• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 | Review Thread

Dynasty8

Played a couple hours, in the first "dungeon" area and it feels good so far. Game is fun.

Something happened that made me pretty happy. I died. Like 5 times. Enemies fucked me up and it forced me to be smarter and more strategic. Thank you Gunfire Games for not treating me like a baby and holding my hand like Square Enix.

Played a couple hours, in the first "dungeon" area and it feels good so far. Game is fun.

Something happened that made me pretty happy. I died. Like 5 times. Enemies fucked me up and it forced me to be smarter and more strategic. Thank you Gunfire Games for not treating me like a baby and holding my hand like Square Enix.

Are you playing on normal or hard?

I remember for part 1, hard run was so much enjoyable. Souls like experience of repeatedly dying but with friends it was very manageable.

Last edited:

drotahorror

So runs pretty great for me on 6700k/3060ti. High preset / 1080p / 60fps lock / DLSS Quality (I couldn't distinguish DLSS OFF/ON so I just turned it on).

Minor stutters when transitioning to cutscenes and I had a fairly big pause/stutter during one enemy encounter. Definitely nothing like UE4 shader comp stutters. So I'm kinda glad UE5 is turning out to be ok in that department. I don't think it's dropped from 60fps.

Last edited:
Had to restart my character because I didn't like the Handler archetype (dog AI is wonky, to say the least) and wanted to switch to Gunslinger, but apparently it can only be picked with a new character due to being a pre-order bonus.

Was a little annoyed at having to restart but it rolled a completely different world for my second char, so it truly feels like a fresh start. Pretty neat.

GymWolf

Had to restart my character because I didn't like the Handler archetype (dog AI is wonky, to say the least) and wanted to switch to Gunslinger, but apparently it can only be picked with a new character due to being a pre-order bonus.

Was a little annoyed at having to restart but it rolled a completely different world for my second char, so it truly feels like a fresh start. Pretty neat.
You can find that class in the game, you just get it later.

Is loot in this random like something like Diablo or are items always in the same spot for everyone like Souls games? What does endgame consist of?

Is loot in this random like something like Diablo or are items always in the same spot for everyone like Souls games? What does endgame consist of?

Not yet started this.

But in first part, they used to have fixed spot for each weapon/armour.

You had to reroll campaign if you wanted a specific equipment and get the dungeon in which it was placed.

Am assuming it would be similar here.

winjer

Gold Member
Some benchmarks. Seems to be well optimized for all GPUs and CPUs.
But like all UE4 games, UE5 still has the issue of having 2 or 3 threads doing most of the work, and the rest just doing a bit.

Y5OOby8.png

26IsQtO.png

lOdnkuh.png

GymWolf

I only played the first 20 min because of course in my city we are having multiple prolonged blackouts but what i played was silky smooth with a 4080\13600k, all maxed out, the game can be quite the looker sometimes, too bad for the characters that are just decent\ok.

The only minor problem was some weird texture pop in during some cutscenes.

More opinions when my fucking city is gonna remember that we are not a third world country.

Last edited:

Luipadre

But like all UE4 games, UE5 still has the issue of having 2 or 3 threads doing most of the work, and the rest just doing a bit.

Y5OOby8.png

26IsQtO.png

lOdnkuh.png

38 fps on 3070ti really? Looks like im skipping this one.

winjer

Gold Member
I only played the first 20 min because of course in my city we are having multiple prolonged blackouts but what i played was silky smooth with a 4080\13600k, all maxed out, the game can be quite the looked sometimes, too bad for the characters that are just decent\ok.

The only minor problem was some weird texture pop in during some cutscenes.

More opinions when my fucking city is gonna remember that we are not a third world country.

Aren't you in Italy?
What is going on there with the power grid?

GymWolf

Aren't you in Italy?
What is going on there with the power grid?
My city is fucked up, there are like 50 degree celsius so everyone and their mother have their AC turned on so everything just overload.

Even if i had an ups it would be useless because we are talking about several hours long\half day long blackouts.

Right now i'm using the phone to share the connection via wifi with the tablet to post in here.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Y5OOby8.png

26IsQtO.png

lOdnkuh.png
Why the fuck is my cpu not even listed? I thought it was the best bang for buck of the 13th series...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Y5OOby8.png

And people scoff at AMD GPUs.

Been watching a stream a little this morning and the game looks great.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Played it for an hour and it looks good and plays very well.
Graphics are a huge step up from Remnant from the ashes. Despite not using Lumen, the lighting system is very good.
Characters are the only point lacking, as they look like an early PS4 game.
The game uses UE 5.2, so there is a short compilation when the game starts. I had a handful of stutters, but they are during transitions. Stuff like cutscenes or entering a new area.
During gameplay, I had no stutters. Performance o my PC varies between 70-100 fps. FSR2 Quality. Maxed out.
The game has it's config files locked, just like Jedi Survivor. But UUU works perfectly.

BTW, do yourself a favor and inspect the lantern Ford gave you at the start of the game.

ZehDon

Played up until the Asylum with a friend, really loving it so far. Definitely more polished than the first game. Clear Bloodborne inspirations from the first area, and that's not a bad thing in my eyes. Can't wait to play more.

PC performance is good for me. Getting a constant 100+fps at mostly high settings with shadows at medium and DLSS at balanced on my 3080, 12700K and 32GB DDR4.

Image quality is good, graphics look pretty nice and the gameplay is great.

hlm666

Pretty solid release honestly, hope it does well commercially for the devs. I'm off to play it some more, although my mates said if I yell highnoon one more time I'm getting no revives or healing.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Meave

Neo Member
Need Help! Playing on Xbox and I’m at a boos fight with Faerin in the Beatific Gallery and he’s kicking my ass. I’m a level 5 gunslinger and my game is open to join!

GymWolf

Its just me or that game is much harder than 1? Im playing on veteran mode.
Normal enemies are kinda the same as rem1, but the first boss i encountered is kicking my ass, my weapons are too weak but i want to save resources for later:lollipop_squinting:
And the doggo is completely useless in this arena unless it learn how to climb stairs asap:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Just an heads up, always search every object in your inventory like you would do with a RE title or a point and click title, who knows what you can find...

Last edited:
I loved the first game and got 100% on it when it was on gamepass. Its another example of a game i would never have bought or tried without gamepass but now i m excited for the sequel.
The reviews are good enough for me to buy it right away and hopefully i can finish it before gamepass goes crazy in september.

Hustler

The first game was great for co op. But the PS5 version from what I can tell has missing co op features and the devs are aware of this issue? Has anyone found a work around to play with friends or know when this will be fixed?

Josemayuste

The first game was great for co op. But the PS5 version from what I can tell has missing co op features and the devs are aware of this issue? Has anyone found a work around to play with friends or know when this will be fixed?

The Devs already know about missing coop and invites on PS5.. there seem to be some workarounds but neither do I or my friends have been able to join each other as of yet. 🥲

Djin1980

Neo Member
I'm a bit disappointed with the PS5 version. The 60 fps mode is not good (lots stutter and dips), and the implementation of the haptics is lackluster. Additionally, there is no use of the adaptive triggers. It looks like a rather lazy console port, too bad. I should have gone with the PC version.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I'm a bit disappointed with the PS5 version. The 60 fps mode is not good (lots stutter and dips), and the implementation of the haptics is lackluster. Additionally, there is no use of the adaptive triggers. It looks like a rather lazy console port, too bad. I should have gone with the PC version.

PC version is probably worse. Performance is not good there

Luipadre

From reddit

--General Performance--

We've heard from a few folks about the game's overall performance. We're definitely going to roll out performance updates after the game's launch. But for the sake of transparency, we designed the game with upscaling in mind (DLSS/FSR/XeSS). So, if you leave the Upscaling settings as they are (you can hit 'reset defaults' to get them back to normal), you should have the smoothest gameplay.

Thats a big yikes.

How are people playing it already?
Ultimate edition.

Really liking this, except the GODDAM AWFUL character dialogue. He just won't shut up! Wouldn't mind if it was well written and varied but it's the same few phrases every combat (often out of context eg "Here they come" with just one enemy). With all the quality work on display this is sort of like dumping ketchup on top of a restaurant meal.

Hopefully we'll get an option down the road to turn it off.

Top Bottom