• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Die Shot has been revealed

LivingD3AD

OP, put the higher res and colorized versions up there

EuNU-3oXMAIiJ6a

aXpuGZ8.png

Last edited:
Cerny never claimed that it had an Infinity Cache.

The only thing he made a big deal about was cache scrubbers.

Oh no I was talking about the CUs.

20200329145127.jpg

If this die shot reveals that the CUs are RDNA1 CUs then Cerny would have been lying to us.

I don't think he would talk about RDNA2 CUs if they weren't in the PS5. It would be kind of silly to talk about something that's not even in the console.

Last edited:
The end picture looks clearly see the 8 cores for the cpu. Half of us know it clearly has no infinite cache on the gpu but there still could be a unified cache on the cpu

To those about to die....I salute you.

jack black salute GIF

I honestly don't even know what I am looking at here. Can someone explain what this means, exactly? Is all we learn here that it may be missing some Zen 2 features?

I read somewhere that usually consoles have strip down components because they are not PCs. Some things that the PC component has is just not needed in the console. It could be the case here.

FireFly

He did specifically mention RDNA2 CUs in the presentation. If the CUs are RDNA1 then he would be lying.
Ok, well I can't believe there has been no advancement since RDNA 1, as the clock speeds the PS5 achieves were not possible with RDNA 1, especially in the power envelope Sony was targeting. The best explanation is that Sony were able to take advantage of the 30% clockspeed gain at the same power level, that AMD achieved with the RDNA 2 CUs.

Garani

I can't really tell either, but it very well could be. Probably heavily modified if so though.

Seems to be missing unified/infinity cache.

No one (other than some fan boys) said that the PS5 had infinity cache. For that matter neither does the XSX/S.

CUs wise, it would be interesting if it were RDNA1: it would mean that the XSX actually looses to a previous generation architecture, LOL! But don't count on it: CUs are RDNA2 as declared by Cerny. If not there would be a hell of a liability for Sony in court.

No one (other than some fan boys) said that the PS5 had infinity cache. For that matter neither does the XSX/S.

CUs wise, it would be interesting if it were RDNA1: it would mean that the XSX actually looses to a previous generation architecture, LOL! But don't count on it: CUs are RDNA2 as declared by Cerny. If not there would be a hell of a liability for Sony in court.

Don't the CUs have to be RDNA2, since they enable/support ray tracing (RDNA1 cannot do RT, right?)?

Garani

It basically confirms that the PS5 is running on magic.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

SOLD! I am good with that! :D

Don't the CUs have to be RDNA2, since they enable/support ray tracing (RDNA1 cannot do RT, right?)?

Well, RT is something attached to the CU, not part of it. But it's easier to start from an architecture that already has all the bits and pieces for RT than to try to attach is to an old generation architecture.

In the end it doesn't matter: the games do the talking, and as far as we can see, Sony is on par.

PS5 can't possibly have RDNA1 CU, RDNA 1 CU doesn't have RT hardware/intesection engine in it.

Unless they somehow bolted it on?

I remember there were some rumors lime that in the past.

But even if they shoved RT hardware I to the CU it still doesn't explain the high clocks. High clocks seem to be something that's possible on RDNA2 and not RDNA1.

Brigandier

Man the garbage PS5 just can't catch a break can it?.

No games, No Gamepass equivalent, Controllers failing left and right, Overheating, Coil whine that is so loud it makes the original 360 sound whisper quiet, Hideous design, Extremely Weak GPU and Weak CPU compared to the MASSIVE power difference of the Series X... And now the die has finally confirmed that we was lied too it's all just inferior RDNA1 tech... What next more lies about specs... I bet the ram is not as good as the series X either.

All these Lord Cerny posts on the web are cringe when we all know the true facts are that he is a fraud and him and Sony cheaped out making an inferior machine and are masquerading a lie that the PS5 is actually much better than a PS4 Pro...The amount of exclusives MS have on their superior machine is amazing... The age of Sony is done.

/s

Man the garbage PS5 just can't catch a break can it?.

No games, No Gamepass equivalent, Controllers failing left and right, Overheating, Coil whine that is so loud it makes the original 360 sound whisper quiet, Hideous design, Extremely Weak GPU and Weak CPU compared to the MASSIVE power difference of the Series X... And now the die has finally confirmed that we was lied too it's all just inferior RDNA1 tech... What next more lies about specs... I bet the ram is not as good as the series X either.

All these Lord Cerny posts on the web are cringe when we all know the true facts are that he is a fraud and him and Sony cheaped out making an inferior machine and are masquerading a lie that the PS5 is actually much better than a PS4 Pro...The amount of exclusives MS have on their superior machine is amazing... The age of Sony is done.

/s

I almost missed the ispoiler there. Thought you were account suiciding for a second.

Top Bottom