• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

TheKratos

Anyone else noticed you can’t charge the Dual Sense 5 unless it’s hooked up to the PS5 via USB-C?

For instance using a USB-C charger I can charge my Switch Pro controller directly plugged into a charger separate from the Switch with no issues.

Is this true?

Yamisan

Anyone else noticed you can’t charge the Dual Sense 5 unless it’s hooked up to the PS5 via USB-C?

For instance using a USB-C charger I can charge my Switch Pro controller directly plugged into a charger separate from the Switch with no issues.
Both of my controllers charge just fine using my Galexy s10e wall charger. Very fast too.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Both of my controllers charge just fine using my Galexy s10e wall charger. Very fast too.
My controller only charges hooked up to the PS5’s USB port, strangely. I tried a phone charger; nothing. I tried plugging it into another power source (my PS4 Pro in rest mode) with both the same and a different power cord and neither charged.

Does your controller light up when charging? Because if it doesn’t, it’s not.

Yamisan

My controller only charges hooked up to the PS5’s USB port, strangely. I tried a phone charger; nothing. I tried plugging it into another power source (my PS4 Pro in rest mode) with both the same and a different power cord and neither charged.

Of course it lights up, I know how to charge a controller.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Of course it lights up, I know how to charge a controller.
Everything else on my PS5 is working fine, such a weird quirk. Also, there's a chance that a future patch may fix it, or I just got a bad controller. No idea.

Hawk269

The number of crashes has been a lot more than I though. Demon's Souls has crashed at least 4 times, Planet Coaster 3 times, Sackboy 2 times, Astro Bot 2 times. I have not played too much since the latest firmware update, but yeah the number of crashes is a bit high.

Yamisan

The number of crashes has been a lot more than I though. Demon's Souls has crashed at least 4 times, Planet Coaster 3 times, Sackboy 2 times, Astro Bot 2 times. I have not played too much since the latest firmware update, but yeah the number of crashes is a bit high.
Are you using rest mode? The 2nd day of owning the ps5 I had my first and only crash during Godfall, it caused the system to turn off. I haven't used rest mode since then and magically no more crashing.

Hawk269

Are you using rest mode? The 2nd day of owning the ps5 I had my first and only crash during Godfall, it caused the system to turn off. I haven't used rest mode since then and magically no more crashing.
I only used rest mode on day one..but stopped. Again, the latest firmware could of fixed some of it, but i have not had time to play games lately. I did get 2 hours into Demon's Souls last night without a crash...which usually it would crash easily within an hour or so.

Batiman

Banned
Ya my brother just told me his ps5 keeps crashing and is thinking about returning it. That’s most likely just a software issue right? Crashing is mostly not HW related?

TYRiAX

While i wait for my charging cradle to arrive I've been using the supplied cable to charge from the front USB-A port without issue

Sleepwalker

Had my first crash and it was a good one. Spider-man crashed in the middle of a mission. Complete system shut down and wouldn't power back via controller.

I had that too earlier with Spiderman, I had a crash where the app encountered an issue and it closed and booted me to the OS menu.

Couple hours later I was in a mission and it straight up just froze during combat, wouldn't respond to any commands or the PS button, had to hold down the power button to turn it off. It did turn on via controller after and no issues after. No rebuilding database either.

aries_71

Had my first crash and it was a good one. Spider-man crashed in the middle of a mission. Complete system shut down and wouldn't power back via controller.
What would cause this? A memory error caused by the game should crash it, bit not halt the entire OS. And why would it turn off the hardware? A safety measure?

mitchman

Gold Member

Did you try with the same cable everywhere? Some USB cables does not have the power line connected and won't function as a charging cable.

Will just say that mine has coil whine (I imagine all do to some extent) but I can't hear it in Astros unless my ear is right up against the machine and everything is muted so basically a non-issue as something would have to be going very wrong for me to find myself in that situation.

The fan is as good as silent so far and makes less noise than my XSX fan which itself is barely audible.

Definitely a lottery in terms of noise as per usual.

Onironauta

Are you serious dude? Yeah, let's stop discussing anything and everything just because a pandemic is going on. I bet you were one of the people who bought 5000 rolls of toilet paper.
No lol, i'm definitely not one of those paranoids
And OP is not actually discussing anything
How dare people get upset that they've spent over £/$500 of their hard earned cash on a new console to only be riddled with problems! How dare the consumers! How very dare they the bunch of Karens & Kyles!!
Consoles are covered by warranty
If OP can't afford spending that amount of money, he probably shouldn't buy a new console

dcx4610

What would cause this? A memory error caused by the game should crash it, bit not halt the entire OS. And why would it turn off the hardware? A safety measure?

Hard to say. I lost signal to my TV and looked down at the console and it had a blue light and then completely off. Sounds like an unrecoverable OS crash so it just shut down the console. It could have overheated but I think they actually have a screen for that warning you that your system is too hot and to power it down.

These games are complicated with physics and ray tracing so I expect more crashes but it looks like Sony has some OS bugs to work out. I should note that this happened during a pending firmware patch.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I've put a lot of time into my PS5.. installed 3 games (2 PS5, 1 PS4).. played it for a couple dozen hours.

Other than games not actually returning from rest mode properly all the time (they restart, no error or anything, but the game isn't paused like I left it) I haven't had any issues.

No external connected.

Ar¢tos

I decided to try Rest mode and luckily it works fine.
So far the only issue I have is with installing /updating disc games. Hopefully the next firmware update will fix it, until then I can manage with workarounds.

I was freaking out too before getting mine but everything is working fine so far. I had two issues, which are certainly software related so I'm not worried, they have to patch it up soon.

Ok just had an issue. so i installed demons souls and spider man miles morales. played demons souls for a while and quit the game. suddenly both games are deleted and now i have to re install the disk wtf

This is one of the issues I encountered.
Try this, it solved the problem for me: after inserting the disk, the game icon will pop up and there will be an option to 'copy' the game to ssd. Don't click 'copy', the console will start to install the game/update automatically after a couple of seconds. Before doing this, I installed the game twice and it kept unnistaling after I removed the disk, but it worked after I tried it.

The other issue I had was a crash to UI in Demon's Souls... but I think this was game related. Only happened once and in this game only.

Last edited:

despire

Uh, yes you can?

Sadly my PS5 is having medium coil whine issues. Its not really bad but noticeable. Curious if this will be a valid reason to exchange it. Might try to contact Amazon about it. Wouldn't want to do it right now obviously due to the lack of stock. Don't wanna have to wait for a new one for several weeks.

Apart from that all is fine. Platined Astrobot on Day 1. This game is fucking great for long time Playstation fans.

Now playing Demon Souls. So far I've beaten several bosses without dying to them. So i'm kinda proud of myself. 🤣

Reactions: Isa
The other issue I had was a crash to UI in Demon's Souls... but I think this was game related. Only happened once and in this game only.
The Demon's Souls crash seems very common, I have personally crashed to UI like 8 or so times so far. The good news is with the load times, and the fact that it always pops me back in the same time I crashed, it's pretty irrelevant. Would still be nice if they found and patched it though.

The Demon's Souls crash seems very common, I have personally crashed to UI like 8 or so times so far. The good news is with the load times, and the fact that it always pops me back in the same time I crashed, it's pretty irrelevant. Would still be nice if they found and patched it though.

Interesting, are you using Magic/Bow/Crossbow?

Im fighting with onehanded meele Weapons so far and didn't have a single crash yet. Gotta say though I'm not far into the game and haven't done any Multiplayer stuff yet.

Last edited:

Did you notice anything in common about those crashes, or do they seem random to you?
I only had one while using photo mode in the Nexus.

Raging Bull

Neo Member
I was downloading ps4 games from psn to my external hard drive while playing demons souls (disc version). Whole console went to black screen in the middle of a boss battle. Had to shut down using the power button.

Powered back on using the power button (controller wouldn't turn the system on), ps5 rebuilt its internal ssd, then repaired its external hard drive, black screen. Waited 5 minutes, nothing. Read on reddit to hold the power button until second beep, system safely shuts down, unplug external, power back on using power button.

This worked, downloaded my demons souls save data from the cloud just to be safe. No issues after playing for a couple more hours.

Needless to say, I won't be using an external hard drive until sony fixes this shit. Its a major feature of the console and since we have dick for ssd space it needs to be addressed.

Top Bottom