• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qatar: If you're gay, you should avoid the 2022 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, normally I don't post things like this. But soccer is my favourite sport to watch and ... to tell people that they don't have the right to watch the sport live, in the arena, is just despicable (even though it's not explicitly said, that's what's heavily implied; nevertheless, it's telling people to not be who they are if they want the right to watch the game live). Between this, and the no alcohol rule, and the clothing guidelines (women should cover up head to toe!), AND using slaves to do work... FIFA should seriously reconsider Qatar.

Sports minister is less than reassuring about how gay fans will be treated at the event.

If you are a gay soccer fan and love the World Cup, watching at home on TV would be highly recommended over traveling to Qatar, where gay sex is illegal. Comments by the country's sports minister to the Associated Press did little to calm the sense that gays aren't welcome.

Asked how gay people will be welcomed in 2022, Salah bin Ghanem bin Nasser al-Ali replied: "It's exactly like the alcohol question."

He said Qatar doesn't want to create "this impression, illusion that we don't care about our tradition and our ethical values ... We are studying all these issues. We can adapt, we can be creative to have people coming and enjoying the games without losing the essence of our culture and respecting the preference of the people coming here. I think there is a lot we can do."

The reference to the "alcohol question" was his reply on whether beer sales will be allowed at stadiums in the country where alcohol is severely restricted. "In the hotels and many areas we have alcohol but we have also our own system that people need to respect," he told AP. "As we bid for 2022, we will respect all the rules and regulations by FIFA. We can study this and minimize the impact on our people and tradition. I think we can be creative, finding solutions for all of this. But we respect all the rules and regulations."

First off, he equates equal rights for LGBT people with selling beer. And I'm not sure what "creative solutions" can be found for gay people to avoid "minimizing" Qatar's tradition of discriminating against gay people. It sounds very similar to the solution proposed by Sepp Blatter, head of FIFA, the world soccer governing body, in 2010, when he said gays could avoid any trouble by not having sex in Qatar.

The next two World Cups -- Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022 -- are in country's inhospitable to gay people. Soccer may be the be the "beautiful game," but the people running it are pretty ugly.

Source.

Also avoid the comment section lol.

e602e60d-b15e-4303-ad8d-54350994f25d_4x3_296x222.jpg

Please dress modestly if old.

Nasser

Hoently. Things will change over there by 2022. Why worry now? There was never a World Cup event hosted in that region before... I think it's about time.

Edit:

no alcohol rule and the clothing guidelines (women should cover up head to toe!),

You been to Qatar before?

e602e60d-b15e-4303-ad8d-54350994f25d_4x3_296x222.jpg

No 50s dresses, no modern clothing, no Captain America T-shirts, and no dressing like an extra from Baywatch. Also, I'm not allowed to go. Eh, I shan't be watching, anyway.

Still, that's what you get if you have an international sporting event held in a medieval country.

I think you'd be fine as long as you didn't display any PDA.

Then again, it is normal for straight men to hold hands with one another in the middle east...

I'd understand people wanting to boycott though. It was a bad choice due to the heat alone, let alone everything else.

clemenx

Banned
I don't think this Cup is happening regardless on how hellbent FIFA sounds right now. I don't see how it is possible for it to happen. To much stuff around.

i-Lo

I don't think the saying applies to modern human rights violations.

It's an overarching saying that can apply to whatever one comes up with. In this regard it is unfortunate but what is the alternative? Boycotting can only work if it were to happen in massive numbers but that doesn't seem to be the case and trying to gatecrash into these countries expecting them to change their ways to avoid human rights issues with tourists/fans is a pie in the sky fantasy atm and perhaps will only lead to violence.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hoently. Things will change over there by 2022. Why worry now? There was never a World Cup event hosted in that region before... I think it's about time.

Edit:

You been to Qatar before?

Yeah, I don't see them instilling any contrary laws by 2020, especially not one that is pro-Gay.

This is not surprising. It's how Arab countries are. Abide by their rules and regulations if you want to be there and/or watch a match in their stadiums. Simple.

Metalmarc

Yet another reason for me to distance myself away from footie.

I thought i loved the game so much when i was a kid, now just no.

KingGondo

Banned
The only realistic chance of moving or cancelling the Qatar WC at this point is for the major sponsors to complain and threaten to boycott.

Hope it happens. Hard to think of a more all-around rotten event than the 2022 World Cup.

_woLf

I really hope that countries boycott this WC. Especially after the FIFA just said there's nothing wrong and it's all Englands fault.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They should change that statement to "If you're gay you should avoid coming to Qatar. However, feel free to attend the 2022 World Cup because that will not be hosted in Qatar."

valeo

Yeah, I don't see them instilling any contrary laws by 2020, especially not one that is pro-Gay.

This is not surprising. It's how Arab countries are. Abide by their rules and regulations if you want to be there and/or watch a match in their stadiums. Simple.

An Australian team recently played against a Saudi Arabian team in Saudi for the final of the Asian Champions League; same deal there - no women, no Jewish people, no gay people allowed. Bit awkward considering the Australian teams chairman is Jewish..

FYI - the Australian team won and the Saudi players ended up spitting in their faces (literally). Score 1 for the good guys.

liquidtmd

Banned
The only realistic chance of moving or cancelling the Qatar WC at this point is for the major sponsors to complain and threaten to boycott.

My more direct thought is what the hell all the alcohol companies are going to do.

"Hey everyone. Buy our beer and enjoy. Except here"

Courage

Being gay is against their values, but having human labor die everyday with no care in the world is fine.

Go fuck yourselves.

Peru

Boycott this championship PLEASE. It's the only tool left in the box capable of changing FIFA. The big countries should stay AWAY from this tournament and sure, the Russian one as well. Let's call a moratorium on international FIFA championships until they drop their ugly ass politics, corruption and support of evil empires. BOYCOTT.

i-Lo

The culture is fundamentally deficient in these areas. This shouldn't be blindly followed.

I'll go along with crazy traditions but not with human rights violations.

Well, most of us will be waving our arms from the armchair decrying their backward ways but how can we actually effect change without being brutalized by their government officials and/or citizens who believe in the propaganda provided we went to these country as tourists and openly opposed the said ways?

I am more concerned with the safety of gays who will be daredevil tourists during WC in both Russia and Qatar.

I wonder if you'd be saying the same thing if you were gay. It's not something you get to choose.

When did I say anything about "choosing"?

NateDog

I thought Blatter already said this himself around a year ago, can't say I'm surprised though considering it's FIFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom