• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Jon

I was randomly thinking about this game yesterday, and how much I enjoyed it. I have been looking for a new game to dive into, but instead I think I might just fire this up and try to finish any of the challenges I never completed.

Andrew.

Banned
I just picked thisd game up and as said by a previous member..."why did i wait so long?" I love how it feels...i love how it looks...i love how it sounds. I just wanna get the hell out of work so i can go home and get back to exploring new austin.

Mxrz

I'm a little confused here.

I bought the Undead Nightmare retail edition today thinking it'd give me everything the goty had (Maybe outside preorder stuff) since I've had RDR for years. Don't see any "You have ___ DLC" installed bits. Would've been handy.

Anyhow. Loving Undead Nightmare. Screw the real game, just make the sequel full of zombies.

Tomodachi

I'm a little confused here.

I bought the Undead Nightmare retail edition today thinking it'd give me everything the goty had (Maybe outside preorder stuff) since I've had RDR for years. Don't see any "You have ___ DLC" installed bits. Would've been handy.

Anyhow. Loving Undead Nightmare. Screw the real game, just make the sequel full of zombies.
The Undead Nightmare retail edition is not the GOTY edition with all of the DLCs, it just contains the Undead Nightmare.

Mxrz

The Undead Nightmare retail edition is not the GOTY edition with all of the DLCs, it just contains the Undead Nightmare.

The rest of the DLC seems to be on there, it just isn't listed in the main menu for whatever reason. I goofed around with some of the new things online last night.

I tried a couple games of multiplayer poker. But one guy in the group always had a winning hand of a pair or better. The few times I actually had something, he'd always have something better. Bit annoying.

Disappointed I missed another 3x period. Grinding xp seems pointless without it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm pretty disappointed that buying the Undead Nightmare add-on doesn't give you access to the standalone download.

I'd like to finally finish it, but I sold my retail copy of RDR long ago... no way I'm paying for the expansion twice just to get a zombie fix.

:(

Do need to play the main game before the Undead DLC?

The main game is lost in my eternal backlog, but I'd really like to jump on the Zombie game now.

This entire weekend is triple xp for those who are interested. I will be hoping on 360 throughout the weekend, "CelticKennedy". With playing this, Max Payne 3 multiplayer and GTA San Andreas, I'm having a huge Rockstar weekend!

rataplein

hey guys, sorry for the necrobump, but i'm having an issue with the game, and maybe one of you can give me some advice.

i played the goty version of the, and i did it on the hardcore mode.

i already 100% the main game and the undead dlc, and now i'm just finishing all the offline trophies.

the only one left is: man of honor, wich requires having the highest fame and highest honor.

the problem with hardcore it's that fame and honor gains are reduced.

near the end of the main game i got the highest honor, but fame it's almost impossible.

today after playing the game for almost 40 hours, and doing EVERYTHING... i started to do duels (cheating on purpose at poker tables) to disarm them. that gives me 50 of fame each disarm.

i was almost at gunslinger level... so after 20 duels (really annoying) i got to the "gunslinger" fame...
i'm still far away from legend, wich is the highest fame possible.

so anyone had any problem like this?. it looks that is almost impossible to reach highest fame in hardcore mode. the bar move so little with each +50 fame that is just stupid.

i don't know what to do!.

What are the odds of getting people around for MP? Specifically, Xbox 360 in my case. I'd like to give it a shot but I'd rather not deal with complete randoms if possible. In the past, I've found it difficult to get groups of gaffers together for MP, especially when it comes to older games.

I replaced my normal RDR copy I got at launch and replaced it with GOTY edition to get access to all the DLC. I noticed 2 things, when I loaded my save, I had a different horse and did they fix the no skinning animation when your close to your horse bug in this version? If they did, I'll be really disappointed. So far everytime I've tried, I've failed to prevent the animation.

Edit: never mind on the animation glitch. I got it to work. I must not have positioned my horse quite right previously. That's a relief.

Jhoan

What are the odds of getting people around for MP? Specifically, Xbox 360 in my case. I'd like to give it a shot but I'd rather not deal with complete randoms if possible. In the past, I've found it difficult to get groups of gaffers together for MP, especially when it comes to older games.

Damn man it almost feels like you're having a dialogue with yourself. I subscribe to the thread so to answer your question, it's definitely pretty tough to invite a group to play like you said. Do you have the meta tag added? I've dealt with my share of randoms in the past; particularly in playing the co-op mode missions. I typically keep my mic off otherwise. I suppose I would be down (360 here). It sucks that the interest in this game isn't there any more though; it died a while ago.

I'm on PS3, sorry man.

No problem. It was a shot in the dark.

Damn man it almost feels like you're having a dialogue with yourself. I subscribe to the thread so to answer your question, it's definitely pretty tough to invite a group to play like you said. Do you have the meta tag added? I've dealt with my share of randoms in the past; particularly in playing the co-op mode missions. I typically keep my mic off otherwise. I suppose I would be down (360 here). It sucks that the interest in this game isn't there any more though; it died a while ago.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Meta tag? You mean a silver account created to use the friend of a friend feature? I don't have it friended but is it still actually active? Thanks for the reply by the way. I know this thread is far from active at this point. A shame really, this game is a god damned masterpiece.

Also, I've just been reminded how awful Deadeye Level 2 is. I'd level 1 the game it would let me.

Jhoan

Yeah, that's what I figured. Meta tag? You mean a silver account created to use the friend of a friend feature? I don't have it friended but is it still actually active? Thanks for the reply by the way. I know this thread is far from active at this point. A shame really, this game is a god damned masterpiece.

Also, I've just been reminded how awful Deadeye Level 2 is. I'd level 1 the game it would let me.
Yeah, GAF Read not Dead. I don't think it's managed any more but it still exists I believe. It would have been nice to get a GAF MP game of Liar's Dice and Poker going. A tournament of sorts. The MP in this game is still to this day amazing. Well, if you ever wanna posse up, my GT is Johan El Fuerte. It's been a while since I played the MP.

It's been ages since I played through the single player but yeah Dead Eye Level 2 was awful. Thank heavens that Dead Eye Level 3 was a godsend because of the ability to manually and precisely paint your targets. Playing through Call of Juarez: Gunslinger reminds me of this game a lot. The Wild West is such a fascinating time.

Pachimari

Reading this thread really makes me consider picking up Read Dead Redemption. I have never played it myself.

I can get the original game today or wait until tomorrow and pay $9 more for both RDR and Undead (GOTY edition). But I don't know if I should go for PS3 or 360. I have a 1080p TV and the 360 version is apparently higher res, while I can't play online on my Xbox 360.

Reading this thread really makes me consider picking up Read Dead Redemption. I have never played it myself.

I can get the original game today or wait until tomorrow and pay $9 more for both RDR and Undead (GOTY edition). But I don't know if I should go for PS3 or 360. I have a 1080p TV and the 360 version is apparently higher res, while I can't play online on my Xbox 360.

Definitely get the GOTY edition but as far as the platform goes, your understandings are correct. The game looks noticeably better and at least at launch performed better on 360 but without XBox live, you'll miss out on MP. You'll have to decide if MP is something you want to try. It is a unique MP experience that can be a ton of fun. It is unfortunate that you have to deal with one trade off or the other but I think only you can make that call.

Pachimari

Yeah I'll eventually go PS3. The multiplayer experience is more important to me than resolution, if people are still playing it online.

I just experienced the arrival into Mexico properly for the first time. Incredible moment.
When I originally played it around launch, I whistled for my horse instead of using the horse supplied at the end of the mission, which prevents the song from playing or at least it did back when I first played the game.

Tomodachi

I just experienced the arrival into Mexico properly for the first time. Incredible moment.
When I originally played it around launch, I whistled for my horse instead of using the horse supplied at the end of the mission, which prevents the song from playing or at least it did back when I first played the game.

That happened to me as well, I was so disappointed when I found out, lol. One more reason to go through the game again soon I guess!

Dead Man

Yeah, some odd design decisions for sure that really meant some people missed out on same amazing moments.

I missed out on it because I brought my map up before crossing the bridge or something like that. Had no idea what people were fawning over until I watched a Youtube video of it.

So I bought it for really cheap on an XBL deal. I feel like an ass for waiting this long.

This game is freaking spectacular. It has a great story and is still a very fun game. Emphasis on game. Just wandering out into the desert at night is more game than most can hope to be.

It has some pretty bad aliasing at times, but overall it's by far the best looking open world game I've played (still haven't played GTAV) but the way the light plays around with the scenery, the unbelievable storms. I haven't been this in love with a videogame in a long time. I mean Dragon's Dogma was fun. Fun enough that I've put 200 hours into it already, but this... this is something I can't see ever getting old.

There's always going to be hunting to do.

Fjordson

So I bought it for really cheap on an XBL deal. I feel like an ass for waiting this long.

This game is freaking spectacular. It has a great story and is still a very fun game. Emphasis on game. Just wandering out into the desert at night is more game than most can hope to be.

It has some pretty bad aliasing at times, but overall it's by far the best looking open world game I've played (still haven't played GTAV) but the way the light plays around with the scenery, the unbelievable storms. I haven't been this in love with a videogame in a long time. I mean Dragon's Dogma was fun. Fun enough that I've put 200 hours into it already, but this... this is something I can't see ever getting old.

There's always going to be hunting to do.
Glad you're enjoying it. Still my favourite game from last gen. And yeah, other than the aliasing it's still a great looking game I think. Have you encountered a big storm yet?

The rumble of the thunder, the flash of the lightning, the rain effects on the ground and on Marston's clothes...so awesome.

Glad you're enjoying it. Still my favourite game from last gen. And yeah, other than the aliasing it's still a great looking game I think. Have you encountered a big storm yet?

The rumble of the thunder, the flash of the lightning, the rain effects on the ground and on Marston's clothes...so awesome.

Yep.

I'm actually almost done lol. Sitting at around 90% just finished the
death of John and started looking for Ross as Jack.

This is very easily one of my favorite games of the generation. Wish my 360 pads worked better though. The only one with all working face buttons has an extreme amount of drift on the left analog stick.

hort22

hey GAF late to the party on this one but finally have the game coming...what kind of size am i looking at to update the game to the latest 1.07 patch?

Edit: lol it's only 23 MB

Just bought the game a third time, this time the GOTY Edition for the 360. Previously got it on launch for the PS3 and later the GOTY Edition for the PS3. I'd buy it again if it ever came to PC or PS4.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, I guess the game is hacked to shit now?

I rebought the game on PS3 (goty edition) and jumped into MP, spawned on the farm and shot some npc on the floor (dont ask why lol) and the whole screen went crazy and I started levelling up like insanely fast and got 3 trophies in the process, shut down the game... Apparently this is a known issue. That plus it took ages to load into Free Roam.

Shame :\

Tigress

Ok, so I'm late to the party playing this game. Just started. I got a question about horses. If you gain a horse's loyalty that you have the deed to, if he dies and you use the deed to bring out another horse, do you have to regain that loyalty? Does the deed give you a completely new horse or does it regen the same horse as the one before?

Man, I can't wait to write a LTTP on this game. It's definitely been a rollercoaster of a ride; played it for a few hours, initially found it boring and kept falling asleep, then stopped playing. Come back 7 months later and it's "clicked". What a fantastic game, and you enjoy it more once you appreciate what the game's about and what it's trying to do.

Unfortunately I got the ending spoiled for me :( Guess that's what happens when you haven't played a game that came out 5 years ago lol.

Hale-XF11

Hi, it's 6 years later and I'm playing this game for the first time ever.

I was stoned and impulse bought this on ebay for $8 (360 version). I didn't realize it came with all the DLC, so that's cool, I'm happy about that.

First impression: WOW! This game is beaaauuuuutiful! Welp, time to dive in...

Vic_Viper

Looking to buy the GOTY version used at GameStop on PS3. Can anyone tell me what comes on the disc and what is a DLC code. Is undead nightmare DLC or on the disk?

Top Bottom