• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate The Sony State of Play June 2nd, 2022

Rate it

• A

Votes: 185 29.8%
  • B

Votes: 233 37.5%
  • C

Votes: 119 19.2%
  • D

Votes: 54 8.7%
  • F

Votes: 30 4.8%

• Total voters

Plantoid

Voted C

Almost everything was multiplat and only resident evil 4 remake was exciting, but even so, it's a remake, not a new IP or new game

Couldn't care less about street fighter and final fantasy

Neofire

Gave them a B, that FF trailer was 🔥 but they missed me with PC announcements on a Playstation state of play. The Street Fighter 6 looked really good despite me being a Tekken fan lol.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
B.

While it's not saying much, it was the best State of Play thus far. If Sony can deliver good solid State of Plays like this, I will be much more interested. REmake4 and The Callisto Protocol is day one for me.

Roxkis_ii

A for me. Street fighter 6 looks super nice, Final fantasy 16 was giving me ff tactics vibes and has me excited for a mainline FF again. I'm about to play this horizon new game plus right now.

I got something to play now, plus stuff to look forward to. I can't complain.

tenor.gif

Swift_Star

Banned
A solid D. Back in 2015, in their 1.5 year E3 show, they blew everyone away with Horizon, The last guardian and uncharted 4 along with announcement trailers for FF7 and Shenmue.

1.5 years into the PS5 era, we got a bunch of PS4 games that look like PS4 games and a couple of PS5 games that look like PS4 games. I dont even care about graphics anymore, just show me anything ambitious or innovative or different at this point. Horizon VR is literally Horizon VR. What are they bringing to this franchise thats new and exciting with this new hardware?

I dont know why FF16, a PS5 only game, looks worse than HFW. Same goes for RE4 which lets face it is a PS4 game in disguise.

But this was a third party showcase and we expected the third party to phone it in like they did early on last gen. This is why State of Playstation should contain PS first party games. This is why first party should only make next gen games because no one else does.
How can someone be so wrong in so many levels?

Helghan

C, nothing blew me away, which was to be expected. They are keeps ng their big stuff for the summer. People giving this an A will have an amazing time this summer then

BaneIsPain

Given the barren news this year, I will give it an A.
Stray, RE4, Eternight, FFXVI, Callisto Protocol, and all the VRs.
Feels good.

[Sigma]

I give it a B. Third party focused but we knew that going in. The the trailers they showed were good for the most part. One of the better State of Plays that wasn't game specific focused.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Voted C

Almost everything was multiplat and only resident evil 4 remake was exciting, but even so, it's a remake, not a new IP or new game

Couldn't care less about street fighter and final fantasy

The SF6 adventure mode looks so fucking stupid ...... and I can't wait to play it :D

Bombolone

Gold Member
Gave it a B. Pleasantly surprised. Dont have a Ps5 and dont plan on getting one anytime soon.
Everything is shooty shooty.
Roller Blading! AWESOME!... shooty shooty.
Always cool to see whats coming up regardless.
Would of liked it to be a bit longer, but thats just being spoiled.

Barakov

It's a B from me. It's pretty good overall but announcement of a PC port and the PCVR stuff dragged it down for me. Still it's one of their better showings with this format.

yurinka

B for me. I think it's A for what the event was supposed to be, 3rd parties and PSVR2 content. But as event it would have been an A event for me if it would have been a bit longer to feature a GoWR and Spider-Man 2 release dates and the TLOU factions and TLOU remake (I assume that bundled with TLOU2 PS5) announcements.

Very good, excluding Saints & Sinners 2 (also coming to PSVR1 & Oculus) and Eternights the rest of stuff has been top tier stuff to be released until aprox a year from now, which combined with what we already know makes me look forward.

It's also nice to see that the remaining 2nd PC port Sony will release this fiscal year is Miles Morales+Spider-Man Remasterd with a release date of around 2 years after the original. This means after these games and Uncharted 4+ULL there won't be more PS Studios games to be released until at least April 2023. Not even the TLOU Remake or Factions games will be released on PC this fiscal year.

Last edited:
B.

Think it's silly to give a PlayStation State of Play an A if it is mostly just multiplatform third party stuff. A bit more first party, like ending with some God of War news might have bumped it up. But it was solid, nicely paced, and had a bit of something for everyone.

We got FFXVI (which everyone was laughing about), Street Fighter 6, RE4 Remake, Stray release date + PS Plus day one announcement, Spider-Man Remaster on PC announcement, Horizon Forbidden West update trailer, which apparently is game changer (with a 40fps mode to be released), plenty of VR2 content as well.

All this with no bullshit or people showing up for no reason, going from one trailer to the next and all in 30 minutes.

It's an A.

I also think that we're for sure getting another Sony show this year for their studios. Considering they announced Spider-Man for August in there, i'd bet we're getting their big show in September.

We're getting Ragnarok release date later this month probably for another State of Play. Where does this leaves TLOU Remake i don't know. I really don't think Sony is just releasing Ragnarok this year...but announcing it in September would be...weird.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
We got FFXVI (which everyone was laughing about), Street Fighter 6, RE4 Remake, Stray release date + PS Plus day one announcement, Spider-Man Remaster on PC announcement, Horizon Forbidden West update trailer, which apparently is game changer (with a 40fps mode to be released), plenty of VR2 content as well.

All this with no bullshit or people showing up for no reason, going from one trailer to the next and all in 30 minutes.

It's an A.

I also think that we're for sure getting another Sony show this year for their studios. Considering they announced Spider-Man for August in there, i'd bet we're getting their big show in September.

We're getting Ragnarok release date later this month probably for another State of Play. Where does this leaves TLOU Remake i don't know. I really don't think Sony is just releasing Ragnarok this year...but announcing it in September would be...weird.
I can understand how FFXVI was laughed at, honestly, its first showing was not that great...This trailer looked way better and ,it probably helped too, the gameplay segments shown were more impressive.

I can understand how FFXVI was laughed at, honestly, its first showing was not that great...This trailer looked way better and ,it probably helped too, the gameplay segments shown were more impressive.
People didn't laugh at the 2020 trailer...but at the possibility of Sony showing up its re-reveal at a simple State of Play. And they did just that.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
People didn't laugh at the 2020 trailer...but at the possibility of Sony showing up its re-reveal at a simple State of Play. And they did just that.
Oh I misunderstood then, I have to admit I haven't followed this game closely but I probably will now.I felt that the reception for this FF at the reveal was lukewarm though.

Really good show. Solid B, almost an A, needed one more big reveal, like what's coming out this fall? Lots of great stuff was shown. Excited for psvr games and surprised about spider-man on PC. Good stuff all around.

AndrewRyan

Gave it an A.

Saints and Sinners 2 looked fun, like the face paced parts. Loved RE6 in vr so looking forward to Village VR. Like the idea of Horizon VR, need to see some more gameplay. What a cool idea for Stray, stealthing and parkouring around as a cat. Looking forward to playing it for free soon. Would be cool to play an RPG dog game trying to make it to alpha dog status. Never heard of Rollerdrome but looks fun. Poor ubishit, wasn't their rollerderby game delayed? What are the odds two roller skating games releasing out of nowhere.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Gave it an A.

Saints and Sinners 2 looked fun, like the face paced parts. Loved RE6 in vr so looking forward to Village VR. Like the idea of Horizon VR, need to see some more gameplay. What a cool idea for Stray, stealthing and parkouring around as a cat. Looking forward to playing it for free soon. Would be cool to play an RPG dog game trying to make it to alpha dog status. Never heard of Rollerdrome but looks fun. Poor ubishit, wasn't their rollerderby game delayed? What are the odds two roller skating games releasing out of nowhere.
Have you heard about a game called Tokyo Jungle?You can become the alpha of a lot of races/animals.

FF16 was there, so a solid 3 for me. The VR game videos made me dizzy, and I know they had slowed down the movements on purposed already for the show.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
FF16 was there, so a solid 3 for me. The VR game videos made me dizzy, and I know they had slowed down the moments on purposed already for the show.
Yeah they slowed it down but it still had that wobly head movement that you see when looking at VR footage but not when you play.
Edit: I forgot ,it can make you a bit nauseous looking at it not wearing the headset.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
  • RE 4 - 7/10
  • Village VR - 3/10
  • Retribution 3/10
  • Horizon VR 6/10
  • Stray 5/10
  • Callisto Protocol 7/10
  • Rollerdrome 2/10
  • Eternights 2/10
  • Street Fighter 6 8/10
  • Tunic 6/10
  • Season 3/10
  • Final Fantasy XVI 9/10
Overall score: 6/10 - very light B almost C.

I wasn’t expecting a great deal from PSVR2 but feel let down still.

Spider-man coming to PC is a dub.
Thrilling list. Beside myself.

Leonidas

Rated B, additional PC support is good.

Might have given them an A if they announced official PSVR2 support on PC.

Looked great back then and looked great now. Who was laughing at FFXVI?

Airbus Jr

Banned
So from today news i learnt that another 4 first party ps5 game are heading to PC and a remake of game i already played decades ago ( resident evil 4)

Great job Jimbo:messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop:

Heres an F for you

Back Off Finger GIF

Last edited:
A-

This was the best State of Play we've seen up until this point. Strong opening with RE4, SF6 reveal, Callisto Protocol looking ill af, fantastic closer with FFXVI, I'm very satisfied and I wasn't expecting to be.

People keep mentioning God of War so I guess their reading comprehension is non-existent. Sony said *prior* to the SoP it would focus on *THIRD-PARTY GAMES AND VR*, GoW is 1st party, this really isn't hard to understand, it will get it's own SoP. đź‘Ś

EDIT: case in point ⬇️⬇️⬇️ 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Durien

I gave it a C. Would have been higher if they would have showed me something I could play this year. I was hoping for God of War or Dragons Dogma 2. While Street Fighter is not my type of game, it was interesting to see the approach they are taking to the next one.

DonF

C.
My reaction when it ended was an inmediate ´is that it?!´

There has to be another state of play this month or else...ooof

Jaybe

B. Stray was the highlight to me in that it is confirmed coming out in 2 months and will the day 1 on their subscription service. Calicos thing looked very interesting and again, a 2022 title. FF16 was fine, felt a bit like a dud with the summer 2023 date. Hope they do something GOWR related and put out a 2022 date in June. I suspect they will follow Xbox’s show a week or two after with it just to take the conversation back.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
B I guess. RE4 trailer wasn't amazing. Game will be sick Im sure. FfXVI showcased well. Street Fighter was the big surprise. The single player segments look fresh and new. Stray did not show off anything interesting. Rollerdome looks exactly like Sable with better gameplay. Showcase wasn't bad. PSVR Horizon looks like Climb 2 + bow game with better graphics. Calisto protocol seems like a potential genuine successor to dead space. Had one of the better showcases.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I guess I'll try the crazy little cat game on PS4. Will be interesting to see how they handle RE 4, since the control scheme and the game mechanics in that one were already on the modern side.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess I'll try the crazy little cat game on PS4. Will be interesting to see how they handle RE 4, since the control scheme and the game mechanics in that one were already on the modern side.
They'll allow modern strafing and make the story more serious and horror.

Otre

Banned
It was an B+. A combo of incredible trailers with Spiderman PC by Nixxes, Stray, RE4, SF6 and FFXVI made up for the other stuff. Could have been an S with first party but thats coming on a later date.

Best State yet. Made me excited for the future.

Last edited:
Format A, content C.

Quit fighting games realizing I will never be good at them long ago, nothing will draw me back. Final Fantasy and Stray I look forward to, but are games we already knew were coming soon. RE4, played it on everything already including my microwave, since it was the first modern style RE don't particularly care for a remake.

Rollerdrome looks unusual but it's probably multiplayer so too bad. Spiderman is old news unless you don't have a PS4/5 for the past several years. VR, not in my budget to buy one and is already dead outside of Sony pushing it.

These days everything feels like a long, looong waiting game more than getting games to play.

Top Bottom