• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When are we getting a proper PS3 emulation solution, Sony?

solidus12

How hard can it be for Sony to work on a proper PS3 emulator for the PS5/PS5 Pro or PS6?

They could expand their PlayStation store by adding PS3 games to be purchased and at the same time allow us to use our own games (digital and physical)

At some point they’re gonna have to stop using their PS3 server blades for PS+ Premium right?

I just want a console where I can play all my old games man 🥺

Senua

alfred-pennyworth-batman.gif

Probably never honestly.

Sony either doesn't care or despite the amount of talent in their engineering team they just can't figure it out like Microsoft did which is probably down to the terrible Cell architecture.

At this point I would pay full price for a Resistance/Killzone/Infamous set of ports.

Kupfer

How hard can it be for Sony to work on a proper PS3 emulator for the PS5/PS5 Pro or PS6?
I bet my tail that there's already a working PS3 emulator (for the PS5) internally, at least PoCs.
I also hoped for a long time that Sony would do the fanservice, but the way Sony has built up this gen I've lost all hope in it, us old fans playing our old games for completely free on the new console wouldn't be profitable for them, so that won't happen.
You can play the games in all their glory via PsPlus /s

yurinka

According to the dev of the main PS3 emulator for PC and an Insomniac/ICE Team game engine programmer of the PS3 era PS5 can't properly fully emulate at full performance and with no bugs the PS3 due to tech limitations.

PS3 had some crazy hw stuff that was better than current PS5 hw in some areas.

So technically isn't possible on PS5. Maybe in PS6 is possible depending on which hardware does it have.

Last edited:

GHound

Right around the time they allow full frontal nudity in anime games, Nintendo puts their games on PC, and Rockstar finally releases Agent.

No Way Smh GIF

Edellus

I skipped the PS3 (my parents couldn't afford it) and for the longest time I wanted to play games like FFXIII, GoW 3, RDR, GTA V, TLOU, Killzone 2, Infamous, Demon's/Dark Souls etc... Years later, fortunately, I was gifted a PS4 with GTA V and TLoU Remastered bundled in.

I started the PS4 Gen by playing games originally made for the PS3, and I had no problems with it. I had a great time with those 2 games. Later, PS+ added GoW 3 and I played that too. But I was also playing current gen (by then) games, and I was impressed. Infamous SS, FFXV, RDR2, DS3, TLoU2, and others...
I was having the most fun while playing video games of my life. I had not played other PS3 games I wanted to play before, and I was fine.

Now most popular games of that era have been remastered for current gen systems and/or are available in PC (which most even non gamer PCs now should be able to run those games just fine). But I don't feel like going back anymore. It's great that they are there for if I ever want to try them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Perhaps most people feel the same way. They want to keep experiencing what's now and what's next. Maybe they want to experience specific games that were before, but most of those have been remastered or remade; many of which include better visuals and QoL improvements.

If that is indeed the case, then it doesn't really make business sense to invest resources for something that not many people will use, and if they do use it, it will be for very few and specific games. They will most likely make way more money with just remasters and remakes.

It sucks for people who have a PS3 library that they want to go back to but they can't. But if most Playstation owners that exist now never had a PS3 and a PS3 library to begin with, I can't see Sony finding any value in implementing PS3 BC. If they ever do it, it will be for desperate PR reasons (which at the moment they don't have) or the costs become insignificant for them. I don't foresee either happening any time soon.

I just hope this doesn't happen again for PS4/PS5 games. I will keep my PS5 as long as possible just in case.

TL;DR: Never.

Tsaki

At some point they’re gonna have to stop using their PS3 server blades for PS+ Premium right?
Yes and they'll remove the PS3 games from the service. Unless of course they have the telemetry that a good amount of people play those games and sub to the service for it, but I doubt it.

Guilty_AI

They could expand their PlayStation store by adding PS3 games to be purchased and at the same time allow us to use our own games (digital and physical)

They certainly could make one, but they probably judge it wouldn't be worth the investment.

Old classics is just a small portion of the market, not to mention all the games people can buy or already own. The truth is thay can profit more by making remakes/remasters, hyping them up and selling them for 60-70 dollars, or throwing them in bundle with a subscription service.

Last edited:
Probably never honestly.

Sony either doesn't care or despite the amount of talent in their engineering team they just can't figure it out like Microsoft did which is probably down to the terrible Cell architecture.

At this point I would pay full price for a Resistance/Killzone/Infamous set of ports.
Microsoft didn't want to figure it out too, the 360 games are actually remasters

It's not hard tho. They could easily do it if they wanted to, but the simple truth is they DON'T want to. Why? Because now they can re-sell those games to customers again.

xrnzaaas

It's not hard tho. They could easily do it if they wanted to, but the simple truth is they DON'T want to. Why? Because now they can re-sell those games to customers again.
In my opinion Sony has already ported or remastered all PS3 games they felt they could profit on. The problem is the rest will remain in the past (like the Motorstorm or Resistance series).

In my opinion Sony has already ported or remastered all PS3 games they felt they could profit on. The problem is the rest will remain in the past (like the Motorstorm or Resistance series).
Yeah there's a ton of great PS3 games that don't even need remastering or remaking, just add them to bc like MS did. I'd love to see Starhawk brought back with online support again. I'd be all over that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony doesn't care. That much is obvious. Now maybe when Jim Ryan is gone, whoever replaces him will have more respect for their old output and the perspective of gamers who want to play these games.

I don't think this is the case at all - we lived through this really monotonous world of endless capeshit in every media and they didn't bother with Infamous 1-2 on PS4, for example.

Last edited:
Never. The vast majority of Playstation owners already don't care, and their numbers will only increase as the years ago by.

RavageX

I always felt BC was a good idea. Just think of it, if a Sony system is capable of playing discs from ps4, ps3, ps2 and even ps1 that would cause a nice resurgence in the preowned market which would help poor old Gamestop and similar businesses out.

I feel older media needs to be preserved, not forgotten.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I feel you man :(

It's the biggest feature missing from the PS5 at the moment.

But once MGS4 gets an HD re-release next year with vol 2 (fingers crossed) that'll lessen the burden somewhat.

CamHostage

For some reason, the market for old games just disappeared and nobody's in it anymore. Nintendo brings out three old forgotten ROMs every month, Sony sometimes randomly puts a PS1 or PSP game in a PS4/PS5 emulation wrapper, and Xbox supposedly has some more 360 games to add, but nobody is shopping the archive like in the past. I'm not sure what happened that killed the market, and the more you get into multimedia-inclusive platforms like PlayStation then you can get into rights issues for music and performers and such, but it's weird that it's just seemingly over for "PlayStation Classics" and "Virtual Console" and some of these classic brands which not too long ago were major pillars of platform distributors.

...So, to answer the question, probably we're never getting a proper PS3 emulation solution. We only ever got a quasi-proper PS2 emulation solution, and since then, the library has been mostly flushed from the PSN service (with some games popping back up in new wrappers, often at 2X the price they used to be as PS Classics in 2006 or so.)

They could literally just hire the entire PCSX3 team and give those folks resources to build a solution.

PCSX3 is great for getting by as a bootleg solution to the problem of there not being BC PlayStation consoles anymore (or for pirating old games), plus it has enhancements which make the games stand out nicely and play better on a big screen than before. However, it's really not in the range of accuracy and performance that a company would use in a professional product to begin selling catalog titles again (albeit that hasn't stopped companies from developing emulators which ran way worse, and it also hasn't stopped some BC providers from just ripping off the rippers and using bootleg emulation systems in their pro services...)

(Apparently the API for PCSX3 would have to be rewritten as well, I'm seeing it's made for Direct3D.)

Last edited:
BC being neglected this gen by all 3 companies is the biggest disappointment of the gen. MS was on the right track with 4k patches and fps boost but they just dropped their program. Sony is just awful with their treatment of legacy games. See Jim Ryan's comments on this. Nintendo dropped the virtual console for a sub service that has such a slow rate of games being added. At least with Nintendo you can play their games without lag, unlike the joke of a service Sony provides.

Shifty1897

Considering how bad the PS2 emulation is on PS5, you really don't want this. Emulation is a lot harder than people think.

Top Bottom