• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

The only issue I noticed so far (that is obvious) is the controller charging.
I hook it up directly to the PS5, it lights up but when I start the console it shows less than 100% after hours of charging.
I'm guessing it is reading the battery level wrong since I have not ran out of juice in all the hours I have played it.

I get this error too. I also get the download queue bug with Sackboy PS4/PS5 edition. Also, I still hear buzzing while playing Borderlands 3 PS5 edition after the patch. That one in particular I wish Sony would comment on so I can stop worrying whether or not it's a hardware issue.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I need to try this disc issue on the XSX. I got most of my games digital so not a huge deal but i didn't pay $500 for faulty merch.

dano1

A Sheep
This is all software issues that will be fixed with patches. Happens every launch just like new game have issues. Everyone resume your life.

Gravemind

God fucking dammit :messenger_downcast_sweat: I think my ps5 may be defective.

I haven't had a single crash or any issue at all like that, but rather the console itself is not quiet like the reviewers claim.

I've seen people claim it's coil whine or whatever.. but mine has varying degrees to it.

Check it out. It's like when I pause the game on astro Playroom the coil whine changes pitches. Same if I un-pause it. In fact, whenever I move the camera around it even seems as if there's varying degrees of the whine.

Is this even coil whine? I saw people say it's normal but I'm afraid it's defective because the pitch of the whine will change based on what I'm doing.. :(

It's like I'll close the game and the level of it will change. This happens in Spider-man as well. In fuck I think notice now that Spiderman makes my fans go a lot more now. With my headphones on I of course don't hear it.. but come on this can't be normal. I can't imagine how my roommate will handle this if he can hear. This will be fucking humiliation

What do I do?

Why would fan noise be humiliating?

DinoD

This thread seem to have become the last refuge for Xbox Trolls to voice their concerns over the console they dont't have and/or have not intent to purchase. I have never ever seen such display of pathetic desperation.
I played 6 different games on my PS5. Keep it in sleep mode all the time, connected external HD for PS4 games and haven't had a single glitch yet.
Some of you should freaking grow some balls. Pussies.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can’t begin to tell you how happy I was to know there was a system performance update. I decided to install it and what did I get? SU-101265-2

I honestly felt like it had initially downloaded too fast because once I Re-downloaded the update, it installed without any issues.

If it fails, just restart the update.

E5-AFCE07-6847-4-CB5-95-D2-849-FB617-F654.jpg

Last edited:

DinoD

I can’t begin to tell you how happy I was to know there was a system performance update. I decided to install it and what did I get? SU-101265-2

I honestly felt like it had initially downloaded too fast because once I Re-downloaded the update, it installed without any issues.

If it fails, just restart the update.

E5-AFCE07-6847-4-CB5-95-D2-849-FB617-F654.jpg

How did you manage to change your screen background colour to blue? Default background colour is purple-gray, and as far as I can see cannot be changed?

Regards

Stooky

Still a small number of problems compared to the amount possibly sold. Happens with every launch with any product.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How did you manage to change your screen background colour to blue? Default background colour is purple-gray, and as far as I can see cannot be changed?

Regards
It was blue for the error. That might be it. I didn’t adjust a setting. The errors have been CE (my guess is critical error) and this one is SU (system update)? That’s my best guess.

I can report zero crashes today. I really hope this update did what it was suppose to do.

if you think about those firmware updates for PS4. They remind me the PS3 and the way that firmware update looked. It goes to blue and then to black. Maybe this one will go from Grey to blue and to black?

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I had one freeze in Spider-Man Remastered 2 days ago (soft freeze, rebooted game and continued). I've played over a dozen hours of AC Valhalla, Demon's Souls, BC PS4 games on USB HDD and platinumed Astro Bot and not one other issue.

Of all the things to worry about - it’s the failure rate of a launch console?

Why is this a thread? Literally every first-gen anything has a higher inherent risk due to lack of exposure and analysis.

Find a single console or any other piece of equipment that doesn’t have initial batch issues. Buy it or don’t 🤷‍♂️

TLZ

Banned
3 people. Crazy high failure rate. Lol cmon.

I'll make it easy for you:

3 / 1,000,000 = 0.0003%
30 / 1,000,000 = 0.003%
300 / 1,000,000 = 0.03%
3,000 / 1,000,000 = 0.3%
30,000 / 1,000,000 = 3%

So even if you read 30,000 complaints on twitter, not just 3, 300 or 3000, that's still just 3%.

This all means nothing at this point.

THEAP99

Banned
Why does it sound like the plastic on my ps5 is moving sometimes

Anyways I'm over the coil sound. I was making a big deal out of it last night but it's whatever. The people in party chat can't hear or notice it and I only notice it unless my headset is off and my room is quiet and I'm actively trying to hear it. I hope it improves overtime.. the frequency change is most annoying.

Still no other issues than that (if it's even an issue). I think today while playing demon's souls the Ui was lagging a little bit

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

The 360 was worse from what I remember.

You remember correctly. Shitty cooling and shitty solder (and I think the clamp on the CPU flexed the motherboard as the hardware heated up and cooled downed), with all first revision hardware being prone to fail because it it. They made a shitty band-aid fix with the 2nd revision by adding a heatpipe connected to the dinky cooler on the GPU which led to another dinky heatsink. It wasn't until the CPU and GPU went 65nm that all issues were stamped out. Most PS5 issues seem to be due to buggy firmware/OS which can be easily fixed.

THEAP99

Banned
Ok wtf ? I had my controller plugged in charging earlier today and it was at 2 bars when I started playing 2 hours ago and now I just a battery low message.

Is something up with the cable they gave us? Would I be better off charging with my phone cable ?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Ok wtf ? I had my controller plugged in charging earlier today and it was at 2 bars when I started playing 2 hours ago and now I just a battery low message.

Is something up with the cable they gave us? Would I be better off charging with my phone cable ?

There’s a bug where it won’t charge in sleep mode. Get a charging dock.

THEAP99

Banned
There’s a bug where it won’t charge in sleep mode. Get a charging dock.
I wasn't even using sleep mode when charging it. Just had my console on

When I use my phone pixel 4a cable, usb c to usb c it charges much much faster

Last edited:

kevm3

When you buy a launch console, you are essentially making an agreement that you are paying a high price to be a beta tester

timmyp53

There's nothing special about the one included in the box if anything it's probably cheap.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah. It charges a lot slower. But will using my usb c ruin the dualsense battery?
I would be sure to not use a wall adapter to charge it due to voltage differences. The cord itself shouldn’t matter. It’s just a cord. The big thing is making sure it doesn’t get overcharged or possibly undercharged. I’m still waiting for my dock. That’s what I know from working in IT.

Reading some things online. Sounds like fast chargers are a big no-no. It’ll eat up that controller.

Q4V7G62.jpg

I wonder if people are letting their controllers get to the very low charge and then charging it for a couple hours. Always charging something can also kill the battery, but lots of people know that already.

Last edited:

timmyp53

Yeah. It charges a lot slower. But will using my usb c ruin the dualsense battery?
Just stick any usb c to c cable to the ps5s front facing usb c port. If it's the cord you will be able to troubleshoot it that way.

Last edited:
Haven’t had any crashes at all, Spider-Man Remastered or Demons Souls. Usb ssd attached to the back from day one, full of games populated on the PS4 beforehand. I always close my games manually.

Only thing weird, just happened a bit ago, when I turned on my PS5 it just showed a black screen (even though the tv said HDR enabled). I unplugged the hdmi from the tv side/plugged it back in, screen came right back.

THEAP99

Banned
I would be sure to not use a wall adapter to charge it due to voltage differences. The cord itself shouldn’t matter. It’s just a cord. The big thing is making sure it doesn’t get overcharged or possibly undercharged. I’m still waiting for my dock. That’s what I know from working in IT.

Reading some things online. Sounds like fast chargers are a big no-no. It’ll eat up that controller.

Q4V7G62.jpg

I wonder if people are letting their controllers get to the very low charge and then charging it for a couple hours. Always charging something can also kill the battery, but lots of people know that already.
Yeah I'm just talking about using my pixel 4a usb c to usb cable plugging in from ps5 to the controller. I did that one time and it charged a lot faster than the stock usb cable. I think the stock usb cable is bugged or something or something is going on with what the ps5 says is battery life in the dualsense.

Ar¢tos

Q4V7G62.jpg

The official charging station is 5.1v x 2.8A (14.3W), I assume anything under those numbers will be safe to use with the Dualsense (but charge slower).

FALCON_KICK

Either wait for system updates over next few weeks or try to call tech customer support and get the product exchanged. Launch woes but also showcases Sony lagging behind in software OS department.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm picking up my ps5 today!
When I picked up my ps4 I was excited, after a few weeks the console developed a "personality"... I'm far from perfect, so together we learned how to co-exist in the same house and we've been happy, even with each other flaws.
PS5 seems to be more completely bipolar than just a little crazy, so I'm kinda concerned with what I will get in the "ps5 lottery".

Top Bottom