• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rape in the US military: America's dirty little secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Most people join the military from lack of opportunity or benefits that the military gives them. When I joined in 02, the military had a difficult time getting recruits and had to lower standards e.g. allowing certain felons . Now with the economy in the dumps they can raise the standards again.

What is CAIs?

Combat Areas of Interest.

For the purposes of this year’s report, combat areas of interest (CAI) include Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Egypt, Djibouti, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Kyrgyzstan. Arduous conditions in CAIs make sexual assault response and data collection very difficult. However, SARCs, SAPR VAs, and other SAPR personnel are in place in all of these areas. SAPR personnel are diligent in getting requested services and treatment to victims. The data reported below is included in the total number of Unrestricted and Restricted Reports described in previous sections.

In FY10, there were 268 reports of sexual assault in CAIs. This number reflects a 4-percent decrease in overall reporting in CAIs from FY09. The 238 Unrestricted Reports in FY10 represent an increase of 6 percent over FY09. 30 reports remain Restricted. Exhibit 23 illustrates the history of Unrestricted and Restricted Reporting in CAIs since FY07.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Most people join the military from lack of opportunity or benefits that the military gives them. When I joined in 02, the military had a difficult time getting recruits and had to lower standards e.g. allowing certain felons . Now with the economy in the dumps they can raise the standards again.

Yep. Not to mention that they're cutting our benefits. Even more cuts if you're new.

Are you an MP? If so, LOL, you're really fucked.

Renmei

Banned
Yep. Not to mention that they're cutting our benefits. Even more cuts if you're new.

Are you an MP? If so, LOL, you're really fucked.
Hell with the drawdown in Iraq and the shitty unemployment numbers the Army can be very selective about who they recruit, and is about to shed soldiers like crazy starting with the fatties, perpetually injured and the shitty problem people. Certain MOSes (jobs) are forcing people who want to reenlist to pick another MOS (like mine, Finance!) Not that I care, if I decide to stay I'm switching over to something computer or medical related anyways.

This is one reason why I decided not to join. Each branch is essentially a big boys club and things are routinely swept under the rug. It doesn't help that I know some scum of the Earth types that have joined up. Not to say that there aren't good people in the military, but I'm under the impression that it's essentially a jobs program for the uneducated, the mentally unstable, and the unskilled.

DY_nasty

This is one reason why I decided not to join. Each branch is essentially a big boys club and things are routinely swept under the rug. It doesn't help that I know some scum of the Earth types that have joined up. Not to say that there aren't good people in the military, but I'm under the impression that it's essentially a jobs program for the uneducated, the mentally unstable, and the unskilled.

I'm just speaking for myself here, obviously, but I've met more good people in my short time in the military than I did in all of college or high school. Tons of shitbags, sure, plenty... but the good people. Fucking wow. I've met some truly amazing people.

I'm just speaking for myself here, obviously, but I've met more good people in my short time in the military than I did in all of college or high school. Tons of shitbags, sure, plenty... but the good people. Fucking wow. I've met some truly amazing people.

I'm not saying they don't exist. It just seems like that certain types are attracted to the military and the disparity is incredible.

DY_nasty

I'm not saying they don't exist. It just seems like that certain types are attracted to the military and the disparity is incredible.

True. But for me, 1 good person is worth putting up with 70 assholes.

Military attracts all kinds of crazy people. I think to be a great person, you have to be a little bit crazy too. It kinda works out.

akira28

The good guy to dirtbag ratio is probably like 8:2, if that. You don't need a high instance of people willing to assault to have a high number of assaults, especially during the history of the military when there were even fewer women, compared to a majority of men.

Esiquio

Like shadowlark says, the military attracts a lot of fucked up people to begin with. It has nothing to do with the entry standards or requirements.

Unless you want to psychologically evaluate every potential servicemen before entry, I think you're going to keep getting the same people and many of the same issues. That being said, a lot has been done to counteract and educate. It has helped, the problem was just that bad. But... there are a lot of issues that aren't going to be resolved because there are some people that just don't need to be in the environment in the first place.

I hate to say the severity of this is misleading, but the fact that it is one of the biggest things on the military's social agenda, if not the biggest imo, should be said too. Its not a case of "nobody cares". Its not. Its an issue of "Shit was real, real fucked up - now its better, but still pretty fucked up. (and we probably need help because this is the biggest thing we've had to deal with sine racial shit and drugs in the 80s)"

The posts in this thread are disgusting. I can't believe the shit I'm reading from people who literally do not know what the fuck they are talking about on any level.

DY_nasty

The posts in this thread are disgusting. I can't believe the shit I'm reading from people who literally do not know what the fuck they are talking about on any level.

So fucking talk about it. If you think I'm wrong, right, misinformed or whatever - let me and everyone else know. Don't just drive by on the issue, talk about it.

There's nothing wrong with straight men at all. The problem lies with the messages sent about respecting others (especially women's) bodily autonomy. I imagine the "hypermasculine" bullshit that is inherent in the military does not help matters.

this was touched upon by a british newspaper which claimed that lad magazine use words and phrases to describe women that are in common with words and phrases rapists use.

As part of the study, researchers interviewed a number of men aged 18 to 46. They were given quotes from leading lads’ mags as well as quotes taken from interviews with rapists.

When asked which ones they agreed with more, the men pointed to the rapists’ quotes, even when they were misled and told the words had been taken from magazines.
A separate group – including women – also agreed that today’s lads’ mags were ‘derogatory and demeaning’.

Psychologists said there was ‘clearly something wrong’ with the way women were being sexualised by the media, and called for change.

Dr Peter Hegarty, from the University of Surrey, said: ‘There is concern that such magazines normalise the treatment of women as sexual objects.

‘Are young men best prepared for fulfilling love and sex when they normalise views about women that are disturbingly close to those mirrored in the language of sexual offenders?’

And Anna van Heeswijk from Object – a group that campaigns against the objectification of women – said: ‘When the content of magazines aimed at teenage boys mirrors the attitudes of convicted rapists, alarm bells must ring.’

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/884549-lads-mags-use-same-language-as-sex-offenders#ixzz1gOjFA1Eh

Phoenix

I felt the same way at first, but now... yeah, its best if the military handled most of its shit on its own.
I feel the same about most things, but the military justice system sometime needs higher standards since it operates outside the law.

Phoenix

So fucking talk about it. If you think I'm wrong, right, misinformed or whatever - let me and everyone else know. Don't just drive by on the issue, talk about it.
Why would someone have to be mentally of otherwise fucked up to join the military? That very idea is both indulging and unsupportable by fact (if you got it show it).

DarkFlow

Banned
More then that I think the American concept of "military" needs vast scaling back. If the war in Iraq convinced me of one thing its that the concept of "big military" needs to end. Maintain a decent air-force, keep our Navy strong, cut back on the Army and in general seriously cut down to a defensive force.

yeah, then who's going to defend the land and take it back? Airplanes and boats can't hold land.

DarkFlow

Banned

I agree, my 4 years in the army I meet some great people. I meet my share of dirtbags, but for the most part it was good people. I was in a Tank unit with some women mixed in with support units and nothing like this bullshit happened ever. We always had to treat them with respect or our Platoon Sgt or LT would jump down our ass.

This doesn't surprise me, really. I wonder what the rate is compared to the population at large.

There should be very, very harsh deterents for this kind of stuff in the military. It is a job that is kind to lead many people to high pressure situations, personal discipline must be paramount....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why would someone have to be mentally of otherwise fucked up to join the military? That very idea is both indulging and unsupportable by fact (if you got it show it).

I don't see anyone saying the army putting up "mental problems or fucked up personality" as their must have requirements for the candidates.

All I see is people arguing that with the kind of job the military has to do, it's not unusual to see that the army attracts people of... questionable traits, possibly more than any other job.

noah111

Still Alive
Did anyone watch the video at the link? It was fucked up. The military sure is fantastic at turning human beings into monsters.
Tis the price we pay for freedom. amiright?

Sick stuff all around though, i'm actually worried for my lady friend who's in the military after reading this..

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I grew up in a military family, and lived on a few Marine Corps bases - a large chunk of my childhood was spent on Camp Pendleton.

There are A LOT of great, great people in the military. People with insane amounts of pride in their country, discipline in their actions, and wisdom in their words and stories. No doubt about it, especially with the older officers, there is a high plateau of achievers.

But a large percentage of those enlisted are, indeed, pretty damn slimy. Getting trashed multiple times a week, ditching their kids, sleeping around overseas, domestic abuse at their home, drunk driving is rampant, lots of belligerence in public places outside of the base, and way too much aggression amongst each other in even relatively low-stress situations, ala heavy traffic, a long line at the DMV, waiting on food at a restaurant, etc.... which is definitely worrying since those situations should be cake walks compared to, you know, defending the country and fighting overseas.

DY_nasty

I feel the same about most things, but the military justice system sometime needs higher standards since it operates outside the law.
UCMJ does apply higher standards
Its kinda simple - you got people who are willingly signing up to be shot at or to kill. There are a lot of reasons for both, but either way... you've got to have at least one or two screws loose to sign up. Throw in the fact that some people join up for the wrong reasons entirely. It attracts and breeds craziness.
But a large percentage of those enlisted are, indeed, pretty damn slimy. Getting trashed multiple times a week, ditching their kids, sleeping around overseas, domestic abuse at their home, drunk driving is rampant, lots of belligerence in public places outside of the base, and way too much aggression amongst each other in even relatively low-stress situations, ala heavy traffic, a long line at the DMV, waiting on food at a restaurant, etc.... which is definitely worrying since those situations should be cake walks compared to, you know, defending the country and fighting overseas
Even daily, stateside life is more stressful then typical civilian life. Some people only have to worry about stress during finals or at the end of the FY, there is always some kind of deadline in the military. Just that alone can drive someone over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom