• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 outputs vs. PS5 outputs

Which console has a better output for the first three years?

• PS4

Votes: 67 57.3%
  • PS5

Votes: 50 42.7%

• Total voters
FxKwfAwX0AoLZrw
FxKwgYkWAAczsbT

SIE Published Games, Owned IP Only, Includes 2nd Party Games, Remasters, Timed & Console Exclusives

I like the PS5 first three years outputs more than PS4, but cannot say it going forward, as as the second half of PS4 were strong as fuck. The recent PS showcase didn't bode well either. We all know from either rumors or confirmations what Sony's all first party studios are baking, but when those games will be ready is the real question. Is 2024 gonna be as barren as 2023 in terms of first party games?

What are your thoughts on PS4 VS PS5 outputs?

Azurro

Banned
This year has been a little disappointing. I don't have much interest in Horizon's DLC where the biggest thing about it is
you discover Aloy is...big shock... lesbian
. Such stunning and brave. Anyway, I don't have a PSVR2 and not planning on it. If Spiderman 2, Stellar Blade and Helldivers end up being great, then the year will be saved.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

This year has been a little disappointing. I don't have much interest in Horizon's DLC where the biggest thing about it is you discover Aloy is...big shock... lesbian. Such stunning and brave. Anyway, I don't have a PSVR2 and not planning on it. If Spiderman 2, Stellar Blade and Helldivers end up being great, then the year will be saved.
Don't be e fucking loser and play the game, I'll save you some grief and spoil to you that you can choose the outcome, lesbian or not lesbian.

Banned
most of the PS4 stuff was pretty mediocre to bad.
but it had Bloodborne in year 3, so it automatically wins... and Last Guardian

also Arkham Knight if we add multiplat to it

Last edited:

KillaJamm

This year has been a little disappointing. I don't have much interest in Horizon's DLC where the biggest thing about it is you discover Aloy is...big shock... lesbian. Such stunning and brave. Anyway, I don't have a PSVR2 and not planning on it. If Spiderman 2, Stellar Blade and Helldivers end up being great, then the year will be saved.
Thanks for spoiling that you absolute tool, still yet to get round to getting the DLC. Use spoiler tags you idiot.

GametimeUK

I may not be talking about just the first 3 years specifically here, but just seeing that list of the full range of games over the PS4's life cycle just solidifies that the PS3 was my favourite generation for Sonys output. The PS4 felt like it provided a lot, but upon reflection the PS3 just bombarded us with all kinds of exclusives.

I think I probably rate the PS5 slightly more than PS4 so far. Aside from Bloodborne there wasn't much in the first 3 years. I remember wanting new exclusives around that time. PS5 has more exclusives released already even if some are cross gen.

ungalo

Those lists are always cringy. Remove remasters, crossgen games and DLCs entirely.

You know PS5 has lost when they put VR games in the list and games that are not out yet and that we didn't hear from since last year (Stellar Blade). Why can't we add PS Vita games then ?

Like to which extent people can go to try to make it seems like we have more games than ever ? Usually Playstation players don't do that, it's more Xbox players that try to make big lists with whatever they can found. Maybe it shows something.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
FxKwfAwX0AoLZrw
FxKwgYkWAAczsbT

SIE Published Games, Owned IP Only, Includes 2nd Party Games, Remasters, Timed & Console Exclusives

I like the PS5 first three years outputs more than PS4, but cannot say it going forward, as as the second half of PS4 were strong as fuck. The recent PS showcase didn't bode well either. We all know from either rumors or confirmations what Sony's all first party studios are baking, but when those games will be ready is the real question. Is 2024 gonna be as barren as 2023 in terms of first party games?

What are your thoughts on PS4 VS PS5 outputs?

There are a lot of PSN games missing on the PS4 pic. Also, the Nioh games aren't first-party.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There are a lot of PSN games missing on the PS4 pic. Also, the Nioh games aren't first-party.
They aren't the only non-1st party games on the list - they clarify on twitter it's owned-IPs and published by. So I guess that confirms what we kinda suspected - NiOh IP is owned by SIE, hence why it's never been anywhere other than PC.

Now the *real* bit of info here is that NiOh not only got a sequel, PS4Pro patch/upgrade for first game, two remasters for PS5 and PC ports, while BB is still stuck on PS4 without anything - yea BB faithful, might as well face it that someone in SIE really doesn't want us to ever get what we've been clamoring for.
/Dreamisdead and all that.

Anyway I think first 2 years were handily much worse on PS4 (even if we expanded the list with releases published by SIE but not owned - like Kena was basically better than the entire 2 year catalogue on PS4).
Year 3 is a wash mostly (PS4 got good, finally) - and year 4 we haven't seen for PS5 yet (the list says nothing at this point - I don't know what any of those games will turn out like, including Spiderman).

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
The graphs include SIE published games, that's why there are some games from third party developers. Nioh is an example and was indeed advertised as PS4 exclusive.
They aren't the only non-1st party games on the list - they clarify on twitter it's owned-IPs and published by. So I guess that confirms what we kinda suspected - NiOh IP is owned by SIE, hence why it's never been anywhere other than PC.
No, I mean, they literally have nothing to do with Nioh, it's a Koei Tecmo game that Sony just published outside of Japan. They did the same with FF7 back in the PS1 era.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No, I mean, they literally have nothing to do with Nioh, it's a Koei Tecmo game that Sony just published outside of Japan.
Other than Japanese publishing, how's that different from Bloodborne? Or Helldivers? 'Owned IP' doesn't pertain to anything regarding 'what they had to do with the game'.

Eg. Oculus owns IPs to The Climb, Edge Of Nowhere and Lone Echo (just to name a few notable ones) - none of which they had 'anything to do with' - other than $ exchanges and publishing agreements.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ps4 one of the greats but from a AAA standpoint ps5 is something got be happy about really impressive first few years.

Sony fans these last 10 years
Video Games Clap GIF by Call of Duty League

ungalo

Because that's a separate, standalone platform. PSVR2 isn't.
You pay 600 dollars for the headset, that doesn't make a big difference to me.

But to be fair i didn't see the crossgen games were included in both lists and the PSVR 1 was also included, the comparison is fair even if the lists look bigger than what they actually are.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Other than Japanese publishing, how's that different from Bloodborne? Or Helldivers? 'Owned IP' doesn't pertain to anything regarding 'what they had to do with the game'.
Because, again, they had nothing to do with the development of the game, it was all the work of Koei Tecmo. Japan Studio didn't assist in its creation like they did with Bloodborne, or XDEV is now doing with Rise of the Ronin.

Zero_Karisma

Neo Member
The only logical way for me to look at this comparison is by looking at them both with rerelease/remakes/remastered games that were available on past generations removed from the equation. For example Last of Us is a PS3 game. The better version is clearly on subsequent consoles but it still originated on PS3. The comparison to me really looks like this:

PS4:
Knack
Resogun
Killzone Shadowfall
LB3
Driveclub
Second Son
Last Light
The Order
Bloodbourne
Helldivers
Until Dawn

PS5:
Astro
Sackboy
Destruction AllStars
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank RA
Death Stranding
Horizon FW
Gran Turismo 7
GoW Ragnarok

The games italicized are the gamers I consider top tier or very good. When you look at it from this prospective, PS5 clearly is the winner.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Because, again, they had nothing to do with the development of the game, it was all the work of Koei Tecmo.
I wouldn't presume to know that unless you have insider info for it, especially knowing how Sony publishing support usually works (it's deeper than with most other publishers IME).
But moreover it's irrelevant what the developer engagement was - the IP deals aren't put in contract based on some clause of 'code-contribution' or whatever it is that you're suggesting. Oculus had no hand in development of listed examples either, didn't change the outcome.

Or to put it from the opposite angle - Sony was deeply involved with development of NoMan's Sky, as well as publishing and distribution - but in the end, they don't hold that IP (and hence, it's absent from the published list too).

Raonak

Banned
Early years of the PS4 was pretty damn dry. Only Until Dawn and Bloodborne were great.

PS5 was a lot better imo; Demons, Miles, Returnal, Ratchet, GT7, Horizon, GOW.

nial

Gold Member
I wouldn't presume to know that unless you have insider info for it, especially knowing how Sony publishing support usually works (it's deeper than with most other publishers IME).
But moreover it's irrelevant what the developer engagement was - the IP deals aren't put in contract based on some clause of 'code-contribution' or whatever it is that you're suggesting. Oculus had no hand in development of listed examples either, didn't change the outcome.
Except we know how Sony works with first-party development deals, and there's virtually no documentation of their involvement in the game, other than acquiring publishing duties ONLY in the West, because it's again, a Koei Tecmo-published title.
YZ5mDqJ.jpg

Sony was deeply involved with development of NoMan's Sky, as well as publishing
Publishing the Blu-Ray version, that's it. Their involvement in No Man's Sky wasn't all that different compared to something like Stray.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Except we know how Sony works with first-party development deals
You still haven't answered why is that relevant for discussion of who owns the IP. Developing does not mean you also hold the rights - industry (and Sony's own portfolio) is full of examples of that. And in this entire argument you never once addressed who owns NiOh's IP - only that Sony didn't touch developing it.

Publishing the Blu-Ray version, that's it. Their involvement in No Man's Sky wasn't all that different compared to something like Stray.
I don't know the details of what they did with Stray - but I do have 1st hand info what NMS did, and that involved a lot more than disc-publishing, including development.

Last edited:

yurinka

PS4 has more quantity, but PS5 has more quality. Specially if you add the 3rd party exclusives and indie exclusives.

Trunx81

PS4 had Knack in the first year and is therefore clearly the winner.

And on a more serious note: Most of the PS5 games also are on PS4. Just now we are seeing AAA games that are not cross-gen

Woopah

Because, again, they had nothing to do with the development of the game, it was all the work of Koei Tecmo. Japan Studio didn't assist in its creation like they did with Bloodborne, or XDEV is now doing with Rise of the Ronin.
I'd still argue that Sony covering the Western publishing costs is an important investment in the game.

Ozzie666

PS5 isn't bad considering the pandemic and the generation transition. But it obviously didn't go to plan. I still wonder if PS5 was meant to release a earlier than it did, but the games weren't there. Too many cross gen titles and remakes, but it saved their bacon.

The reduction of input is the same for every company struggling to keep up with the increased resources needed for assets.

SeraphJan

Both were pretty good

BTW Uncharted 4 was so polished for a 2016 game, it felt like a PS5 game launched in 2023, the Remastered didn't really improved anything noticeable

Last edited:

sachos

Its actually pretty equal! Launch was way better for PS5, year 1 and 2 seems debatable enough, year 3 though seems like a PS4 win. I don't know what to vote.

Top Bottom