• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin signs bill encouraging domestic violence into law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vladimir Putin has signed into law a controversial new measure that will see domestic abusers in Russia face fewer penalties, in a move that has sparked worldwide anger.

The presidential action, which reduces the assault of a relative to a civil offence instead of a criminal one, has alarmed campaigners who fear it will send a signal that abuse is not a serious crime.

Mr Putin’s United Russia party persistently backed a change in the law, which only applies to first offenders and when the victim suffers no serious harm.

Battering a spouse will now be punishable by a fine of less than $500, 15 days of 'administrative arrest', or community service.

Significant injuries, such as broken bones or concussion, or repeated offences, would have to result before any criminal charges can be brought.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-signs-controversial-law-russia-a7568151.html

The mental effects of domestic violence are horrible with some having horrific PTSD and depression for years after just a "few" "mild" beatings. This is barbaric and I feel horribly for all women in Russia.

The bill was approved by Russian legislators 386-1.

The world is full of horrible people.

Not

Banned
I hope the Hillary Doctrine is accurate; the worse a state treats its women, the less stable it becomes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I am actually speechless how this can be a remotely good idea. Fuck.

To them it is.

It's the re-establishment of conservative values, including strengthening the patriarchy by permitting domestic abuse.

Putin's whole goal is to export their brand of nationalism-state capitalism combined with Russian Orthodox social values to the world. It's working.

Ogodei

"Won't somebody please think of the wife-beaters and child-beaters?"

Seriously. Somebody out there made this argument. And then 386 people voted for it.

How the fuck did everyone in the Duma buy into this? Even the token opposition?

Syder

image.php

Such a transparent distraction technique.

Disrupt the very fabric of the everyday worker's household... while you commit murders, impugn opponents, silence the media, and invade other nations' lands and democratic processes.

Such a transparent distraction technique.

Disrupt the very fabric of the everyday worker's household... while you commit murders, impugn opponents, silence the media, and invade other nations' lands and democratic processes.

Invading the other nations is the distraction tactic, the church was pushing for decriminalizing domestic violence so this was Russia appeasing one of their most important political groups.

UberTag

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-signs-controversial-law-russia-a7568151.html

The mental effects of domestic violence are horrible with some having horrific PTSD and depression for years after just a "few" "mild" beatings. This is barbaric and I feel horribly for all women in Russia.

The bill was approved by Russian legislators 386-1.

My condolences go out to the family of the one legislator who opposed this bill as he will soon be hospitalized or dead.
My condolences go out to the families of the 386 legislators that approved this bill as they will soon be beaten without consequence by their "loved ones".

Nikodemos

To quote myself from the older thread on the subject...
So, basically what happened was that a bunch of Russki trogs hated the idea of being forbidden from IRL re-enacting Punch-Out!! with the rest of their family members.
Therefore, they created a crazily harsh anti-violence law, shoved it down the public's throat then used the (directed) mediatisation of its excesses as a means to devalue the very idea of anti-domestic violence legislation, ensuring not only that the current law will be struck down without replacement, but also sabotaging future attempts by continuously waving around the first one's failure as justification.

Good ol' Soviet playbook....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I hope the Hillary Doctrine is accurate; the worse a state treats its women, the less stable it becomes.

Saudi Arabia seemingly doing fine.

edit: beaten lol

sazzy

The bill does encourage domestic violence compared to the laws previously in place, it is not hyperbole at all.

No, it does not.

It has decriminalised and reduced punishment for what they call 'light domestic abuse'.

It doesn't say 'go and beat your wife'.

This type of thread title I'd expect to see on Infowars or WND.

No, it does not.

It has decriminalised and reduced punishment for what they call 'light domestic abuse'.

For example, spanking. Regardless of your views on spanking, it does not belong in the same category as broken bones and concussions.

All this seems to do is make the punishment lighter when the crime is lighter.

And to top it all off, doesn't this say that the change only applies to first time offenders? So repeat offenders would still be subject to the same punishment as before?

notaskwid

For example, spanking. Regardless of your views on spanking, it does not belong in the same category as broken bones and concussions.

All this seems to do is make the punishment lighter when the crime is lighter.

And to top it all off, doesn't this say that the change only applies to first time offenders? So repeat offenders would still be subject to the same punishment as before?

"Regardless of your views on spanking"
WTF am I reading.

No, it does not.

It doesn't say 'go and beat your wife'.

This type of thread title I'd expect to see on Infowars or WND.

There is a defense force for Putin?
He doesn't deserve an inch in headlines IMO.

Infowars makes stuff up out of hallucinations, this headline doesn't pull punches, that's all.

Someone getting a slap on the wrist because they belted their terrified wife is clearly going to embolden their friends as they witness the consequences, versus the situation before bill was passed.

There is a defense force for Putin?
He doesn't deserve an inch in headlines IMO.

Infowars makes stuff up out of hallucinations, this headline doesn't pull punches, that's all.

Someone getting a slap on the wrist because they belted their terrified wife is clearly going to embolden their friends as they witness the consequences, versus the situation before bill was passed.

The thread title says it encourages domestic abuse. That is textbook hyperbole. You can call a spade a spade without being a "Putin defense force"

Justify spanking then.

Hard to do when I'm opposed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom