• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

How are current PS5 Gaf users dealing with this news?

the_master

After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

New consoles will have bugs. Especially now that the consoles can do so many many things from the get go.
They can be patched so that will be solving most of the issues.

Birdo

Banned
Wait for the third batch. It's usually when the issues have been ironed out (Early next year).

The first batch of both Series X and PS5 were put together at the height of the pandemic, when there were lots of supply issues of components. I assume these have been put together with the cheapest shit they could find.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Because what's the point of a warranty if no patch has been released? You could risk just getting a second broken console. Which is what happened with the red ring of death.
The end result is the same. It’s Sony that has to make good.
If their manufacturing process is at fault their profits take a huge hit.
They have to provide a working system.

Fbh

Keep in mind this sort of things happen with almost every big console release. There were also plenty of reports about DOA Ps4's at launch, I think people were even talking about the "white light of death" or something like that.

I was working gaming retail back then and my location definitely had several customers return with DOA consoles. But overall it was still considered a good release, it didn't have widespread issues and I know plenty of people that are still using their launch consoles.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with waiting some months to be sure there isn't some large generalized issue. Then again you have a warranty if anything does wrong.

Last edited:

I figured launch hardware always has issues so I sold my pre-ordered unit and I’ll pick one up after they can get all of the bugs figured out.

Fragnar

Neo Member
I think we're seeing the effects of a worldwide pandemic with software engineers working from home.
I guess things aren't running very well for game devs or the console manufacturers.

I'm sure there will be some patches coming for most of these quirks in the coming weeks.

THEAP99

Banned

Bro, it's been rough being a ps5 owner this past day or so. I've encountered 0 issues but it's because I'm trying so hard to avoid my console breaking to the point where I'm missing out on features. When you get yours, I suggest u follow these guidelines as I've had a flawless experience so far:

- first I'd recommend letting the console air out and get used to air temperature in the room after being in packaging for a bit and through cold climates

- do not connect external storage

-do not transfer data from ps4
-just upload ur ps4 game saves to cloud storage so u can play those on ps5 and load them up with the saves from ur ps4

-do not use rest mode at all. Disable it completely when u get ur ps5

-don't play games while installing games/updates

-don't do dumb stuff like unplugging the console while it's turned on

-do not use ethernet

- do not play Spider-man remastered

-say a few prayers to God

Good luck. May God guide you to a working system my friend. So far so good for me

Last edited:
Bro, it's been rough being a ps5 owner this past day or so. I've encountered 0 issues but it's because I'm trying so hard to avoid my console breaking to the point where I'm missing out on features. When you get yours, I suggest u follow these guidelines as I've had a flawless experience so far:

- first I'd recommend letting the console air out and get used to air temperature in the room after being in packaging for a bit and through cold climates

-just upload ur ps4 game saves to cloud storage so u can play those on ps5 and load them up with the saves from ur ps4

-do not use ethernet

Good luck. May God guide you to a working system my friend. So far so good for me

Amen. Thanks. I'll do that! So Spiderman MM is fine but not Spiderman remastered?

Ataraxia

-The rest mode issue appears tied to Miles Morales. I've been using rest mode every day without issue (I don't have that game).

-I haven't heard about the controller failing to charge, but I notice mine only charges after long use. It won't charge if used less than an hour. If this is intentional I'm fine with it.

-I've heard of issues with using an external drive which is why I'm avoiding one for now. But I'm certainly not freaking out. I love my PS5.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I remember the same concern during the PS4 launch. In reality there are always a small number of hardware failures, and the odd firmware bug. But there was never any fundamental issue with the hardware.

Also these things have warranties, so I'm not worried.

Inviusx

I've had a PS5 for 4 days now. Played atleast 25 hours since then, one day was 6 hours straight.

Aside from Demons Souls crashing twice I've had literally zero issues.

ZehDon

This happens every console generation, and it’s pretty standard for a new electronics device. A failure rate of just 1% would still be 10,000 consoles if Sony sold a million so far. On the Internet, 10,000 people can sound like one hundred times that number. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

- Rest most is for sure NOT just MIles as I am now on my second PS5 with those issues and no miles and not Spiderman Remastered

What features have you been disabling or not using dude? Also have you heard anything in the grapevine about a patch being released? So far Sony has said absolutely nothing which I'm finding quite strange.

PS: Love your content. Your reviews have really helped my purchase decisions so thank you!

LOLCats

Banned
mines been running great, except the weird disc drive issue.

i dont use rest mode though... sleep or rest modes have never been healthy for computers imo.

MrS

Banned
Don't touch Spiderman Remastered yet
Don't use external HDD
Install system upgrade via wifi and don't put in Ethernet cable til after the system and controller have installed updates.

Should be ok if you follow these steps

Cancel your pre-order and leave it to someone.......

9KhfQSZ.gif

I am using it just like I normally would, and have had no issues other than a quick restart of Demon's Souls got messed up, I had to close it to reopen the game.

I won't pretend there aren't some failures, because there always are. But stuff like people blaming it on Rest Mode is pure conjecture and helps nobody. People will be doing something when a console bricks. Whatever that something is, they will assume that's the thing that's at fault. 99% of the time, it's not. It's just a coincidence.

That PS5 reddit thread is pretty-much ridiculous. 99.9% of it is some combination of "I'm scared" "Here's what we've heard people were doing when something went wrong" "My console almost bricked!" and the like. There's like 10 total posts in the whole thread of people with an actual bricked console.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My guess is it's a very vocal small percentage of people. I mean if I got a bum system and couldn't get it replaced because there are no others available I'd be going nuts on Reddit as well.

Justin9mm

Are you serious with this thread, its ok to discuss issues but you realize that everything seems heightened on GAF and the internet. We are talking maybe a couple 1000 or so defective units compared to the circa 11 million released or whatever it is.

To make threads about freaking out and talking about waiting is silly nonsense, you are spreading hysteria to people who may cancel their pre order or get worried for what is probably no reason!

I have many friends including me who has no problem with the console, I'm sorry to the people having problems but this is expected and nothing out of the ordinary for launch console.

You need to get your life checked OP.

Last edited:

Elog

You are overreacting. Good consumer electronics numbers for a category such as consoles is a failure rate of around 3%. The poor people that get those copies of the consoles are naturally unhappy and vent their frustration online.

When millions of consoles - PS5 and XSX/X - are bought over just a few days you have a lot of unhappy customers within a short time window.

There is nothing that indicates that the current numbers are higher than the expected. Just enjoy the ride :)

DinoD

-do not use ethernet

Mate. I literally did most of the things you are advising against. Except I didn't pray to God over a gaming console, and unplugging the console while installing (that would be dumb, wouldnt it). My PS5 still works like Swiss clock-work.

The amount of paranoia generated over the couple of bricked/non working consoles (millions shipped) is astonishing. This brave new world of social media /internet forums, and all the dilettantes spreading the words of advice and wisdom, scares me more than bricking my console.
It's under the warranty, so it will get fixed.

Regards

Last edited:
Are you serious with this thread, its ok to discuss issues but you realize that everything seems heightened on GAF and the internet. We are talking maybe a couple 1000 or so defective units compared to the circa 11 million released or whatever it is.

To make threads about freaking out and talking about waiting is silly nonsense, you are spreading hysteria to people who may cancel their pre order or get worried for what is probably no reason!

I have many friends including me who has no problem with the console, I'm sorry to the people having problems but this is expected and nothing out of the ordinary for launch console.

You need to get your life checked OP.

My intention isn't to get anyone to cancel anything, but if means people end up being more careful and they save their system from breaking then it's worth it.

Top Bottom