• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 outputs vs. PS5 outputs

Which console has a better output for the first three years?

• PS4

Votes: 67 57.3%
  • PS5

Votes: 50 42.7%

• Total voters

Justin9mm

Even though I had a PSVR, I wouldn't really include VR games in the line up, given the more niche player base. It's hard to call though, bangers in both, looks to be almost equal. I feel like last gen had more but looking at the PS5 output, there is a lot I like in there.

Last edited:

SpokkX

I wastly prefer the ps5 output overall with Returnal, Demons souls, Horizon FW and 60fps versions of tsushima, death stranding etc

However. Ps4 has Bloodborne - one of the best games ever made

StueyDuck

Different times and places. It's hard to judge something based on list wars. Ps4 had just launched as I was transitioning from uni into work.

Ps5 came out mid covid and while most of our lives were having shit hit the fan. I have far less time for games now and they are more expensive 🤷‍♂️

So yes in list wars the one with more games is better. But in real life they are just different experiences. I could never play games now like I did destiny 1 at launch. Where I'd rush home from work as early as possible and hit the reset nightfall/strike/raid with mates and try get a good drop.

But PS5 and games like returnal got us through really shitty times around the world even if I could only squeeze and hour or 2 a day

Last edited:

skit_data

I can't understand how the poll can be skewed towards PS4, it was a pretty damn barren launch IMO. I the PS4 at launch but outside of some Battlefield and CoD I found myself playing my PS3 most of the time (GT6 releasing only on PS3 after PS4s launch was the most stupid thing ever... I'll take 2 years of crossgen any day of the week over Sonys previous bizarre approach).

The first game that really had me using the PS4 more regularly was Bloodborne, 1,5 year into the generation.
Playstations output has been really solid this gen in comparison. Returnal is a modern classic IMO and the bigger AAA crossgen releases have been great as well, they simply feel and play better on a PS5 despite not being primarily developed for it.

Perrott

Gold Member
The PS5 has much better and ambitious games overall, but a foggy outlook of its future beyond 2023 due to Sony's lack of communication in regards to their first-party projects.

By comparison, the PS4 had Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Detroit: Become Human, Gran Turismo Sport and Gravity Rush 2 planned for 2017 and beyond. An exciting roadmap that the PS5 lacks at the moment, barring Marvel's Wolverine, Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake, Concord and Fairgames - four of which we have only seen in CG form, with one of them also undergoing development issues.

zedinen

PS5 is crushing PS4 sales after pandemic measures were lifted

PS5 (Metacritic 85)
PS4 (Metacritic 78)

PS5

Demon's Souls (92)
Spider-Man MM (85)
Astro (83)
Sackboy (79)
Destruction AllStars (62)
Returnal (86)
RC Rift Apart (88)
Uncharted Legacy (87)
Nioh Collection (87)
Death Stranding DC (85)
GOT Director's Cut (87)
TLOU Part I (88)
Horizon FW (88)
Gran Turismo 7 (87)
GoW Ragnarok (94)

PS4
Knack (54)
Resogun (84)
Killzone Shadowfall (73)
LB3 (79)
Driveclub (71)
Second Son (80)
First Light (73)
The Order (63)
Tearaway Unfolded (81)
TLOU Remastered (95)
Uncharted Collection (86)
Gravity Rush (80)
GOW III Remastered (81)
Bloodborne (92)
Helldivers (81)
Until Dawn (79)

PS4 and it's not even close. PS5 has been the most disappointing Playstation yet for me. Still not seeing any reason to buy one and it's been out almost 3 years.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Including the VR stuff is ridiculous. Also not including FFXVI which is a paid exclusive is also kind of ridiculous. Re-releases also muddle things. If you had all of their systems, these titles are likely meaningless to you.

All in all it is basically the same small output of exclusives that people with access to other platforms would give a shit about.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Wow people really don't remember how dry the first 3 years of the PS4 were, compared to the PS5's.
Up until Uncharted 4 we really didn't have much going on. Bloodborne belonged to a niche that didn't open up until Elden Ring, and The Order was poorly received at the time. Many of the games in that 3 year list aren't even PS3 remasters, they're PS Vita remasters.

I don't have much interest in Horizon's DLC where the biggest thing about it is
I don't really get why that path is a shock to some people, considering she's a clone of Elisabet Sobeck and IIRC her preferences are explicit even in the first game.
There are many wrong things about Aloy in Forbidden West, but that part is just meh.

FingerBang

I remembe the first 3 tears of PS4 being pretty dry, but things picked up with Bloodborne and Uncharted 4. The PS5 has had already a bunch of great games, but most of these games are on PS4 as well. To me, they don't count.

Were they exclusive, it'd be a draw.

Don't be e fucking loser and play the game, I'll save you some grief and spoil to you that you can choose the outcome, lesbian or not lesbian.
Oh, for fuck's sake, let's cut the bullshit. The only choice you have is to kiss, but she having feeling for that annoying brat is pretty clear during the game. It's not an option, you can't make her kiss or have feelings for any of the male characters. That's your only choice.

Drizzlehell

Banned
First 4 years of PS4 are looking pretty weak tbh. Even weaker than PS5's. I mean, sure, there is some overlap between generations but we're talking about how the first few years of each console's lifetime compare, and PS4's was definitely less interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom