• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 vs Hogwarts Legacy - NPCs Eating

GHvg8sc.png
Flawness victory! Yet somehow gets a 97 on metacritic 🤮🤮

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Red dead was great whe. I cheated to have infinite gold…. Looting sucks shit in that game.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Never understood the hate for mission design and movement in RDR2 when it accomplishes exactly the cowboy sim it set out to be. But then I stopped caring about the flood of tears about having to sit through animations. Game is and will forever be my GOTY.
The mission design really is questionable at times, though. The game flat out doesn’t allow you to do anything unless it’s exactly the way Rockstar wants you to do it, which is usually at odds with the freedom you get when playing it outside of missions. Most of them are fine, but some are just downright bizarre.

That being said, I miss Red Dead Online. Can’t believe Rockstar gave up on it. So many fun moments with my best friend, I miss playing cowboy jousting and joyriding on stolen St. Denis carts.

sertopico

Guys you also forget rdr2 has been devloped for 9 yrs or smth with a budget few companies can afford, hogwarts legacy how long, 3-4 yrs or something?

Might be subjective as someone says, but this harry potter game is much more fun than r*'s magnum opus, so in the end, who gives a shit about some peeps eating.

penguininthesun

Neo Member
Never played Read Dead Redemption, but that is very impressive. I've noticed this kind of weird NPC behavior even in higher budget games like Miles Morales and TLOUII, so I'd cut the developers some slack. At least for me, I don't feel like it breaks the immersion that much.

Filben

Never noticed that detail in RDR2.

Overly intricate controls is what's holding me off playing it a second time, anyways, even though my first play through was on PS4 with trash image quality. Now on PC with a 3080 and everything on high/ultra and DLSS it looks almost like a remaster and is way more performant.

Still, I can't play it for longer periods anymore. I don't know why they didn't simply took controls and precision from Max Payne 3 and made it just a little slower and slightly more weighty, or at least GTA level of responsiveness.

Also missions failing for the most ridiculous things if you don't stay 100% to the script even if the mission outcome would actually support your actions that lead to failure.

I loved the game when I first played and beat it, but it's just a experience for the first time.

Like the 50 million people who bought RDR2? Someone better go tell Rockstar the game is DoA.
Could‘ve been many more if it were as good as GTA. There‘s a reason why they gave up RDR online but still support GTA online or why they‘re not thinking about a RDR1 remake.

DaGwaphics

to be fair i went there and observed a bit, at least one guy managed to pick some morcels and eat them

The situational awareness of the NPCs is top notch there. Although, I guess in a world of wizards getting set on fire in the middle of your meal would be the norm. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
nothing compares to rdr 2. Software masterpiece and most detailed game ever crafted. There are details you dont even know about because no one would expect them. Also best Story in a game ever. Writing,acting, audio, graphics all unmatched at this scope. Nothing will ever come close. No one can afford it and Rockstar lost their big brains behind the company a few years ago. Sadly.

The open world is so organic. Damn

Hogwarts is a masterpiece of nowadays times. But rdr 2 is just nr.1 from every perspective of game developement. Tell me just 1 game that comes close in open world. You cant.

Denton

RDR 2 is an amazing masterpiece, but it is kinda fucked up that on one hand you get these insane details (which are awesome) but then you get the rigidly linear mission design where even parking your horse a meter next to a marker can result in game over. Love the game, but Rockstar does need to open up their design.

RafterXL

I love when people break out the half a billion dollar costing game that was guaranteed to sell 10's of millions to shit on games that cost way less to produce and aren't guaranteed nearly the success.

Now compare mission design or controls in RDR2 to ANY budget ass open world game and laugh at how antiquated, and ridgid, RDR2 is in those aspects. RDR2 is amazing game, but it has its fair share of flaws.

The mission design really is questionable at times, though. The game flat out doesn’t allow you to do anything unless it’s exactly the way Rockstar wants you to do it, which is usually at odds with the freedom you get when playing it outside of missions. Most of them are fine, but some are just downright bizarre.

That being said, I miss Red Dead Online. Can’t believe Rockstar gave up on it. So many fun moments with my best friend, I miss playing cowboy jousting and joyriding on stolen St. Denis carts.
I get why some people don't like not having the freedom and choice to complete a mission how they want. Personally I always thought of it as another layer of challenge by having special criteria to complete the missions a certain way. It seems like at least one of the reasons they did it was due to how they wanted the narration of the story to play out during it as well. Hopefully they can find a middle ground that better pleases everyone, it just never really bothered me.

I loved RDR2 in my first playthrough but damn that game has terrible replay value. I struggled to get through the beginning my second time around because I was so fucking bored. The gameplay loop in Rockstar games fucking sucks IMO.

I still think it's a top 10 game of all time but little details like this get overlooked so much that it isn't even worth comparing. I wish CD Projekt Red would have had that kind of dedication when they made Cyberpunk though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I loved RDR2 in my first playthrough but damn that game has terrible replay value. I struggled to get through the beginning my second time around because I was so fucking bored. The gameplay loop in Rockstar games fucking sucks IMO.

I still think it's a top 10 game of all time but little details like this get overlooked so much that it isn't even worth comparing. I wish CD Projekt Red would have had that kind of dedication when they made Cyberpunk though.

Your great, great grandchildren would have fucking loved that game. I kid, I kid, it just seemed like we heard about that game for an eternity before it came out as it was.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned

I just like the nature, hunting, all the secret shit. Camping. Its so great.

Rdr 2 devs hate the game. 😂 to much work for years and years 60 hours weeks. But good pay.

Top Bottom