• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption PS5 patch lured back at least 16% of lost players

Draugoth

Gold Member
rdr-ps4.jpg

Things did not get better for Rockstar Games' classic title from there, as Red Dead Redemption dropped 25.2% of its active PS5 and PS4 player count by the next week, and a further 22.4% of its players the following week. The week after, the game fell out of the top 200 most-played PS5 and PS4 games entirely, meaning Red Dead Redemption's active player had dropped at least 54.04% just three weeks after launch.

However, as of this week [ending Monday, October 9, 2023], it seems Red Dead Redemption's active player count across PS5 and PS4 is back on the rise, with the game regaining at least 16.12% of its launch player count. The game has also returned to the top 200 PlayStation Chart, and has even bounced back with 6.5% more players than it had at the end of its third week on sale.

The rise in players correlates with the release of the recent PS5 patch for the game on Wednesday, October 4, 2023. Despite only seeing a release natively on PS4, Rockstar issued a patch for the title that would give players the option to toggle on a 60fps mode when playing the game on PS5.

The new patch helped address one of the biggest criticisms of the game — that despite being ported to the modern consoles, Red Dead Redemption was still locked to 30fps, even on the powerful PS5. News that the game was now in some way enhanced for Sony's latest console must have struck a chord with PS5 players, helping Rockstar's title to recover some of the interest it had lost in weeks prior.

Kuranghi

Count me within that 16%, I accepted the 30fps and was enjoying it despite that because the IQ was so clean, even though the 30fps was tough without proper MB (Even though my TV's panel makes 24-30fps content look as good as it can on sample & hold based tech without proper BFI, which doesn't exist yet) but this is obviously way way better.

You filthy man, that is someones daughter and you are DISGUSTING!
pm me

Last edited:

Kerotan

Only 16%? That doesn't seem all that impressive.

I will tell you what this 60 fps patch DID accomplish.

It has put RDR on my radar to buy once it gets to a low enough price. I hate 30 fps that much.
Same. Either free on ps plus or a cheap sale. 30fps was a non starter.

Pelao

Rockstar's questionable decisions like releasing this game without a 60fps mode, the dire state in which GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition was released, the abandonment of RDR2, coupled with Dan Houser and Leslie Benzies being out of the company for years, more than ensures that there's not a chance in hell I'll buy GTA 6 at launch. That shit is going to be a disaster.

dotnotbot

Rockstar's questionable decisions like releasing this game without a 60fps mode, the dire state in which GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition was released, the abandonment of RDR2, coupled with Dan Houser and Leslie Benzies being out of the company for years, more than ensures that there's not a chance in hell I'll buy GTA 6 at launch. That shit is going to be a disaster.

Remember that an awful San Andreas port for PS3/X360 released in 2015. Not to mention disastrous PC port of GTA IV. PC ports of their older games, especially San Andreas were also lacking, missing some textures and other things and have to be fixed by mods. I don't think Dan and Leslie being there or not would have made any difference for these recent releases, they are simple quick cash grabs made by third-parties.

Now I'm not saying lack of these 2 gentlemen won't be important for VI, just saying quality of their ports and main big games (for consoles) were always a different story.

Last edited:

Duchess

I'm planning on getting a physical copy sometime down the road. Maybe there will be a few more patches to come.

(also, why the hell are people in this thread such horndogs right now???)

Top Bottom