• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports of PS accounts randomly permabanned (Up: errors are being reverted and bans lifted)

I did back on PS3 on another account but not ever on this account.
Thanks for answering. Not sure how much it helps right this minute, but apparently Sony is aware of the issue.

uk3wfx87gd4c1.jpeg

SenkiDala

Not mine, but god damn "we can't provide any more information" lol

7zsmdk3vdd4c1.jpeg
That is so fucked up and I'm 99.9% sure that it isn't even legal, in any situation if you're banned you have the right to know why, especially if that ban implies you to lose access to games that you purchased. Hell if that happened to me I literally lose access to hundreds of contents (games and DLCs) that I bought since the PS3 era.

Sony is really doing shit since a couple of years.

To be honest recently I had a 1 week ban from the reward program on Xbox. At first I didn't understand why since I thought I did nothing wrong so I asked them wtf did I do and they told me I used a VPN while making the daily bing researches. Then I remember that yes I activated a VPN (for a reason that has nothing to do with Rewards) and forgot to turn it off when I made the daily points). Anyway what I mean is that even for a shitty reason for a shitty 1 week bad like this MS replied to me and told me what happened. How can Sony PERMABAN you without event the courtesy to tell you what did you do wrong ?

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

That is so fucked up and I'm 99.9% sure that it isn't even legal, in any situation if you're banned you have the right to know why, especially if that ban implies you to lose access to games that you purchased. Hell if that happened to me I literally lose access to hundreds of contents (games and DLCs) that I bought since the PS3 era.

To be honest recently I had a 1 week ban from the reward program on Xbox. At first I didn't understand why since I thought I did nothing wrong so I asked them wtf did I do and they told me I used a VPN why making the daily bing researches. Then I remember that yes I activated a VPN (for a reason that has nothing to do with Rewards) and forgot to turn it off when I made the daily points). Anyway what I mean is that even for a shitty reason for a shitty 1 week bad like this MS replied to me and told me what happened. How can Sony PERMABAN you without event the courtesy to tell you what did you do wrong ?
You don't have a "right" to know why. Until the government intervenes, these companies can get away with banning you without having to provide evidence.

Sleepwalker

To be honest recently I had a 1 week ban from the reward program on Xbox. At first I didn't understand why since I thought I did nothing wrong so I asked them wtf did I do and they told me I used a VPN why making the daily bing researches. Then I remember that yes I activated a VPN (for a reason that has nothing to do with Rewards) and forgot to turn it off when I made the daily points). Anyway what I mean is that even for a shitty reason for a shitty 1 week bad like this MS replied to me and told me what happened. How can Sony PERMABAN you without event the courtesy to tell you what did you do wrong ?

My xbox account got permabanned and I had no idea why, cs wouldn't say why, they told me to appeal the ban to find out why, so I did. The answer was "terms violation" and they removed my right to appeal lol. Revoked all my library, thank fuck it was small.

Fuck the digital future.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Looks like is a breach. Some folks are receiving email with multiple logins at the same instance.

Could be linked to that security issue that was reported a few weeks ago?

Changing the password again just in case.

Fake

Could be linked to that security issue that was reported a few weeks ago?

Changing the password again just in case.

Maybe. IDK if this have anything related to the GTA6 trailer leak, maybe via playstation network, but some folks are saying that changing the password fix the login attempts.

SenkiDala

My xbox account got permabanned and I had no idea why, cs wouldn't say why, they told me to appeal the ban to find out why, so I did. The answer was "terms violation" and they removed my right to appeal lol. Revoked all my library, thank fuck it was small.

Fuck the digital future.
That's fucked up, I cannot imagine being in such situation. In EU / France we have rules and laws that prevent shits like this to happen but yes I guess it is not 100% secure.

With that "all digital future" laws regarding those kind of issues need to change.

Imagine having men from Sony/MS ringing at your house coming in, taking all your PS/Xbox games from your shelves, without telling you wtf is happening and then leaving, that is unimaginable.

Sleepwalker

That's fucked up, I cannot imagine being in such situation. In EU / France we have rules and laws that prevent shits like this to happen but yes I guess it is not 100% secure.

With that "all digital future" laws regarding those kind of issues need to change.

Imagine having men from Sony/MS ringing at your house coming in, taking all your PS/Xbox games from your shelves, without telling you wtf is happening and then leaving, that is unimaginable.

Yeah its crazy they can take your money and remove your content. Even in EA games if you get permabanned you're still able to play the games offline and just lose online features.

Bolded reminded me of this haha:

Fake

Still no emails here... :/ Sounds like it could have been though.

Maybe because your account have being compromisse?

The logins attempts are from the hackers trying to get into the target account.

If you can try to check the login history.

Unknown?

Maybe because your account have being compromisse?

The logins attempts are from the hackers trying to get into the target account.

If you can try to check the login history.
I have 2 factor set up though and no notifications except when I tried to sign in.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Some people are saying they’re getting banned when opening the PS app. Others are being disconnected in SP games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I read some reddit posts and the 2F-check is the reason the breach is open to begin with.

The F in 2F stands for Fuck 'em, after all.

Edit: not banned. The power of Spencer protects me.

Last edited:

To be honest recently I had a 1 week ban from the reward program on Xbox. At first I didn't understand why since I thought I did nothing wrong so I asked them wtf did I do and they told me I used a VPN while making the daily bing researches. Then I remember that yes I activated a VPN (for a reason that has nothing to do with Rewards) and forgot to turn it off when I made the daily points). Anyway what I mean is that even for a shitty reason for a shitty 1 week bad like this MS replied to me and told me what happened. How can Sony PERMABAN you without event the courtesy to tell you what did you do wrong ?
If it happened to me I‘d instantly become a pirate. Fuck that shit, first paying thousands of dollars for their games and then getting banned for no reason? Yeah, that‘ll definitely teach me a lesson to never again purchase something digitally.

stn

I had this happen a few years ago to a PSN account I didn't use for a long time. Turns out someone hacked it and tried to pull some shady crap, so Sony permabanned it. Anyway, the good news is I actually did get the account back and the permaban removed. I did it through the PS chat support. Sounds like I got lucky back in the day.

Sushi_Combo

Where? In the US?
Because in the EU you have the right to request any personal data a company has on you, this would include the reason they banned you for.
Request for data is a function available for supported Countries. Requesting data to specify the reason of a perma ban is not. If that's the case I'd love to see that provision in the European Tos.

Request for data is a function available for supported Countries.
....didn't I just say EU? It's EU law.
Requesting data to specify the reason of a perma ban is not.
Yes it is because it is relevant to the processing of your personal data, the only reason your account can be banned is because you give them permission to process your data so you can have an account in the first place; any kind of directed processing of that data needs to be logged and be able to be turned over when requested.
If that's the case I'd love to see that provision in the European Tos.
Lol, TOS? You think GDPR gives a shit about a TOS? You can't circumvent what is law with a terms of service, all of your personal data, and how it's been processed needs to be handed over when requested.

Sushi_Combo

....didn't I just say EU? It's EU law.

Yes it is because it is relevant to the processing of your personal data, the only reason your account can be banned is because you give them permission to process your data so you can have an account in the first place; any kind of directed processing of that data needs to be logged and be able to be turned over when requested.

Lol, TOS? You think GDPR gives a shit about a TOS? You can't circumvent what is law with a terms of service, all of your personal data, and how it's been processed needs to be handed over when requested.
You still haven't provided any tangible evidence of this. I've not seen Sony/Microsoft go into specifics for console or account bans.

Last edited:
This happened to me. I can’t play any downloaded games.

Edit. First I got a request to sign in with my phone. I took the picture which brought me to the PS App. I was then asked to change my PW which I did. I was then permabanned.

Last edited:
You still haven't provided any tangible evidence of this.
I haven't provided any tangible evidence of...GDPR?
I've not seen Sony go into specifics for console or account bans.
They don't have to go into deep specifics, but they have to hand over your data and if it's logged it will be in the data request, they might use some internal codes that might not be helpful, or it could say the reason verbatim.

Top Bottom