• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When are we getting a proper PS3 emulation solution, Sony?

Even if there's enough horsepower for an emulator, there are all kinds of edge cases and weird behavior that wouldn't be present on bare hardware. Sometimes it's ingrained in the game design itself. Lots of fixes and manual adjustments just to get an emulator to 80%+ compatibility, often for the highest profile games. I can't see Sony making a big investment to emulate when a handful of games are stuck on the platform, and can probably just be remade on a modern architecture if consumer demand is there.

Until then it's hardware streaming, copping a used unit, or playing the waiting game for some re-releases.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wish they would do it. Steal an open source one to get started and let's go. I have some games in my digital library I wouldn't mind replaying without having to hook up the PS3.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I still have my ps3 and it would be great to just be able to play the games on PS5, but I don't think Sony cares about the PS3 anymore.
The time they put into a solution wouldn't bring in enough money to justify it I think.

S0ULZB0URNE

Unfortunately I think Sony is likely never to allow this.
Expect remakes instead.
PC is the place to play the PS3 classics.

Last edited:
I was a fool to believe that there was a chance they would have PS3 BC prior to them announcing the PS5, so I'm just not going to get my hopes up again lol.

michael-scott-fooled-me.gif

The only way Sony is ever going to offer PS3 games is when they think they can get you to pay full price for them again. There is absolutely no upside for their bottom line to allow you to play old games you already own when there are new games they can sell to you.

I’ve started using RPCS3 on my Steam Deck, and quite a few of the games run perfectly on there. I still have my PS3, but it would be nice to just have one PlayStation system that plays everything from their legacy.
Absolutely would love to have such a system. I have them all hooked up separately, but would love an omniPlaystation that reads all the discs!

Just forget it. Sony aren't interested and don't have the incentive, or they would've done it. Just because some gamers believe they are entitled to it, Sony don't.

Dodo123

"the power of the cell"
Rumour has it, this processor is still the most powerful piece of hardware out there... It's just the developers that are incompetent and cannot use it properly... At least that's what I've heard...

Last edited:

simpatico

Their stance on BC is reason I won't build a library of Sony games. They turn into coasters in a few years. Especially when most Dual Shock 3's in the world today have dead batteries. Time ravishes all

Holammer

I’ve started using RPCS3 on my Steam Deck, and quite a few of the games run perfectly on there. I still have my PS3, but it would be nice to just have one PlayStation system that plays everything from their legacy.
Some games like Sly Cooper Trilogy have very humble requirements and will run well on a 8 year old CPU. Others like the R&C games will have bugs, don't work, require fixes or UNLIMITED POWER to run well.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I bought a cheap PS3 last summer and its really fun. In terms of gameplay those games hold up well, but its mostly stuck at 720p and 30fps or lower.

There is actually a lot of software stuck on that system, not counting cloud streaming. I figure Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Killzone 2 would still hold up well when enhanced. Many of those games from that era would actually still fly today. We see it on Xbox for example, like X-enhanced stuff such as Mirrors Edge, Dead Space 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Binary Domain and Sonic Generations.. those games still look very good and play well too.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For those who use it, what would you say is the minimum PC spec required for RPCS3 to run the most popular and demanding titles at equal or better performance to original these days?

I'm stressing the high-end because obviously any generalized solution from Sony would have to cover those titles satisfactorily.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I would love for Sony to incorporate PS3 emulation so that games can played natively on current gen instead of streaming but it'll never happen. They don't even want to release remastered collections like they did in PS3-era with PS2 games. They just don't seem to care about their legacy anymore which is a bummer.

Thank God for PC and Rpsc3. I've digitized my entire PS3-collection on PC and it feels great revisiting a lot of classics in higher resolution and framerate. Not all games work perfectly, but they still work a lot better than they ever did on old PS3-hardware.

phaedrus

I bought an almost new Super Slim PS3 for about 55 bucks a few mths ago, and installed a 1TB SATA SSD ($40). Then installed CFW and ripped my most-played PS3 games onto the SSD.

So I don't see much point pining for PS3 emulation 🤷‍♂️

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why would they do when you will buy all the remasters?

Well a remaster has at least a chance of running better than the original version without being brute-forced.

Sorry but that MVG video, impressive as it is, is showing what performance is like on an i9-13900k with a 4080. That's way more grunt (and investment in hardware) than a PS5 has to offer. The problem being that emulating a system is way, way more involved than remastering a single title, especially when there's a decent chance that the game already exists in builds that are way closer at a binary level to PS5.

damiank

Forget about full emulation. Waste of time and effort. If anything they should focus on games not released on PS4 or ps5.

Top Bottom