• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

I was really bummed out when I found out freeroam had way less npc's and none of those random coinsurance. It was still great and I understand the technological limitations of syncing a fully realized game world with npc's to 16 players online but still...

ARXIN said:
I was really bummed out when I found out freeroam had way less npc's and none of those random coinsurance. It was still great and I understand the technological limitations of syncing a fully realized game world with npc's to 16 players online but still...

Yeah, as someone who was had high hopes, free roam didn't live up to em. Really though, it's impossible on the current hardware, with how RDR looks, to just place the singleplayer world in 16 player free roam multiplayer. The fact that they even get 16 people on the entire map is a feat in itself.

NEXT GEN PLEASE.

mlarine said:
Faced with a dilemna, buy GOTY edition for 50, or get a used copy of the original for 15$?

Wouldnt it be cheaper to buy it used and then buy all the dlc separatly? It probably isnt but if it is why not go down that route?

Dakota47

bobs99 ... said:
Wouldnt it be cheaper to buy it used and then buy all the dlc separatly? It probably isnt but if it is why not go down that route?

You don't really need all that multiplayer DLC imo. The base game suffices really and if you want to play the zombie singleplayer DLC that's only a tenner. I'd buy used.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Decided to start up my save game again after months of not playing. I'm currently
back with the wife/son on the ranch
. How much left would you say I have in the story if I don't free roam too much?

Tomodachi

Bad_Boy said:
Decided to start up my save game again after months of not playing. I'm currently
back with the wife/son on the ranch
. How much left would you say I have in the story if I don't free roam too much?
Just a few short missions left, you can see the ending in a single session.
You basically left the game less than an hour of gameplay before the ending, how come? :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Tomodachi said:
Just a few short missions left, you can see the ending in a single session.
You basically left the game less than an hour of gameplay before the ending, how come? :)
Not really sure. Put the game off for a week. A week turned into two. Two turned into months. etc.

lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Beat the game. Enjoyed the ending. I'm sitting at 87%. So many trophies and things I still need to get for 100%. It's kind of insane of how much value this game has.

The guy that sits next to me at work is playing this game because of me and listening to him talk about it every day is bringing back all the memories I had when I first played.

such an amazing experience and in my top 5 games of all time.

I hope that someday we get a sequel.

bow R*

CountAntonius said:

I don't know, those random things get seriously annoying after a while, especially when the rewards aren't worth it.

I got a "they're going to hang my so-and-so" event, which is normally fine, except it happened in the middle of Tall Trees and the bears that got dragged along massacred everyone there.

I didn't realize getting jumped by eight bears in a row was a bug. o_O

Was this posted yet?

Question: What is Hardcore mode in Red Dead Redemption?

Answer: Hardcore mode increases both the difficulty and realism of the Red Dead Redemption Single Player experience. This mode is exclusive to the Game of the Year edition of Red Dead Redemption for both Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Here is a list of notable changes:

Aiming is permanently set to Expert.
Maximum health is reduced by half.
Health regenerates more slowly and begins refilling after a longer delay.
Dead-eye does not automatically fill over time. It must be earned by killing enemies or using items.
Horses do not regenerate. If killed, you must purchase, steal, mount, or break another horse and then hitch it to a post to earn the right to call it by whistling. Note that horse deeds are still available and unlimited, but twice as expensive.
Store items cost more. Sell values are lowered.
Reward/drops/looting amounts are lowered (ammunition and money).
Pardon letters are more rare.
Fame and Honor gains are reduced.
Mini-game buy-ins are lowered to match the scarcity of money.
Warhorse deed must be purchased for $10,000 (available in any General Store).
Deadly Assassin outfit increases the amount of Deadeye gained from kills, rather than over-time regeneration.

Note that Hardcore is only available in the normal Red Dead Redemption campaign -- Undead Nightmare is unaffected.

I'm kinda exited to get my hands on the GOTY. Luckily, thehut honored my preorder for 17€ :)

Only borrowed the original game from a buddy. I finished it, but I still hope the savegame works in the GOTY. I guess you can't just switch midgame to hardcore mode though?
Haven't played Undead yet, as I was already expecting a GOTY version. So I will sink my teeth mainly in that and maybe try out a bit of that mp DLC.

Yeah, I loved Red Dead but this just seems unfair. The people who support and loved the game the most have to buy it all over again to get this new mode? Why screw with your most loyal customers?

Tomodachi

Well yeah, they should have released a DLC with hardcore mode. That would have been a lot more fair to fans who already bought all the previous DLCs.
Since I've bought none I think I will get the GOTY version as soon as I find a decent deal (not interested in MP and undead nightmare would be cheaper than the whole package right now).

Anyway, I was just listening to the original soundtrack. It's so fuckin great.

Tomodachi said:
Well yeah, they should have released a DLC with hardcore mode. That would have been a lot more fair to fans who already bought all the previous DLCs.

Something like that should just be a patch to the regular game. The bulk of the released DLC is multiplayer anyway.

Finally finished the single player game last night, what a sad ending. :(

Tizoc

Are the DLC on PSN region free? I have the Asia ver. of RDR GotY, will DLCs I got from US or EU PSN work with it?

red731

Ola, Amigos!

I will get the GotY on Monday, Tuesday at most and if anyone would like to play coop or MP then add me! Info in profile!

Can't wait! Oh, btw, great OT!

Can anyone with the 360 GOTY confirm for me how it works? Is it just the regular game on one disc and multiplayer/Undead on the second disc and that second disc works independently of the first, meaning I would have to switch discs to play that content? Or can I install the second disc and have access to everything without having to switch discs? If it is the latter, can the second disc be installed on multiple consoles? Thanks.

deim0s

Tizoc said:
Are the DLC on PSN region free? I have the Asia ver. of RDR GotY, will DLCs I got from US or EU PSN work with it?
I don't think so. Can anyone confirm?

Wait, you already have the GOTY, which has everything on it. You don't have to d/l anything for it.

pakkit

Banned
JimWood27 said:
Can anyone with the 360 GOTY confirm for me how it works? Is it just the regular game on one disc and multiplayer/Undead on the second disc and that second disc works independently of the first, meaning I would have to switch discs to play that content? Or can I install the second disc and have access to everything without having to switch discs? If it is the latter, can the second disc be installed on multiple consoles? Thanks.
It's the first option. Red Dead and it's single player (non-Undead) DLC is on disc one.

Undead Nightmare is on disc two.

pakkit said:
It's the first option. Red Dead and it's single player (non-Undead) DLC is on disc one.

Undead Nightmare is on disc two.
Maybe I should be more specific with my issues. My brother has the regular game, the free DLC and the Undead pack. I ordered the GOTY edition so could we install either disc 1 or 2 (whichever one has Legends/Killers & Liars/Cheats on it) on his console so he has that content and he goes back to using just his regular disc and then I can use the GOTY edition on my console? Or are the discs on the GOTY edition set up so that wouldnt be possible, as you need to switch discs when doing multiplayer?

Wow, the game is a breath of fresh air on Hardcore. I tried it out while 1/3 of the way through on Normal (because to be honest while the atmosphere was fab, the missions were far too easy)

Should i restart the game from the beginning on Hardcore?

todahawk

Anyone else on PS3 having freezing issues since upgrading to 1.07? Both SP for vanilla RDR and Undead Nightmare freeze up something horrible.

It was doing it right at the main menu or right after loading but I did the whole game data wipe, rebuild db and file system fix and then complete reinstall but it didn't help much. I can play a few minutes before it freezes now but still basically unplayable.

I might have done a step on the wipe out of proper order but I'm having zero problems with other games like Dark Souls and BF3 or anything else I've played.

I'm about ready to snag the GOTY edition but I hate to spend $45 again, especially after missing the $29 sale at BB... :(

red731

This game man, this game!!!

I played it for jst three hours and I get so easily distracted by random things in desert that I cant even get to town to get a mission....since there are mission virtualy everywhere!

This game is like...the biggest OCD/ADHD ever... -

"must run to sheriff, oh look, berries"
continues
"animals here attacking a person"
continues
"someone is hanging someone"
continues
"wild berries"
"armadillo pack"
"fucking jaguar attacking me"
"hey this looks familiar *check tressure map, hey hanging rock is first, where are the second four rocks"

I think I even saved some bad guy from cops....sometimes I dont know who is who and who should I shot.

Also - can I shoot the hangrope? To save the poor soul hanging there?

I really dig this game!

red731 said:

I played it for jst three hours and I get so easily distracted by random things in desert that I cant even get to town to get a mission....since there are mission virtualy everywhere!

continues
continues
continues
"wild berries"
"armadillo pack"
"hey this looks familiar *check tressure map, hey hanging rock is first, where are the second four rocks"

I think I even saved some bad guy from cops....sometimes I dont know who is who and who should I shot.

I really dig this game!
It really is interesting how differently everyone plays a game like this. I was able to go from mission to mission and really only got sidetracked by a Stranger mission here and there that would pop up on the map while my brother played much more like you, going for several hours without really 'doing' anything. He was more worried about doing the Hunter/Sharpshooter etc. challenges and shooting any animal he found or playing Poker/Finger Filet over and over again while I sat there yelling 'Do an F-ing mission!'

Fjordson

red731 said:

continues
continues
continues
"wild berries"
"armadillo pack"

I really dig this game!
Haha, this is how I played it. Such a well realized world with so much going on.

And yeah, you can shoot the rope if you happen upon a hanging. I'd hit dead eye so you can nail it first try, you don't get much time.

red731

JimWood27 said:
It really is interesting how differently everyone plays a game like this. I was able to go from mission to mission and really only got sidetracked by a Stranger mission here and there that would pop up on the map while my brother played much more like you, going for several hours without really 'doing' anything. He was more worried about doing the Hunter/Sharpshooter etc. challenges and shooting any animal he found or playing Poker/Finger Filet over and over again while I sat there yelling 'Do an F-ing mission!'

Haha yeah, you can get easily distracted with everything the world throws at you.
I just finished the
mission when Eli comes into marshalls office to clean the gang hideout place
The game is really immersive and I like John more and more, same as Bonnie.
This will cut some time from Battlefield 3, that is for sure! AND I LOVE IT!

When I am playing and dad is watching(cause there is never on the TV, he preffers the movie I am playing - like this game, uncharted, etc..) I am doing mission so the game doesn't just stall, but alone, I like to check, explore and just try and remember the places in envirnoment for my journeys.

Also, the first
race with Bonnie - I was near the end the first time when I jumped over that bridge and must've done it again :D:D

Fjordson said:
Haha, this is how I played it. Such a well realized world with so much going on.

And yeah, you can shoot the rope if you happen upon a hanging. I'd hit dead eye so you can nail it first try, you don't get much time.

My first hanged man teached me that I don't have much time :D
And I surely would use dead aim on that rope to get some seconds and save a person for fame and honor.

I can't wait to get home to play more!

Good that I can barely move from that floorball session yesterday - I can chill with my Horse. I am hoping I will get laso soon. But don't tell me when!

JimWood27 said:

I guess they learnt their lessons well from GTA IV.

The only problem is that there really is no real penalty for death (other than losing save progress), so you don't really think twice about helping people or doing other side quests. If for example, you lost your guns/money as NPCs do when they die, there would be really be more of moral choice whether to help others.

Fjordson

Also, don't forget to do the Stranger missions. Those had some of the best characters and mini-stories in the entire game. Great stuff.

Fjordson said:
Also, don't forget to do the Stranger missions. Those had some of the best characters and mini-stories in the entire game. Great stuff.
Totally agree. I would take the Stranger missions over nearly everything that happens in Mexico.

red731

I have already did two stranger missions. I don't want to be at work..
I want to do...everything.

I like how polite people that time were. I wouldn't mind calling girls now Ms. Surname, but it is not that time anymore...

sad

red731 said:
I have already did two stranger missions. I don't want to be at work..
I want to do...everything.

I like how polite people that time were. I wouldn't mind calling girls now Ms. Surname, but it is not that time anymore...

sad
Thank you kindly, Ms. MacFarlane.
You are welcome, Mr. Marston.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
When I was drunk and stoned, I rescued a woman. She thanked me kindly for saving her life and started to walk away. I then lassoed her and put her on my horse. We rode around together until I found a nice little secluded underground room in an abandoned town.

I lifted her off the horse and carried her down into the room, which was lit by a small oil lamp, it was nice. I then shot her in the legs while she was still tied up on the floor and she screamed. Wondering what else to do, I looked at the lamp remembering that they ignite when shot. I shot the lamp which exploded and set her on fire, her screams echoed in the room and when she was almost done I shot her in the head.

5/5 for this game lol. Most fucked up thing I have ever done in a game.

deim0s

Was wondering if the other (undiscovered) outfits are better than the assassins outfit? I'm guessing refilling dead-eye is better than wearing anything else in the game.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
When I was drunk and stoned, I rescued a woman. She thanked me kindly for saving her life and started to walk away. I then lassoed her and put her on my horse. We rode around together until I found a nice little secluded underground room in an abandoned town.

I lifted her off the horse and carried her down into the room, which was lit by a small oil lamp, it was nice. I then shot her in the legs while she was still tied up on the floor and she screamed. Wondering what else to do, I looked at the lamp remembering that they ignite when shot. I shot the lamp which exploded and set her on fire, her screams echoed in the room and when she was almost done I shot her in the head.

1316618127920.jpg

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

Say "no" to drugs.

red731

Not sure if serious...

...or just morbid killer

edit: shaking work desk violently, must, be, home! ugh
wasn't so hyped to play a game like this for a long time!

Top Bottom