• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | January 31, 2024 [OT]

BoxFresh123

Sony is dead
uDDlUbB.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
With all these new games and the other stuff, they are loaded for bare considering all their other studios working on games.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
With so much DS2 footage I was convinced the game would come out this year. I mean, how much more footage can they show in 12-18 months until the game comes out in 2025 before the entire game has been spoiled?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
God that was fucking awful, that Jap chick game was pure cringe and embarrassing and Death Stranding 2 made as bout as much sense as the 1st one, every game in between bar Metro VR looked like PS4 rubbish

Dazraell

Alright, the showcase was okay. Nothing really wowed me and most of things aren't my cup of tea, but I'm interested in checking out Rise of the Ronin. Not really day one though as it looks rough around the edges

I might check out that free to play Silent Hill game, but don't really know what exactly it is beyond what they shown

Stellar Blade might be interesting, but also not a day one. Death Stranding 2 is exactly as bizarre as I was thinking it will be lol. Kojima's announcement about new espionage game is exciting though

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Death stranding 2 looks amazing. Genuinely makes me feel uneasy. That entire world he has created with the team is just, I dunno...it makes me feel off and unclean. Definitely working at creating some kind of emotional response.

I do not understand why sony have made rise of ronon when they have ghost of tsushima as their ip, but I'll keep my eye on it. That sekiro sound clanging is sweet.

Rest of the show was really weak to me. I'd give it a C- for the first show of 2024.

Puscifer

Genuinely not trolling.

Is there much gameplay in Death Stranding? Do you actually do anything, or is it more of an ‘experience’?
I've shit on every walking simulator and it's not hard to see where I stand on things like this. But what it does differently is that it's "walking" doesn't stop you from playing. What do I mean by that? I won't spoil the story moment: but I took a wrong turn in the game and ended up hiking uphill through a random snow storm only to come out on the other end not having anywhere to go. So I whipped out the stakes, started a descent down the mountainside to my objective and using what perches found I was able platform down and over the course of a few minutes I fully descended and reached my objective in a totally unorthodox, non-linear fashion and most importantly, the game didn't tell me "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" It gave me the tools I needed and let me accomplish my goal how I wanted.

Last edited:

LoveCake

Pretty poor imo, other than Metro VR everything else looked like it could be for PS4.
Rise of Ronin is a pass for me now, looks worse than Ghost of Tsushima which I thought was excellent.

SCB3

Hmm there wasn’t really much aside from DS2 blowing me away or making me wanna wish list asap, I’ll check out that Silent Hill thing though

Fuck it. It'll be one of the best SoP. Bookmark me.
See ya after the show

Well i was right.

Helldivers 2 looking great, Stellar Blade with a release date for April this year (wtf) and looking amazing, Silent Hill with 2 games on the show, one ready to play today, Silent Hill 2 looking rough...but there's no release date so who knows, Foamstars on PS Plus, Judas looking great, a new Metro game announced, this one for PS VR2 and looking great, Dragon's Dogma 2 looks insane, Rise of the Ronin looks great and the trailer hyped me, Death Stranding looks probably the best any game i've ever seen, Kojima announced a new IP and Until Dawn for PS5 and PC confirmed.

I really can't think of a State of Play that surpasses this one...

Hell this was a LOT better than the last supposed Showcase. I actually feel like the lines between Showcase and State of Play are more blurred than ever.

Bry0

I’m starting to think gaf has Sony Stockholm syndrome 😂. Metro vr looks cool and the ds2 trailer was great but honestly I found actually playing ds1 to be pretty boring. Dd2 and rise of the ronin look cool but nothing we didn’t know about.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Pretty good showing overall

Games games games

Gameplay gameplay gameplay

Ogbert

It's been out for long enough, it's been cheap, it's been "free" on all subscription services known to man. Why not just give it a go?
I struggle with Kojima games to get past the first few hours of exposition.

But that trailer looked amazing and had guns. I wondered if later game actually introduced more traditional gameplay mechanics.

Nonehxc

I've never play death standing or had the inclination to try it (it was free for psn users) but strike me down if thats not going to be the best looking game this gen.

law and order crazy shit GIF

It's the wildest fucking ride, really top notch sci-fi. 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻🤨

In terms of gameplay, it may seem to start slow if you get carried away doing deliveries, because you don't have anything to help you and it shows. Director's Cut streamlined some shit for the better but still, just do whatever you need to do to get through main missions and a bit more to be more cozy until you get to the first big boss, then you start getting the really good toys and everything just crushes from there on.

I didn't do any of that and just tried to deliver everything available at a given time and had a sweet time, it was very zen to go around just delivering shit to really cheerful and thankful peeps, got very relaxed during a rough time in my life. 😄

Then would run out of secondary shit to do or I was so underpowered I just advanced the story, rinse and repeat.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well i was right.

Helldivers 2 looking great, Stellar Blade with a release date for April this year (wtf) and looking amazing, Silent Hill with 2 games on the show, one ready to play today, Silent Hill 2 looking rough...but there's no release date so who knows, Foamstars on PS Plus, Judas looking great, a new Metro game announced, this one for PS VR2 and looking great, Dragon's Dogma 2 looks insane, Rise of the Ronin looks great and the trailer hyped me, Death Stranding looks probably the best any game i've ever seen, Kojima announced a new IP and Until Dawn for PS5 and PC confirmed.

I really can't think of a State of Play that surpasses this one...

Hell this was a LOT better than the last supposed Showcase. I actually feel like the lines between Showcase and State of Play are more blurred than ever.

V Rising looked very good too. It's in Early Access on PC but full 1.0 release is expected in Q2 2024.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What game are they talking about? Did I miss something?

Kojima-san announced that after he's done with DS2 they're going to start working on a new totally-not-Metal-Gear game.

Last edited:
Probably the best SoP ever. Hell it was better than their showcase last year. The ending was weird though. Don't get why games are announced that far out. I mean we got at least 12 months before DS2, than Kojima has the Xbox game and than his new IP. Were talking about playing this game a couple years into PS6 ffs.

Dave the diver port is nice, I think stellar blade looks pretty interesting too. Will wait for reviews on that one though. Rise of the Ronin is tough. I think it looks fine, but I just felt like watching the trailer, it was a worse GoT.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty much every title shown had interest for me, so that was an A.

The only downside for me is Dogma 2 and Rise Of The Ronin arrive on the same day, and Death Stranding 2 isn't until next year... because it looked legit ridiculously good. Which is saying something considering how impressive the Stellar Blade trailer was earlier in the show.

Very strong showing imho.

GHG

I struggle with Kojima games to get past the first few hours of exposition.

But that trailer looked amazing and had guns. I wondered if later game actually introduced more traditional gameplay mechanics.

There are traditional gameplay mechanics in the first couple of hours.

If you don't like his games then don't play it, but the game throws so many tools and possibilities at you as you progress that it becomes somewhat of an emergent sandbox once you start unlocking stuff.

Last edited:
Took a shit after silent hill segment. Came back to watch the rest:
*Dragons Dogma 2 is a must buy.
*Judas looks absolute killer and im due a Bioshock Infinite replay.
* Skipping Until Dawn.
* Death Stranding Into The Beach in 2025 is a dagger to the heart. So so hoping for 2024. Sony FP is in shambles after all if they have nothing else this year.
* Rise of Ronin looks Sekiro as fuck but story needs to deliver. Will wait on review.

Its a fine sop, but ms gets the edge for this year.

PaintTinJr

There was certainly enough in the show for me to be looking forward to gaming after Rebirth - which is getting its own segment on Feb 6th IIRC.
I'm not into horror, foamstars isn't looking like it will give a Splatoon fix and I don't own PSVR2 so would have liked a Remake of ModNation Racers or Bomberman Kart, and a 3D dot Game Heroes remake/remaster to offer more diversity of genres. but DS2 is sizing up nicely and any of those other SP games will do nicely for a quality SP fix this year, so probably would give the show a B.

Last edited:

Markio128

For me, that was a great show! We are feasting between Feb and April. Stellar Blade looks superb and I’m legit shocked that it releases in April - 2 days after my birthday no less. I’m going to ask for an ass birthday cake.

Metro looks awesome for a VR game, so I’m looking forward to that one. I also thought the VR dungeon game looked pretty good.

Rise of the Ronin does appear a bit underwhelming graphically, but it looks like it plays well, so I’ll wait and see with that one.

Judas looks awesome. I want to play Dave the Diver. Dragons Dogma 2 looked much better in this footage, so I’m pretty hyped for that one now.

Then to end on the pure madness and visual splendour of DS2 was the icing on the cake. I haven’t got a clue what to expect with that new Kojima IP - film and game? Fuck knows.

If I didn’t have PSVR2 that would be a solid 8/10 show, but I’m going with a 9/10 thanks to Metro VR.

Top Bottom