• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit speculation: Rockstar are developing open-world game with medieval setting

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I can't see Rockstar's themes in a medieval setting. Then again, Bully also sounded like the rantings of a madman having fever dreams before it came out.

Assuming they don't get lazy with the controls again, I could be excited for such a game from Rockstar.

GTA London 1550
HfqtHIv.png

Ethereals

Neo Member
On first glance the only thing i can think about is how much money they can put into this... but then if i actually think about it, Rockstar has insane issues getting basic third person controlls and shooting right and feel good after ~5 tries... and they didnt get better at it..
I really really hope they hire some new guys because them making any kind of melee combat system when they cant pull of third person shooters is yeah.. lol

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Bully is totally irrelevant for european gamers. I never even played it so I don't care about sequel...
But medieval rdr could be interesting but I kinda fail to see how different it could be from rdr2

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm all in.

Except the fact that their melee system is a slow cluncky utter shit so how you traduce that on a melee system for medieval combat?

Pallas

I’d love for a Bully sequel
Instead but this could be interesting, just hope it’s not like a Elder Scrolls clone. Hopefully they stick to what they are good with.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I want Bully 2, GTA 6 can wait imo. But this sounds interesting.

Someone at work showed me Mordhau and it looks like so much fun. Im kinda hoping for a console port. Been avoiding building a pc lol.

Cock of War

Bully is totally irrelevant for european gamers. I never even played it so I don't care about sequel...
But medieval rdr could be interesting but I kinda fail to see how different it could be from rdr2

What do you mean "totally irrelevant"? Im european and Canis Canem Edit is one of my favourite Rockstar games. Would love a sequel.

abcdrstuv

Banned
It doesn't seem like their engine is built for it, but if they have a great "dueling" mechanic, it could be ok. There are places for them to go tonally that other "medieval" games haven't - Robert Baratheon seems like a very "Rockstar" character type.

OT, but on the subject of medieval games, it struck me after I played Far Cry Primal that the perfect B-side for that franchise would be some sort of "Far Cry: Sherwood", with color schemes like the old Warner Bros. Eroll Flynn, swords and bows, forest outposts etc.

GreyHorace

Hell yeah. I'm all for a medieval game and Rockstar's take on it. We've had one from Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed 1), a fantasy version from CD Projekt Red (The Witcher 3), let's see what twist the makers of GTA and Red Dead can bring to knights and nobility. There's a lot of potential for a gritty storylines that Rockstar is known in the High Middle Ages.

Myths

As long as there is a twist or excellent world background with fantasy elements to distinguish it from your LOTR/DD/DS/TES.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this makes sense. rockstar always released a litmus test game on the hardware before gta.
not really.

by the time GTA III came out on PS2 they (not even called Rockstar back then) had already released 4 games on it so they had plenty of experience working with the hardware before a GTA came out.

GTA IV was their first game for PS3 so it was an entirely new experience for them working with the console.

GTA V was their first game for PS4 and that was just a remaster. It seems they have skipped this entire generation as far as GTA goes (not including Online since it's technically part of V). If anything working on GTA V/Online helped them with RDR2.

So who knows what the hell is happening with GTA VI. I don't expect to see it on this generation of consoles. Probably early/mid next gen.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
not really.

by the time GTA III came out on PS2 they (not even called Rockstar back then) had already released 4 games on it so they had plenty of experience working with the hardware before a GTA came out.

GTA IV was their first game for PS3 so it was an entirely new experience for them working with the console.

GTA V was their first game for PS4 and that was just a remaster. It seems they have skipped this entire generation as far as GTA goes (not including Online since it's technically part of V). If anything working on GTA V/Online helped them with RDR2.

So who knows what the hell is happening with GTA VI. I don't expect to see it on this generation of consoles. Probably early/mid next gen.

exactly what i said.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Making a move to medieval games I think could be the cherry on the top, but right now I don't understand why Rockstar would it when you need all your assists focused on GTA, medieval may be a legit opportunity though.

Hudo

Well, would be interesting to see Rockstar beating Bethesda at their own game... which might be not too difficult...

Grand Theft Horse?

Hang on, but won't this just be Red Dead Redemption 3? (Edit: Cuz of the horses, not the Wild West.)

Last edited:
Perfect fit for Rockstar. With a suit of armor slowing you down now it will make sense when it takes ten seconds to pick up a piece of cheese.

Top Bottom