• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft buying square enix? Probably nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdkirby

How can I get this thread closed? it’s pretty clear the rumours are from an absolute charlatan engagement farmer, who I’d rather not be given any more oxygen 🤦‍♂️😂

Let’s expand the language barrier for MS’ internal management over its studios.

Btw, complete nonsense. If MS wants to go after Japanese publishers, Capcom is the entity to pursue, IMO. But Japan has calcified its resistance to outside ownership after SNK went to bed with MBS.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXVII for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye

xxZkZ8O.jpg

Microsoft's overambitious buying streak buying was one major contributing factor of their current problems with the Xbox brand and the switch to becoming a multi platform publisher, so I don't see why they would want to buy even more studios right now, esp. in the current economic climate.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And Sega.

I wish this would happen just so people could understand that Microsoft buying all these companies isn't going to change anything.

Plus, this rumor only shows how desperate or ignorant that community is. Microsoft just spent $75 billion, and now Xbox is in shambles. Buying more companies will only further damage Xbox as a platform holder and brand

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I used to hear stuff like this all the time on the school playground in the 80s.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No it'd just result in market contraction and massive law-suits.

Xbox's precise problem is that they CANNOT attract new users to their platform. So in 10 years time I doubt they'll be able to justify exclusivity any better than they can today.

I mean honestly, what else can they do that they haven't tried to this point? What's the plan going to be?

I don't think.the lawsuits would stick, they would say we tried the multiplatform model and it didn't work so we pivoted and changed.

What would be different? At that point if they had thier own studios, (forza, Halo, gears, Avowed, minecraft, etc) Plus bethesda (Fallout, wolfenstein, elder scrolls, dishonored, prey, starfeild) Plus square (Dragon quest, final fantasy, nier, mana, etc) Plus Activision (call of duty, spryro, crash, Diablo, etc). That's just too may aaa exclusives to fail at that point, if they went all in. What different than now? Now they don't own all of the above and half of it is on other platforms.

GHound

Well I heard Sony just bought Nintendo after Nintendo bought Sega which was after Sega merged with Square Enix and Capcom.

Unfortunately this is still true because Microsoft is buying Sony on Wednesday.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't think.the lawsuits would stick, they would say we tried the multiplatform model and it didn't work so we pivoted and changed.

What would be different? At that point if they had thier own studios, (forza, Halo, gears, Avowed, minecraft, etc) Plus bethesda (Fallout, wolfenstein, elder scrolls, dishonored, prey, starfeild) Plus square (Dragon quest, final fantasy, nier, mana, etc) Plus Activision (call of duty, spryro, crash, Diablo, etc). That's just too may aaa exclusives to fail at that point, if they went all in. What different than now? Now they don't own all of the above and half of it is on other platforms.

A coordinated withdrawal of publishing on rival platforms would be blatantly anti-competitive. Its cornering the market, and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A coordinated withdrawal of publishing on rival platforms would be blatantly anti-competitive. Its cornering the market, and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

So moving to the exact same model as rivals in the same market is uncompetative? Of course they would have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Even if they do, what is the worst thing that can happen?

MR8ggvr.png

This is tame compared to what they would have done.
Tifa would be an ultra realistic ulgyfied model(DF would be drooling at the face details btw) that gets very mad everytime and Cloud would be a soyboy and probably not the protagonist.
The art from the game would end up being something like Last of Cuck 2 with angry ugly Tifa on the cover.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Not sure how OP would even fall for this one. XBOX is completely dysfunctional, but there’s no way Microsoft would sanction the acquisition of a company that has been bleeding money for years, unless it was at cents on the dollar. It also seems Phil is on a shorter leash.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So moving to the exact same model as rivals in the same market is uncompetative? Of course they would have a leg to stand on.

If they've got proven, successful, markets which they unilaterally withdraw from in order to enrich themselves and hurt their former partners there is no defence.

The issue is the change to the status quo, not what the action is in itself.

Going exclusive to multi-platform is not the same as taking something formerly multi-platform and making it exclusive. Because the latter is directly coercive to business and consumers alike.

Elios83

Lol these shills that make up this stuff not only are desperate but are also completely stupid.
They don't realize that acquisitions have only made unsustainable for Microsoft to restrain their business to a single platform.
It's the opposite of what they wanted to see.
The consolidation phase is also over in general as companies are returning to reality after the covid years and they have to make sure things work financially with the studios they have already or the risk is that past investements will become failures and they'll have to start closing or selling things (see what has happened with Embracer).

Last edited:

Bond007

Not happening.
But it would just be another company for them to eat and ruin the industry all while ruining their games. You cant power level your way to glory

Punished Miku

Gold Member
MS and SQEX are definitely not merging, ever.

But honestly, I doubt anyone is really interested in buying SQEX at this point. Their flagship series is on a downward sales trajectory. And we're seemingly entering the age of limited exclusives, so SQEX status as a system seller for 2-3 million hardcore gamers will really have limited relevance in the future. Their status in Japan is not that relevant anymore either. Sony doesn't even have to pay for timed exclusives in the future if there are less console competitors, let alone buy the whole publisher.

Maybe if they're working on a live service / MMO sequel someone could see a future there justifying a purchase, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Skifi28

That would depend on how many senators they can get to apply pressure to Japan. I'll be using mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom