• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Me: Wireless/Wired Open Back Headphones

HTK

Banned
I need a new pair of headphones, I’ve been using the HyperX Flights for quite some time now and am in need of an upgrade.

I prefer wireless these days just because they are so convenient but I’m not opposed to wired either.

Biggest thing though, I like Open Back Headphones, wider sound stage and non-clammy ears benefits for long durations.

Any suggestions are welcome since it seems like there are thousands of options out there.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
For the price its very hard to beat the Phillips SHP9500s as I drive them almost daily in my gaming

I recently picked up the Audeze LCD-Xs and they sound great if money isn't an issue

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not open back, but I use Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless with these custom pads. Wireless 2.4G lossless audio and the pads are MUCH comfier than the stock and let your ears breath. In terms of neutral sound for gaming headphones you can't do much better.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Pulse 3d is not open but (got open bass ports) but it doesn't block too much from the outside.
Open is good idea but I dont think there is any fully open gaming wireless headset

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
DT990.
Gold standard open back headphones.
Wired unfortunately and I dont know if BD make a wireless headphone with this driver.

DT_990_Comp_UNI_1024x1024.png

HTK

Banned
For the price its very hard to beat the Phillips SHP9500s as I drive them almost daily in my gaming

I recently picked up the Audeze LCD-GXs and they sound great if money isn't an issue
I’ve had a pair of SHP9500s few years ago, sound wise they are unbelievable for the price. My only issue was comfort and how flimsy they are and these days I almost prefer comfort over anything else heheheh

$999 for headphones? I could but I just can’t justify to myself spending that much on headphones. I rather get one of those rumored 32 inch OLEDs 😉

HTK

Banned
DT990.
Wired unfortunately and I dont know if BD make a wireless headphone with this driver.

I’ve seen these they look quite comfortable, do you know if they require a DAC to fully utilize them?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I’ve seen these they look quite comfortable, do you know if they require a DAC to fully utilize them?
The 80Ω should be relatively easy to run.
250Ω most decent PC motherboards will run them alright.
Even a "pocket" amp will get the job done.
You dont NEED a DAC but as always it will certainly help.

And yes the Velour is super comfortable.....they will just be disgusting in a year.
All the DT770, DT880 and DT990 have a lot of aftermarket pad support, so you should replace the Velour once they get messy with some high quality ear pads.

J3nga

Got AKG K712 Pro + Fiio K5 pro DAC/amp, one input connected to PC via usb, the other one to PS5 via optical(requires extra PCM2704 DAC which you can find on amazon for sub $10.), but you also get 3d audio. Can switch between PC and PS5 just by toggling the switch, very convenient if you ask me. Not really a recommendation since it's not very cheap(although OP hasn't specified his budget but I did toss 400+ euros), just one of the ways to have convenient setup if you have multiple devices and don't want to plug/unplug devices all the time without sacrificing sound quality.

Last edited:
gonna need more info, brah.
(most people just going to recommend the headphones they own)
  • price range?
  • anything you hate? (e.g., boomy bass)
  • anything you love? (e.g., soundstage, midrange)
there really are a crap-ton of choices.
from traditional, to planar/electrostatic, to hybrid/exotic housings...

remember, open-back headphones dont do well in noisy environments, and other people may hear them.
wireless is super convenient, but it tends to compromise sound quality.

if you going big...
these bad boys are $2k...
gs3000x-3q.jpg

and these flagship boys are $4.5k...
LCD-5_Gallery1_1200x.jpg

Larxia

DT990.

I've always been curious about these but something annoying is that non-gaming headphones never let you change the volume on the headphones directly.
You always have to lower the volume in windows instead, which can be annoying if you're recording something for example, because the footage will be recorded with a lower volume. I wish headphones like this had a volume slider on them directly, like on most gaming headsets.

Rac3r

Sennheiser HD 560s.

I happily paid $200 for these, and they are on sale right now for $160, which is an absolute steal.

Trust me on this, I've used a lot of headphones and I sold them all after I heard these. You can't really do any better for an all-around pair of headphones at this price point. It would be a massive upgrade over your hyperx. It's open back, so it has a good soundstage and good imaging for gaming, it has a nice tonal balance for music, and a wide frequency response. It's also super comfortable and has detachable cord.

See RTINGS review for measurements

One of the only cons is the frequency response drops off slightly in the low end. There is still plenty of sub-bass; however it won't really "thump" hard if you're into that type of sound. I prefer this, as the sub-bass is still present, but it won't fatigue your ears as much. The only other con is that it uses a 2.5mm input, so your standard 3.5mm aux cable won't fit. This is easily fixed by buying this adapter, which will allow you to use any standard 3.5 mm aux cable you have. You can even plug a V Moda boom pro mic into the adapter to use as a headset. I do this to game on PS5.

Edit: Also, ignore anyone who says these headphones require an amp. They are driven just fine from a controller, your PC's onboard audio, or a phone, and get plenty loud enough. Anyone who says otherwise likely has hearing loss.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Is there such a thing as wireless open back headphones?

Not really sadly. The closest are the Astro A50 headset, which are semi-open back. However they're a gaming headset that require a dedicated base station. They also require optical in, so you have to use an HDMI audio-extractor to feed the PS5/XSX audio into the base. Since there are no audio HDMI 2.1 audio extractors in the market AFAIK, you are limited to 4K 60hz on console. I hope Astro comes out with a proper next-gen version of the A50 and keeps the open back design because it's a fantastic headset.

HTK

Banned
Sorry, here is some additional info.

I'm sticking with the budget of $200 to $250. Headset that primary highlights footsteps, so I don't care about crazy bass.

I do have a questions about the connections, if I plug it into my mobo will I also be able to have my speakers plugged in? Do they use the same plug? Can't remember. Looking to get something on the early Amazon Holiday Sales that's happening on October 11th and 12th.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Philips Fidelio X2HR

Open back, nice and large over ear design, 30ohm so well driven without an amp, even though they are music headphones they have a good sound profile for games (V shaped for pronounced highs and bass), they have a standard 3.5mm female jack plug in the headphones so can take loads of different cables including the excellent V Moda Boom Pro mic.

They have just released the Fidelio X3 which is not so well suited to gaming with a different plug setup and different audio profile. It does mean however that prices on the X2HR should be low.

Digfox

I do have a questions about the connections, if I plug it into my mobo will I also be able to have my speakers plugged in? Do they use the same plug? Can't remember. Looking to get something on the early Amazon Holiday Sales that's happening on October 11th and 12th.

Haven't used on-board audio before but I think a common configuration is audio ports on the back for speakers (rear, front, sub etc.) and then using an audio header from the motherboard for using your case's headphone jack. Certainly that's how my motherboard is setup. You should be able to switch between the two.

A separate DAC/AMP would improve the sound and make switching easier but that will add to the cost.

I'm a fan of Beyerdynamic headphones so would echo the DT 990 Pros. Although a couple of months ago I did get the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R (on it's own, but also available with an external desk Mic) and these use the same driver as the 990's and mostly the same parts. They are very easy to drive, have a tad more bass, (meant to) have slightly better separation but the treble isn't as sibilant as the 990's - which can be an issue for some. Might be worth considering. I also own the AKG K701/702s and adore their soundstage. The Sennheiser HD 599s are a good allrounder (which are often on Amazon sale price, under £90 here in the UK) and the HD 598's were my entry point into good headphones. Although the Sennheiser HD 560s are said to be the better, particularly when it comes to competitive headphones. Also the Mass Drop PC 38x's are highly regarded too, which have the benefit of a built in mic. As you say lots of choice. The one great thing about Beyerdynamic headphones is that parts are widely available and much cheaper than Sennheiser and AKG (certainly in the UK). And they very well built.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Fellas, I may be a disappointment to you all but I figured let me experiment with my next possible purchase. So I've been looking into IEMs ahhahah

Valonquar

Arctis Pro 7+ wireless for the win. Do NOT buy their highest end ones with the dual battery charger thing though. That model has a problem with speaker hiss.

Mr Moose

Philips Fidelio X2HR.
Great sound and comfortable fit, don't need EQ on console unlike my Sennheisers, and they have nice bass.
Add a V-Moda Boompro if you need a mic with it.

Mr Hyde

I use 3 different sets of headphones.

Sennheiser HD 400S - Great sound and comfortable but wired. Use them on PC when working, listening to music or gaming.

Sony Pulse 3D Headphones. Maybe not what you're looking for since they are mostly designed for the PS5.

Sony XM3. These are my favorite headphones. Very comfortable for long sessions, great battery life, wireless, noise cancelling. I use them for all sorts of things. Music, gaming, working. Best headphones I've ever had. Quite expensive though but totally worth it.

HTK

Banned
I use the Sennheiser PC38X. It's open back, sound's balanced and solid mic

I'm trying out some IEMs however PC38X are #1 on my list so far after looking around.

I use 3 different sets of headphones.

Sennheiser HD 400S - Great sound and comfortable but wired. Use them on PC when working, listening to music or gaming.

Sony Pulse 3D Headphones. Maybe not what you're looking for since they are mostly designed for the PS5.

Sony XM3. These are my favorite headphones. Very comfortable for long sessions, great battery life, wireless, noise cancelling. I use them for all sorts of things. Music, gaming, working. Best headphones I've ever had. Quite expensive though but totally worth it.

Sony Pulse 3D Headphones may be the worst headphones I've tried in the last 10 years to be honest. Quite sad considering Sony has a great Audio division, but every time they produce anything for PlayStation it's garbage.

Mr Hyde

Sony Pulse 3D Headphones may be the worst headphones I've tried in the last 10 years to be honest. Quite sad considering Sony has a great Audio division, but every time they produce anything for PlayStation it's garbage.

Really? I think they are really good. I didn't like them in the beginning, felt uncomfortable with oval cups but after some use they feel great now. Audio is great too, considering the price I think they more than live up to it quality wise. But different strokes and all that.

HTK

Banned
Really? I think they are really good. I didn't like them in the beginning, felt uncomfortable with oval cups but after some use they feel great now. Audio is great too, considering the price I think they more than live up to it quality wise. But different strokes and all that.
At least for me they were uncomfortable, very plasticky, and creeky. Audio felt hollow compared to my other headsets. I got bunch of headsets so I can typically compare and contrast to my personal liking. But like you said different strokes for different folks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm trying out some IEMs however PC38X are #1 on my list so far after looking around.

what?
why?
I love mine. very similar sounding to beloved koss porta pro

jaysius

Banned
Playstation branded Headphones have been pure trash since the inception in quality, comfort and audio quality.

I tried the one with the bass impact nonsense and the one before it, all were pretty terrible.

Can't hold a candle to even an ATH-M40x.

The fact that you can hear how shitty they are means you can hear the difference in good headphones, maybe a Senn 560 or Phillips X2HR would be good to try. Maybe even a PC38X would be worth a shot.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Playstation branded Headphones have been pure trash since the inception in quality, comfort and audio quality.

I tried the one with the bass impact nonsense and the one before it, all were pretty terrible.

Can't hold a candle to even an ATH-M40x.

The fact that you can hear how shitty they are means you can hear the difference in good headphones, maybe a Senn 560 or Phillips X2HR would be good to try. Maybe even a PC38X would be worth a shot.
Definitely got the PC38X on top of my list so far.

I have a general question about wired headsets:

Since my wife complains about "noise pollution", my Teufel 5.1 system has to go.
Now I'm looking for a (very good) wired headset that also supports Dolby Vision (e.g. Astro A40 / Steelseries Arctis Nova Pro).

But how exactly do I connect the headset to my consoles in order to fully enjoy Dolby Atmos / surround sound?
Does the headset have to be connected directly to the console (which would mean a 4 meter long cable across the room) or can I also just passively plug it into the gamepad via the jack?

(FYI: The easiest solution would probably be a wireless headset, but I'm not too enthusiastic about it (#long gaming sessions #radiation #fear 🧠o_O).

Digfox

But how exactly do I connect the headset to my consoles in order to fully enjoy Dolby Atmos / surround sound?
Does the headset have to be connected directly to the console (which would mean a 4 meter long cable across the room) or can I also just passively plug it into the gamepad via the jack?

Dolby Atmos for Headphones (or DTS:X & Windows Sonic for headphones) will work with any stereo headphones (or headset) no matter how they are connected to the Xbox One/Series or PC (and as long as they aren't being used with other virtualisation software, i.e. Creative SoundBlaster SBX etc.). So yes, in terms of the Xbox you can plug in a set of headphones/headset via the 3.5mm jack on the controller.

This won't be the best setup in that a wireless controller has constraints; wireless, no AMP etc. So for cleaner audio or for more power to drive higher impedance headphones a separate headphone DAC/AMP is preferable, but this will add wires to your setup.

I see. Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Basivally, I want to keep it as simple as possible. So I will use the jack plug + standard xbox audio adapter + gamepad. This will have to do.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Gonna throw in for Philips Fidelio X2HR.
Amazing build quality, sound and super duper comfortable. Before I had a Hyperx2 hot trash in comparison. I did a lot of research for these and they are by far best bang for your buck.

Tams

Amazing build quality, sound and super duper comfortable. Before I had a Hyperx2 hot trash in comparison. I did a lot of research for these and they are by far best bang for your buck.

I'm rocking the X2HRs too. Solid headphones, not too expensive, easy to drive, and very comfortable. And that soundstage... you're not going to get better for the price. The pads don't turn into good either, just gather some fluff.

The SHP9500s are great too if you like more bass. Cheaper too.

Pair them with a Vmoda Boom Mic (with volume control), and they are great gaming headphones.

There are the X3s, but they are less neutral and more expensive. There's also the dual wires (one to each earcup) to deal with, especially if you want to use the Vmoda.

So, I have now tested three different wired gaming headsets. All from the high price segment and with very good online reviews.

My personal, subjective opinion:

- Beyerdynamic MMX 300: Very disappointing for the price and the praise online . The sound sounds tinny, flat and unbalanced. Further, it comes without setting options like a Gamepad adapter on the console.

- Steelseries Arctis Nova Pro: Top sound and a number of setting options on the included station. However, it is also the most expensive of the three. The wiring also bothered me. The jack is not connected directly to the gamepad (adapter), but to the station, which is unfortunately suboptimal for couch gaming. In my opinion, the Steelseries is therefore primarily made for PC gaming.

- Astro A40 + Mixamp M80: My choice! Similar good sound as the Steelseries but with plus points.
On the one hand it is a bit cheaper and on the other hand the headset is connected via a gamepad adapter. The adapter (Mixamp M80) is super easy to use and also has three EQs to choose from.

(All headsets have been tested with Dolby Atmos on XSX)

SoraNoKuni

HD58X Jubilee from Drop, VFM, very simillar to HD6XXs but at a fraction of the cost, some minor pros and cons for both of them, Rtings actually prefer the 58X.

It costs around 159$.

So, I have now tested three different wired gaming headsets. All from the high price segment and with very good online reviews.

My personal, subjective opinion:

- Beyerdynamic MMX 300: Very disappointing for the price and the praise online . The sound sounds tinny, flat and unbalanced. Further, it comes without setting options like a Gamepad adapter on the console.

- Steelseries Arctis Nova Pro: Top sound and a number of setting options on the included station. However, it is also the most expensive of the three. The wiring also bothered me. The jack is not connected directly to the gamepad (adapter), but to the station, which is unfortunately suboptimal for couch gaming. In my opinion, the Steelseries is therefore primarily made for PC gaming.

- Astro A40 + Mixamp M80: My choice! Similar good sound as the Steelseries but with plus points.
On the one hand it is a bit cheaper and on the other hand the headset is connected via a gamepad adapter. The adapter (Mixamp M80) is super easy to use and also has three EQs to choose from.

(All headsets have been tested with Dolby Atmos on XSX)
But still gaming headsets. They aren’t good in comparison to real headsets

Needlecrash

I just sold mine actually. Great cans, but they were uncomfortable on my head. The clamping force was a bit too much. Ordered a Monolith M570 for it's replacement.

Last edited:

Tams

If the Phillips Fidelio X2HRs are uncomfortable, then I can also vouch for the Sony MDR 1R. They are very comfortable closed back headphones, though as a result get hot in hot climates.

The MDR 1A and MDR 1AM2 are successors and pretty much the same.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Philips Fidelio X2HR

Open back, nice and large over ear design, 30ohm so well driven without an amp, even though they are music headphones they have a good sound profile for games (V shaped for pronounced highs and bass), they have a standard 3.5mm female jack plug in the headphones so can take loads of different cables including the excellent V Moda Boom Pro mic.

They have just released the Fidelio X3 which is not so well suited to gaming with a different plug setup and different audio profile. It does mean however that prices on the X2HR should be low.
Second/third these. I love mine

Limited-time deal: Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR Over-Ear Open-Air Headphone 50mm Drivers- Black https://a.co/d/7Mq76rB

Last edited:

Digfox

But still gaming headsets. They aren’t good in comparison to real headsets

The Beyerdynamic MMX 300's are a re-tuned DT770 from what I've read. Certainly well regarded offering from a 'real' headphone maker. I know they are low impedance but I wonder how much they come alive when plugged into a DAC/AMP.

Needlecrash

I never used it as a combo but a lot of people swear by the philips fidelio with vmoda mic combo.

That's me. I used the original Fidelio X1's with the V-Moda mic. It was GREAT. Can't swap out the earpads though.

If the Phillips Fidelio X2HRs are uncomfortable, then I can also vouch for the Sony MDR 1R. They are very comfortable closed back headphones, though as a result get hot in hot climates.

The MDR 1A and MDR 1AM2 are successors and pretty much the same.

Been curious about the MDR's....

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Not really sadly. The closest are the Astro A50 headset, which are semi-open back. However they're a gaming headset that require a dedicated base station. They also require optical in, so you have to use an HDMI audio-extractor to feed the PS5/XSX audio into the base. Since there are no audio HDMI 2.1 audio extractors in the market AFAIK, you are limited to 4K 60hz on console. I hope Astro comes out with a proper next-gen version of the A50 and keeps the open back design because it's a fantastic headset.
AFAIK the Astro A50 work fine through USB alone. You just can't use their integrated Dolby Digital downmixer, but the PS5's spatial audio system for headphones is much better anyways.

Boneless

I have looked at tons and bought:

Astro A50
Steelseries arctis pro wireless
Sennheiser PC38X

The steelseries is an embarresment, terrible build quality. I found the A50 super chunky and uncomfortable.

The PC38X is awesome, comfortable, superb sennheiser sound, decent mic. Not wireless but to be honest charging is too much of a hassle, I prefer the wire.

tylrdiablos

I have looked at tons and bought:

Astro A50
Steelseries arctis pro wireless
Sennheiser PC38X

The steelseries is an embarresment, terrible build quality. I found the A50 super chunky and uncomfortable.

The PC38X is awesome, comfortable, superb sennheiser sound, decent mic. Not wireless but to be honest charging is too much of a hassle, I prefer the wire.
No comments on the sound quality of the Astro A50's? I came close to buying them during the last Amazon Sale.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Similar experience with Boneless, I've had cheap Logitechs, then upgraded to Arctis 3 wired and 1 wireless, both were decent for the price.

Got the PC38X Drop and while it's the best one weight, comfort and soundwise it could stand to be louder. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but the sounds just sounds low compared to the others.

Now I'm thinking I'll get a DAC Amp, maybe the EPOS? To get some volume back.

Top Bottom