• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random thoughts.

GeekyDad

Pics That Make You Laugh thread is a nice, cozy little corner on Gaf.
Cozy?

200.gif

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Does anyone else have a *hard time* dealing ie interpreting emojis used in my case WhatsApp messages?

Some, if not many when taken at face value are meant to represent a certain encompassing emotion (for lack of a better description)

But in some cases a certain inherent intended meaning of an emoji (no need for examples) is used from within a specific context in which said inherent meaning is used and contorted to convey a different message ie sarcasm or irony.

Therefore the more you know the person which you're interacting with the most likely you're able to interpret emojis that within the context don't fit the general expectation.

Emojis, and text based communication in general is prone to projection. Which doesn't help when said communication is so easy to misinterpret

#randomthoughts+poorenglishskills

Edit

It's just a fascinating addition to text based communication if used correctly. You can add tone and personality etc. But how do we define a correct usage? Seeings it's concept, and I hate to repeat myself, is soooo prone to projection, interpretation and very context depended..

I mean.. real face to face communication is so inherently nuanced with many aspects playing a huge part in portraying what it is what you mean to communicate..

Last edited:

SegaHeart

Banned
If people sub to me on youtube I would show alot of great stuff if I'm dm'd I've been asked about on neogaf messages just ask? :goog_devil::goog_devil::goog_devil::goog_devil:

I wish there was a more universal gig etiquette that people knew about/cared about

There are a few standards, at least at the gigs I go to, unwritten rules, if someone falls, pick them up, make sure they are OK, and carry on, being the main one

I'm not bothered about tall people being in front of me or anything, but there are things that annoy me

Teenagers queuing up at 9am to get to the barriers - you're gonna have a bad time. You're gonna have 100's-1000's of bigger, fatter, stronger fans crash into you throughout the gig. You've also been drinking since 9am, so when you need a piss half way through the set, good luck getting out, or back in. If it's your first ever gig, fine, I suppose, but learn quickly. I can tell you now, you are not [band name] biggest fan, and that does not mean you should be first in line.

Conversations during headline acts - if during the headliners, you suddenly have the urge to have a full blown convo, then you're in the wrong place. Shouting and spitting and people's faces as you try to get across the most interesting factoid you've remembered that day is stupid

Clothing - I shit you not, I was stood behind a lady who was wearing a full winter coat, a beanie, a scarf and a full sized handbag at a gig a few days ago. Within minutes she was undressing and her husband/social worker ended up carrying most of it. Bags! Why? You need a debit/credit card or a phone with NFC to pay for drinks or merch, stop being a fucking douche bringing bags in!

Constantly moving around - you only know 1 song and want to be at the front for it. Tough titties. Treat the front 3rd of the venue as hard-core fans who want to dance, mosh, whatever. You belong at best in the middle 3rd. Everyone hates you moving in or out of the crowd. Find a spot to your liking, stay there, enjoy the night

Touting - don't sell your tickets to touts, sell them to fans outside looking to get in. Advertise on Facebook or twatter, or wherever, but don't keep tickets out of fans hands for possible profit of a couple of pounds

Kids in standing areas - if you have young kids and can't find a babysitter for the night (and you've had 6-12 months notice), then you be a responsible adult and don't go, or go to designated areas for kids. I have no issues with teaching your kids decent music at an early age, but if you force a 6 year old into a situation with very loud music, in the dark, surrounded by hundreds of unknown people, drinking and smoking, you're probably gonna scar that kid

There's more, but I'm ranting, so I'm gonna cut it short

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I wish there was a more universal gig etiquette that people knew about/cared about

There are a few standards, at least at the gigs I go to, unwritten rules, if someone falls, pick them up, make sure they are OK, and carry on, being the main one

I'm not bothered about tall people being in front of me or anything, but there are things that annoy me

Teenagers queuing up at 9am to get to the barriers - you're gonna have a bad time. You're gonna have 100's-1000's of bigger, fatter, stronger fans crash into you throughout the gig. You've also been drinking since 9am, so when you need a piss half way through the set, good luck getting out, or back in. If it's your first ever gig, fine, I suppose, but learn quickly. I can tell you now, you are not [band name] biggest fan, and that does not mean you should be first in line.

Conversations during headline acts - if during the headliners, you suddenly have the urge to have a full blown convo, then you're in the wrong place. Shouting and spitting and people's faces as you try to get across the most interesting factoid you've remembered that day is stupid

Clothing - I shit you not, I was stood behind a lady who was wearing a full winter coat, a beanie, a scarf and a full sized handbag at a gig a few days ago. Within minutes she was undressing and her husband/social worker ended up carrying most of it. Bags! Why? You need a debit/credit card or a phone with NFC to pay for drinks or merch, stop being a fucking douche bringing bags in!

Constantly moving around - you only know 1 song and want to be at the front for it. Tough titties. Treat the front 3rd of the venue as hard-core fans who want to dance, mosh, whatever. You belong at best in the middle 3rd. Everyone hates you moving in or out of the crowd. Find a spot to your liking, stay there, enjoy the night

Touting - don't sell your tickets to touts, sell them to fans outside looking to get in. Advertise on Facebook or twatter, or wherever, but don't keep tickets out of fans hands for possible profit of a couple of pounds

Kids in standing areas - if you have young kids and can't find a babysitter for the night (and you've had 6-12 months notice), then you be a responsible adult and don't go, or go to designated areas for kids. I have no issues with teaching your kids decent music at an early age, but if you force a 6 year old into a situation with very loud music, in the dark, surrounded by hundreds of unknown people, drinking and smoking, you're probably gonna scar that kid

Been a fan of music my whole life, and never once attended a concert.

If it’s a band I really like, I’d just buy their live album (if they made one) and listen to it in peace.

Been a fan of music my whole life, and never once attended a concert.

If it’s a band I really like, I’d just buy their live album (if they made one) and listen to it in peace.
ive been to many over the years but i can't be arsed with it anymore. well it's more so the more popular/bigger artists. ticketmaster has totally fucked it and artists are too greedy. you need to be super quick to have any chance of getting a good ticket and i mean you need to have a presale code and be on the site as soon as it goes live. even if you do get into the presale it's still not easy. i had a presale code for Blink 182 and had no luck with that.

when My Chemical Romance tickets went on sale i was in the queue when they went live and it was sold out almost instantly. Resale tickets were about £180 and eventually dropped to ~£120 the day before the show. Blink 182 tickets are going for anywhere up to £244 right now for a seating ticket. lowest is £190. being quick to get tickets is nothing new but if you aren't lucky to get them as soon as they go up then you need to deal with inflated prices because what Ticketmaster do is adjust the price based on demand. In fact i believe the artist has to agree to this so fuck them too.

if i go to a show now it's more likely going to be a smaller band is a smaller venue.

Aww man do not be put off by what I wrote! I love concerts, I just wish people would take them more seriously. Honestly, everyone should go to one live gig at some point, it's an experience!
Seeing a band live can really change how you think of their music.

Obviously most of the times if I go see a band it's because I already like them but I mean maybe they just brought out a new album which you aren't too impressed by or there are some older songs that you never quite got into. Hearing those songs live can make you fall in love with those old songs or that new album.

You're not just hearing the music but feeling it. I love hearing live songs because you can feel the bass guitar a lot stronger and the drums are so dynamic that you can feel it pounding in your chest with every hit and kick. You can't really come close to a live performance unless you have a really good audio set up and even then it still couldn't match.

Then of course there is the atmosphere. Being around people, everyone cheering/screaming, and having fun.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (the UK one) was so damned good up until the last season. In an alternate timeline he brought that same calmer and explorative energy to the US version, and is still making it. Instead we got:

"TONIGHT!! Watch Ramsay make the same exact complaints as he does in every episode and witness HIS FURY as he tries to make desperate people who are drowning under an ocean of debt CRY LIKE THE PUSSIES THEY ARE! Muhahahaha, welcome to another episode of Kitchen Nightmares you yanks!".

Cyberpunkd

ive been to many over the years but i can't be arsed with it anymore. well it's more so the more popular/bigger artists. ticketmaster has totally fucked it and artists are too greedy. you need to be super quick to have any chance of getting a good ticket and i mean you need to have a presale code and be on the site as soon as it goes live. even if you do get into the presale it's still not easy. i had a presale code for Blink 182 and had no luck with that.

when My Chemical Romance tickets went on sale i was in the queue when they went live and it was sold out almost instantly. Resale tickets were about £180 and eventually dropped to ~£120 the day before the show. Blink 182 tickets are going for anywhere up to £244 right now for a seating ticket. lowest is £190. being quick to get tickets is nothing new but if you aren't lucky to get them as soon as they go up then you need to deal with inflated prices because what Ticketmaster do is adjust the price based on demand. In fact i believe the artist has to agree to this so fuck them too.

if i go to a show now it's more likely going to be a smaller band is a smaller venue.
This shitshow makes me appreciate my taste in classical music:
  • Nobody goes to this, so you can get prime seat tickets at a philharmonie for less than 100€, we are talking about God-tier artists, Top10 worldwide in their respective discipline
  • Since it's classical music every ticket is for a seated place, I think mosh pit gets old when you turn 20

AJUMP23

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (the UK one) was so damned good up until the last season. In an alternate timeline he brought that same calmer and explorative energy to the US version, and is still making it. Instead we got:

"TONIGHT!! Watch Ramsay make the same exact complaints as he does in every episode and witness HIS FURY as he tries to make desperate people who are drowning under an ocean of debt CRY LIKE THE PUSSIES THEY ARE! Muhahahaha, welcome to another episode of Kitchen Nightmares you yanks!".
Ya man the UK version had a lot of heart and people were actually shown how to improve. The US version is just yelling at people.

Ionian

Saw Korn at a small venue for their first album. Some stupid fat fuck decided he try and start a mosh-pit, belted me in the mouth and chipped a tooth.

He got a slap for that. Also the support acts singer pissed on the crowd. Wild stuff. People he pissed on didn't even move.

Lunarorbit

I created a Twitter account for the first time over a year ago. Never used it. I guess I'd rather just read the contents on reddit or see it posted somewhere else.

My point being, I'm glad I don't use it with ragnarok coming out. I know tons of people got spoiled on tlou2 (even though lots of it was bs) and I'd be pissed if I pre ordered this in July and some random tweet fucks it up for you.

But someone did post a thread on how to block spoilers that was super informative so maybe I'm just anti having a Twitter account/lazy.

Saw Korn at a small venue for their first album. Some stupid fat fuck decided he try and start a mosh-pit, belted me in the mouth and chipped a tooth.

He got a slap for that. Also the support acts singer pissed on the crowd. Wild stuff. People he pissed on didn't even move.
Seen korn myself a few times...never been pissed on lol. Though I won't kink shame anyone into that kinda thing 🤣

Only time I've been in any kind of altercation was at a Rob zombie gig, some drugged up idiot was swinging his outstretched arms about, had his own damn little mosh pit. Few of us eventually got him tripped up, picked him up and got him thrown over the barrier into the waiting bouncers loving arms

You're not just hearing the music but feeling it. I love hearing live songs because you can feel the bass guitar a lot stronger and the drums are so dynamic that you can feel it pounding in your chest with every hit and kick. You can't really come close to a live performance unless you have a really good audio set up and even then it still couldn't match.

Then of course there is the atmosphere. Being around people, everyone cheering/screaming, and having fun.
This is exactly how I feel. Leading from the build up hours before, travelling down to wherever and slowly joining the group of people heading towards the venue, getting in and feeling the sound checks already making the building vibrate
The constant drum of excited conversation, few drinks, then lights go out, can literally feel the air change and feeling those first few waves of music inside your body, ain't nothing like it in this world!

Already got me excited for my next gig in a few weeks thinking about it 😄

Ionian

Seen korn myself a few times...never been pissed on lol. Though I won't kink shame anyone into that kinda thing 🤣

Only time I've been in any kind of altercation was at a Rob zombie gig, some drugged up idiot was swinging his outstretched arms about, had his own damn little mosh pit. Few of us eventually got him tripped up, picked him up and got him thrown over the barrier into the waiting bouncers loving arms

Was the support act. Was crazy. Korn was great though. First album.

GeekyDad

Hmm...

I might have to start checkin' out some Korn shows. I'll draft some legal documents beforehand, bring high quality camera equipment, and a couple of assistants (witnesses). I'll probably need to stock up on some mouth protection and antibiotics, but this sounds potentially lucrative.

i've hated drinking vodka all my life because i always bought local scottish shit. tried some polish vodka which was not bad but didn't blow my mind. i know it's crazy but i finally tried russian vodka (fuck russia btw) and wow. shit's good yo.

i hate myself for buying russian but im impressed. i thought it was basically just the same as my local shit but it's not.

yeah im drinking vodka now. so good. fuck russia

I love Disney+

Andor alone makes it clap
i can't get into Disney+

so far i've only joined for Star Wars stuff like mando/boba/obi wan.

mando is good and obi wan was eh ok. boba was trash. not bothered with andor.

marvel shit can fuck off and die.

pixar stuff is not bad but not enough to get me to sub much.

i guess if i was outside the UK i'd be joining up for DW in a year or two.

Last edited:

Ionian

Hmm...

I might have to start checkin' out some Korn shows. I'll draft some legal documents beforehand, bring high quality camera equipment, and a couple of assistants (witnesses). I'll probably need to stock up on some mouth protection and antibiotics, but this sounds potentially lucrative.
I was 16-17. I'',m in my forties. Worst one was a girl die at smahing Pumkins concert. Got crusseud.

GeekyDad

Wow, didn't realize that band had that kind of crowd. I'd heard of Korn, though it's never been my kinda music. But SP I thought was a bit more...relaxed, I guess you could say. Huh...

Ionian

Smashinging Pumpkins. They removed them after. Was to stop moshing.

Saw the Chli'is in 95. Girl I went with (friend) got crushed. Dissapeared for the gig.

She was fine but mentally scarred.

Top Bottom