• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recently i watched Interstellar. yeah this is the greatest science fiction movie ever made right?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A movie like Blade Runner and Dune can survive off of having excellent dialogue and a single great atmospheric setting. Interstellar is great because you saw a wormhole, you saw a water planet, ice planet, black hole, inside a black hole which was all done in a believable fashion - this is why it's the greatest space sci fi movie.
Interstellar has excellent dialogue and character drama too.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Matthew Mcconaughey Crying GIF

Rush2112

Banned
Nope its the original alien thats the greatest scifi movie of all time. Then james camerons aliens, then john carpenters the thing followed by empire strikes back. Interstellar not even in my top ten but maybe in the top 20 if you take out all the whiny drama woke girl power shit.

Last edited:

RaduN

As far as space drama, it's probably the best ever made, imo.
I remember going to the premiere and catching the very last ticket of the showing. Not a good seat obviously, somewhere to the far left, but it didn't matter. I was completely absorbed.

Watched it 4 times i think. It's Nolan's best.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Its definitely one of the better sci-fi's out there considering it attempts to re-create all space and time as a plausible entity. Including a black hole. Because black hole's and their matter (Not talking about 50 cent's bottom) are still much uncharted territory, it was difficult to CGI that in the right way.

I liked Oblivion aswell. Less about the movie, but Fearful Odds by M83 is a sublime soundscape.

Ballthyrm

In what way? That theme is an abstraction of what is actually occuring. Dr. Mann explained it in more "biological" terms in that particular scene, if you feel like "the power of love" isn't a suitable theme for science.

Let's say one of the things I'm looking for in sci-fi is making me think, of what is, what could be.
It is one of the best medium to explore different facet of humankind and challenge our preconception about ourselves, about the broader universe.
I didn't get that in Interstellar. I got a (very good) spectacle and some platitude about the human condition I could get in any other drama.
It's a good movie, but it's not a good sci-fi movie. At least for me.

Wildebeest

I didn't really get along with it because it was just a lot of incomprehensible nonsense to me. A bunch of people mumbling underwater, with the occasional spacey scene or magical realism rubbish.

Last edited:

TheMan

It's amazing. When I was first watching the movie I thought they were gonna waste 30 minutes on Cooper's training and getting prepped for launch, but no we skip that shit and get to exploring multiple planets. I'd say the weakest part of the film was the whole power of love bit at the end.

To be clear, I have nothing against Cooper loving his daughter that much, and making love a central theme of the movie is not a problem. It's the whole turning love into a magic power that just doesn't fit in the movie well

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
In all seriousness though, despite it being an amazing film, I think Arrival, Contact and 2001 beat it to be honest.

I hated Contact when I was a kid. The ending pissed me off do much. However as an adult, I think it's probably one if the most influential movies I've seen in terms of shaping my thoughts, attitudes and beliefs

FunkMiller

If you're talking 'hard' sci-fi - that is, the kind of science fiction that leans in hard to realistic interpretations of the way space and time function... it's certainly up there with the likes of Contact.

If you're talking about general sci-fi, it's not even close to being the best.

Lasha

It's amazing. When I was first watching the movie I thought they were gonna waste 30 minutes on Cooper's training and getting prepped for launch, but no we skip that shit and get to exploring multiple planets. I'd say the weakest part of the film was the whole power of love bit at the end.

To be clear, I have nothing against Cooper loving his daughter that much, and making love a central theme of the movie is not a problem. It's the whole turning love into a magic power that just doesn't fit in the movie well

Love as a force originates from a Jesuit professor named Teilhard de Chardin. Love across time is Interstellar's interpretation of Chardin's "Omega Point". His work is pretty interesting if obscure outside of cosmology, theology, and some sci Fi circles. You can read the full Hyperion cantos if you want a crib notes version.

ZehDon

Gold Member
It's a fine piece of film making, no question, but it's not an all-time great, let alone the best. It has a truly mesmerising soundtrack, and I adore its grounded sci-fi aesthetic immensly, but I find its story all over the place, and I'd be lying if I said I connected with any of the emotional stuff the film is throwing around. The ending isn't great either, and its downright cliche, given its genre.

For me, I'd rather Nolan jettisoned the "save the Earth" story completely, and just gave us a terrific space exploration story about astronauts going through a worm hole that just appeared in our solar system. The middle section of the film - from the time they leave Earth right up until the black hole nonsense - is fantastic, ruined only by the cuts back to Earth that just don't land for me at all.

No.

Blade runner

Alien

Star Wars

Terminator 2

Back to the future

ET

Robocop

Akira

Stalker

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Contact

Children of men

The matrix

Videodrome

Mad max

The thing

They live

Ex Machina

A Clockwork Orange

Close encounters

Her

Solaris

Wall E

Brazil

All of these movies are scifi

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Interstellar was alright but it tried to aim at the GOAT and failed. I also found the whole book deal bit cheaty and the drama between the daughter and the son too convenient to make his ending work.

Here’s some unrelated GIFs from a sci-fi movie:

stanley kubrick 70mm GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre
stanley kubrick hal GIF

Last edited:

k_trout

its a good movie but not even on my list

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Fahrenheit.451(1966)
Solaris 1972
Soylent Green 1973
The Andromeda Strain 1971
Phase IV 1974
Silent.Running.1972
THX1138
Akira
The Thing
The Terminator (1984)
Tron (1982)
Videodrome 1983
Wavelength (1983)
Brainstorm (1983)
Primer 2004

Mohonky

The praise for 2001 is weird to me. I watched it ages ago and rewatched it rcently and besides amazing visuals especially considering the year it came out, its just incredibly tedious and boring to watch. As for Interstellar it was good, predictable tho but has some amazing scenes like the docking one. The best sci fi? Prolly not but Im not sure which movie I'd consider the best. Blade Runner is cybeprunk but still considered sci-fi so either that or Alien is what I consider one of the best.
Agreed on 2001. I don't get the appeal. I don't get a lot of Kubrick stuff though, just seems pretentious; like artist that are looking for something where there's nothing.

I did enjoy Interstellar but the end kind of ruined it for me; it tries so hard to ground itself in science and then basically ends with 'because love'. I hated that about it, I love the concepts of space time, it's gravitational influence and concepts of what singularity could potentially be, but yeh, they kind of pissed it all up against a wall for me with that ending.

As others mentioned though, I feel like movies like Contact were a stronger candidate, again the ending was a bit off with the scene with the Father but I thought it was a cool concept.

Mohonky

Sunshine is another good one. It flew under the radar.
Unfortunately Danny Boyle shit the bed with the ending with sun man.

Otherwise an absolutely amazing film and I loved it, just didn't really need that antagonist.

Some top tier mentions in this thread tho. My personal favs (not all included, and excluding action or horror);

Arrival
Contact
Ex Machina
Sunshine
Bladerunner
Moon
The Abyss
Sphere

sono

It certainly leaves an impression. I rate it 8+ it left me wanting in the ending after the important discovery (avoiding spoilers) ; felt rushed. I am not sure where it would be without the soundtrack.

I think the greatest is Contact followed by the Alien films

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It genuinely gives chills.

Is it perfect? Fuck no.

But the world has gotten nutty when it comes to talking and enjoying movies. Like if we spoke like we do today about movies in the 70s-90s when classic movies were made we'd never have the genuine classics.

Imagine if BttF or die hard released today. Every arsehole thinks they are some snooty critic and "has to find plotholes" and talk about themes and acting hahaha.

No one gave a shit about that stuff when arnie was running around pretending to be your "everyday American" in true lies 🤣

Last edited:

AlphaMale

I know I'm in the minority in this, but I actualy didn't like the movie at all.
For me, Blade Runner and Aliens are still the Sci-fi GOATs.

pramod

Banned
Btw The Thing is actually based on a classic scifi story Who Goes There so im surprised its not often mentioned when u talk about classic scifi movies. It seems to be more regarded as just pure horror.

Last edited:

sono

I CAN NOT BELIEVE that The Martian hasn't been mentioned yet,
It is a realy great film full of emotions and a great lead actor performance that should be mentioned in any great sci-fi films thread. But it doesn't make my personal top 10. Interstella is a higher imho.

Also to call out another absolute classic that I don't think has been mentioned

Silent running..

SpiceRacz

For the people saying it's not the best scifi movie (I'm not saying it is), what would be your choice? Honestly interested.

A few that come to mind:

The Matrix
Terminator 1/2
Blade Runner & BR 2049
Back to The Future
Ex Machina
Edge of Tomorrow
Brazil
12 Monkeys

Interstellar is a really great movie, but it's also forgettable and didn't stick with me the same way a lot of others have.

Last edited:

Synless

Only downside I have with the movie are the scenes where they explain shit like I’m a complete fucking idiot. I would rather the back half of the bell curve not know what’s going on rather my intelligence be insulted.

Dr.Morris79

These two looked interesting and I hadnt heard of them, so I looked them up on Wikipedia. Read through the plots and now I'm kicking myself I didn't just watch them. The stories are fantastic
You missed a trick there! They are better films going in blind but i'd still say they're worth a watch. The quiet Earth is so dated now though and you can tell it was made on a budget of £20 but the premise blew my tiny mind way back when. I think that film, The Thing and Aliens were first few Sci-fi films i'd seen that kicked my brain into thinking of the endless possibilites of the unknown.

Top Bottom