• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall has fewer players on Steam than Borderlands 2

Draugoth

Gold Member
HRFwx5t.jpg

After reaching a peak at launch of just 6,124 concurrent players, the Redfall player count on Steam has continued to diminish, falling below the 1,000 player mark on May 4. For some context, Arkane Austin’s previous game Prey peaked at 24,594 concurrent players, while the original Dishonored managed 19,938 at release back in 2012 and sister studio Arkane Lyon hit a respectable 20,094 when Deathloop launched. Even fellow co-op game Borderlands 2, now eleven years old, consistently pulls over 1,500 players.

There is one caveat here – the fact that the game was also released on Microsoft’s PC Game Pass service at launch. However, it’s nowhere to be seen among the “most popular” category on the PC Xbox app, and you have to scroll down all the way to spot number 270 on the Microsoft Store’s “most popular games on PC” list to spot it.

As a comparison point, alien FPS game High on Life also released on Steam and Game Pass simultaneously in 2022, yet managed to pull in 11,608 peak players on Steam and topped Minecraft to become the most popular game on the subscription service for a while. The game was also generally well received, while Redfall currently sits at just 30% positive Steam reviews.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Does this mean they paid for and downloaded the Steam version or does this also include Games for Windows Store Live! installs but launched through Steam?

Quantum253

I have a dumb question. This would only be players that purchased via Steam and would have no sense of GamerPass players, correct? On a side note, Borderlands 2 was amazing. Some of the best times with that multiplayer

MiguelItUp

Eeeesh, honestly, can't say I'm surprised as I'm sure majority of the players are all on Game Pass. Especially the ones that were at all curious. I feel bad for people that bought it considering that $70 price doesn't appear to feel justified.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Less than Borderlands?

Redfall has less players than Stronghold Crusader HD which peaks at about 1200-1400 players every day but the monthly peak is usually between 1700-2000.

A game that came out in 2001 and is probably the niche-est game I’ve ever played.

Vs a game with Microsoft’s considerable backing in terms of finance and advertising.

Lol.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Its not even top 50 on Xbox Live.....for a new "big" release....on Gamepass.....thats quite the achievement.

Will check tomorrow to see if the weekend gives it some numbers.
But right now its looking like the worst day and date Gamepass release.

Kurotri

Phil said that they'd be supporting Redfall the same way they did Sea of Thieves and honestly that's just not the right move imo. You fucked up, you owned it, move on now. No one is going to touch this ever, even with a 10 foot pole. It doesn't even have proper bones to work with unlike SoT.

feynoob

Banned
Why pay 70$, when it is available on gamepass pc. Plus no one wants to touch this trash.
it's worst reviews for Xbox game.

Mostly Negative (31% of 1,307) ALL TIME

Last edited:

dorkimoe

if i wasnt lazy id go back to my post from a year ago if not 2 years where i said this was going to bomb. STOP MAKING these coop style games

I have a dumb question. This would only be players that purchased via Steam and would have no sense of GamerPass players, correct? On a side note, Borderlands 2 was amazing. Some of the best times with that multiplayer

Yes, Steam players only.

Although I wouldn't expect a massive increase in players from Game Pass for this game, either.

if i wasnt lazy id go back to my post from a year ago if not 2 years where i said this was going to bomb. STOP MAKING these coop style games

RedFall's failure isn't due to being a coop game. It's due to being a heavily mediocre game with less advanced physics and environments than 360 launch games from 2005, that might've been the victim of abrupt and sudden interference involving management BTS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom