• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random thoughts.

I'm another who hasn't (I don't think so, anyway) messed with Discord. Is it associated with any other notable social-media company? I ask because I'm wondering if I could just log in with another account, like you would YT and Google, etc.
You could, I have multiple accounts myself

Mistake

Not sure how to respond friend
Maybe we need a harold emoji
sBEaSsq.jpg

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh I forgot about HBO Max. Yea, I have that too. I cancelled Prime several weeks ago. Come to think of it I also have Apple TV+but that service, for me, has been a real let down.

I (re)watched Arrival, Whiplash and Drive on HBO last week.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Dreading sub 1000 calories for the coming months.
Need to lose 7+ kilo in 3 months.

Last edited:
I (re)watched Arrival, Whiplash and Drive on HBO last week.
Arrival is the latest movie I have enjoyed... Before it, that was Mad Max Fury Road.... I will love anyone who recommends me something that replaces Arrival forever, I am starving for content and entertainment...

Watched the show "From" yesterday and it really hit the spot; 10/10 but not a movie... I like Sci-fi a looott currently watching Severance; so far so good. I could not stan 1899

Can anyone link me Gaf threads that could help me find good movies and shows?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You need to try leave the world in a better place than you found it. You don't need to do anything big or crazy. You don't need to be rich, famous, successful, or religious in order to improve the world. Also, at times I can feel miserable and think there's no point. We all live, fuck about, and die.

There is a song by one of my favorite bands that I think sums this up perfectly and helped shape the way I think about life:

"When it's all gone
Something carries on
And it's not morbid at all
Just that nature's had enough of you

When my blood stops
Someone else's will thaw
When my head rolls off
Someone else's will turn
And while I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to earth
"

To me it's saying that yeah we're going to die but once our time is up someone will take our place. The last line says it all...even though life might feel miserable then we can at least try to make some changes even tiny ones.

What's a tiny change? There is a book I read (The Amber Spyglass/His Dark Materials) that also helped the way I think about life. The final passage I think explains what tiny changes could be:

"But then we wouldn't have been able to build it. No one could if they put themselves first. We have to be all those difficult things like cheerful and kind and curious and patient, and we've got to study and think and work hard, all of us, in all our different worlds, and then we'll build…"
"And then what? Build what?"
"The Republic of Heaven
"

I don't want to come off sounding religious/preachy. The book has a lot of religious stuff in it but it's fighting against it. God is literally killed in it and this passage kind of speaks to building a heaven without being religious. Instead of praying and worshiping a god to get into heaven it says that we only have what we have while we're alive. There is nothing after we die except we become part of the universe and become part of the air, trees, ocean, stars, etc. So if there is no heaven after we die then we need to build it here while we're alive. To do that we need to be "all those difficult things" like being selfless, cheerful, kind, curious, patient, independent, learn critical thought, and be willing to learn. For me that's what I think of as tiny changes. They can be anything...you define them. If we all do that then we'll leave the world a better place.

So TL;DR: it might feel like there is no point to life but that's what I think: We'll all end up dead but while we're alive we can try make little changes to improve the world and make it a better place.

Love Frightened Rabbit. RIP Scott

I'm another who hasn't (I don't think so, anyway) messed with Discord. Is it associated with any other notable social-media company? I ask because I'm wondering if I could just log in with another account, like you would YT and Google, etc.
They aren't owned by any big companies. Microsoft was going to buy them years ago but it never happened. As for signing up i cant remember if i was giving the option to use a google/apple/facebook account. I don't think you can do that.

As soon as I joined up they started throwing captchas at me and then forced me to add my phone number. so if you do join just know that. there is an option to remove my phone number but i've found out that some servers won't let you join without having verified your account with a number.

GeekyDad

They aren't owned by any big companies. Microsoft was going to buy them years ago but it never happened. As for signing up i cant remember if i was giving the option to use a google/apple/facebook account. I don't think you can do that.

As soon as I joined up they started throwing captchas at me and then forced me to add my phone number. so if you do join just know that. there is an option to remove my phone number but i've found out that some servers won't let you join without having verified your account with a number.
Oh, yeah, in that case, I think I'll stay away. I've been getting inundated with voting texts since the last election. I'm guessing they'd also sell my info. Thanks, though, for the heads-up.

Whatever skills I want to do, I want to be amazing at. I'm tired of working hard on my creative endeavors just to be ignored. It's fucking frustrating working hard on something just to be passed over. I don't even get haters, just straight up ignored which is worse to me. I want my works to matter, to leave some kind of impression on the viewers. Am I the best at what I do? Fuck no. I can improve. But idk...I just don't get it. Ughhhhhh

GymWolf

Jesus fucking christ am i the only fucker in this shitty planet that put a ton of bubble wrap or other stuff inside the pack to not damage the goods when i send a package?

Why in the absolute fuck these cunts on amazon or literally any other place put barely anything inside the package for super delicate things that can break with extremely minimal effort and knowing that couriers treat packages with zero care at all...(i work with couriers and i saw my fair share of shit, i wanted to beat the shit out of some of them)

I dont understand, i have a damn entire room dedicated to all the bubble wrap and stuff i put inside the packages i make, and i'm a nobody with a small company.

Do these people prefer to do rma on things instead of paying 5 cents of bubble wrap? Are they so fucking stupid?

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Got a feeling I might have been consuming too much baking powder/soda over the past several weeks. I developed an oat bread that equates to a healthy breakfast, but of course, it calls for 1 and 1/4 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. I've been eating about a 1/3 (sometimes as much as 1/2) of a loaf daily without contemplating the effects those two ingredients would have on my tummy. The past two days my stomach, especially in the morning, is feeling ugh... Of course, I also had some out-of-date hummus (didn't realize it was OOD until after I ate it) the day before these issues started. I don't know. Been eating this bread for a good two months with no issues. So, maybe it was the hummus. Either way, gonna try and half the amounts of baking powder/soda and see how the bread holds up when baking.

Oh, yeah, in that case, I think I'll stay away. I've been getting inundated with voting texts since the last election. I'm guessing they'd also sell my info. Thanks, though, for the heads-up.
yeah, i'm not using my main number on my account lol. i noticed i'm getting a lot of spam/scam messages recently but don't know where it's coming from. so now i try not use my main number for signing up for stuff.

also apparently discord is quite bad when it comes to privacy and selling your data. i don't know if it's true but i seen a few people mention it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I did not give a phone number when I joined Discord FWIW.

Nor did I that I can recall - though I joined when Discord it was very new and have used it almost exclusively to chat with a circle of friends on their server. I can count on one hand the amount of times I wandered outside of it looking for info / asked by someone I met in a game, and haven't even launched it this year that I can recall.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Nor did I that I can recall - though I joined when Discord it was very new and have used it almost exclusively to chat with a circle of friends on their server. I can count on one hand the amount of times I wandered outside of it looking for info / asked by someone I met in a game, and haven't even launched it this year that I can recall.
Fair point. I think I joined maybe 2 years ago. Maybe it’s changed.

I did not give a phone number when I joined Discord FWIW.
it's not mandatory as it seems you should be able to sign up without one but i felt like i was forced to give it. i signed up with my email and it started asking me to pick pictures with bananas on a plate to prove i wasn't a robot. once i had done that it was like "something's not right" (can't remember the exact words) and asked me to give my phone number. there was no way around it. i've never signed up for discord and i wasn't running my VPN so i don't know what triggered them. there is the option to remove my phone number in the settings but whatever...it's not my main phone number so i don't care what they do with it.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I wonder if there is a person in the world that looks exactly like me, and what would it take to find out?
Just type it into the Matrix. Probably take about 2-3 seconds, maybe longer if you have an ad-blocker on.
I forgot how much shopping at brick and mortars sucks this time of year
You probably won't have to worry about it at all in about five years. Technically, you don't have to worry about it now, since the delivery and pick-up options are being staged to be the main options.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Anyone else find it a bit odd Static X replaced Wayne not only with a guy who sounds a lot like him but also has the same hair?

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Got my first eight-hour night of sleep in about a month, and that's great. But now my head feels fucking caved in from going so long without coffee. I'm usually up by 10pm-12am and getting my kick. Ooh...

Top Bottom