• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.Mika confirmed for Street Fighter V

D.Dark was the bee's knees - I played as him all the time in EX plus Alpha. I'd love to see him and some of the other EX characters return, but I read somewhere that Capcom doesn't even own the rights to those guys. Is there any truth to that?
They're owned by Arika, the company that developed the EX games

jerry1594

D.Dark was the bee's knees - I played as him all the time in EX plus Alpha. I'd love to see him and some of the other EX characters return, but I read somewhere that Capcom doesn't even own the rights to those guys. Is there any truth to that?
All original EX characters are owned by Arika

It would only cost Capcom literally a fraction of even IV's budget to buy the rights to the EX characters. It's nonsense how they haven't done so by now. Lots of great chars for the cannon they're just wasting away.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It would only cost Capcom literally a fraction of even IV's budget to buy the rights to the EX characters. It's nonsense how they haven't done so by now. Lots of great chars for the cannon they're just wasting away.
Who says it's about the money?

histopher

Yeah i think the reason they never bothered was the fact that the EX characters either killed off the originals or supplanted them. I mean Kairi killed Akuma in those games and he basically was meant to replace Ryu.

Zubz

Banned

Do we know this for a fact? I mean, SFV's only happening because Sony's chipping in, and they have more than enough characters as-is. I know we'd all love to see Skullomania, but the EX cast probably isn't worth it to them.

I assume it'd of been about the money...

Yeah i think the reason they never bothered was the fact that the EX characters either killed off the originals or supplanted them. I mean Kairi killed Akuma in those games and he basically was meant to replace Ryu.
...though I didn't consider any of this. Still, they could retcon some of those details. They've done it before.

Do we know this for a fact? I mean, SFV's only happening because Sony's chipping in, and they have more than enough characters as-is. I know we'd all love to see Skullomania, but the EX cast probably isn't worth it to them.

It'd be worth it. Look at all the fandom those characters get even to this day. Some of them do really well in the popularity polls, too. I mean, no one thought R.Mika would generate so much buzz; she was a bit of a no-name back in the Alpha days. And yet look at all the talk about her now.

Some of the EX chars were much more well-received than Mika back in the day. I'd imagine some of them would draw even bigger attention now, like Skullomania or Garuda.

SephLuis

Akira made a tech demo for the 3DS, if I am not mistaken, showing a fighting game with the EX alpha characters. Too bad that they never launched that product =(

Pompadour

It isn't. They are very unrecognizable characters as far as Street Fighter goes. A Capcom rep was asked about the possibility of EX characters for 4 and he said that there was already so many mainline SF characters that haven't been seen in a long time before they'd go to that well.

Village

It isn't. They are very unrecognizable characters as far as Street Fighter goes. A Capcom rep was asked about the possibility of EX characters for 4 and he said that there was already so many mainline SF characters that haven't been seen in a long time before they'd go to that well.

So you saying Necro has a chance

Raitaro

What the hell is going on with those two dudes in the bus?

FINALLY someone else notices! I really don't know why Capcom can't move one of them to the other window or change the position of the front guy to not look like he is getting poked in the hiney.

Surely someone within Capcom must have seen it by now (
assuming they didn't put them in that position on purpose, just like with that 2P jiggle "bug", to gradually ramp up this series' sexiness
)! It almost ruins this otherwise cool looking stage for me
, being the prude that I am,
if I'm honest, and it's all for such a pointless reason.

Heh heh...indeed...
why is this even a joke we can make Capcom, just move one of them to the side!

Dremark

Banned

As others have mentioned they are owned by Arika, however it seems like they own the full rights to them and can use them as they please.

Allen and Blair were both in a Namco released Arika fighting game named "Fighting Later" which ended up never leaving Japanese arcades in 98 or so. They also did some sort of a 3DS tech demo with some of them a few years back if I recall.

Some EX characters are cool (although Garuda is horrible - random polygon spikes coming out of his armor?), but it's not like there's a shortage of wanted characters that Capcom can implement without paying anyone else a dime.

Also, if they'd put in Skullomania or D.Dark, you'd have millions of people going "they put in THOSE guys over Guile/Blanka/Sagat/Sawada?".

Dremark

Banned
Some EX characters are cool (although Garuda is horrible - random polygon spikes coming out of his armor?), but it's not like there's a shortage of wanted characters that Capcom can implement without paying anyone else a dime.

Also, if they'd put in Skullomania or D.Dark, you'd have millions of people going "they put in THOSE guys over Guile/Blanka/Sagat/Sawada?".

I'm pretty sure more people played the EX games than the one based off the live action movie.

I think EX did well enough a character or two could be an option if the game is successful and has really long legs, but by that point we'd already have most of the existing SF characters and it's not likely to happen as Capcom prolly wouldn't want to drop the cash.

You have people doing that right now w/ Mika; not on this forum at least but in other spots. And not in the millions, but all the same you wouldn't have millions crying over Skullomania or D.Dark making the cut above others, either. All in all, that's a flimsy excuse to hitch the reasoning on imho.

Yes Capcom has a treasure trove of characters for SF but if that's what I think it is, they'd lull in characters from other franchises that have no reason for being in a mainline SF and put them in, just to MUGEN up the cast. IV already started to tip in that direction, ruining the close-knit feeling among its cast the previous entries maintained so well.

As much as I like some designs from Star Gladiator or Power Stone, those characters don't fit the Street Fighter philosophy, neither in terms of design or playstyle, and they'd stick out like a sore thumb to anyone even paying a little bit of attention to thematic consistency. It also requires taking into consideration that some of the EX designs are just outright better than a lot of what Capcom's squeezed out recently.

Let's face it, Juri and C.Viper were the only solid new entries from IV. In addition to them we got a boring French man, a stereotype Latino, a vomit-inducing insult rival to Ken, and a super-red big guy who has a hard-on for an oil fetish. If I forgot anyone then that speaks to how forgettable the other new IV designs truly were. EX even bosses over some of the III designs, which by and large were better than the newcomers in IV. Right now V is on point with Necalli, but we'll see if they can maintain that quality or get even better with the rest of the newcomers.

One thing is for sure, though; they'll have to push pretty hard to give us characters as iconic as some of the III, EX and Alpha cast; even Viper and Juri fall a bit short compared to most of them on several aspects.

Top Bottom