• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

DavidGzz

Man, I feel like if you didn't love it from the get-go, quit trying, it isn't for you. Similar to how some people can't get into Dark Souls while others think it's a top 5 game of all time, some people just won't be able to get into this. I personally think it's incredible, in a league of its own for open world experiences.

flmarins

Neo Member
A little bit off topic and a longshot but i taught to give it a try,

I’ve receivef a gift from a customer 50$ E-gift for bestbuy US, but I live in France, I’ve tried to use it to buy 50$ in psn us credit digital delivery so i can buy RDR2 (historic reason i have a psn us account) however bestbuy keeps canceling my order « unable to verify information »

Is there any kind soul out there that could place this order for me if I send the gift card and then send me back the psn code ?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Really want to enjoy this game but I’m having trouble, maybe Gaf can help?

In chapter two and it just seems like there’s so much micromanaging with the camp, bathing, grooming, keeping cores up, hunting, etc. Should I just try to push through the missions until more options open up!?

Don’t get to bogged down by it, I was really worried about it at the start but I am now getting a more organic feel. I just went off and played some poker, did some hunting, did some missions and everything is ticking along nicely. For example the ledger which you need to upgrade the camp unlocks after the first Leopold mission. It all is starting to feel natural now and I am totally loving it.

At the start I was not feeling it but now I think if you just go with the flow and don’t worry about all the small management things you end up just doing them when you notice them. For example you see your health is low: eat something, your horse stamina core is low give him some food or tonic etc. Nothing bad happens just means it doesn’t refill as quickly.

There is so many animals in this game it’s amazing. Just studying them is great fun. Filling up my compendium nicely now.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Sweet baby Jesus, the atmosphere just after a thunderstorm is incredible. The way the lighting seeps through the trees and the mist made me tingle.

9Qg3Syj3_o.png

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I swear, first person is God's gift to a R* game.
Hated RDR1 because it was very lame, imo. But playing RDR2 in first person doesn't make it feel like a R* sandbox-game at all.
Really happy to be able to play the entire game like that.

Also, that Saloon sequence with Lenny.
Been a very long time that a game managed to make me laugh out loud.
Far too realistic and recognisable. lol

Last edited:

makaveli60

It's a bit weird seeing that some of you don't like the realistic things in the game which I find amazing. I'm glad that this game exists, nothing like this since a long time ago (Kingdom Come maybe). It's a breath of fresh air, especially if you compare it to AC Odyssey that is arcade AF. I love this game.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I swear, first person is God's gift to a R* game.
Hated RDR1 because it was very lame, imo. But playing RDR2 in first person doesn't make it feel like a R* sandbox-game at all.
Really happy to be able to play the entire game like that.

Also, that Saloon sequence with Lenny.
Been a very long time that a game managed to make me laugh out loud.
Far too realistic and recognisable. lol
I like the first person too. It’s more immersive if not perhaps less stylish because you miss some great animation.

I'm enjoying the game. Maybe it's pointless beign annoyed at 10/10 reviews but it just stinks of bullshit. No review I have seen has even called out how slow and cumbersome the intro is. It should have been a cutscene then set you loose at the second camp. I've got no problems with 8-9/10 but saying this is perfect with one of the slowest intros in gaming history is a bit rich. Gameplay for 2-4 hours consisting of hold X now hold touchpad for cinematic view because you won't be doing anything for a while.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm enjoying the game. Maybe it's pointless beign annoyed at 10/10 reviews but it just stinks of bullshit. No review I have seen has even called out how slow and cumbersome the intro is. It should have been a cutscene then set you loose at the second camp. I've got no problems with 8-9/10 but saying this is perfect with one of the slowest intros in gaming history is a bit rich. Gameplay for 2-4 hours consisting of hold X now hold touchpad for cinematic view because you won't be doing anything for a while.
Reviewers often argue that in their eyes a 10 doesn't mean perfect because a review doesn't start at 10 and then get docked down as they find things to criticize. It's just the highest score they're able to give.

Personally I think an arbitrary number assigned to a review is far less important than a list of pros and cons, but I'm probably in the minority on that one.

And yeah, I wasn't too fond of that intro myself. I liked it more than the first Redemption's intro, but that's not saying much.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It's a bit weird seeing that some of you don't like the realistic things in the game which I find amazing. I'm glad that this game exists, nothing like this since a long time ago (Kingdom Come maybe). It's a breath of fresh air, especially if you compare it to AC Odyssey that is arcade AF. I love this game.

Yep, it's like Kingdom Come with Rockstar money and talent.

Now give me a medieval/dark fantasy game with these production values. I know, there are so many medieval games but I'm a sucker for them. Having the lighting this has, glinting off some full plate in a forest like that shot above would be amazing.

If micromanagement bothers you, it's because you're actually micromanaging. That stuff can be mostly ignored without any major consequences. Just eat once in awhile and you'll get along fine.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ok, so after spending a few hours with it and getting let lose, I have to give a few moaning things rather than just loving how it looks.

- Rockstar are the kings of the open world. But god damn are they the worst at basic stuff that shouldn’t be here. I know they want the world to feel alive and real, but taking so long to pad down bodies for loot and things like that are NOT fun. It takes too long and after the 100th time, you just don’t want to bother.

- Why in 2018, am I still tapping A to run? What’s worse is that it doesn’t always work, even with stanima full. You just stop.

- Rockatar still need to get a new UI designer. This thing isn’t just ugly, it’s a huge mess. Why are my important prompts tucked away? Why do my pick up and action buttons just change from A to Y? Why is it all so slow and clumsy? Coming form Creed to this was painful... And that’s Creed!!!

- Some odd behaviour with fans again. My X is silent. Unless I having a shave, then it takes off... erm? What?

- Aiming feels heavy, and not in a good way. Something is off with their weighting and dead zones.

- Back to the gui, you force me to set HDR to 300 as I have an OLED, but then all the menus look washed out and bad. What the hell? Why?

- FORCED WALKING NEEDS TO JUST DIE. And this game is pretty much forced walking the game... ugh... I get to a camp and now I have to walk at 2mph...

Look I’m enjoying the game, it’s stunning. But it’s like it was made by the worlds best and the worlds dumbest at the same time, people who learned nothing from the last 10 years other than purdy graphics.

drotahorror

I suck ass at free aim. The control doesn't feel good at all to me. I did turn the acceleration down a bit and turned the sensitivity up and it's slightly better, still feels wonky though. I also don't like Arthur's voice. Hopefully his voice seems more natural as the game progresses, but as it is, his accent and way of talking seems so forced to me. It's actually really easy to emulate his voice for me. I'm constantly mocking it hah.

I finally got out of the intro, not the biggest fan of it, very slow. I'm sure the game is about to pick up though, should be fun.

Zewp

Yeah, the intro was slow. I didn't like the intro in GTAV either and this is even worse.

But here's the thing- it's not something that's going to affect whether I can recommend the game to anyone or not. If it was a 20 hour linear game, sure. But I'd feel weird making a huge fuss about 2 hours of gameplay when it makes up such a tiny part of the roughly 50+ hours most people are probably going to spend on the game. Rockstar should definitely be made aware of the problem, but I don't blame anyone for not making a fuss in reviews or docking review points for something so small.

I suspect that once I've spent 50 hours on the game, the intro is going to be the furthest thing from my mind.

wagrez

Neo Member
I played for like 4 hours, graphics are amazing, but the gameplay has not really evolved since GTA5. The same boring ride to destination for 10 minutes, shoot stuff and repeat shit that plagues rockstars games. Back to black ops 4 for now.
ironic, don't you think?

INC

Gold Member
Gfx are hit and miss
Constantly tapping x on horse becoming old very quickly
Controllers are straight up awful and ruin any fun or skill in gun fights, u just have to rely on the snap to aim assist, because the input lag/deadzone/acceleration is the worst I've played since kz2, kills all immersion and fun instantly

Tbh feel extremely let down, expected to be wowed, find myself being frustrated more, a game in development for 8 years and no brought up how horrid the controls are.........gg rockstar

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I can understand complaints if someone feels the controls are legitimately bad, story is bad, actoing is bad, graphics are bad.. AI... etc.

Purchasing a sequel to a game which should set up expectations for what this game should be at its core and complaining about that confuses me.

Even separating out this title from the conversation and just discussing open works games, especially those with guns. What kind of game does one expect other than go location, have a bit of dialogue/story, likely a gunfight, stealth section, messenger section emerge , or protect section emerge, and then on to the next?

zwiggelbig

I died from laughter in saloon drinking mission, it's masterful :messenger_sunglasses: After ~9h I think this game is my GOTG so far, we finally got game better than W3.
So I'm early on. When does the game actually become enjoyable, cause I'm thinking of dumping this on eBay and going back to Yakuza.

- The movement is so fucking slow.
- Why is the text so tiny?
- I don't like Arthur's voice actor at all
- The controls just feel like there's molasses in everything. Auto aim is pretty much mandatory
- I haven't done a single interesting thing. At all. I've spent most of my time moving slowly and talking to characters I don't give a shit about it.
- Why is every animation so damn slow? Why can't I loot all when I open a cabinet?
- The horse system is stupid. Why can't I just carry all my stuff instead of having to keep it all in my horse? Why can't I just call my horse from anywhere and have him come? It discourages me from getting off my horse and exploring.
- The menus are just clunky and feel like they were designed 5 years ago by someone who hasn't played a game since
- The image quality on the PS4 Pro is fuzzy as hell.

Honestly, this is starting to feel like GTA4. Tons of praise on release, but the game was actually dogshit, especially when compared to other open world games of the time, like Saints Row 2.

Im really finding a hard time to enjoy myself due to many gameplay decissioms. Exploring is indeed no fun due to not being able to call your horse.
And the horse system is annoying as hell..

I dont think the reviews are based on gameplay...

makaveli60

I found the intro awesome. R* just said fuck it, we do what we want to do, and made an awesome intro that establishes the story and the characters. I also found the slow intro in AC3 awesome. Shame that the majority of players don't value these things and just want to get into action immediately. That's why we don't have more games like this.

zwiggelbig

Haha the intro was indeed extremly slow and tedious. Lol i got really annoyed and was dissapointed in it. It was a forced tutorial that did not feel naturally due to the slowness..

Dude Abides

Banned
Yeah, I’m done. I’m not going to spend 40 hours fighting the controls in this. Too bad because the open world work is really fantastic, but i just can’t enjoy a game that seems designed to frustrate me for no good reason.

JimmyJones

Banned
The antagonize button is amazing! I followed Susan around the camp pressing it and Arthur said "I've had enough of you, you sour old hag!" Laughed my ass off I did.

Haven't started it yet, but from the general feedback I'm getting, this game seems to be a slow paced simulation more so than an action adventure. It is to rockstar games (like gta5) what Kingdom Come is to Skyrim. Details and immersion over quick thrills.

That said the control concerns are errr...deeply concerning. Don't tell me it controls like The Last of Us. Please don't. It's still sealed, I can return that puppy back to EB. I don't want to have to do that sniff.

People who just breezed through spider man and Assassins Creed and who recall fondly their gta5 and Red dead 1 are now complaining profusely about the walking, running speeds and general meticulous animations which add a lot of time to every action. But complaining about controls is most worrying of all.

My middle name is patience,. Kingdom come had a ~3 hour intro. As long as RDR2 has meat on those bones I don't mind a tedious start but dem controls you say....I am now afraid to open the game case. Did the games journalists dupe us AGAIN.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
My middle name is patience,. Kingdom come had a ~3 hour intro. As long as RDR2 has meat on those bones I don't mind a tedious start but dem controls you say....

I haven't played Kingdom Come, but this game has a long-ass intro chapter. I don't have a problem with the controls myself but I can see why people do. Having to hold down the right d-pad button for example to open my satchel. Why doesn't it open straight away, why do I have to hold the button? Stupid shit like that. There's a lot of holding the button down for stuff to happen.

My biggest problem with the game so far is the slow animation for picking things up/doing anything in general, and the forced walking in certain areas.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The terrible controls and slow movement are wearing me down the longer I play.

The world, characters and story have been enjoyable. The part where it is a game not so much.

Last edited:

Darak

Once the honeymoon period ends, I think he game is going to be very divisive. There are many control and UI issues and it is a really slow game, from the general pacing to the moment to moment action.

I tried to go into the game with low expectations since I'm not a fan of the previous one, but the fangirl reactions everywhere made that difficult. I've invested into the story and characters, so I'm enjoying it up to a point, but the overall experience is a mixed bag. Giving priority to realism over fun was a terrible idea, specially when the game still gives concessions to gameplay everywhere (you shrug off bullet wounds like nothing, are always carrying dozens of healing potions and a mobile phone in your pocket, kill hundreds of people in minutes, etc).

It is still a decent game with extremely high production values, but I'm less inclined to like it due to the hand-waving of its faults and 10/10 reviews everywhere.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
The terrible controls and slow movement are wearing me down the longer I play.

The world, characters and story have been enjoyable. The part where it is a game not so much.

Agreed. Hopefully they patch it later. Not sure why Arthur moves like an old man. I’m enjoying it but the movement speed is horrendous.

DavidGzz

I feel like the complainers are similar to the people who complain about Dark Souls. It's too hard, not enough hand holding etc. If you don't like this game go back to more shallow games. I'm glad that FromSoftware doesn't cater to people who want an easy mode and I'm glad this game doesn't cater to impatient gamers. Sorry if you were burned because you bought a digital copy, maybe who should have waited for the reviews and impressions. I know people can state their opinions I'm just stating my opinion of their opinion. :)

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I feel like the complainers are similar to the people who complain about Dark Souls. It's too hard, not enough hand holding etc. If you don't like this game go back to more shallow games. I'm glad that FromSoftware doesn't cater to people who want an easy mode and I'm glad this game doesn't cater to impatient gamers. Sorry if you were burned because you bought a digital copy, maybe who should have waited for the reviews and impressions. I know people can state their opinions I'm just stating my opinion of their opinion. :)

Dark Souls being hard makes it a lot of fun. I don’t find RDR2 hard at all. I haven’t even died yet. The controls and movement are just super awkward and clunky for today.

Silent Duck

Man, I feel like if you didn't love it from the get-go, quit trying, it isn't for you. Similar to how some people can't get into Dark Souls while others think it's a top 5 game of all time, some people just won't be able to get into this. I personally think it's incredible, in a league of its own for open world experiences.
I didn’t RDR1 when I first played it. A week later, it became one of my favorite games.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Nah, it’s not that.
Take the fist fighting for example, the response time is extremely poor, compare that to Naughty Dog who are absolute masters in close combat and this isn’t even on par with Naughty Dog of last gen.

The game is also no where near as good gameplay wise as Horizon - Zero Dawn either. It’s amazing how good GG hit the gameplay and fluidity out of the park.

Complaining about clunky controls isn't the same thing as complaining about difficulty.

I think this will turn out just like RDR and all GTAs for me. I really enjoy seeing what they have to offer as far as exploration, story, and playing through some of the side content, and then I'm over them. I love Rockstar games when I'm looking at fresh content and hate them every time I go back because of the awful controls. I tried to get back into RDR1 several times recently and I just kept thinking what a damn shame it is that they never nail the controls because there is so much else to love about the game.

And holy apples and oranges comparing complaints about this to complaints about Souls games.

Last edited:

Wunray

This game is amazing, I got robbed twice for being so gullible both times I was scared stiff cause I didn't see it coming and it was so awesome where a side quest started because of my actions earlier. BoTW has better horse mechanics though.

Serious question. Anyway to shut my PS4 the fuck up. It's so loud it wakes people in my house up. Dead set like a vacuum. Can I somehow limit the fan to 80% I don't fucking care if it goes over 60C.

Is there a quiet fan I can install? A mod for a heat sink. Better thermal paste? What options do I have because fuck it's so aggrevating in this game. It's rocking 100% near all the time unless I pause.

DavidGzz

Nah, it’s not that.
Take the fist fighting for example, the response time is extremely poor, compare that to Naughty Dog who are absolute masters in close combat and this isn’t even on par with Naughty Dog of last gen.
The game is also no where near as good gameplay wise as Horizon - Zero Dawn either. It’s amazing how good GG hit the gameplay and fluidity out of the park.

It's serviceable but definitely not a focus for Rockstar. It's weird to hear complaints on melee combat and then see someone praise Horizon. It has the worst combat of most open world games. The ranged combat is good though.

And holy apples and oranges comparing complaints about this to complaints about Souls games.

Sure, the games are way different, my example was just about devs catering to everyone. They don't have to and I think these games are better for it. Dark Souls because it's difficulty makes it and the slow realistic looting and other actions in RDR2 because it makes you feel like Arthur exists in this world. It makes it an immersive experience and that is what Rockstar is going for.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
It's serviceable but definitely not a focus for Rockstar. It's weird to hear complaints on melee combat and then see someone praise Horizon. It has the worst combat of most open world games. The ranged combat is good though.

The close combat in Horizon was at least fluid in terms of responsiveness though. It just wasn’t deep.

evanft

I keep trying to give this game a chance, but I can't find a single aspect of the gameplay that's actually enjoyable or makes me want to keep playing. It's like every system in the game is just so damn shitty.

Vawn

Banned

I'm one of those complaining and Souls games are my favorite games ever. I'm not seeing your connection.

For everyone complainging about aiming and tapping x. Go into controls and adjust it. There are some assists in there that help a lot.

Coming straight from GoW where the controls are smooth as butter to this is a huge disappointment. I’m only a couple hours in and the pace is a chore so far. I’m hoping it gets better.

AJ Gaming

Neo Member
I love how they make us "work" for sprinting. Makes it more natrual and it feels better for me. If you only needed to hold button to sprint everyone would do it and how often do you see people sprinting in Wallmart, Starbucks etc?
This game is not about rushing. Take your time and drink coffee and just have a great moment and enjoy.
Also I think I would hate it in Online if everyone was sprinting all the time. Would looked stupid and not feeling right for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom