• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and Xbox One in 2014: A Video Game Onslaught

All 3 systems have better games coming out in 2014 then 90% of the games that came out for last gen for the entire generation.

Simply cannot wait for DK Country, KI Season 2, Below, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, X, Shadow of the Beast, Oddworld, Driveclub, Titanfall, and whatever Sony has up their sleeve that they will reveal later.

noah111

Still Alive
They are an independent developer and Microsoft made the best deal to bankroll the kind of game they wanted to make.

What more reason is necessary?
None, it's just given how they broke the news to everyone about going multi-plat and all, I guess it made them seem like they genuinely cared about making games that as many people as possible get to play. So in that context, it's like going backwards again on what they said.

In any case it is what it is, just curious.

Goddammit if Sunset Overdrive is Ratchet-tier, it will be very hard to resist getting an Xbone
As someone who replayed through Up Your Arsenal about 68 times, I'd have to agree.

I really don't want to own two consoles this gen but that's proving difficult to do. Wonder if i'll be able to say the same a two years from now.

So

XB1: 9 next gen console exclusives
PS4: 19 next gen console exclusives
Multiplatform: 18 next gen games

So PS4 has more exclusives announced than multiplatform games announced and it has 10 more announced exclusives than XB1?!?!?! Wow!!!!!!! That's unreal O o
But which of those 19 are indies, downloadables, or just plain not good.

I'd still the playing field is pretty even as far as quality games go.

Doesn't Sony have considerably more studios than Microsoft does? And all of Sony's studios are working on PS4 games so if I'm right Sony has more games (and more opportunities to have truly quality titles) than MS does.

Just like us 90s gamers had to accept the cold hard truth so must 00s gamers discover that tastes change and people move to different genres and different types of games become in vogue. It's a new era now.

Sorry bro, we're in the 20-teens now. We're getting old.

edit: edited my edit.. didn't realize the post was in response

Zalman

Great job with this thread. I gotta admit there aren't that many games here that interest me, to be honest.

I'll be getting:
inFamous: Second Son
Watch Dogs

Also these (not sure if they're 2014 or not):
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III (DEFINITELY not 2014)
Mirror's Edge
Uncharted 4

I might get:
DriveClub
The Order 1886

Another great thread, Shinobi, cheers (although it's still missing quite a few notable games like Rime, Uncharted 4 and Fable Legends, but I understand it's a work in progress). Adding Wii U to the mix would also be nice.

I suppose things are going to get even more interesting after the VGX, and then again after the GDC (where I presume Microsoft might finally launch their ID@Xbox program). It's not a bad start to the generation, not at all.

T.O.P

Banned
Almost all must buy for me

-Below
-D4
-Halo
-Plants vs Zombies GW
-Project Spark
-Quantum Break
-Sunset Overdrive
-Titanfall
-The Crew
-Destiny
-The Division
-Dragon Age Inquisition
-Dying Light
-The Evil WItihin
-MGS
-The Witcher 3

gonna be a great year dayum

btw, isn't Strider supposed to come out in 2014?

Hammer24

Banned
D4 looks interesting. At least after the success of the Borderlands franchise I had hoped to see more cell shading games. I´ll cross my fingers this´ll turn out good.

Pistolero

Doesn't Sony have considerably more studios than Microsoft does? And all of Sony's studios are working on PS4 games so if I'm right Sony has more games (and more opportunities to have truly quality titles) than MS does.

I think it's the opposite, actually. Sony has 15 first party studios, while Microsoft has about 20, if wikipedia is to be trusted...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
MS has more studios, Sony has significantly more employees.
SOE alone fired more employees on a single day two years ago than the 12 smallest studios by Microsoft combined.

Sickbean

Wow, such games, so excite.

Seriously though, fun times ahead for 2014 - is it just me or are developers making a big return to more colourful games these days? Hopefully 50 shades of brown will be less and less common.

AniHawk

I don't get why you would even say that. So we should not be excited for what's to come? Impressive or not it's exciting. These consoles just launched and a new generation is underway.

it was a clumsy way of doing it, but i was trying to get people to understand how others think instead of being outright dismissive. i never said you shouldn't be excited. i don't even know where you'd get that idea. if anything, i think people can be excited about next year no matter what platforms they choose.

Chinner

Banned
year 2014 will be year of wario. mark it on your calender, 2014 will be the year nintendo turns the wii u around and wins the console war.

PD, ND, SSM, GG, SCEJ, Bend, Sucker Punch, Quantic Dream, Media Molecule, San Diego, Ready at Dawn how can MS have more?

Microsoft seemingly has more studios at the moment, but they're not necessarily all game studios (some seem to be producing mostly apps or original TV content), and many of them are brand new, with no proven track record.

Regardless, great games can come from unexpected sources, just as it's possible for veteran studios to produce duds. And then there are first party publishing deals with independent developers, which muddy the waters even more. In any case, I'd say they're both well positioned to provide their customers with plenty of worthwhile games.

Fjordson

Man, I've been thinking for a while now that I would pick up a PS4 sometime in the next few months and that was it. But this thread is reminding me that Xbone has some really interesting games also. Would rather not drop the cash for both systems, but I still like Halo and as a big fan of Remedy I'll probably have to play Quantum Break. My wallet is gonna be hurting soon =[

Damn ive never really been one to play indie games, but ill be damned if those ones in the OP dont make me intrigued.

I think ill be playing ALOT of lower budget games this year and ill be better for it cash and gaming wise lol

Thank You based Sony.

Sushen

How come games for one platform is assumed all good while the others is assumed half "plain not good" even without playing any?

Ricky_R

Read title, glanced at the OP and then looked at my wallet.

didnt_read_old_school_dance_gif.gif

KOHIPEET

My wallet is screaming. I will pick up an X1 just for halo, but 2014 definitely won't be the year I will. There are just way too many games for PS4 right now.

Also, to me it's The Order which stands out the most, somehow it's graphics just screams next-gen.

Below is only a timed exclusive to XOne, right? Looks cool, hope it comes to PS4 and/or PC.

EDIT: Google answered my questions:

"Like many games on stage at E3, Below will be available on the Xbox One first. Then, after a period of time, Capy can bring it elsewhere," the developer said. It noted that "It's always been this way," though it couldn't talk about it at E3. Things were a bit crazy at the time.

Awesome.

noah111

Still Alive
How many have you played that you can already make such an assessment of overall quality?
I haven't, but from the titles i'm looking at it doesn't seem so incredibly polarizing to say the PS4 has all the best titles. There's good stuff all around.

(note, i'm getting a PS4)

Mondy

Banned
Definitely getting:

- Titanfall
- Destiny
- The Order
- South Park RPG
- Infamous: SS
- Watch Dogs

Wait and see:

- Below
- Bound by Flame
- deep down
- Octodad
- Shadow of the Beast
- Child of Light
- The Division
- Mad Max
- Thief

mattp

i almost wish they would stop even calling anything "indie" or "downloadable"
games are games

its so fucking stupid that anyone has the mindset of "oh well those are just indie games"

Top Bottom