• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 beta rolls out today with new accessibility and audio options, social features, and UI enhancements

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Never turning off the beep. It's like an old friend.
That cringy old friend.

matthew-mcconaughey.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow demons souls sounds incredible (Sonos Arc 5.1 set up)

Found a bug/issue if using atmos and at least on Sonos systems games will think it’s a TV output which obviously effects the mix rather than an AV receiver.

So in system settings you set output to AV and Atmos but in two games I’ve tried Ratchet and Demons souls it’s saying it’s TV as output.

Hmm, 5.1 isn't Atmos though, so how is this any different than just regular 5.1 surround?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really hope the first party titles begin rolling our atmos support when this goes live.

If a game supports Tempest 3D audio (which all 1st party stuff does) it supports Atmos. That's basically what Atmos is, audio sources placed in 3D space (and mapped to as many speakers as you have) rather than 5 or whatever specific channels.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sonos bars have Dolby Atmos support and upward firing speakers on arc then you add a sub and surrounds but essentially it can throw sound incredibly well.
Ah ok, but then it isn't 5.1. Or are you saying it's just front speakers, center and upfiring? I think that would be called 3.1.2. Or if there's no sub 3.0.2.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Why did it take them so many years to turn off the beep?
If they were actually working on this in the background for so long then do you think they'll actually enable 8K output like it says on the box at some point? (yes, some games like The Touryst or even something like Tales of Symphonia could absolutely run at 8K)

Wow demons souls sounds incredible (Sonos Arc 5.1 set up)

Found a bug/issue if using atmos and at least on Sonos systems games will think it’s a TV output which obviously effects the mix rather than an AV receiver.

So in system settings you set output to AV and Atmos but in two games I’ve tried Ratchet and Demons souls it’s saying it’s TV as output.
Does your TV support eARC? I'm waiting to get my code and can test later with a different Atoms setup that supports all formats and eARC.

Also, how is latency? On XSX I had really bad latency using Atmos until I played around with a few settings to dial it in (I think it was passthrough?)

If a game supports Tempest 3D audio (which all 1st party stuff does) it supports Atmos. That's basically what Atmos is, audio sources placed in 3D space (and mapped to as many speakers as you have) rather than 5 or whatever specific channels.
I wonder if it's going to make first party games especially automatically sound a lot better. I'm curious to see how big of a difference it'll be.

For instance The Last of Us: Part II already has studio reference 7.1 surround sound and the localization and dynamic range are incredible. I wonder if it'll sound even better.

Robbinhood

Banned
I just bought Audeze Maxwell headphones but opted not to buy the Xbox version that comes with the Atmos license. Cause mostly I'll be using it on PC which has a cheaper license through Windows store...

Can I still use Atmos on these with PS5? Not a huge deal since I can use Tempest, and I doubt theres a big difference. I'd like to A/B them though.

Last edited:

willothedog

I just bought Audeze Maxwell headphones but opted not to buy the Xbox version that comes with the Atmos license. Cause mostly I'll be using it on PC which has a cheaper license through Windows store...

Can I still use Atmos on these with PS5? Not a huge deal since I can use Tempest, and I doubt theres a big difference. I'd like to A/B them though.

I don't think it is doing any local decoding of Atmos, you will still get Tempest through the headphones.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hmm, 5.1 isn't Atmos though, so how is this any different than just regular 5.1 surround?
To be fair I haven't hooked up Atmos speakers yet so mine is 5.1 currently and I could hear a difference, both in subwoofer and surround sound with little things I'm picking up that I didn't before
There is slight fuller sound to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I had on PCM 5.1 before.
Theatrically it should default to DD+ like all Dolby Atmos tracks do when it detects your speaker set-up but it is showing up as Dolby Atmos on my AV which is the first time I've seen it 🤔

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wonder if it's going to make first party games especially automatically sound a lot better. I'm curious to see how big of a difference it'll be.

For instance The Last of Us: Part II already has studio reference 7.1 surround sound and the localization and dynamic range are incredible. I wonder if it'll sound even better.

God of War: Ragnorock sounds AMAZING!!!! One of the best sounding games in history. The dynamic range and localized sound is nuts. And that was before this update. And I have an 11.2 (technically a 7.4.2) surround system.

Consumer

I haven't received a PSN marketing email in ~10 years despite trying every fix that's been suggested. I only really want them for these beta codes, so hopefully I can steal an NA code (if region even matters)

nick776

I'd be GREATLY appreciative if someone could DM a code to me, I'd even be willing to send a token of gratitude via PayPal!

Fake

Why would folders prevent that?

Ask Sony, not me. If I would guess, if you keep the select button into the folder you created, Playstation would not give you recommentation because there is a lot of variations when you fill your folder with games.

Is like the PS4. If you leave the select block inside the folder, the PS4 don't recommend anything, just when you keep your select into the game icon inself.

Last edited:

solidus12

So how does Dolby Atmos work? I selected it in the settings; it disable 3D audio.

Tried Ragnarok and Re4 remake. No mention of Dolby Atmos on my TV.

I have an LG Oled with Dolby Atmos.

thatJohann

Oh man definitely noticing the latency issue with Atmos. Same issue Xbox has. Ugh. And before you ask I’m using eARC and pass through. It’s all set up correctly. The latency isn’t huge but it’s noticeable. It’s unfortunate as the sound sounds very rich and meaty. Ugh.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I really dont under stand what the fuss is all about gents, please, bear with me :

- Dolby Atmos is cool I suppose but...for people that only have a TV that supports it (i.e : no AV receiver/sound bar) this is not a great deal, I mean, sound output is both louder and also the 3D effect is better when using Sony's 3D audio.
Also, for people like me that use BT headphones connected to the TV this update does absolutely nothing since DA gets greyed out on the TV and you lose Sony's 3D audio output (for games).

- Sony's air-conditioner "bleep" : I know it's fun mentioning our girlfriends and making jokes about it but...it's not this earth-shattering feature that "needs to be tested".

- Haptics while navigating the dashboard : it's cool for the first 5 minutes, had to
Turn it off after that, it's a battery drain hog, plus, it stops being novel after - again - 5 minutes.

- All the other stuff : not anything important.

I really, REALLY can't see what the fuss is all about and how Sony sees this as something "big" that needs to be tested/sent via invitation only/codes.

The PS4 UI/dash were great, the PS5 is -frankly- 2 steps back, instead of fixing important stuff like not being able to hear game chat via the TV speakers /AV speakers etc , being able to create folders (not gonna happen, I know) amongst other stuff we get...this.

Besides enabling Dolby Atmos for watching movies through the console (I just use my TVs inbuilt apps) this whole update feels like fluff, nothing of value whatsoever IMO boys and girls.

just my 2 cents obviously
Cheers

Top Bottom