• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random thoughts.

dr_octagon

Banned
Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Setting antigens and technical challenges aside, if a brain transplant were possible, who would that person be afterward? The donator of the body or of the brain?
the brain... the body is just a skeleton mech with mear armor housing you
Certainly makes you wonder...

Surely you'd be getting never-before-experienced feedback from your new body which probably has a different way of processing. I'm guessing your subjective experience would be 85% brain and 15% new body, becoming a weird amalgamation of the two

GeekyDad

the brain... the body is just a skeleton mech with mear armor housing you
That seems a pretty simplified way of thinking about it. Like Grildon seemed to be suggesting, the body has its own sensory outputs, accustomed way of processing, due to both its natural construct and how its been trained over years. I'm sure it has to provide a substantial contribution to the organic experience.

I'm guessing, though, if you're transplanting the entire head, then yeah, your answer might be more accurate. But again, I would still imagine the body's going to contribute a good share, considering what and how its sending information back to the brain. And I guess, really, transplanting and the entire head would probably be the only realistic approach. Removing and reattaching a brain would seem far too complicated.
Certainly makes you wonder...

Surely you'd be getting never-before-experienced feedback from your new body which probably has a different way of processing. I'm guessing your subjective experience would be 85% brain and 15% new body, becoming a weird amalgamation of the two

Banned
That seems a pretty simplified way of thinking about it. Like Grildon seemed to be suggesting, the body has its own sensory outputs, accustomed way of processing, due to both its natural construct and how its been trained over years. I'm sure it has to provide a substantial contribution to the organic experience.

well I bet your brain would need to adjust to the new body but it would still be you in a new body.

but the brain can adapt to changes like that, in fact if parts of your brain get damaged it's bot uncommon that other parts start slowly taking over the duties of the damaged parts. of course that doesn't always happen and might not be as good as it was before.

all your thoughts and all your senses get processed in the brain, the rest of you is quite literally just wires and pipes that keep you alive and send signals to the brain.

GeekyDad

well I bet your brain would need to adjust to the new body but it would still be you in a new body.

but the brain can adapt to changes like that, in fact if parts of your brain get damaged it's bot uncommon that other parts start slowly taking over the duties of the damaged parts. of course that doesn't always happen and might not be as good as it was before.

all your thoughts and all your senses get processed in the brain, the rest of you is quite literally just wires and pipes that keep you alive and send signals to the brain.
Is it though? Are we comparing it to a computer and the casing it sits in? But even that has many components -- motherboard, hdd, ram drive, etc.

But what about if you compared it to a car. If you took the dashboard of a Toyota Camry and put it in a Ford Mustang, would the car still be a Toyota Camry in spite of engine of the Mustang?

How do we know for sure memories couldn't/wouldn't be affected by the information coming in from the new body? And even if we do equate the brain to a computer, it still requires software to be functional. How do we know that would be stored in the brain once detaching it from the rest of the body? What if, like computer hardware, it were necessary to reformat the brain in order for it to function properly with a new frame? What if that process happened naturally when you performed the transplant?

Crazy shit... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The crab cakes I had for dinner had too much Dijon, not enough Old Bay.

I still ate them because I 'm a pig. But I won't be ordering them from that restaurant again.

MAtgS

So are Little Boy Blue and Little Red Riding Hood like brother and sister or something? Do they have a third cousin, twice removed Orange?

i joined Discord and feel lost. i must be getting old because i don't know what the hell i am doing lol.

went into the app and there is no apparent way to find servers. i can make my own but i don't want to do that. there is a bit where i can put in an invite which is fine but i don't have an invite and i can't search for servers. i literally sat there on my phone staring at the screen feeling so confused.

searched for a list of popular servers in my browser. found one i liked the look of which had a cyberpunk (not the game) feel to it so i joined that and was overwhelmed right away. some bot is talking to me, i need to verify something, then it's asking me to pick a role and there are a fuck load of little icons. the server has loads of pages (?) but i eventually find one and the chat is moving so fast. from what i can read there are lot of people saying rude shit. so i nope out of there.

joined another server which was a bit slower. someone said Hi to me but i couldn't post.

so now i have no servers and dont know what to expect going into others. i'm probably going to uninstall it and delete my account lol. maybe i should stick to these kind of forums and reddit/twitter (not that i post on there). see that's the thing...i'm more of a lurker. i mean i post on this forum but the likes of reddit and twitter i just look at stupid photos, read stuff, and watch funny videos. it seems discord is not a place for lurkers. at least that's my impression so far. i don't want to have full on conversations with people lol i'm up for talking but not that much!

should i just delete it or am i doing something wrong?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i joined Discord and feel lost. i must be getting old because i don't know what the hell i am doing lol.

went into the app and there is no apparent way to find servers. i can make my own but i don't want to do that. there is a bit where i can put in an invite which is fine but i don't have an invite and i can't search for servers. i literally sat there on my phone staring at the screen feeling so confused.

searched for a list of popular servers in my browser. found one i liked the look of which had a cyberpunk (not the game) feel to it so i joined that and was overwhelmed right away. some bot is talking to me, i need to verify something, then it's asking me to pick a role and there are a fuck load of little icons. the server has loads of pages (?) but i eventually find one and the chat is moving so fast. from what i can read there are lot of people saying rude shit. so i nope out of there.

joined another server which was a bit slower. someone said Hi to me but i couldn't post.

so now i have no servers and dont know what to expect going into others. i'm probably going to uninstall it and delete my account lol. maybe i should stick to these kind of forums and reddit/twitter (not that i post on there). see that's the thing...i'm more of a lurker. i mean i post on this forum but the likes of reddit and twitter i just look at stupid photos, read stuff, and watch funny videos. it seems discord is not a place for lurkers. at least that's my impression so far. i don't want to have full on conversations with people lol i'm up for talking but not that much!

First you need to find communities you do or want to participate in or have some sort of objective for being on the server. Like the Gaf Discord is cool because you can see every new thread that happens as they get posted.

You find servers online, depending on the topics you're interested in. There are websites like Disboard which show a bunch of servers and you can search for topics you like in the search

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I thought I drank too often, then I saw Matthew Perry's little discussion on the most recent Real Time. Yea, I don't have a problem. I'm playing t-ball, real addicts are playing the World Series.

You find servers online, depending on the topics you're interested in. There are websites like Disboard which show a bunch of servers and you can search for topics you like in the search
i downloaded the app on my PC and there were some servers coming up. i could search for some too. seems like it's only the mobile apps that don't recommend servers or let you search.

i've joined a few :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: PC Master Race, Cyberpunk 2077, and Fortnite. i'll have another look later for some more! i'm getting the idea of it now lol but i'm still too shy to post in any of them lol. sounds silly i know because i post on here but i don't know. feels different on Discord.

Does life have a point
You need to try leave the world in a better place than you found it. You don't need to do anything big or crazy. You don't need to be rich, famous, successful, or religious in order to improve the world. Also, at times I can feel miserable and think there's no point. We all live, fuck about, and die.

There is a song by one of my favorite bands that I think sums this up perfectly and helped shape the way I think about life:

"When it's all gone
Something carries on
And it's not morbid at all
Just that nature's had enough of you

When my blood stops
Someone else's will thaw
When my head rolls off
Someone else's will turn
And while I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to earth
"

To me it's saying that yeah we're going to die but once our time is up someone will take our place. The last line says it all...even though life might feel miserable then we can at least try to make some changes even tiny ones.

What's a tiny change? There is a book I read (The Amber Spyglass/His Dark Materials) that also helped the way I think about life. The final passage I think explains what tiny changes could be:

"But then we wouldn't have been able to build it. No one could if they put themselves first. We have to be all those difficult things like cheerful and kind and curious and patient, and we've got to study and think and work hard, all of us, in all our different worlds, and then we'll build…"
"And then what? Build what?"
"The Republic of Heaven
"

I don't want to come off sounding religious/preachy. The book has a lot of religious stuff in it but it's fighting against it. God is literally killed in it and this passage kind of speaks to building a heaven without being religious. Instead of praying and worshiping a god to get into heaven it says that we only have what we have while we're alive. There is nothing after we die except we become part of the universe and become part of the air, trees, ocean, stars, etc. So if there is no heaven after we die then we need to build it here while we're alive. To do that we need to be "all those difficult things" like being selfless, cheerful, kind, curious, patient, independent, learn critical thought, and be willing to learn. For me that's what I think of as tiny changes. They can be anything...you define them. If we all do that then we'll leave the world a better place.

So TL;DR: it might feel like there is no point to life but that's what I think: We'll all end up dead but while we're alive we can try make little changes to improve the world and make it a better place.

Last edited:
i downloaded the app on my PC and there were some servers coming up. i could search for some too. seems like it's only the mobile apps that don't recommend servers or let you search.

i've joined a few :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: PC Master Race, Cyberpunk 2077, and Fortnite. i'll have another look later for some more! i'm getting the idea of it now lol but i'm still too shy to post in any of them lol. sounds silly i know because i post on here but i don't know. feels different on Discord.
It is a different environment Discord, and even more depending on the server. Some are active and bustling, some are dead/abandonded, some are like forums which see activity but at a slower pace, etc.

GeekyDad

It is a different environment Discord, and even more depending on the server. Some are active and bustling, some are dead/abandonded, some are like forums which see activity but at a slower pace, etc.
I'm another who hasn't (I don't think so, anyway) messed with Discord. Is it associated with any other notable social-media company? I ask because I'm wondering if I could just log in with another account, like you would YT and Google, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom