• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit speculation: Rockstar are developing open-world game with medieval setting

Orta

Banned
GTA VI in 2024?

By that time we'll be wondering what Sony have in store with the PS6, nevermind 5.

Stuart360

All of this sounds believable. Shame there was no mention of a PC version of RDR2 when talking about the next gen remaster.

GTA VI in 2024?

By that time we'll be wondering what Sony have in store with the PS6, nevermind 5.

Falls right in line with the schedule of releasing a game near the end of a console lifecycle so they can make it crossgen with a remaster

Foxbat

Banned
Here's my take assuming this is legit... Which it's probably not.

If they're working on a remaster, it either won't take many people, or it won't take much time. We're still far enough out from next gen, that they could put only a few people on it, and they'd have plenty of time to complete it. I personally doubt they are even touching a remaster yet, because post launch bug fixing is priority number one right now. Priority two is ensuring that RDR2 Online is ready to go. This would involve pre launch bug fixing, and anti money expliot finding.

If R* plan on a Bully 2, it would make a ton of sense to keep it small compared to RDR2 and GTA. 2020 seems doable if it is indeed a smaller scale game. The Bully 2 rumors flying around lately though... It's really anyone's guess.

GTAVI should be well under way by now by a second team. R* marches to a different beat when it comes to release schedules. I imagine the main determining factors in how soon we see the next GTA depends on a couple of things...
•If RDR2 Online takes off and becomes wildly successful with tons of Armadillo Card sales, it might be awhile.
•If GTAO remains popular, and Shark Card sales continue, it might be awhile.
•If much of the GTAO population moves on to RDR2 Online, but then move on to something else after a year, we might get the next GTA sooner rather than later. RDR2 Online has the potential to be huge at first, stripping the GTAO playerbase, but dropping off earlier due to the slower pace/nature of RDR. R* would likely want to push GTA out asap if that were to happen.

Last edited:

Joe T.

td46wxY.gif

At least I don't want to. Dan Houser's recent words certainly didn't inspire any confidence, salt in the wound after the Leslie Benzies firing. GTA's easily my favorite series, I would hate to think that it could be another six years before we see a new game.

Xiaoki

Just like GTA V, and almost like RDR2 now.
"....almost like RDR2"
Almost?! What do you consider "almost"?

GTA5 released 2 months before the next gen consoles.
How far away are the next gen consoles from RDR2s release? 1 year? Maybe 2 years.
2 months and 2 years are almost alike right?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sounds like a waste of resources working on a remaster given the game will most likely be backwards compatible.
How many changes could they possibly put in to make the purchase worthy?

Decent control scheme? Hurr hurr hurr

EDIT: Actually a VR remaster could probably sell a few copies...

Last edited:

Stuart360

Sounds like a waste of resources working on a remaster given the game will most likely be backwards compatible.
How many changes could they possibly put in to make the purchase worthy?

Decent control scheme? Hurr hurr hurr

EDIT: Actually a VR remaster could probably sell a few copies...
Well it worked for GTA5.

psn

Lul, anyone really fell for this?

GTA V released 2013
GTA VI is coming 2024? 11 years later? ELEVEN! YEARS AFTER GTA V

Sounds legit.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think Rockstar is going to want to release GTA on PS4 and XBOX, so they can release a remaster version 2 years later on PS5 and NextBOX. I also expect RDR2 to be re released on PS5 and the next XBOX of course.

Stuart360

True, but the situation is a bit different where GTAV couldn't be played on current gen machines without a remaster.
Well if the next gen version is a sizeable jump (better graphics, possible 60fps, etc) then i'm sure many people will buy the next gen version. I mean you take the PC space for example, tons of games get remasters/remakes even though you could already have the orig game in your Steam account. I'm sure it will be similar to that on next gen.

TLZ

Banned
"....almost like RDR2"
Almost?! What do you consider "almost"?

GTA5 released 2 months before the next gen consoles.
How far away are the next gen consoles from RDR2s release? 1 year? Maybe 2 years.
2 months and 2 years are almost alike right?
Too much time on your hands?

Kimd41

Neo Member
I call bull.

GTA is their star and cashcow title. Starting the development on VI now would be very risky move, because if RDR2 turned out to be a flop, they could damage control with GTA VI and recover.

Also 10 - 11 years between GTAs is too much.

vpance

I believe it. The key to R* success is to double down on scope/size/budget for hype and let the games sell for years. So a next gen GTA taking that long makes sense. RDR2 will be an appetizer in comparison.

Plus, they aren't going to release the next GTA to a tiny launch user base. Around mid of the gen in 2023-4 will maximize sales.

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
Why on earth would they prioritize their efforts on Bully 2 over a new GTA? No way i'm believing this. GTA is their cash cow.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, these sequels do take shitloads of time by now. Same with TES. We went from 2 new entries last gen to barely a remaster this gen. I can't believe I'm actually wishing back shorter dev cycles. Shit takes so long. I'm not getting any younger you know and the older I get, the less time I have for games.

Von Hugh

Lul, anyone really fell for this?

GTA V released 2013
GTA VI is coming 2024? 11 years later? ELEVEN! YEARS AFTER GTA V

Sounds legit.

GTA V (+ Online) has been and still is a massive cash cow for Rockstar. They don't have any pressure to release another any time soon.

Also; Read Dead Redemption 1 came out 8 years ago. Eleven years between a massive hit that still sells and a fully fledged and polished sequel for next generation of consoles is just realistic, really.

VulcanRaven

If this is true then it means that the next-gen consoles will not be backwards compatible. I hope they will be.

Last edited:

Dunki

givien what he said about that he is happy not to release a GTA in this time I think its very plausible. A new Bully? I wonder how this would work with the Political correctness crowd.

VulcanRaven

I'm disappointed that we might not get a new GTA game on this gen. I played GTA V on Xbox 360. I hope they make a sequel to L.A. Noire.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Obviously this is still speculation, but why are people surprised that the wait until GTA VI is going to be so long? They just released one of the most successful media products of all time, they don't need to rush in getting another flagship title out. It's taken them 8 years to create something as massive as RDR2 - if GTA VI is going to be even bigger, it's going to need more time. Just look at Rockstar's history of game releases, these things are taking longer and longer to make as they get more complex. An 11 year gap between GTA titles would not be surprising at all.

Also, I think I can die happy after Bully 2... assuming it's real.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
All of this sounds believable. Shame there was no mention of a PC version of RDR2 when talking about the next gen remaster.

It's reads almost too real. Like scary believable even. GTA VI kinda needs to be pushed that far out. We needed time to miss it. And with GTA V online and with the way it's selling, it's still too soon to put the next game out. And lets be honest.....Rockstar needs a true 3 game rotation of games that are the star. RDR and GTA are not enough.

No clue how legit, but I love the sound of a Bully 2 that is only slightly bigger than the first game. There was so much charm and care packed into the first one, and I think the map being small but handcrafted contributed greatly to that.

My only thing is that the game might be weird with good modern graphics... So much of the game was juvenile hijinx, which might not translate very well to something like 4k RDR2 level graphics.

LostDonkey

I have a hard time believing that they "began work on a remaster".

The asssets will already be above what these consoles can handle and will be scaled down accordingly. Id have thought the "remaster" /top end build would already be in place. Wouldn't artists shoot above with assets anyway?

Its like the GTAV "Remaster". I personally believe it would have the original version and it was scaled down for PS3/360 leaving them to release the proper version for this gen 4/one.

I may be completely wrong I dunno but it seems idiotic to have to scale up and basically make a game twice that releases so soon of each other. I mean were not talking a 10 year gap remaster here.

Nymphae

Banned
I missed Bully (skipped it because it wasn't something I wanted to spend time with) and sort of want them to work on something else. Like Max Payne.

Top Bottom