• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Watch Dogs Series Is “Dead and Buried”; “Fairly Original” Battle Royale Project Has Been Canceled

Draugoth

Gold Member
WCCFwatchdogslegion8.jpg

The Watch Dogs is "dead and buried", as Ubisoft canceled multiple projects based on the franchise, according to online rumors.

Speaking on X/Titter, known leaker j0nathan revealed how the series is seemingly done. Legion's commercial failure brought the cancelation of multiple projects in the series, according to the leaker, including a "fairly original" battle royale project.

Report via Wccftech

They strayed further and further from it's original inception. Which still holds a lot of merit in some of it's more unique ideas..

Let it lay. By the 3rd entry, it had nothing to offer.

That being said, there's a great mod for WD1 that essentially makes the game what it should have been from the beginning and would have been a great foundation to grow from:

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

That London one was shockingly shit, It's no surprise they've canned it.

Infact, is there anyone left at UBI that knows how to make good games?

It seems not. It seems to be DEI up the wazzo and charge over the odds for the pleasure

I doubt they've got long, probably why they're charging as much as they do, trying to fill their pockets before the ship sinks.

Last edited:

Certinty

Legion is one of the worst sequels of two good games i’ve ever come across so I can’t say i’m shocked.

What a shame though. The first was actually a great puzzle game if you played it as one with all the stealth and hacking and not a GTA-like clone. Great gunplay and Chicago was nice too as an open world.

Second game I suppose was more “fun” but was heavily dumbed down in the gameplay department. Not as good as the first for me at least but San Francisco as a living breathing open world was beautiful, still one of the best out there.

But yeah, like I said to start, Legion was trash. What a waste of what could have been.

Skifi28

I have no idea what they were thinking with legion. The two previous game, while flawed, were unique in their own way and decent.

Not shocked. They got progressively worse. Really can't understand how they ruined this franchise. WD1 was truly a great game. One of my favorites the entire gen. WD2 was ehh, wasn't bad but a downgrade from 1. Legion was just a dumpster fire.

I will not forgive Ubisoft for ruining WD and cancelling a sequel to immortals fenyx rising. They are just lost as a publisher

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They completely lost where they wanted to go after the original game. While I think 2 is mechanically better than 1, the tone and story are far worse. I liked stalking the seedy underbelly of Chicago as a no-nonsense veteran much better than strolling the bright and sunny beaches of Northern California as a millennial.

The themes they tried to tackle were way too complicated and high-minded for the amateur writers of Ubisoft and the execution of the stories for both games fell flat. With Legion, they gave up and attempted some half-assed GAAS shit and failed.

Good riddance.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

They completely lost where they wanted to go after the original game. While I think 2 is mechanically better than one, the tone and story are far worse. I liked stalking the seedy underbelly of Chicago as a no-nonsense veteran much better than strolling the bright and sunny beaches of Northern California as a millennial.

The themes they tried to tackle were way too complicated and high-minded for the amateur writers of Ubisoft and the execution of the stories for both games fell flat. With Legion, they gave up and attempted some half-assed GAAS shit and failed.

Good riddance.
First one is a gem, art style, mood, atmosphere, It had a soul, Second and Legion are super generic, almost souless, aside from better gameplay and graphics, everything is worst imo.

Last edited:

Yoda

First one wasn't awful. Went downhill after that. But yeah Ubishit fucking another one of their franchises? What else is new.

Audiophile

So much potential down the pan. First game nailed the tone and could have really been expanded upon; I think people gave it way too much shit for the serious tone. Second had improved mechanics and was fun in general, but the "hey cool kids" tone ruined it. Legion I played for all of a few hrs before I put it on eBay.

I hope they'll return to it with a full reboot in a gen or two should they ever get their shit together; and with greater technical capabilities allowing the games core concepts to be realised more organically. Canning it entirely in the very long run would be a shame, there's still something there to be worked with and I believe it was a solid seller.

Still wear my Aiden Pearce face mask in the winter when cycling. Came with the special edition game, started to fall apart now though.

Last edited:

ancelotti

The core concept was solid, but they always seemed to double down on the wrong ideas.

I thought the most interesting part of Legion was toward the end when the AI turned on everyone. It's too bad that it was basically just for a single chase sequence.

In the end, it's just another cautionary tale of poor direction and execution from Ubisoft leadership.

Kerotan

Funny I'm literally looking at the credits for legion. Looking forward to playing the Bloodline expansion.

I actually had fun with the game and enjoyed the recruitment system. But my God it has to be the most woke game ever. It was produced during that eras peak so makes sense.

Another lesson learned the hard way by the big publishers. They should have went back to the grittyness of the original.

A lot of potential never realised. A great concept but dragged down by Ubisoft copy and paste shite. As much as they try, they can’t reach the level of a top form Rockstar.

They did themselves no favours by that original showing and then seeing what the final product looked like. I remember some of their grifters trying to play down the downgrade criticism at the time too, laughable.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Couldn't care less, woke Ubisoft is the worst, usual boring Ubisoft open world but with woke politics. Good riddance.

I quite enjoyed the original bit not played any of the sequels(played about 30 mins of WD2 but that was it).

bitbydeath

Isn’t that the Far Cry rumour guy who backtracked recently cause he just made something up…

I miss Pastebin rumours, they had more merit than Twitter.

Good, now use that money on Splinter Cell

Splinter Cell will too go the way of the Dodo in the hands of Ubisoft

The Division - DEAD
Far Cry - DEAD
Watch Dogs - DEAD
The Crew - DEAD
Riders Repubilic - FUCKING DEAD
xDefiant - Sure as shit will be DEAD ON ARRIVAL

See the pattern here? Ubisoft is where IP's go to die.

The higher ups at Ubisoft are incompetent. What do they have to lean on now? Assassins Creed?! Surely that ship too will sail.

Hip Hop

I loved the dark, gritty feel of the first game.
The series fell off once it became "lighthearted" so by the 2nd entry.

Last edited:
The first game was a very good time I did literally everything there was to do in it and its DLC. I had a marvelous time. Certainly not the best game I ever played, but it had a well-done gritty atmosphere and unlike so many people at the time I actually liked Aiden and his story. I enjoyed Eugene as well. I got the Gold Edition of the sequel expecting a similar game but better. I absolutely hated it. I was never able to finish it because it was so boring and uninspired. San Francisco felt so much worse to play in than Chicago, I hated my character's personality, and I just didn't feel any connection to what was happening. Even the gameplay felt like a downgrade to me. My dislike of the game was significant enough that it never even crossed my mind to give Legion a go, and I doubt I ever will.

Watch_Dogs is dead. It had potential, but Ubisoft did what it does best. Made increasingly lazy and uninspired sequels and hoped the IP name was enough to make it sell gangbusters.

Legion had some cool ideas and fun marketing, but overall was a huge step back after WD2, which is still fantastic.

Legion was such a reduculous step backwards from the first two in terms of game systems, abilities, and well designed missions. Ughh ...feels like a half finished game

How to ruin a franchise

Top Bottom