• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ralph Macchio: Where The Karate Kid is Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 5 years old when this came out and it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my short life. I think I had my parents rent this from the video store for weeks straight until I eventually got a copy of it. If 1 or 2 come on the TV I can't not watch.

I'm still pissed that they portrayed an Italian kid from Newark, NJ as such a punk when he went out to Cali. But I guess the "baseball bat to the kneecaps kid" wouldn't have been as much of a crowd pleaser.

Sapiens

I was 5 years old when this came out and it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my short life. I think I had my parents rent this from the video store for weeks straight until I eventually got a copy of it. If 1 or 2 come on the TV I can't not watch.

I'm still pissed that they portrayed an Italian kid from Newark, NJ as such a punk when he went out to Cali. But I guess the "baseball bat to the kneecaps kid" wouldn't have been as much of a crowd pleaser.

I know what you mean. This wasn't my first "underdog sports" movies (that honor would go to Slapshot), but there's always something magical about your first time watching one.

Hanmik

I remember a radio Quiz show that I listened to.. a guy called in and was asked this Question:

"What is the name of the movie from the 90´s, made by stephen spielberg, featuring ancient extinct creauteres, based on a book..?" (the right answer is Jurassic park)

he answered "Karate Kid".

the radio host laughed a little, and said "no not quite, but you get one more go at it"

then he answered "Karate Kid 2"..

the radio hosts couldn´t stop laughing.. the sad thing is that the guy was serious..

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
got to be kidding me.. ? I was born in 75.. the way I look at it I´m 28 years old.

1975-1980 = 5 Years.
1990-2013 = 23 Years.

The 80´s is the worst decade ever.. ever.. oh my I try to block those imaginary years every day.. every fucking day.

I am going to train my body and mind and then find and defeat you. And let's just say that the music playing during this training would in itself be enough to destroy you.

Anyone else have some of the Karate Kid Part II toys as a kid?

The only one I had was the bad guy (kind of like the only action figure I got when 1989 Batman came out was Bob the fuckin' Goon)

bzSfZeJ.png

I didn't even bother seeing the newest Karate Kid.

chris121580

I watched The Karate Kid almost every day growing up. Johnny was a good villain but I still think Dutch would've been better as the primary bad guy

Hanmik

I am going to train my body and mind and then find and defeat you. And let's just say that the music playing during this training would in itself be enough to destroy you.

you are right ... the 80´s montage I´m imagining in my (disturbed) head is something that would kill me.. I can already Hear "Duran Duran", "Wham" and "Frankie Goes to Hollywood (wink wink)" being played.. all that terrible music is enough to kill me..

Btw. it´s not hard to find me, unless I´m standing with my side turned to you, I´m so thin that you would probably not see me (unless I have a boner)..

Venturin

Banned
The Goonies is unwatchable for an adult though.

No way... It's very 'busy', the kids chatter and shout and seem to be on sugar high's the entire film, but it's still a load of fun. There are fun moments all over the place; "Andy! You GOONIE!", "Eww you smell like phys ed!", "I hit the wrong note. I'm not Liberace you know!"

I love the sets, the locations and the craft.

ArjanN

No way... It's very 'busy', the kids chatter and shout and seem to be on sugar high's the entire film, but it's still a load of fun. There are fun moments all over the place; "Andy! You GOONIE!", "Eww you smell like phys ed!", "I hit the wrong note. I'm not Liberace you know!"

I love the sets, the locations and the craft.

That's what I was getting at yeah, I hadn't really noticed that at all when watching it as a kid myself.

I'll admit it has it's moments, especially later on, but Karate Kid holds up much better IMO.

What the fuck even happens in 2? All I remember is Daniel getting his ass kicked the whole movie and turning it off before the end because I was so disappointed

Hanmik

What the fuck even happens in 2? All I remember is Daniel getting his ass kicked the whole movie and turning it off before the end because I was so disappointed

that´s like every plot for a "action" movie from the 80´s... hero gets his ass kicked 95% of the movie, but in the end he beats the odds and wins, cue cheesy 80´s music and wipe away your tears...

ArjanN

Different strokes I guess. I could still watch Goonies all day long and I'm 33.

I was probably being a bit hyperbolic, but rewatching it, it really struck me how obnoxious the kids constantly shouting over each other are at the beginning.

Ice breaking, deadly hook dodging, and a bunch of spinning drum toy cheese for the final battle.

Yeah, he has to come up with a new special move since the crane kick didn't work on the bad guy. I think I remember it having some decent fight choreography though.

Venturin

Banned
What even happens in 2? All I remember is Daniel getting his ass kicked the whole movie and turning it off before the end because I was so disappointed

This is one of the reasons I like 2.. The Tea Ceremony

The music, the setting, the wind, the looks on their faces. I really like this sequence. I think it elevated the movie in ways..

Sorry for the double post, but this needs to be quoted ad infinitum. Be sure to check the second and third volumes as well:

http://maddecent.com/blood-bros-mix-part-2-heaven-2-hell/
http://maddecent.com/blood-bros-iii-back-in-america/

While I don't know if the 80's were truly better or not, I do know that I miss movie scores such as these ones!

The second and third ones are not as strong as the first, but still good. The second one has that totally kick ass ending where it is playing Hearts on Fire, then the drums in it mix into the beginning of Holding Out For a Hero. SO FUCKING AWESOME.

The third one...eh. It feels like they have exhausted all the truly great montage/pump up songs at that point.

3 is ALMOST completely unwatchable, by this point Daniel has been so emasculated I don't know why we are supposed to care about him, He gets friend zoned by a girl, the entire plot revolves around saving a Bonsai tree. The rules of the tournament have apparantly changed to allow a 34 year old man to skip everything but the finals, Daniel forgets everything he ever learned in the past year from Mr Miyagi and still continues to get his ass kicked. The villains are terrible compared to the original Kobra Kai dickheads.

dHepA9b.gif

Dyno

Karate Kid 2 was excellent! While watching that movie I caught a strong case of Yellow Fever, a condition I enjoyed throughout highschool and college.

chris121580

3 is ALMOST completely unwatchable, by this point Daniel has been so emasculated I don't know why we are supposed to care about him, He gets friend zoned by a girl, the entire plot revolves around saving a Bonsai tree. The rules of the tournament have apparantly changed to allow a 34 year old man to skip everything but the finals, Daniel forgets everything he ever learned in the past year from Mr Miyagi and still continues to get his ass kicked. The villains are terrible compared to the original Kobra Kai dickheads.

dHepA9b.gif
Terry Silver was so creepy in that movie..showing up at an underage dance club

Raitaro

The second and third ones are not as strong as the first, but still good. The second one has that totally kick ass ending where it is playing Hearts on Fire, then the drums in it mix into the beginning of Holding Out For a Hero. SO FUCKING AWESOME.

The third one...eh. It feels like they have exhausted all the truly great montage/pump up songs at that point.

True, true, but I still like them because they form part of a collection. And yes, I know how stupid it sounds to even want to "collect" free virtual songs, but these come with awesome cover art I tell you!

(Sigh)

bengraven

Goddamn I need to start re-buying my favorite movies from the 80s.

I have no idea why I don't own the KK trilogy, Goonies, etc.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Best kids movies in terms of holding up well are easily The Princess Bride and Time Bandits.

EDIT: Oh and Beetlejuice is still great.

If that's the special edition Goonies with all the retrospective stuff, you'll have cost me $20 and I'm 2-day shipping that.

I think it is the only version they put on Blu outside of the big gift version. So the disc contents should be the same. But I am not 100% positive.

.la1n

I try to forget that 3 and onward ever existed but I can watch the original and part 2 any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom