• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Reveal Coming In April?

yurinka

April? It was revealed February 5th, folks.

Now seriously, I think this reveal will focus on the console concept, how it is going to handle RT, SSD super fast speed, backwards compatibility (with some videos showing comparisions to highlight improvements, maybe with TLOU2 and Death Stranding), improved PS Now (every PS5 game you buy gets added to PSNow, increased resolution, improved coded, more platorms added) and Remote Play, form factor and new features in DS5 like haptic feedback and maybe some button, some game announcement trailers and tech demos (Spiderman 2, Horizon 2, new IP from Japan Studio and Bluepoint's new project, next gen stuff from Ubisoft, Capcom and Square), high level tech specs with some details like bluetooth, bluray or wifi versions and some words from devs praising the console.

I wouldn't expect to see there its release price, release day, exact amount of memory, teraflops, CPU or GPU clock speed. I think for these things they will wait until MS announces them (Sony may want to have the same or better), probably at E3. Then Sony may reveal these details a few weeks later, maybe at Gamescom or in a PS5 special State of Play.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
Ok. HOW the fuck? How did you know? Seriously?!
Do you know more stuff or was it just guessing?
I got warned for saying how I knew once, so I won't again. Because it's not verified here. I just know a lot of studio's because of my job and I am basing the info on their deadlines nothing more. So nothing verified, just me sharing what I think

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't get this stress. You have 9 months till November, the release date doesn't change if it's announced in Feb or April. There is no limit date to pre-order it.
Just enjoy the games being released this year and stop stressing about the announcement.

After the release you will all be bitching because not enough games are released in the first month, after that you will surely find something else to complain about.

The more people have the less happy they are.

The last 4 games I played were ps3 games and now I'm playing Gris. As long as there are good games to play, there is no need to rush a new gen.
Better hardware doesn't necessarily means better games...

I'm getting the PS5 at launch because I can and because I will have to wait 3-4 months to get one if I don't pre-order (using ps4 release as a reference. It was sold out constantly), but it won't be surprising if after tinkering with it for 2 or 3 days I go back to play something on my ps3 until some interesting ps5 game is out.

It's kinda sad seeing people "enslaved" to resolutions, Framerates, tflops or raytracing, your enjoyment of games is greatly diminished by that.

I have slowly distanced myself from GAF because of the overall negativity and hate surrounding every single thread about literally anything.
Maybe I'm just too old to care about all those things.

TLZ

Banned
Maybe I'm just too old to care about all those things.

giphy.gif

magnumpy

call me a pessimist, but I think the reveal will be much later. I'm thinking ~September time frame. actual launch won't happen until even later than that anyway :(

bigol

call me a pessimist, but I think the reveal will be much later. I'm thinking ~September time frame. actual launch won't happen until even later than that anyway :(

Since i'm 100% certain Microsoft will unveil most of the new console and games at E3 conference, i don't think Sony will want to wait so much before unveiling Ps5. Despite what people think (Next gen happens when Sony decides, they don't have to react) if Sony is not stupid they would know Microsoft is still a strong competitor.

I believe we will have Ps5 infos around April or May. At worst it will be June.

Last edited:

magnumpy

Since i'm 100% certain Microsoft will unveil most of the new console and games at E3 conference, i don't think Sony will want to wait so much before unveiling Ps5. Despite what people think (Next gen happens when Sony decides, they don't have to react) if Sony is not stupid they would know Microsoft is still a strong competitor.

I believe we will have Ps5 infos around April or May. At worst it will be June.

where have you been. sony hasn't done e3 for years.

the show is a sad relic of the past.

Last edited:

wintersouls

I don't understand how a company so dominant in the space can also be so scared.

You're fuckin Sony. Act like it.

I don't think it's about fear. It's about being patient and preparing things well. It is a business of many millions, so everything they do will be more than studied. Haste is not good in business.

bigol

where have you been. sony hasn't done e3 for years.

the show is a sad relic of the past.

I know Sony has not had an E3 conference the last few years but they can still release Ps5 infos around June their own way with a State of Play special, an unveiling event like they did in February 2013 or just another Wired article.

magnumpy

I know Sony has not had an E3 conference the last few years but they can still release Ps5 infos around June their own way with a State of Play special, an unveiling event like they did in February 2013 or just another Wired article.

I don't know the future but e3 as a show seems to be pretty dead. state of play seems possible, at least for an announcement.

Am I the only one who is more than happy with the PS4's amazing slew of releases this year and don't care if the PS5 is pushed into 2021?

My PS4 is still serving me strong and I'm looking forward to a ton of new games.

I feel Sony might be partially delaying the announcement because they want the PS4 hype train to keep going, given how incredibly strong the console is still performing.

MHubert

Yeah, that would make sense, except for the whole thing where they planned for 2019 originally, so they did not want to take their time. They wanted to get ahead of Microsoft who had just released One X in 2017 and were for sure not launching a console until 2020. Or the thing where they create one APU that is ready end of 2018 and then another one that is ready mid 2019 and builds upon that first APU. Sony didn't want to take their time and for good reason, because they wanted to avoid the drop in sales that we are seeing now. They have talked about the fastest shift to next gen for a reason.
That has never been confirmed, and is likely a narrative created by the people that betted their good name on PS5 launching in 2019.

NickFire

I look forward to the day we stop speculating about "when will someone tell us something we really (really) want to know?" Unfortunately, I am starting to suspect it could be later than April, although by then we may get at least specs basically confirmed from leaks in the manufacturing pipeline.

yurinka

My theory is that they originally planned to reveal the console a couple of weeks after the release of TLOU2 and Dreams, at the end of February. But TLOU2 and other important PS4 games planned to be released on February got delayed, so they decided to delay the announcement too, getting some extra time to react in case MS announced something like console price, amount of memory, teraflops, CPU/GPU frequency and so on. They also found now the coronavirus stuff, so decided to wait some time more.

So I think now it's more likely to see this reveal (without mentioning price, frequencies or amount of ram) the pre-E3 week, that is the week between TLOU2 release and E3 to make sure that TLOU2 and PS5 set a new quality bar and will be in people's mind when looking at the E3 stuff.

Yeah, that would make sense, except for the whole thing where they planned for 2019 originally,
Fake news, they never said to have anything planned for 2019.

Last edited:

Banned

well maybe they planned a 2019 release in the very early days. you have to remember that these systems are in development almost immediately after the PS4 and Xbox One were put on the market. Console development is a continuous cycle with development times of at least 4 to 6 years

Do you know how many followers Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) or Will Smith have? Respectively 7 times more and 2 times more than the PlayStation account. They get WAY more likes than PlayStation but both their last blockbusters were commercial flops.
Which movies were those? I can only think of Bad Boys and Jumanji, both of which are profitable.

My theory is that they originally planned to reveal the console a couple of weeks after the release of TLOU2 and Dreams, at the end of February. But TLOU2 and other important PS4 games planned to be released on February got delayed, so they decided to delay the announcement too, getting some extra time to react in case MS announced something like console price, amount of memory, teraflops, CPU/GPU frequency and so on. They also found now the coronavirus stuff, so decided to wait some time more.

So I think now it's more likely to see this reveal (without mentioning price, frequencies or amount of ram) the pre-E3 week, that is the week between TLOU2 release and E3 to make sure that TLOU2 and PS5 set a new quality bar and will be in people's mind when looking at the E3 stuff.

With you on TLOU2 delay affecting the PS5 reveal. Sony likely wants that game to be a big send off for the PS4's first party, with Ghost of Tsushima being something of an encore. Trouble is, I don't think they can wait until after the end of May, that's starting to get a little too close to the release date of the console itself imo.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think it's about fear. It's about being patient and preparing things well. It is a business of many millions, so everything they do will be more than studied. Haste is not good in business.
So strategy then. Waiting to see how much they can get away with by letting Microsoft pave the way in pricing. I suppose that's typical fare. Question is, what if Microsoft is doing the same thing? Somebody has to be bold at some point.

yurinka

With you on TLOU2 delay affecting the PS5 reveal. Sony likely wants that game to be a big send off for the PS4's first party, with Ghost of Tsushima being something of an encore. Trouble is, I don't think they can wait until after the end of May, that's starting to get a little too close to the release date of the console itself imo.
Yes, I think it also would be positive for them to avoid noise from other big news or pre-E3 announcements to make sure they get all the attention during some days, and may want to have it revealed before GDC to be able to talk with devs about it there. So maybe somewhere before GDC would be a good spot. But well, who knows.

cragarmi

I'd say March is far more likely, towards the end of, or after their PS4 celebration which runs till mid march, just before GDC. There may even be a slow drip feed of info via social media the weeks before.

I'm very interested in seeing the reveal, how they go about doing it, all the software and hardware details, their overall strategy, the PR they go with... but no way I'm ever going to buy the console.

skneogaf

I believe the reveal will be on one of the months leading up to release date.

I strongly believe it will be between now and the actual release date.

But please don't quote me on this.

Tiamat2san

I believe the reveal will be on one of the months leading up to release date.

I strongly believe it will be between now and the actual release date.

But please don't quote me on this.
Sorry, I quoted you.
You are saying stuff that needs to be addressed.
Who is your source?
How could you know if you are not an insider?
Is the console above 1 TF?
Does it play games?
Do we need batteries ?
So many questions in my head...

Top Bottom