• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 | Review Thread

Roufianos

Ultimate edition.

Really liking this, except the GODDAM AWFUL character dialogue. He just won't shut up! Wouldn't mind if it was well written and varied but it's the same few phrases every combat (often out of context eg "Here they come" with just one enemy). With all the quality work on display this is sort of like dumping ketchup on top of a restaurant meal.

Hopefully we'll get an option down the road to turn it off.
Ahh that's a bummer, amazing how the whole Saint's Row, Atomic Heart and Forspoken dramas have taught devs nothing.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Ultimate edition.

Really liking this, except the GODDAM AWFUL character dialogue. He just won't shut up! Wouldn't mind if it was well written and varied but it's the same few phrases every combat (often out of context eg "Here they come" with just one enemy). With all the quality work on display this is sort of like dumping ketchup on top of a restaurant meal.

Edit: ^^^^^what this guy said is true.

The rave reviews this game is getting are perplexing to me. I've played for around an hour and am left wondering if I should even continue to play with the volume turned on. The dialogue/banter is awful and the frequency of it is near Dragon's Dogma levels.

Seriously thinking about asking for a refund.

Last edited:
From reddit

--General Performance--

We've heard from a few folks about the game's overall performance. We're definitely going to roll out performance updates after the game's launch. But for the sake of transparency, we designed the game with upscaling in mind (DLSS/FSR/XeSS). So, if you leave the Upscaling settings as they are (you can hit 'reset defaults' to get them back to normal), you should have the smoothest gameplay.

Thats a big yikes.
That’s the exact opposite of what they should be saying. It’s almost the same thing as saying ‘we didn’t optimise too much, so use up scaling tech instead’.

I haven’t had any problems with performance but I was a little surprised that native 1440p is a bit of a struggle on a 3080. I’m happy with DLSS, but it shouldn’t be a reason to not optimise better.

kikkis

That’s the exact opposite of what they should be saying. It’s almost the same thing as saying ‘we didn’t optimise too much, so use up scaling tech instead’.

I haven’t had any problems with performance but I was a little surprised that native 1440p is a bit of a struggle on a 3080. I’m happy with DLSS, but it shouldn’t be a reason to not optimise better.
For small team, asking to optimize ue5 on pc might be pretty much impossible task

This seems to be pretty much the future. New RTX 40 series also puts too much emphasis on DLSS 3 while barely exceeding last gen raster performance.

It's how shitty cell phone cameras are able to take almost as good photos as dedicated cameras. They are onto something here.

GymWolf

The bosses are harder than the first one even without adds, wonderfull.

What weapons are you rocking? Don't respond if you have some super secret weapon.

GymWolf

Just for your information, the game has fake walls or small openings hided behind breakable objects like the souls, i just discovered a ring and a boss like that.

The game is choke full of puzzles and secrets.

Also, always exhaust every line of dialogue with npcs...

Last edited:
Gunfire dev responded to a Reddit post about the game being stingy with resources (especially scrap)

Hopefully it happens soon because I need more scrap for upgrading.

Dynasty8

This game needs a way to mute your protagonist... annoying af.

Ya I agree. Not sure why devs think it's "cool" to add shit like that. Couldn't stand it in Horizon, Days Gone and every other game where the protagonist just blurts out shit nonstop.

Otherwise...what an amazing game so far.

It's hard to feel like a badass killing machine when your guy keeps talking like he's shitting his pants.

Ya I agree. Not sure why devs think it's "cool" to add shit like that. Couldn't stand it in Horizon, Days Gone and every other game where the protagonist just blurts out shit nonstop.

Otherwise...what an amazing game so far.
It's an audio cue to let you know when you're in or out of combat. But its implementation is just terrible.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gunfire dev responded to a Reddit post about the game being stingy with resources (especially scrap)

Hopefully it happens soon because I need more scrap for upgrading.

Why don't you just join some other player to farm scrap? Or use adventure mode to reroll the worlds you completed to farm and find new stuff.

Why don't you just join some other player to farm scrap? Or use adventure mode to reroll the worlds you completed to farm and find new stuff.
Because I've had a busy weekend and barely had any time to play, unfortunately.

Either way, Gunfire acknowledged that resource drops are stingy and will be fixed... I was just relaying the message.

Game is dope, they improved upon the first in almost every aspect. Annoying voice over is definitely my main gripe, as others have already said.
"Here they come!"
*kills one baddie
"Whew, that was rough!"

I've only seen two areas so far and they were fantastic, can't wait to see more.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ultimate edition.

There's seriously no option to even turn voices down?

If so it's so baffling to me how little shit like this gets overlooked or decided against

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Edit: ^^^^^what this guy said is true.

The rave reviews this game is getting are perplexing to me. I've played for around an hour and am left wondering if I should even continue to play with the volume turned on. The dialogue/banter is awful and the frequency of it is near Dragon's Dogma levels.

Seriously thinking about asking for a refund.
Let's be doubly sure of our destination.

hlm666

Think i'm about 1/2 way through this now and kind of disappointed with the bosses so far. Don't really want to go into specifics because of spoilers but there isn't much new mechanics wise and they have doubled down on fights with adds. As an ex everquest and wow player dealing with adds isn't something I find particularly interesting or enjoyable. Hasn't been alot of interesting weak spot mechanics either, i'd go so far as saying im not even sure where the weak spot was on 1/2 of them so far lol.

GymWolf

Think i'm about 1/2 way through this now and kind of disappointed with the bosses so far. Don't really want to go into specifics because of spoilers but there isn't much new mechanics wise and they have doubled down on fights with adds. As an ex everquest and wow player dealing with adds isn't something I find particularly interesting or enjoyable. Hasn't been alot of interesting weak spot mechanics either, i'd go so far as saying im not even sure where the weak spot was on 1/2 of them so far lol.
I only fought 3 bosses and only one had adds in the lower level of the arena that you could just avoid by not going in the lower floor.

It was one of the things they said they addressed in the sequel, just keep pushing, the game has a lot of bosses to take into account the map rng.

Luipadre

Still cant decide between ps5 or pc. I have an i5 13600k, 32gb ddr5 and a 3070ti, playing in 1440p, but i heard the pc port is bad

Oh my God the characters are terrible millenial writing at its worst. Quips and prickly personalities who make you wanna slap a hoe.

Seriously, you'd think these coastal trust fund hipsters would realize that writing your characters like assholes just makes people hate them, not look up to them.

Dynasty8

Oh my God the characters are terrible millenial writing at its worst. Quips and prickly personalities who make you wanna slap a hoe.

Seriously, you'd think these coastal trust fund hipsters would realize that writing your characters like assholes just makes people hate them, not look up to them.

Yup, many modern games nowadays are so weird with how they think this is "cool" and "hip".

Even back in my early twenties...this shit was eye roll level of cringe. The world has basically ended, everyone around you dead...some of these NPCs are acting like gen Z marvel characters.

It's good that after the first hour or so you barely have any interactions with them.

Eiknarf

Yup, many modern games nowadays are so weird with how they think this is "cool" and "hip".

Even back in my early twenties...this shit was eye roll level of cringe. The world has basically ended, everyone around you dead...some of these NPCs are acting like gen Z marvel characters.

It's good that after the first hour or so you barely have any interactions with them.
But who’s writing the games today?? Gen Z people? Millennials?

I would guess that people around age 40 to 50 are the writers, right? So, that age group grew up in the 80s and 90s and should not be quiffy like the Gen-Z/Millennials today.

Or are 24 year olds writing today?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"planning early-morning and late-night sessions around a climate change-induced California heat wave so as to not exacerbate the daily triple-degree temperatures already turning my home into a sweat lodge"

Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr
Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

73e020f56c4a86221823bc32113b4316d2-25-ben-affleck-sad-smoke.rvertical.w330.jpg
clown balloon GIF by Team Coco

Js562

Game is smooth on the series X. Played co-op with a team and haven't ran into a problem. Shooting is 👍 that's where it pulls me in and exploration. Gameplay is crack shit be addicting. As of right now I'm fighting this shithead boss big ass alien squid with hands and lasers. Died over 20 times🤬 Hard game but once you get going you'll be alright.

MacReady13

I loved the first game and got 100% on it when it was on gamepass. Its another example of a game i would never have bought or tried without gamepass but now i m excited for the sequel.
The reviews are good enough for me to buy it right away and hopefully i can finish it before gamepass goes crazy in september.
Funny that cause I had never heard of it. Saw it on sale on the PS5 and purchased it. Loved it. Didn't need a sub service to know it.

Day 1 patch Early Access Hotfix is live on PC
PC players: Thanks so much for your feedback and support for Remnant 2 while it’s been in Early Access!
We've released a hotfix to Remnant 2 for PC (Steam & Epic) with menu UI performance improvements, bug fixes and toning down the player’s voice over comments as requested by Early Access players.
Patch notes:
[GENERAL]
  • Toned down the player VO comments.
[FIXES]
  • Progression Blocker Fix for Labyrinth cinematic crashing and key not being awarded.
  • Progression Blocker Fix for exiting out of first lab cinematic and not receiving the zone door keys.
  • Progression Blocker Fix for Water Harp lever no longer working
  • Progression Blocker Fix where Nightweaver Web would consume items you need for quest puzzles. If an item was consumed it should now be back in your inventory.
  • Added fix for performance hitch leaving menu, and irregular bloom that sometimes happened when you exit menu.
  • Added fix for starting to link the epic account and aborting causing the link popup to appear each time you launch the game until you link.
  • Added fix for Ultimate Edition players not receiving Gunslinger Engram in game if they didn't start with Gunslinger.
  • Added fix for player possibly becoming invisible when using Labyrinth portal.
  • Added fix to prevent host’s save getting changed if they quit out the game while dead and then joined someone else’s game.

Got my key today. Damn this game is fun. It's like the first game, but different / expanded. Just unlocked my second class. Can't wait to play again!
Gameplay look is superb, boss battles are fun solo and co-op and the shooting feels about as good as one of these games usually get. If this game is supported it will be a huge hit. Looter shooters rarely speak to me but this game has so much to discover I find myself coming to play often currently.

Top Bottom