• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Will Receive Software-Based Ray-Tracing for Crysis Remake

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More into it:

It's suggesting that the company that Sony was trying to strike a deal with to implement software-based ray-tracing for current PS4 games might be Crytek. This could represent something like the HDR implementation/emulation on SDR, non-HDR games. Pretty interesting stuff, and could as well help to minimize the ray tracing penalty in future next gen gaming to have a hybrid solution.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
So, will make my base PS4 suffer even more? Need to protect my ears of this loud.
tumblr_p8hq3bZ5pL1s1v3r1o2_500.gifv

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It has nothing to do with real-time ray-tracing, it's mostly pre-baked and should probably have minor effects on performance if any. Not much informed in this matter, but it's an interesting subject if it can boost visuals with less performance penalty.

This might as well make developing games much easier as well, as games still use prebaked light effects as ray tracing is still extremely taxing and next gen will continue with hybrid raytracing.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
RayTracing all thanks to SSD.

Yes, it's a new type of calculation, unprecedented where the SSD can use the I/O to make pre-ray-tracing calculation up to 70% before sending it to the RT cores in the GPU. With this method, a sample of 8K@120fps, HDR, Ray Tracing of Gran Turismo on PS5 leaked:

The future is summarized in SSD.

I hope no one thinks that I'm serious here, but I think the reply represents the perfect combination with the quote above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom