• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Nymphae

Banned
That intro showed me how tired i am of tutorials in games

I am too, but I consider them a necessary evil. Without instruction manuals (how many people honestly read through them all anyway for actual gameplay mechanics instruction), or actual tutorials that exist outside of the narrative framing, how else are they supposed to convey the basics and what is possible in the game? You can't just leave it all up to experimentation, at some point the game needs to tell you what you can do and how to do it.

Turning off the HUD sounds like a good idea but I’m not sure I could make it through the whole game like that. I’ll have to give it a shot tho

I turned off the map but left health and things like that as dynamic so I know when I need to take actions, etc. Even with the map off though you can bring it up anytime by holding down on d-pad so you can glance what is going on.

Really changes things though. When I had to rope the guy and return to the community I tried to find my way back by following horse tracks in the snow. I got lost but dang did it make the storm and scale of the world way more imposing and organic than if I had just followed the line back to the objective.

I turned off the map but left health and things like that as dynamic so I know when I need to take actions, etc. Even with the map off though you can bring it up anytime by holding down on d-pad so you can glance what is going on.

Really changes things though. When I had to rope the guy and return to the community I tried to find my way back by following horse tracks in the snow. I got lost but dang did it make the storm and scale of the world way more imposing and organic than if I had just followed the line back to the objective.

That sounds great. I’m gonna set that up right now

Nymphae

Banned
Even with the map off though you can bring it up anytime by holding down on d-pad so you can glance what is going on.

That's how this should be done, that's a great idea. I never go hud-less because I feel like I will need some of the information at some point, and I don't want to completely get rid of it. Allowing me to be fully immersed, but pull up menus when needed is fantastic. I hope you can also use that to toggle the hud?

I can't edit my last post but another example is something popped on screen about how I should go talk to X person when I woke up in the cabin. I didn't want to look where they were so I just began making my way around the different sheds talking to the people inside. Finally found the right cabin and it seamlessly put me into a cutscene. What I thought was cool was how it forced me to interact with people I would have bypassed otherwise and gave me some more insight into the world. + it immerses me in the world that much more.

I don't usually try to play games like this but so far this game is begging for it and it is adding to my enjoyment.

Last edited:
That's how this should be done, that's a great idea. I never go hud-less because I feel like I will need some of the information at some point, and I don't want to completely get rid of it. Allowing me to be fully immersed, but pull up menus when needed is fantastic. I hope you can also use that to toggle the hud?

I kept everything else on the HUD set to dynamic, so it shows up when relevant. Of course that means small icons show up but they leave when they don't matter. I find that the map is the biggest crutch with the HUD and actually ruins immersion the most so that is what I took off. I mean I can't imagine trying to be proactive with health and stamina when you take all those icons away completely. That may be too much.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So I had to help some guy in a town with shooting people, he got himself killed so i needed to reload the checkpoint, but suddenly my expensive customized revolver is gone. I didnt drop it nor was it shot out of my hand, and i couldn’t find it anywhere.
Did this happen to anyone else? Kinda makes the whole customization pointless if you can just loose a gun.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Game is amazing loving the slow pace lol at people judging game based off 5 and 6 hours of gameplay.

Must admit I was wary of the controls and mechanics a few hours ago but am picking it up now. SO much to do!!!

Just killed a legendary bear, holy shit, it was like out of the revenant. Shot it twice with a shotgun, it was pissed. Ran at me and jumped on top of me. Pulled my knife out automatically by the looks of it, stabbed it a few times then I was nearly dead, shot it twice more and it died. Was so intense!! This is so amazing.

xviper

i don't know if this is a glitch or not, but i lost my horse doing a mission so i got a random one, when i reached the staple and got my horse, the replacement kept following us no matter where i go, it's kinda funny and sad, but at least i can use him during hunting

The more I play this the more I realize it does not feel like a traditional game, or a movie, but real life! Rockstar talked about how they changed the traditional open-world formula to a more organic feel and boy did they nail it. the way the side missions and random events occur is really cool and I'm really digging this game even though it does have a slower pace.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This game, just like GTAV, badly needs the PC version to enjoy first person. Just like GTAV it feels like it has additional input lag somewhere thats making it feel sluggish to control. At 4k/60fps GTAV is smooth as butter and feels like a twitch shooter almost. Cant wait for the PC version of this, but for now I'll enjoy the X version and just suffer through the third person view.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am too, but I consider them a necessary evil. Without instruction manuals (how many people honestly read through them all anyway for actual gameplay mechanics instruction), or actual tutorials that exist outside of the narrative framing, how else are they supposed to convey the basics and what is possible in the game? You can't just leave it all up to experimentation, at some point the game needs to tell you what you can do and how to do it.
well look how zelda botw did it
i think red dead should at least give us an option.

the intro really left a sour taste behind

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just picked up the strategy guide, not because I ever really need or use them, but because it is really well done. Actually, for this game, I kind of appreciate it just for the basics that Rockstar felt it didn't need to teach us or that it teaches poorly, hud elements, basic controls, etc. Anyway, not a normal fan of strat guides, but this one is pretty nice.

Nymphae

Banned
well look how zelda botw did it
i think red dead should at least give us an option.

the intro really left a sour taste behind

I haven't played Zelda not sure how they do tutorials.

I liked how they did the swinging tutorial in Spider-man, they literally just throw you out the window and teach you as you move around. The tutorials in the older Spider-man games that had Bruce Campbell narration where he makes fun of you while you learn the game were awesome.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just picked up the strategy guide, not because I ever really need or use them, but because it is really well done. Actually, for this game, I kind of appreciate it just for the basics that Rockstar felt it didn't need to teach us or that it teaches poorly, hud elements, basic controls, etc. Anyway, not a normal fan of strat guides, but this one is pretty nice.

Thanks for the heads up. I never buy them either, but was on the fence for this one since the game is so huge, and one I know I will spend quite a bit of time with.

Do you have a link off hand by chance for it, so I know what to look for at the store?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I haven't played Zelda not sure how they do tutorials.

I liked how they did the swinging tutorial in Spider-man, they literally just throw you out the window and teach you as you move around. The tutorials in the older Spider-man games that had Bruce Campbell narration where he makes fun of you while you learn the game were awesome.
ah then there is no point is discussion this with you.
small hint...

botw blew me away

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Thanks for the heads up. I never buy them either, but was on the fence for this one since the game is so huge, and one I know I will spend quite a bit of time with.

Do you have a link off hand by chance for it, so I know what to look for at the store?
It's this one by Piggyback, whoever they are.
Guide

The soft cover is $25 and the hard cover is $40. I got the soft cover.

I have a dumb question. If I’m going back replaying missions to complete all the bonus objectives is there a way to do a quick restart mid-mission once I know I failed an objective? So far only way I have found is to die and reload at checkpoint

Anyone know anything more about the companion app? I thought it was supposed to come out today but I can't find it anywhere or on the Google play store. I am on Android.

some snowy shots from the X1X version
2bC8LXG.jpg

s1HqrF3.jpg

kzqDIw0.jpg

jpBjWZa.jpg

2Z19uLR.jpg

56qULFT.jpg

Last edited:

Sacred

How do I get my hat back at the beginning camp, I can't find the wardrobe anywhere, after I dropped it in the fight at the Mill.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How do I get my hat back at the beginning camp, I can't find the wardrobe anywhere, after I dropped it in the fight at the Mill.

It might be gone if you did not pick it up there. Time to get a new one!

Edit: Found this:
https://guides.gamepressure.com/red-dead-redemption-2/guide.asp?ID=46967

Losing a hat in RDR 2 isn't that important but it can be irritating when you lose your favorite hat bought at a store.

1. Look around the place where you have lost your hat. There is a good chance that it hadn't disappeared yet which means that you will be able to pick it up.
  2. Go back to your gang hideout if you can't find the hat. Head to Arthur's tent and interact with the chest containing your pieces of clothes (see the picture 1). Go to the Hats tab and select the headwear from the list. Hats are assigned to you permanently when you receive them or purchase at a store.
Additional note - This chest also has all other pieces of clothes owned by your character. Go back to it when you have to, i.e. change winter clothes to those fit for summer.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
It really does truly feel like something special. In some ways it doesn’t even feel like a Rockstar game because it is so different with its pacing, atmosphere, writing and tone.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So I’ve just got home and my copy wasn’t delivered despite being dispatched.

Fuck you royal mail. Fuck you.

How the fuck do I get to armadillo. I want to go explore the old game because the new one is boring. Doesn’t feel like Red Dead at all to me.

Vawn

Banned
I can't seem to save my game. I go to the Story tab, but save is greyed out with the message, "currently unable to manually save". Any ideas?

I also tried staying at a hotel, but the sleep and bath options are also greyed out.

I can't seem to save my game. I go to the Story tab, but save is greyed out with the message, "currently unable to manually save". Any ideas?

I also tried staying at a hotel, but the sleep and bath options are also greyed out.
I think you can only manually save when you're not on a mission. Could be you're on one and not aware of it.

Inviusx

This game is incredible, the first mission when you:
Go to Valentine with the girls and buy some coffee while they cause trouble and then chase down that fella. I can't beleive that all took place without a single loading screen or cutscene. All 100% dynamic. It's sublte yet so far advanced compared to any other game on the market.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I think you can only manually save when you're not on a mission. Could be you're on one and not aware of it.

Thanks. Does that include side missions? I took on a bounty, but haven't started it. I feel like I tried saving before that too, but I'm not positive.

makaveli60

Okay, I will sound very hyperbolic, but...
I've been a videogame fan since the 90's and this is nothing like I've ever played/seen. I can't find the words to describe it, I feel like a child again for whom videogames were such a mysterious wonder. This is on a whole another level than anything else made before, it even makes Naughty Dog run for its money. I can't believe what Rockstar Games have developed. I feel like I'm playing a game from the future, nextgen material. If this is possible now on these consoles (I'm playing on a base PS4) then I can't imagine what the future holds for us. Graphics, animations, sounds, music, characters, pacing, story, dialogs, shooting mechanics, interactions with the world and the characters, cinematography, everything is just insane. Seriously, if you like videogames then you just have to play (!) this, because this one is for the history books.
I may sound like someone from the marketing team who wants to sell it, but these are really my feelings/thoughts about this game.

P.s.: I don't even like westerns.

Top Bottom