• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recently i watched Interstellar. yeah this is the greatest science fiction movie ever made right?

Only movie to depict how a black hole would really appear like in real life. Well maybe it was like 80% accurate because we should have gotten this:

HMnnjje.jpg

However the soundtrack, time dilation and story was all worth it in the end.

I do however prefer the initial draft of the script which can be found here and would have made the movie x10 better for me:

Interstellar: the 2008 script & its wildly different ending

Neolombax

Its one of my favourites, not even sure what my favourite is. I enjoyed the plot, the acting was great too, had me teary at some scenes. Arrival is another great sci fi movie, enjoyed it very much. A lot of gaffers seem to suggest 2001 and Contact, I've never seen them before so I'm gonna give those a go. Cheers.

Superkewl

Gold Member
It's a good film but, as with most of Nolan's films, I could hardly hear half the dialogue. It's such a pretentious, self-indulgent way to make films. I know you think you're being artistic but I do need to actually follow the plot.
Pretty much. Where it lost me was with all that "love" bullshit.

pramod

Banned
BTW I was thinking of a movie the other day and was reminded of this thread.

I just want to say what a huge crime it is that no one mentioned The Fifth Element.

Sure it's not considered a "great" movie, but I think it ranks up there with Alien and Bladerunner in terms of depicting futuristic worlds and art direction.
In fact looking back I can't believe it didn't win an Oscar for visual effects. There hasn't been anything made since that comes close.

Last edited:
BTW I was thinking of a movie the other day and was reminded of this thread.

I just want to say what a huge crime it is that no one mentioned The Fifth Element.

Sure it's not considered a "great" movie, but I think it ranks up there with Alien and Bladerunner in terms of depicting futuristic worlds/art design.
In fact looking back I can't believe it didn't win an Oscar for visual effects. There hasn't been anything made since that comes close.
It basically predicted TikTok influencer style.

Not sure about greatest and I don't think it matters but it sure was an incredibly affecting movie. I've seen it several times and the score combined with scenes of constant movement and the personal investment create a level of drama, in the good way I mean, that feels insanely engaging. I don't really know much about any of the science being discussed so I couldn't care less if it's accurate, it just looks and feels incredible imo.

And I still listen to the score on Spotify, the church organs just fucking rule.

Thaedolus

The fact they have little shuttles that can land and take off from planets without boosters kinda breaks the whole premise of the movie, but it’s still very entertaining and the soundtrack is GOAT tier

Corpsepyre

Banned
Stalker, Solaris, Alien, 2001, Contact, The Incident, Gattaca, Moon, Event Horizon, The Man From Earth are some of my favourite sci-fi films, but Interstellar is a good honourable mention. If it wasn't for the needless exposition, it would have been up there.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think Spielberg's "Minority Report" and "Artificial Intelligence" are vastly underrated SF movies. I'd rate both of them much higher than Interstellar which I never considered a masterpiece (except for the soundtrack which is magnificent). And yes, I think Contact is better than Interstellar, too. Such a shame that Robert Zemeckis wasted the latter part of his directing career with crappy CGI movies.

bender

What time is it?
I've tried to watch it a few times but always end up falling asleep. It joins Blade Runner in the list of great movies I can't make it through.

mclaren777

Interstellar wouldn't even make my top five sci-fi list.

I would easily put Edge of Tomorrow, Arrival, and Oblivion above it.

Ecotic

Its nonsensical plot ruins it for me. That's really the hallmark of Christopher Nolan movies, his movies don't make any coherent sense, but you assume it does, and you blame yourself for not being smart enough to understand it.

Top Bottom