• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember the discussion about "asian people cannot see 3D"?

bender

What time is it?
alicia-silverstone-omg-im-totally-buggin.gif
giphy.gif

Banned

that background makes it really hard to make it out... took me ages to notice Simba standing on top of that slab on the bottom... I only saw the ground beneath him basically until I searched around and concentrated on the center more 😅 and the background art used for this makes it super hard to focus your eyes on details, at least for me

Last edited:

Banned
Can you be more specific?

you basically have to focus on a point behind the image, as if your screen is transparent and you're looking at something behind it.

a trick to more or less force it, if you can't do it on command, is to go right up to the image, your nose basically touching the screen. then focusing on a single point in the center of the image, and while you do that you move your head back super slowly, with your eyes not moving at all.

that only works on a large size image, so not really easy on a phone, but on anything the size of an A4 size page should work. I bet too big of a screen is also not good.

I didn't do it like that since I was a child tho, when I got a book full of these from my grandma.
after a while you learn to do it on command.
and once you can do it on command you can also watch glasses-less 3D stuff like this:

WagnerFinishedBothEyesWebsite.jpg

the 2 dots with lines in them are helpers to focus it in. if you're doing it, you'll see the 2 dots on top slowly get closer to eachother, once they overlap you'll see the image in 3D

for 3D images like these the smaller the easier it is. of those are too big I can't get it to work, I can try and try to force it but usually don't quite get there and my eyes will start to hurt 🤣 so I have to step back or make the image smaller.

for those magic eye things that's usually not an issue.

edit: also once you can do the magic eye on command, you can use it to cheat in "spot the difference" images.
the differences will start to flicker and instantly stand out to you once the images overlap.

Spot-10-Differences-in-19-Seconds.jpg

edit2: that simba image he posted there is also super hard to see imo.

this one is an easier one:
838b9ae445afac996641d1b2dda104bb.jpg

EDIT3:
img_text_stereogramsvdbq.jpg

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
That's about the same level of confident ignorance as 'all games run on PC' just because they're designed on them. I heard that a lot back in the days.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
you basically have to focus on a point behind the image, as if your screen is transparent and you're looking at something behind it.

a trick to more or less force it, if you can't do it on command, is to go right up to the image, your nose basically touching the screen. then focusing on a single point in the center of the image, and while you do that you move your head back super slowly, with your eyes not moving at all.

that only works on a large size image, so not really easy on a phone, but on anything the size of an A4 size page should work. I bet too big of a screen is also not good.

I didn't do it like that since I was a child tho, when I got a book full of these from my grandma.
after a while you learn to do it on command.
and once you can do it on command you can also watch glasses-less 3D stuff like this:

WagnerFinishedBothEyesWebsite.jpg

the 2 dots with lines in them are helpers to focus it in. if you're doing it, you'll see the 2 dots on top slowly get closer to eachother, once they overlap you'll see the image in 3D

for 3D images like these the smaller the easier it is. of those are too big I can't get it to work, I can try and try to force it but usually don't quite get there and my eyes will start to hurt 🤣 so I have to step back or make the image smaller.

for those magic eye things that's usually not an issue.

edit: also once you can do the magic eye on command, you can use it to cheat in "spot the difference" images.
the differences will start to flicker and instantly stand out to you once the images overlap.

edit2: that simba image he posted there is also super hard to see imo.

this one is an easier one:
838b9ae445afac996641d1b2dda104bb.jpg

EDIT3:
img_text_stereogramsvdbq.jpg

Thank you very much

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

I did not know this, and it's awesome. It's like a legit mindhack, complete with a "glitch" (the flickering).

Tams

The Japanese aren't entirely blameless when it comes to nonsense like this. Blaming differences between Japanese people and foreigners on biology is a national pastime in Japan. Back before first person games caught on in Japan I had multiple Japanese people tell me they weren't popular over there because Japanese were genetically predisposed to motion sickness.

Did they remind you that Japan has four seasons, and that that makes it special?

Justin9mm

A bit off topic but dogs have much sharper eyesight than humans, and they can only see moving images if watching a minimum of 70 frames per second or higher. So in the old days dogs could not watch TV but now they can with newer high refresh rate TVs. If it's under 70 frames per second, it just looks like a bunch of flickering and choppy still images.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Drizzlehell

Banned
Lol, that's hilarious.

I mean, it's racist as fuck but why get offended when you can just laugh it of like a dumb assertion that it is.

coffinbirth

Never heard that, but I do remember that Japanese developers thought that Westerner's were, on average, more stupid and slackjawed so that is why they couldn't enjoy JRPGs that required more strategy and skill (which is why they removed like half hte content from FF4 and why they gave us Mystic Quest).
That is....an odd take, considering that JRPGs were derived from much more complex western rpgs like D&D, Wizardry, Ultima etc. The reality is those games landed on platforms that were largely considered toys at the time in the west, and thusly were being sold to children.

This thread is some weird Racist Mandella Effect shit, lmao.

yurinka

Never heard about it, sounds simply racist stuff. Japanese had many popular 3D games back then with stuff like Ridge Racer, Jumping Flash, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA and many more.

Trilobit

Lol, that's hilarious.

I mean, it's racist as fuck but why get offended when you can just laugh it of like a dumb assertion that it is.

Yeah, it's like this ad from a Japanese airline that makes me as a man from Caucasus laugh heartily everytime I see it:

japan-ana-advert-2.jpg

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I do remember listening to podcasts in the PS3 launch era and people were saying that the Japanese market didn't take to play FPS games because it gave many people there motion sickness. I always thought that was a bit of a strange hypothesis.

Did they remind you that Japan has four seasons, and that that makes it special?
I know that one is supposed to be really common, but I have yet to encounter it.

I have had people tell me that Japanese prefer fish over meat and rice over bread and potatoes because that's what their stomachs evolved to digest, though. Also, the crime rate in Japan is low because Japanese have an inborn need to follow rules and respect authority.

00_Zer0

Sounds like dumb schoolyard bs to me. I was big time into reading up on the game magazines and collecting games for Saturn, N64, and Playstation back then, and not one article was written about this that I can recall.

The only articles I remember was that Sega Saturn sold better in Japan than anywhere else around the world. That was the place where you got all the 2D games back in the day, but all the 2D glory of Saturn still lost out to Playstation. Playstation was ultimately the number one console in Japan in the long run due to games like Dragon Quest 7 and Final Fantasy 7.

qbxwhi

Sounds like racist bullshit. Japanese developers spearheaded 3D graphics with Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Resident Evil and countless other games.

kojima himself said he had trouble adjusting with 3d camera views with the metal gear series, which is why it took so long for him to go from top down view to normal camera views.

Top Bottom