• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank your Nintendo consoles and handhelds

olimpia84

Console:

1. SNES
2. Nintendo 64
3. Wii
4. Gamecube
5. NES

Handheld:

1. 3DS
2. DS
3. GBA
4. Gameboy/GBC
5. Virtual Boy

mr_toa

(1) GBA - this handheld will for ever be the gaming machine to rein supreme for me - best dedicated console/handheld I ever purchased.

gba3.jpg

(2) GBC - changed how I viewed gaming coming from a pure PC background before

(3) DS - home to one of the best libraries on any platform, maybe the best?

(4) Wii - SM Galaxy 1 and 2, pure genius

mollipen

Love: DS, NES
Like: 3DS, GBA, GameBoy
Non-committal: SNES, GameCube
Dislike: Wii
Die in a fire: N64

Taking into account both my feelings on the systems and their libraries, and how many games I ended up owning for them in their lifetimes.

Tain

Going strictly by original games (no ports/VC), I'd probably go:

FC/FDS and SFC as the best.

Gamecube and Wii hovering somewhere around each other.

GBA in that same area but slightly beating out DS.

N64 sitting around the bottom, maybe with the Gameboy.

brumx said:
arcade 90's>NES>N64>SNES>GBAsp>GC>DS

What did Nintendo even do in the arcades in the 90's? I can't think of anything.

unless you meant 80's, that makes way more sense.

Raide

N64>All.

So many fond memories of the N64. Some of those memories I just did not get from playing GC or the Wii.

Also, had the original Gameboy but never had a DS.

Console
1. Wii (w/Virtual Console)
2. Super NES
3. NES
4. Wii (native games only)
5. Nintendo 64
6. Gamecube

Handheld
1. Nintendo DS / i
2. Game Boy Advance
3. Game Boy / Color
4. Nintendo 3DS

Other
1. Virtual Boy
2. Pokémon Mini

Ranger X

hmm, consoles are nothing without their software lineup and how well it does age. So here goes my fav in order:

1- Wii
2- SNES
3- NES
4- N64
5- Gamecube

Handhelds:

1- DS
2- GBA
3- Gameboy

Tookay

Assuming we're not counting backwards compatibility or VC...

Consoles: SNES > N64 > Wii > GCN > NES

16-bit era pretty much destroys everything. So many classic games. N64's library in total is much smaller, but the best still hold up. Nintendo's efforts on Wii were quality, it's just a shame about third parties.

Handheld: GBA > 3DS > DS > GB

Once again, 16-bit style gaming wins. 3DS is shaping up to be (if not already) a great system. And I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but I never thought much of the DS.

giggas

Tough to make a list here buuuut

1. NES - This is hard, I go back and forth between the SNES and NES for this. Years ago I'd say SNES no question, but I still regularly buy NES games and just love them.

2. SNES - Just so much great stuff on here that I'd still play today.

3. Wii - Nintendo as a first party at their best and most creative since the dawn of them making video games. Stuff like Mario Galaxy and the Zelda's aren't very innovative, but they're easily the most refined versions of those games. Oh, and even though the VC has sucked recently, there is just so much amazing stuff on there.

4. Gamecube - Loved the Cube, my favorite console out from that generation of gaming.

5. Nintendo 64 - I loved the N64 as it was happening, sure, but it's the hardest Nintendo system to go back to. Lots of stuff has aged so poorly. A very few games like the Zeldas, Wave Race, Mario 64, Mischief Makers have managed to age gracefully. I was in love with Rare's stuff in those days, but outside of Blast Corps I can't ever see myself going back to any of their games on there. Maybe KI Gold.

Handhelds

1. DS - Just a fantastic system in every single way.

2. Gameboy - I have so much love for the original Gameboy (and I guess GBC if we're counting it here, though to lesser extent). So many good games, that while a bit janky today still manage to be pretty dang fun.

3. Gameboy Advance - I started to love the GBA a bit more when I got a Micro a few years ago, but outside of the Castlevania games there wasn't much I loved on it. Nintendo themselves just did way too many ports, especially all of the Mario output on there. A great system, but I liked the other mores.

4. Virtual Boy - This thing really is a piece of junk and Nintendo's worst console. I didn't play Wario on there, which I'm sure is good, but the five other games I own I couldn't handle for more than 10 minutes each. It's pretty sweet looking though and I love having it in my collection.

edit: Kinda forgot about the 3DS, which I also love, but maybe still a bit early to factor it into this list.

1. SNES
2. NES
3. DS
4. GBA
5. GB
6. N64
7. GCN
8. VB

Granted, there are a ton of awesome games on most systems (Virtual Boy being the odd-man-out), but since I played the earlier stuff during my developmental years they rank much higher for me.

VegaNine

1. Nintendo 64 - It had the fewest, but finest games. (Favorites: Mario 64, Ocarina, Goldeneye)
  2. Super NES - The first console I cared for. To me, it brought an arcade-level authority to games only possible at home. (Zelda, DKC, Skyblazer, TMNT IV)
  3. GameCube - A shining star throughout its life, but it went supernova in 2005 after RE4, DK Jungle Beat, and the blackballed Star Fox. Also, it's the best lunchbox I ever bought.
  4. Virtual Boy - What's in a reputation? (Panic Bomber, Wario Land, Vertical Force)
  5. Wii - Almost every major game has let me down somewhat, but the hidden gems and the Virtual Console have kept my little Wii a warm one.
    *giggles*
    (Tatsunoko, Karous, Go Vacation!)
  6. Game Boy / Color - Only a few classics were able defy the Game Boy's miserable hardware—but those classics were true classics. (Link's Awakening, Metal Gear Solid)
  7. Game Boy Advance - I guess it was maybe pretty OK, I suppose. It never lit my ass on fire. (Castlevanias, Zeldas, Metroids)
  8. NES - The NES had plenty of games, but I had a better time hunting them down at yard sales than I ever did playing them. (Little Nemo, TMNT II, Rygar)
  9. 3DS - It's too young to share a beer with, but the 3DS already deserves one for topping its predecessor. (Ports, Remakes, Virtual Console)
  10. 64DD - The few games it had were fun, and it made a great conversation piece, but WOW—what a fucking waste of money and plastic. Does it count as a system, though? (Doshin, Mario Artist)
  11. DS - The games I wanted, they never made, and the games they made, I didn't enjoy. Even Castlevania wore a bit thin. (Hotel Dusk, Viewtiful Joe, Castelvanias)

Shaffield

home consoles:
Gamecube
N64
SNES
Wii

handhelds:
DS
GBA
GBC
3DS (too young)

overall:
DS
Gamecube
GBA
N64
SNES
Wii
GBC
3DS

man, I love every single one of these machines

Mudron

Objective ranking on the quality/quantity of each console/handheld's library?

1. SNES
2. DS
3. NES
4. GBA
5. GC

My personal favorite Nintendo hardware/library combo?

1. NES
2. N64
3. DSi XL
4. SNES (forgive me, I was in high school when the SNES came out and have barely played many of the system's best games to completion)
5. GC

Arkam

1. N64 <- Some of the best games ever made.
2. SNES
3. DS
4. GCN
5. NES
6. Wii
7. 3DS
8. GBA
9. GB/GBC

IrishNinja

i kinda feel like people using BC as a big factor is a cop-out when speaking just on a system & its library. sure. the wii's a default most times cause you can play all consoles prior through VC (mostly anyway) but when someone ranks the Wii, i like seeing where it stands for its own merits/library.

Tetris, Donkey Kong and Zelda: LA are better games than anything on the NES bar Super Mario Bros.
This doesn't really disprove your point, but the highs are certainly higher.

Super Mario World overshadows Mario 3 to such a degree that I often forget it exists, such as in this example. My bad. It is of course the best NES game.

Jo doubles down on his controversial statements with crossover controversy, goddamn

By and large, my favourite games are Nintendo ones.

Yeah, I played a bunch of stuff on SNES.

these 2 statements together do not make sense in my head! nintendo made some of its finest 2D content ever on the SNES, this is usually why i think it wins out for people. strange.

I grew up with the SNES (and GB). Well, 'grew-up' is probably generous. To be totally hones,t I grew up with Game & Watch :p (never had a NES though).

grew up with game & watch? that's a first for me, heh.
props on the DC love though!

Love: DS, NES
Like: 3DS, GBA, GameBoy
Non-committal: SNES, GameCube
Dislike: Wii
Die in a fire: N64

Shidoshi posts like this are great, there's so much i don't necessarily agree with, but they're crazy interesting.

relaxor

what?
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii

I suppose it goes right in release order then : ( I do still count myself as a Nintendo fan but have been disappointed more and more

Anth0ny

DS is really overrated. No system with such shitty Mario and Zelda games deserve the kind of praise it gets!

The only games I'd consider great on DS are Mario Kart, Pokemon Black/White, Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Tetris DS I guess. I don't count Chrono Trigger DS, but that would be there too. I'm not a big RPG fan btw, so that factors into my list.

1. N64
2. SNES
3. GC
4. GB/GBC
5. NES
6. Wii
7. DS
8. GBA
9. 3DS (give it time, it has a ton of potential)

I'm not taking backwards compatibility into consideration. I'm only thinking of the systems library.

Console

1. SNES
2. NES
3. Wii
4. GameCube
5. N64

Handheld

1. DS
2. Game Boy Color
3. Game Boy Advance
4. Game Boy
5. 3DS

3DS is still so young so it's not very fair to have it listed like that but I didn't want to ignore it.

Really surprised to see so many N64's at the top as that system marked the beginning of a downward spiral for the company. I'm guess the age of the person making the lists will directy affect the order.

home consoles:

1) Nintendo Wii (i liked the motion controls revolution, i liked the "super gamecube games" and i liked the third party's offerings from niche japanese developers such as fragile, NMH, Muramasa, etc)
2) N64 (my first console, absolutely great first party games)
3) Gamecube (weakest first party games... mario sunshine, wind waker and double dash are easily the worst games in their series, some good third party games such as resident evil and f-zero but non a lot of them)

handhelds:

1) 3DS (after the horrible launch it got a nice flow of games, both first and third party)
2) DS (tons of really good games, and lots of them were original experiences)
3) GBC (POKEMON!)
4) GBA (good console overall, but it felt more like a portable SNES than a new handheld and only few games brought to table some originality)

GlamFM

Banned
SNES SMW/F-ZERO/FF3/SUPER METROID/MARIO KART just to name a few
NES SMB3/ZELDA/METROID
N64 WAVERACE/1080
GC RE4
Wii No

Duxxy3

DS (specifically ds lite)
SNES

NES

Gameboy
GBASP

Gamecube

N64 (that i basically bought for SM64 and then sold)

Wii

rpmurphy

1. FC/NES - It had many great original games and arcade ports.
2. SNES - A lot of games from the previous generation refined.
3. Wii - A little rebirth for console games. The remote is the coolest controller since the FC/NES gamepad, and the Virtual Console was a great platform.
4. GC - solid system, but its weakness was the small library of games.

Never owned an N64, but it would probably fall somewhere between #3-5 for me.

1. DS - Best handheld library by far. Lots of classic games, sequels, and original games alike. Personal favorite hardware version is the DSi.
2. GameBoy - Still a great system to hold and play.
3. GBA - Some good first-party games, but it didn't have as memorable of a library overall for me.
4. 3DS - I expect this to easily rise at least above GBA once more games arrive.

If all together, it would be:
1. FC/NES
2. DS
3. SNES
4. Wii
5. GameBoy
6. GC
7. GBA
8. 3DS

Consoles:
SNES: Nintendo had the best first party games, the best 3rd party games, the best graphics and sound, the best controller...Nintendo was at the peak of their powers then. Just about every great NES game was refined and sometimes perfected on this machine, so I give it props above the NES.

NES: The original. It set the standards for virtually everything else that came after it...only the SNES could best it, IMHO.

Wii: To me, the only reason why it couldn't be the best of all-time was the unfortunate lack of HD in a time where HD gaming established itself as the standard - this cost them the equivalent 3rd party support their market leadership should've commanded. Nintendo's output returned to S-rank form with quite a few of their titles, and they managed to establish new types of gameplay experiences with their motion controller.

N64: The undisputed king of multiplayer in the pre-online console gaming world. The loss of 3rd party support hindered this system, as did the complicated hardware.

GameCube: It didn't do anything the best in its generation - it didn't have the undisputed best 1st party titles, it didn't have the best graphics or the best local multiplayer, it didn't have good 3rd party support, it didn't have the best controller, it didn't create any new experiences...but it still had many excellent games.

Handhelds:
DS: Probably the best game library of all time on any system...and that's discounting the fact that it can play GBA games too. Nothing compares to DS, baby.

GBA: It had many of the greatest hits from the SNES's library, had almost all the SNES' abilities in terms of visuals/sound/control, and had many games that were excellent in their own right, too. Much of Nintendo's great work from 2001 to 2005 can be found here, too.

GB/GBC: Another original, and yet another standard-setter. It was running on fumes after about 1995, up until Pokemon in 1998 - then, the GBC kept the fires stoked with color graphics (finally!), ports of many 8-bit classics, and full GB support. All credit to the OGs.

3DS: It's too early to tell if it will ever be able to match or surpass its predecessors. So far, it's only special for its 3D graphics. Hopefully, the titles will start to come out with the same quality as the DS family it is compatible with!

Javier

1.- SNES
2.- DS
3.- NES
4.- 3DS
5.- Wii
6.- GC
7.- GBA
8.- N64

Never owned a GB or a GBC, although I'm catching up thanks to 3DS VC.

SNES is the System of the Forever and will never be beaten.

DS was a monster in regards to library, and NES isn't far behind.

I can see the 3DS having a bright future with more and more awesome games showing up, it's building up and has tons of potential.

Wii has some of Nintendo's best 1st party titles, some so amazing I can overlook the lack of 3rd party stuff.

GC and GBA are pretty much equal to me, but I favor GC since I've played it more. (And Smash Bros.)

N64 was okay, but it has the smallest library and only a small portion of that is worth getting. Too many Sports and Wrestling clones.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
1. NES- The classic system that brought home console gaming back from the dead. Has a huge library of awesome 8-bit games that I continue to go back and play to this day.

2. GBA/SP/Micro- Overtook the original Gameboy library and had a bunch of games that I loved playing. The best portables Nintendo made were the SP and Micro.

3. SNES- Also had lots of awesome game that I loved as a kid/teenager, but later on I got a Genesis and found that to be the better system overall.

4. GB/Pocket/Light- For several years as a kid, you wouldn't find me going anywhere without my Gameboy pouch holstered to my belt, lol. So many awesome portable games.

5. Game Cube- N64 was a huge disappointment, but I enjoyed the Game Cube a lot. Was not big into the Nintendo titles, but there were third party games like Monkey Ball, PN03, REmake, F-Zero GX (made by Sega), and Soul Calibur II that kept me playing it.

6. DS/Lite/DSi- Did not like this system as much as the GBA. For me it's the Ace Attorney games, the Castlevania games, and a few puzzle games that stand out. The PSP was my portable of choice.

7. 3DS- Took some months to get going and has a decent library with a few stand-out titles, however just holding the system is uncomfortable and as a result I don't play it too much.

8. Wii- I'm not a fan of waggle, but this system still had some good/great games released for it. The online system was atrocious and it mostly sat collecting dust while I played the 360 and PS3.

9. Gameboy Color- Good hardware, mediocre library. Brought down by GB/GBC "hybrid" games that didn't give the full color palette. This was the first Nintendo portable I didn't spend much time playing. At the time I ended up playing the Neo-Geo Pocket and Neo-Geo Pocket Color much more.

10. N64- Did not like this system. Its storage format meant that multiplatform releases suffered and lacked content, the blur was atrocious, and I just did not like the direction Nintendo started going in with their 3D releases-- Mario and Zelda 64 were just not for me. This is when I pretty much stopped caring about Nintendo and found myself playing the Playstation, Saturn, and Neo-Geo/Neo CD much more. For a long time, the only game I cared about was Goldeneye multiplayer. I never did buy this system; the only reason I own one is because I got it as a gift when Zelda 64 came out- the hype was so huge that a relative who knew nothing about video games still went out and bought the system and the game for me.

11. Virtual Boy- There's probably more games on this thing that I like compared to the N64, but the VB was a miserable failure. Awful design killed it, but I got some fun out of the system and its library when it dropped to $29.99 new back in the late-nineties.

RoadDogg

I can only rank them based on when they were new, not going back to try and play them again now.

1 - NES
2 - N64
3 - GBA
4 - Gameboy
5 - DS
6 - SNES
7 - Gamecube
8 - 3DS
9 - Wii
10 - Virtual Boy (At the time Wario Land would have put this at number 7 but 1 game isn't enough)

STG!

T-1 - SNES
T-1 - NES

I could probably flip-flop these two all day, just great systems with a TON of classics.

3 - DS

No question this portable ranks very high, it has one of the strongest libraries of games I've played in a long time (maybe since the PSOne?).

4 - GB
5 - GBA

The Game Boy was an amazing handheld, sunk many, many hours on the original brick and it's revisions (GBP/GBC). Had to give it the slight nod over the GBA, which I also thought was excellent.

6 - N64
7 - Wii
8 - GCN

Not ranked: VB (only briefly played one) and 3DS (too soon).

Demoli

1)Wii
2)SNES
3)DS lite
3.1)DSi
4)GBA
5)Gamecube
6)N64
7)NES
8)GB/GBC

It's too early to judge then 3DS, even if it's shaping to up be in the top 5.

Top Bottom