• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3- Heavenly Sword screens (56k)

dorio

Banned
gofreak said:
In one of his earlier comments, but he went on to say "Take off the DOF and motion blur and you have the in-game.", where there is no AA.

Looking closely at the shots, AA isn't particularly evident - if they had added AA, I'd expect it to be flawless.
AA definitely looks like its there to me especially compared to the tennis2K shots posted earlier.

Pimpwerx

dorio said:
AA definitely looks like its there to me especially compared to the tennis2K shots posted earlier.
HS shots are 1080p. That tennis game is 720p. You're talking about twice the resolution. Any additional blurring will be more noticeable at 1080p than 720p, thus the reason it looks cleaner. That and who knows what kind of filters that tennis game is using. PEACE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dorio said:

Would you expect to see jaggies like on the flags in one of the HS shots if they were applying AA, with an offline post-processor no less? I'm fairly covinced they didn't add in AA with the post-processing - apparently DOF and motion blur was all that was added.

Deano explained the lack of significant aliasing as down to a mix of the HDR and their camera model - lowpass filtering can effectively give some anti-aliasing. The resolution helps too obviously, aswell as other scene postprocessing (in-engine processing like DOF and motion blur - while these were artificially added in the E3 trailer, DOF has since been added in-game, and motion blur is being added at the moment apparently).

golem

gofreak said:
I think the motion blur would be in-engine.

More notably, according to Deano the E3 trailer hasn't any AA.

DeanoC said:
Take off the DOF and motion blur and you have the in-game.

im not surprised the original screens doesnt have AA, but it seems that we are in no way seeing the original frames anyways (trailer=postprocessed)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
golem said:
im not surprised the original screens doesnt have AA, but it seems that we are in no way seeing the original frames anyways (trailer=postprocessed)

You're seeing the game as it was at the time, but with DOF and motion blur added in with the post-processor, and that's it.

Given that DOF has since been added in-game and motion blur is on the way, I think it was reasonable to add them for the trailer. The DOF implementation according to Deano isn't quite up to scratch with the one in the post-processing package used in the trailer, but I think it should be reasonably "there" as a package.

Borys

Banned
Coming from a PC perspective - I don't think AA is needed in any resolution > 1280*1024. Now I don't now what kind of resolution 1080p is but I assume pretty high (1280*1080?) and in that kind of res you don't really need AA.

AF would be more than welcome though.

sangreal

Borys said:
Coming from a PC perspective - I don't think AA is needed in any resolution > 1280*1024. Now I don't now what kind of resolution 1080p is but I assume pretty high (1280*1080?) and in that kind of res you don't really need AA.

AF would be more than welcome though.

1080p is 1920x1080

I disagree though. I PC game at 1600x1200 and still need AA. To demonstrate why, I'll use the same SS I used on B3d:

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1217/full-res/1117046235.jpg

Pimpwerx

sangreal said:
1080p is 1920x1080

I disagree though. I PC game at 1600x1200 and still need AA. To demonstrate why, I'll use the same SS I used on B3d:

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1217/full-res/1117046235.jpg
I've seen that pic used for this discussion before. But was that screen really rendered at that resolution? It almot looks like a 720p pic scaled to that resolution. I mean, my RC helicopter flight sim at 1600x1050 doesn't stairstep even half as much as that, even with the worst contrast situations and with no AA. There's just something awfully wrong about the image quality of that pic. But if that's what a raw 1920p pic looks like, then there will never be enough AA......ever. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Shogmaster said:
Everything looks good, and quite believable for PS3.

Glad her in game face is far better designed then the placeholder pre-rendered face from the conference.
That's supposed to be the high-end model though.

DeanoC said:
Actually the face is the only rendered thing in the demo, its uses our high-end model (used for the surface extraction) rendering in Maya and composited onto the in-game background. We were orignally intending to do it in-engine as well, but there just wasn't time to implement all the tech for a closeup (we don't have facial animation system at this moment).

The other closeup of her face (after the aerial fight when she is falling down) is in-game.

So...you might want to prepare for more of the ugly in the final product. :lol ;) PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
That's supposed to be the high-end model though.

So...you might want to prepare for more of the ugly in the final product. :lol ;) PEACE.

It's gonna be painful to look at that face if that's the final assets.

Edit: Oh, I get it. So the normal ingame face is gonna be fine, but close up high LOD man-face is gonna be painful to look at. :lol

flsh

Banned
I don't like the modeling and the face of the main character. It seems like it was intended though.

It would be nice if people would start saying in the title of the thread if the screens are game play\ingame or just cg. It's annoying coming to a thread expecting game play screens and getting something else.

Striek

akascream said:
We are a long way from final, so steady fps aren't an issue yet. We are confident that the battlefield scene is viable on final target hardware.
(its a CPU killer for so many entities, its at the top of my list to be moved off the main core),
The whole thing is running on the PPE and they haven't even tried optimising it.
Just read what you want to read.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
flsh said:
It would be nice if people would start saying in the title of the thread if the screens are game play\ingame or just cg. It's annoying coming to a thread expecting game play screens and getting something else.

Again, these aren't offline CG :p They're in-engine screens with motion blurring and depth of field added (both of which have, or are in the process of being added to the engine itself since anyway).

flsh

Banned
I know this is not CG. I just said it would be nice if people would say what kind of screen it is and wrote all the possibilities. And in game is still not as good as game play :( It's like all those Halo 2 screens where you see an MC from a front angle. It may be the way it will look, but not the way I will see things.

dorio

Banned
i-want-to-believe-fx.jpg

Pimpwerx

Striek said:
The whole thing is running on the PPE and they haven't even tried optimising it.
Just read what you want to read.
Not entirely true. I believe he said it it runs "mostly" on the PPE. I think this game was in dev before moving to the PS3, so they've had some time to tinker with multithreading. It's probably using one or more SPEs for certain other things. Though, the multithreading is far from optimized. PEACE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pimpwerx said:
Not entirely true. I believe he said it it runs "mostly" on the PPE. I think this game was in dev before moving to the PS3, so they've had some time to tinker with multithreading. It's probably using one or more SPEs for certain other things. Though, the multithreading is far from optimized. PEACE.

IIRC, the last time he talked about this he said the game currently was using the SPEs only in so far as Havok was using them, which is probably something that's improving all the time as Havok's PS3 implementation matures. I get the impression that post-E3 they started working on moving more of their own stuff off the main core.

Top Bottom