• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ralph Macchio: Where The Karate Kid is Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Sports Illustrated just posted a really cool piece on what it is like to be the fugue of Nostalgia in someone's mind. The responsibilities you have and how Ralph Macchio has those same feelings for professional athletes he watched as a child and adult.

Even after all this time, it still amazes me. This summer marks 30 years since I left my home in Long Island for Southern California to start shooting a modest-budget film, The Karate Kid. Yet rarely a day goes by when I don't encounter some type of reference to that seminal sports movie -- a catchphrase, a punch line, a re-creation of favorite Karate Kid moments.
I am married now with two kids, both older than Daniel LaRusso was when he was introduced to the world in 1984. Yet that chapter in my life remains frozen in time. I guess it doesn't help (or hurt) that I've maintained these boyish looks. I imagine if I were bald and round, it would be easier to hide this youthful character in the wrinkles of my frame. But I honestly believe that even if I won an Oscar or discovered a cure for cancer, my tombstone would still read here lies THE KARATE KID. Oops, I meant THE ORIGINAL KARATE KID. (Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.)
I can't begin to tell you the number of times I hear "Get him a body bag" or "Sweep the leg" in a given week. I can be at home putting out the garbage, and a driver passing by will roll down the window and yell, "Wax on! Wax off!" I can promise you that if I attend any type of major sporting event, it's almost a given that either Bananarama's "Cruel Summer" or Joe Esposito's "You're the Best" will start blasting over the sound system, and then -- bam! -- there I am, up on the Jumbotron.
At this point in my life I embrace it, on most occasions, though if I'm out with the family at an Asian restaurant, chopsticks firmly in hand, and I notice a fly on the wall, even 20 feet away, I know I have exactly nine seconds to get out of the building!
But I get it. Not only do I get it, but I've also been guilty of it myself. These former athletes must have at least the same lower-back pain I have when I get out of bed in the morning at fifty-something years old. But I don't want to think about the Joe Montana that way, or even imagine it. I don't want to see him squinting at a dinner menu. I don't want to hear about his creaking knees or the pain in his joints or whether he has to pee more than once in the middle of the night. (Sorry, folks, but it happens.) I just want to see Montana throwing the game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl XXIII. I recently learned that Craig is an accomplished motivational speaker. Maybe he has a receding, gray hair line, but all I can say is that if I ever run into him, he had better be wrapped in red, white and blue!
So I guess I share this burden with these athletes: a responsibility to uphold a moment that has stood the test of time. I understand that I am still somebody's childhood role model. People often approach me and tell me that I changed their lives. "I was bullied, and you gave me courage," they sometimes say. Or, "I was a fish out of water, and you gave me the strength to belong." I always try to respond graciously because it's an honor knowing what I represent to them. But sometimes I just can't help but say, in the most humble way possible, "Thanks, man, but really, I was just the guy who got the part."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ma...lph-macchio-karate-kid-point-after/?mobile=no

Give it a read.

The highlight of his career was his guest appearance on HIMYM.

Loved when Barney called him the villain of Karate Kid.

He is the hero that you've been dreaming of.

Nope.

In the words of Barney Stinson:
"Shut it Ralph Macchio! Why don't you party with Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, War Horse and all the other villains and stop ruining my night!"

baphomet

I paid a lot of money to go to a Peter Cerera concert just to hear the Karate Kid II theme. It was worth every penny.

The highlight of his career was his guest appearance on HIMYM.

Loved when Barney called him the villain of Karate Kid.

Nope.

In the words of Barney Stinson:
"Shut it Ralph Macchio! Why don't you party with Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, War Horse and all the other villains and stop ruining my night!"
True. The real hero and most interesting character in Karate Kid was Mr. Miyagi.

I like Crossroads even more then Karate Kid. It's a wonderful road movie with great music, Jamie Gertz at her hottest and a guitar duel for a man's soul between Macchio and the devil's champion played by Steve Vai.

Too bad that terrible Britney Spears movie with the same name forever poisoned the title.

I like Crossroads even more then Karate Kid. It's a wonderful road movie with great music, Jamie Gertz at her hottest and a guitar duel for a man's soul between Macchio and the devil's champion played by Steve Vai.

Too bad that terrible Britney Spears movie with the same name forever poisoned the title.

Aww yiss banging a chick in a barn

I signed up for karate because of this movie. I then proceeded to get my ass kicked in every tournament I entered....THANKS FOR NOTHING RALPH MACCHIO!!!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
AWWWW YEEEAH MIAGI-SAN.

tumblr_m672duAaX11qhouuoo1_500.jpg

Also, Ralph is now the same age that Pat was when they filmed Karate Kid.

Trojan X

Banned
LoL! That was a good read and I really "get" what he means. Thanks for sharing, kinda made my day a little brighter.

3422396835_aa314dfdff.jpg

Yeah, that was a humorous scene.

just another shitty movie where the wanker is made out to be the hero.

in the real world, cobra bros would have kicked his sorry ass. And that would be the end of it.

tumblr_m092hsN6gA1r53y42o1_1280.jpg

cobrakai300dpi_jpg_98999-621x689.jpg

tumblr_m14a9g9kVl1rq110co1_500.jpg

cobra-kai-karate-kid_2.png

Cobra_Kai_by_alggsfan.jpg

The final moments of The Karate Kid always left me rooting for Cobra Kai. Sure they were a bunch of dicks but that's just because they've got a nasty sensei. An equally powerful story in the film is the redemption of Cobra Kai:

Bobby literally falls on his knees to apologize to Daniel after dealing the disabling blow.
75bfef8c-f969-42aa-b20c-73753bca7d92.jpg

Johnny, in tears, congratulates Daniel on his victory and accepts him as a peer.
3aa5c01b-19d0-4229-ba39-0640ca473d16.jpg

Beautiful emotion. Then at the beginning of KarateKid2, the Cobra Kai are clearly questioning their leader even further. Still gotta love Daniel-San though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So we're all agreed that 2>3>1, right? With the only exception being Shue's replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom