• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft buying square enix? Probably nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdkirby

Edit: can a mod plz close this post please? Can’t find a way to do it myself, and don’t wanna give this nonsense any more eyes :)

There’s a bunch of stuff on my x feed about Sony currently trying to fight off Microsoft attempts to buy square.

Recently the algo has started throwing xbox console warriors into my feed for some reason. I’m assuming it’s complete nonsense lies/trolling, but wondered if anyone had seen anything about it from anyone remotely reputable.

Not posting the links as I don’t wanna boost a profile that’s probably just engagement farming. But if you google “square enix microsoft” and order by 24h it’ll show up.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Microsoft's overambitious buying streak buying was one major contributing factor of their current problems with the Xbox brand and the switch to becoming a multi platform publisher, so I don't see why they would want to buy even more studios right now, esp. in the current economic climate.

mdkirby

Yeah, I mean personally I would also struggle to see how it would be possible, as I’m pretty sure it’s on the list in Japan that makes it very hard for foreign companies to buy them. But regulators would be even harsher than with activision, especially as they swore blind there wouldn’t be mass job losses, then immediately sacked 1000+ people.

So it smelled like nonsense. Just seemed weird it was suddenly all over my feed, but not mentioned here, which is where I get 99% of my gaming news.

mdkirby

The source is from an Xbox fanboy Twitter account @iiamcloudman

Then you have another Xbox fanboy with over 69k followers spreading the fake news.

Yah that’s the guy, didn’t want to give him the boost of posting his account if it was total nonsense 🤣

Using fanboy twitter drivel as an excuse to make an acquisition speculation thread. Let me laugh harder.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The source is from an Xbox fanboy Twitter account @iiamcloudman

Then you have another Xbox fanboy with over 69k followers spreading the fake news.

Oh yeah goatgaming ...Isnt that the genius that said apple would buy the playstation name only to change it ?
I guess he's totally reliable.

ToadMan

How many "tip offs" have there been about impending acquisitions? Lots.

How many acquisition tip offs were accurate? None.

mdkirby

I wouldnt class myself as an Xbox fanboy but this is 100% true, if you Playstation crewdem want any Square games we will make a decision if you deserve them depending on how much you beg for them, or you can just buy an Xbox the best place to play.
Karim has entered the building 🤣

zokie

it will take some time for Rebirth and Remake to come to the xbox and maybe the next nintendo console as sony might have 1 year exclusivity for the FFVII Return ( tentative working title ) to be release in 2027/28

FFXIV took 10 years to reach xbox console

Random : MS needs to update on " State of Decay 3 " soon , is it going multiplatform or something

Fabieter

This is a public company. Not happening like that. If ms wants to buy them they have to tell their investors.

Boss Mog

It's pretty much impossible for MS to buy SE as Japanese regulations make it very difficult for foreign companies to acquire big Japanese companies. As such, Sony and Nintendo are the only platform holders that could potentially buy them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If they were up for sale, why wouldn't Sony or Nintendo be more interested, and being Japanese companies be way more appealing?

Its not like either lacks the funds to make an offer!

MS has more things to worry right now that acquiring even more studios and publishers lmao.

They are hardly controlling the ones they have, clearly. Bethesda releases aren't making any noise and GOTY Starfield wasn't even all that. They wouldn't spend money on Square-Enix right now.

Bullshit I says, they are releasing their exclusive games left and right, but at the same time buying more studios to do what?

This guy are sick.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Lol no one is doing any mass buying anymore. Interest rates are high and the market is struggling this year.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Considering the leaks showing they considered trying to buy them before, this would not be a surprise.

Would be kind of funny did buy square and if ms went full on mutiplatform for the next 10 years, then suddenly stopped all multiplatform releases including PC and went to an exclusive xbox console only. The sky would fall, the gaf forum.would implode, the outrage and anger would turn quickly into xbox console purchases.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Considering the leaks showing they considered trying to buy them before, this would not be a surprise.

Would be kind of funny did buy square and if ms went full on mutiplatform for the next 10 years, then suddenly stopped all multiplatform releases including PC and went to an exclusive xbox console only. The sky would fall, the gaf forum.would implode, the outrage and anger would turn quickly into xbox console purchases.

No it'd just result in market contraction and massive law-suits.

Xbox's precise problem is that they CANNOT attract new users to their platform. So in 10 years time I doubt they'll be able to justify exclusivity any better than they can today.

I mean honestly, what else can they do that they haven't tried to this point? What's the plan going to be?

Dazraell

Definitely a made up rumor

What I find it funny though is that dumbass who posted that "leak" tagged Phil Spencer to see it. They did a same shit with Apple buying PlayStation rumor by tagging Apple

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom