• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Ltd. works on Nintendo DS games

Shiggy

EXPERIENCED 3D ARTISTS (NINTENDO DS)
Good understanding of 3D packages (preferably Maya), strong modelling and texturing abilities, imagination and motivation are all required from anyone hoping to join our Develop award-nominated team in creating key DS titles.

GAMES PROGRAMMERS (NINTENDO DS)
Must be motivated, enthusiastic and skilled in C/C++ to join our dedicated handheld team, recently nominated for a Develop Industry Excellence Award. 3D skills also an advantage in creating high-profile titles for this unique system.

From their website

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Borys said:
Banjo 3 would be killer on the DS. Or Conker 2.

I doubt they would return to N64 class hardware with Conker after L&R. Banjo seems possible and would be a good fit, though...

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wyzdom said:
This thread is misleading. They probably mean they will support the GBA2 or PSP2 or something. :D
LOL, either way Rare needs to let it go and try getting their xbox/360 games out on schedule.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Nice I can't wait for a new Banjo Kazooie 5-10 years from when it will be announced

jarrod

Banned
Er, who didn't see that coming? It's not like Rare has a dedicated handheld team and Nintendo handheld support was specifically inserted into their buyout clause or anything. ;)

I bet they're doing a Killer Instinct game or port. The handheld team's been hinting at a GBA version forever... same for Battletoads actually. Perfect Dark seems like a natural DS release too. Nintendo will probably want ports of DK64 and DKR at some point as well.

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
Nintendo will probably want ports of DK64 and DKR at some point as well.

Hah. Would I be the only one in favor of an onscreen map for DK64? By God, that game was stupidly large.

Ranger X

That's not my problem. We are the customers and they have to please us. It's their job to entertain me with good stuff. I wish they can come up with new games. Ports and remake are a widespread disease nowadays.

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
I doubt they would return to N64 class hardware with Conker after L&R. Banjo seems possible and would be a good fit, though...

Banjo 3 - DS?
Conker 2 - 360?

Seems plausible enough. Question is will that Banjo game be a port or a new entry?

thorns

Banned
Rare did plenty of original titles for GBA, anyone forget?

Saber Wulf
Banjo Pilot
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
It's Mr. Pants

The only ports were the DKC titles, I think.

Quality of these are questionable but most were at least decent games. Certainly they will release more than ports for the DS.

jarrod

Banned
Wyzdom said:
That's not my problem. We are the customers and they have to please us. It's their job to entertain me with good stuff. I wish they can come up with new games. Ports and remake are a widespread disease nowadays.
Oh, I think the only direct ports we'll see will be DK games for Nintendo. Just like GBA, all Rare's other stuff will probably be new games based off existing IPs... though I could see a Killer Instinct 1+2 release maybe (based off the arcade games rather than N64).

Ranger X

jarrod said:
Oh, I think the only direct ports we'll see will be DK games for Nintendo. Just like GBA, all Rare's other stuff will probably be new games based off existing IPs... though I could see a Killer Instinct 1+2 release maybe (based off the arcade games rather than N64).

Killer Instinct 1+2 could be interesting on DS. Killer Instinct was ok on the SNES but maybe we could have decent home versions now.

heavenly

jarrod said:
Er, who didn't see that coming? It's not like Rare has a dedicated handheld team and Nintendo handheld support was specifically inserted into their buyout clause or anything. ;)

I bet they're doing a Killer Instinct game or port. The handheld team's been hinting at a GBA version forever... same for Battletoads actually. Perfect Dark seems like a natural DS release too. Nintendo will probably want ports of DK64 and DKR at some point as well.

Jarrod, can you list Rare's console and handheld sales (this generation), please? Also, I just find it weird for a 1st party to be still making games for a competitor. It just doesn't make sense. Who gets most of the profits from the handheld games. Rare (M$) or Nintendo?

jarrod

Banned
heavenly said:
Jarrod, can you list Rare's console and handheld sales (this generation), please? Also, I just find it weird for a 1st party to be still making games for a competitor. It just doesn't make sense. Who gets most of the profits from the handheld games. Rare (M$) or Nintendo?
Sorry, I don't have sales offhand. Sonycowboy might though, ask him. :)

Hoping for Blast Corps, GoldenEye (EA might have made a crappy game, but it didn't destroy the franchise. It sold okay, right?) or Perfect Dark ports/sequels. And Banjo 3 would be nice, too. :)

Do it, Rare. Do it.

bigNman

Great news, I cant wait to see what kind of graphics they can get out of it. Apart from Nintendo themselves nobody is pushing decent 3d on the system (see Rayman, Splinter Cell etc)

Perfect Dark with wi-fi is my most wanted.

So many N64 titles and/or franchises from Rare I would like to see ported or ressurected on the DS...I have my fingers crossed!

Very good news indeed. I would like to see what Rare can do graphically on the DS and hopefully there will be a good balance between ports/extensions of existing franchises and new IP. I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoyed It's Mr. Pants on the GBA and I was happy with their DKC ports. At the very least we will be able to revisit some N64 classics I would think.

Just a few questions, though. First, does the handheld team over at Rare tend to take as long to develop and release games as the console teams? Second, is THQ set to publish these games as well (I'm guessing I should wait for some official PR before asking this.)? Last, anyone think there is a chance of Rare developing some MGS IPs on the DS since MS has no handheld system itself that directly competes with the DS? I guess that would only make sense if MS was publishing but I am no expert on how the bussiness works.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I bet banjo ports...

Id love a JFG sequel or just the first game without the most annoying twist ever: "now go back and save all the furries before we let you finish the game".

I still want a sequel to Sabrewulf too, loved that game.

Still waiting to see what the Banjo team has been working on since GBTG, maybe they are developing a DS port/sequel/reinvention themselves.

Why can't Rare just hire more people to get games out "on time" for the Xbox 360?

Why do they need DS money when MS has deep enough pockets?

Let me get this right, as far as the Goldeneye argument stands:

EA has the James Bond license (exclusive), but Rare owns the code to the original GE, correct?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Smiles and Cries said:
Why can't Rare just hire more people to get games out "on time" for the Xbox 360?

Why do they need DS money when MS has deep enough pockets?

Cause they are trying to justify their purchase of rare, and microsoft is not in this for Charity?

jarrod

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
Let me get this right, as far as the Goldeneye argument stands:

EA has the James Bond license (exclusive), but Rare owns the code to the original GE, correct?
No, Nintendo owns the code to GE 64. Rare has no hold over any of it.

edit- for clairifcation, in the split Nintendo held on to game/IP rights for...

-Diddy Kong Racing
-Donkey Kong 64
-Donkey Kong Country 1-3
-Donkey Kong Land 1-3
-Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo licenese)
-Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Nintendo licenese)
-Mickey's Racing Adventure (Nintendo licenese)
-Mickey's Speedway USA (Nintendo licenese)
-Star Fox Adventures

...and Rare took the rest.

Mallrat83

Banned
jarrod said:
No, Nintendo owns the code to GE 64. Rare has no hold over any of it.
JET FORCE GEMINI PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeo

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
:lol @ the thirst for Rare games with all of the hate they get around here.

I think it's more like.. as a console game maker they have been absolute crap this generation (although I did like SFA, personally).

But their GBA games were good. It's Mr. Pants, Banjo-Pilot, Sabrewulf = fun handheld games. DKC1 and 2 = disappointing but still good ports.

I think most people think/hope we could see Rare's N64/SNES days back on DS, seeing as how DS brings back a lot of "omg I can't wait for that game" SNES/N64-days type of feeling for a lot of people.

neo2046

Starfox adventure DS !!

seriously, I know Goldeneye and KI series go to DS will be good
but personally I don't have too much interest
I want a new 2D donkey kong country

Thomper

This was to be expected. They've got a talented handheld-team waiting to develop new games, and with the GBA dead, DS is het better option. :)

Wyzdom said:
This thread is misleading. They probably mean they will support the GBA2 or PSP2 or something. :D
Yes. They're looking for DS developers, because they're making GBA2 and PSP2 games. Makes perfect sense.

Zeo

Banned
neo2046 said:
I want a new 2D donkey kong country

Thank you!

Personally, I want them to model more after DKC2 (mainly the art design, music, and difficulty), with a little bit of the extra features from DKC3. Just put 3-5 more worlds and make the graphics just as good as DKC3 or better and you got a great sequel.

As for characters/touch screen use, they could go together. You'd still only have two Kongs out at once, which would act as your "life" (lose both and you die), but you could use the touch screen to switch either of the two Kongs you're playing as in and out with Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, maybe another new Kong or two (Kiddy was just useless, a Donkey clone).

That could open up some cool new strategies for unlocking secrets (i.e. you need certain combos of the two Kongs at certain times). It'd be one of those games that doesn't need full use of the touch screen, but what is there adds to the gameplay.

.. Yeah, I've had that idea since DS was announced. Call it a dream. ):

EDIT: Oh, and some online features would be great too. Online co-op, high score board, etc.

Top Bottom