• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Ltd. works on Nintendo DS games

jarrod said:
No, Nintendo owns the code to GE 64. Rare has no hold over any of it.

edit- for clairifcation, in the split Nintendo held on to game/IP rights for...

-Diddy Kong Racing
-Donkey Kong 64
-Donkey Kong Country 1-3
-Donkey Kong Land 1-3
-Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo licenese)
-Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Nintendo licenese)
-Mickey's Racing Adventure (Nintendo licenese)
-Mickey's Speedway USA (Nintendo licenese)
-Star Fox Adventures

...and Rare took the rest.

So how was Rare ever part of the equation to have a GE port for DS? I'm sure Nintendo could polish the game up themselves, or at least get Retro to do it, and coordinate the release with EA somehow.

jarrod

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
So how was Rare ever part of the equation to have a GE port for DS? I'm sure Nintendo could polish the game up themselves, or at least get Retro to do it, and coordinate the release with EA somehow.
They're not. For a Goldeye 007 DS port only Nintendo and EA would need be involved.

I would kill for a Donkey Kong Country 4. Kill for it I tells ya!

Works fine for me. Nintendo could develop console DK games while Rare can work on the portables and continue the Country franchise. It's a win-win situation. I just hope that Nintendo doesn't deny them to make one and only allows them to port DK64. :/

CamHostage

Wyzdom said:
This thread is misleading. They probably mean they will support the GBA2 or PSP2 or something. :D

The listings are very specific about making games for the DS, calling it a unique system and saying they will do key titles for it. If they were just looking for a handheld guy, they would say handheld guy, or at least say something like "handheld systems like the Nintendo DS." There may not be a big commitment for it, and this may be MS testing the waters some more for its own handheld someday, but the ad is too specific to mean that it's not happening.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Kuroyume said:
Yeah, now it's okay to like RARE again... :lol

You guys are.......

Look, they are excited about portable versions/updates of all those awsome N64 games they made. I don't see how they could screw up porting the best games they ever made to DS if they have a competent Handheld team.

There's no still proof that he actually talked to Ken Lobb and Ken Lobb said that.

Lots of sites post a lot of garbage during E3. That's why we make stuff with a grain of salt. Hell I remember Cloudchaser/Sony Source "confirming" from a "Namco rep" at E3 2001 that Soul Calibur 2 would be PS2 exclusive, only to be proven wrong 3 months later.

Dalamar86

jarrod said:
They're not. For a Goldeye 007 DS port only Nintendo and EA would need be involved.

You would think that but then again Rare ported the DKC titles to GBA when they also had no real need to be involved as Nintendo owns the code for them as well.

Seems odd but the past may repeat itself.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
No shit.

Evidently it's alright to like Rare again if they're developing on a Nintendo system. These people are fucking ridiculous.

Well the difference is, these games have proved their quality...........their new ones, well i let you decide....but maybe you should start with the abomination that is starfox adventures....

Shaheed79 said:
You guys are.......

Look, they are excited about portable versions/updates of all those awsome N64 games they made. I don't see how they could screw up porting the best games they ever made to DS if they have a competent Handheld team.

Yeah, all those people wanting Banjo 3, DKC4, JFG2, etc don't want any new Rare games just ports and updates...

Bluemercury said:
Well the difference is, these games have proved their quality...........their new ones, well i let you decide....but maybe you should start with the abomination that is starfox adventures....

Hey, whatever makes you feel better but you know damn well that what I said is true. If they start making games on a Nintendo platform again all the bitching you people do stops.

It's all too predictable.

Syb

heavenly said:
Jarrod, can you list Rare's console and handheld sales (this generation), please? Also, I just find it weird for a 1st party to be still making games for a competitor. It just doesn't make sense. Who gets most of the profits from the handheld games. Rare (M$) or Nintendo?

Okay.

Microsoft doesnt see Nintendo as a competitor in the console market, they see Sony as their main competitor.

Releasing titles for a Nintendo handheld hurts Sony.

Wyzdom said:
Killer Instinct 1+2 could be interesting on DS. Killer Instinct was ok on the SNES but maybe we could have decent home versions now.

I'll pass, already playing Killer Instinct on my PSP

UUUULTRA COOOOOOMBO!

Syb said:
Okay.

Microsoft doesnt see Nintendo as a competitor in the console market, they see Sony as their main competitor.

Releasing titles for a Nintendo handheld hurts Sony.

Close, but not exactly. Rare is still allowed to release games on Nintendo handhelds because Microsoft doesn't have a competing handheld. (This was also before the PSP, so there was nothing else for them to work on.) Then that goes back to Sony being MS's main competitor, so it hurts Sony to have Rare games on the GBA/DS and not the PSP. If there was an Xboy or something, there would be no Rare GBA/DS games.

Mr. Blonde said:
There's no still proof that he actually talked to Ken Lobb and Ken Lobb said that.

Lots of sites post a lot of garbage during E3. That's why we make stuff with a grain of salt. Hell I remember Cloudchaser/Sony Source "confirming" from a "Namco rep" at E3 2001 that Soul Calibur 2 would be PS2 exclusive, only to be proven wrong 3 months later.
well the only way we could have "proof" is if he had an audio recording of it which didn't happen as it was just a coincidence meeting. he will prob pop in sometime this evening anyways.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I thought MS (and thus, Rare) was to support the Gizmondo... or was that only a rumor?

This is good news. The only good games Rare has outputted in the past 4 years or so have been their handheld titles, IMHO... a far cry from last gen, where their handheld offerings were mostly garbage.

Plenty of N64 games I'd kill for on the go... KI 1 & 2 (ok, that wasn't an N64 game), Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini... Mmmmm.

Hey, whatever makes you feel better but you know damn well that what I said is true. If they start making games on a Nintendo platform again all the bitching you people do stops.

It's all too predictable.

Well you're right, i give you another example, here: Silicon Knights....now that they're on the xbox side, they're good too........i did like the the games from Rare, but their latest work has been weak.....

Monk

Banned
No shit.

Evidently it's alright to like Rare again if they're developing on a Nintendo system. These people are fucking ridiculous.

I think people have been bitching about their games going downhill. And people are asking for ports instead of sequels because they know they would probably fuck it up.

As for PD0, it looks very good(in terms of gameplay), I really like the rolling. It also looks fast but not too fast. Sure the graphics don't compare to Gears of War but isn't gaming supposed to be about gameplay. It may even be possible for Rare to pull a Halo with it.

Pellham

Banned
Bluemercury said:

What are you talking about?

It's absolutely clear that Rare's DS games will suck just as much as their XBox ones.

Monk said:
And people are asking for ports instead of sequels because they know they would probably fuck it up.

Somebody missed all the posts in THIS thread asking for sequels such as Banjo 2, DKC4, and JFG2 for DS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Saw this one coming from a mile away. They'll probably port their N64 catalogue for some quick scratch, with the occasional new game announcement...

Not a bad thing, btw.

I'd love some Perfect Dark DS action with a little wifi support to get the ball rolling..

jarrod

Banned
Mr. Blonde said:
How did you acquire this information?
Simple, it was all detailed in the split. Nintendo kept rights over Rare made games using their licenses (meaning both Nintendo IPs like DK and Star Fox or contract licenses like Mickey Mouse, Ken Griffey Jr or 007) while Rare kept rights for everything else they made under Nintendo (Killer Instinct, Banjo, Conker, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, etc).

I'm excited for this btw but people railing on each other for having posted hate before... c'mon!

The board is damn near unanimous on:

Rare's long long development times
Bafmombads and other collectables in Starfox Adventures
Grabbed by the Ghoulies as an Xbox debut
Initial sightings of Wall Guy

Their prior release bio is packed with great games, the Conker remake is great (to paraphrase: if you're wondering whether they've changed anything else, they haven't), and Kameo looks fantastic.

Glad to have them on board with DS! Shame they couldn't have changed the handheld Conker has to one in time.

Ruzbeh

Banned
pringles said:
Just imagine online versions of Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct etc.
Please Rare...
They should just port over Perfect Dark N64 and make it online. It would be a safe bet for the most part since you can't screw up ports. Besides, I never played Perfect Dark, but I have played Goldeneye and I enjoyed it. Sooo. They should just port it.

Apenheul

I was told that it's a Banjo game. Whether it's a new game or not I don't know. Please don't hold me responsible :)

Ranger X

artful_dodger said:
I'll pass, already playing Killer Instinct on my PSP

UUUULTRA COOOOOOMBO!

Well of course i meant a "100% legit" version. Emulation isn't "official" in my book.
The emulation scene is getting cool on PSP, did you play Doom already?

Top Bottom