• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports of PS accounts randomly permabanned (Up: errors are being reverted and bans lifted)

Jayjayhd34

Sorry feel like a zombie. Basically what saying is something has happened on sonys end there's way to many people getting banned to be a reason behind it.

The only things that get you banned are modified cfw charge backs and maybe racist remarks ( however unsure if that's permanent) So you would know why you where banned.

What would large amount of people gain from making this up.

Last edited:

demigod

More than hacking, I'd (so far from what I've read) say this is just Sony's software incompetence.

It's a mystery really. Sony's first-party studios employ some frightfully talented programmers, like seriously S-tier. But I wouldn't trust Sony, the corporation, to program their way out of a paper bag. Why this is, I really can't explain it.

Edit: FWIW, I don't know whether this is related or not - I was redeeming the November PS+ games yesterday, and ran into a bunch of issues with authentication (I have 2FA enabled). Like, I was logged in at first. Then when redeeming a game I wasn't. Then I logged in again, and was able to redeem a game. Until it turns out I wasn't, and had to login yet again. This song and dance went on for quite some time, until I was able to redeem all the games. At least for me, the authentication servers were wonky yesterday.
I had issues too, it kept giving me an error when redeeming but it eventually fixed itself. Maybe it was just a server issue after all with the wonky bans.

Yamisan

They do not ban paying members at random; they have most likely hacked or done something wrong and are lying about it. Sony wouldn't just ban people and lose money considering all they care about is money.

Unknown?

They do not ban paying members at random; they have most likely hacked or done something wrong and are lying about it. Sony wouldn't just ban people and lose money considering all they care about is money.
Explain why I was permabanned with no notification or warning and now am not with no notification.

Typical Sony.

Issue? What issue!

Support ticket closed, let's play some Spiderman, y'all!

Damn, but glad it was solved for you!
Well one thing's for sure, won't be buying anything digital in the future.

Saber

Gold Member
None. Not even an email.

Airplane Oops GIF

nowhat

Sony customer support is the worst.
When I got my PS5 (March 2021, even though I had preordered in August 2020, but such is life living in Finland) the console broke down in like less than an hour. I'm not sure of the exact time, but I stopped getting notifications for downloads being complete soon after I finished setting up the device and left home, when I came back the thing refused to turn back on.

Called customer support, the representative had me go a checklist (which I already had, but I humored him at any rate), after which he emailed me a PDF to print on a parcel. Did so, shipped the console to France (at no cost, it's included with the shipping information) for repairs, less than two weeks later I receive a new console (the S/N is different so I think this must be the case) and have been happy as a clam since.

Now this is about hardware support, not software support, but as far as the hardware goes, my experience was great. I mean, other than not having a defective console in the first place, but ehh, shit happens especially with early production runs.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Not mine, but god damn "we can't provide any more information" lol

7zsmdk3vdd4c1.jpeg
The other bizarre aspect of the "Support" response there. Is that their first response, is to recommend you set up a new PSN account!? So if you've just been banned for being naughty. So naughty in fact, that they cant even tell you how bad you were. But they want you back on the service again, just as a new user.... lol

Kilau

Gold Member
I checked and not banned sadly, system feels super sluggish though, disconnected and everything was normal so PSN is shitting the bed again maybe.

Question, how many people that got banned here, have done a chargeback on their card/with their bank? That tends to be the big thing that gets people banned on psn.

The other bizarre aspect of the "Support" response there. Is that their first response, is to recommend you set up a new PSN account!? So if you've just been banned for being naughty. So naughty in fact, that they cant even tell you how bad you were. But they want you back on the service again, just as a new user.... lol
Like you would leave your digital library behind to start a new account like that lmao.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Glad to see the issue appears to be resolved. I'm hoping that the priortiy was to unfuck up what happened and later there is an apology email coming and some compensation (let's be honest it will probably be shite, like a digital code for Ghostbusters 2016).

Seeing no response from Sony is shitty.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Did you give shitty tips? haha. Now they can't skip too many orders. They can't be as choosy. So they probably just ban the cheapskates.

Nah I'm a pretty good tipper, I have no idea why they decided I wasn't worthy. But the firewall not saying why was super annoying.

Nah I'm a pretty good tipper, I have no idea why they decided I wasn't worthy. But the firewall not saying why was super annoying.
hmm, you should ask the doordash subreddit. Did you do those double dashes?
Hope it doesn't happen to me, I use doordash about 1-2 times a week.

chonga

The number of people reporting it show it’s not what you’re joking about.
No it doesn't.

If I am running an online system and you're doing some shady shit that I wasn't detecting but now I am or I'd previously let slide but now I'm like no fuck it I'm banning you mopes, I can swiftly ban a bunch of people in one go.

There is absolutely no evidence to say anything concrete, yet you're trying to state for a fact it can't be what the other user is hinting at.

Sounds like you might've been phished. Did you scan a QR code?

Would be pretty disaterous if some punk managed to forge and implement a counterfeit malicious QR code in their systems.
Yes, I scanned a QR code to sign in. It came up on my PS5 though. So someone would have put the functionality into my PS5 OS.

Edit. Also that QR code went to my official PS App on my phone.

Last edited:
Yes, I scanned a QR code to sign in. It came up on my PS5 though. So someone would have put the functionality into my PS5 OS.

Edit. Also that QR code went to my official PS App on my phone.
I don't use the PS App. Is it a Web app or a mobile OS app? I don't have knowledge about the internal security of the PS5. The QR code might've been sent/transmitted to your device and not be local.

FYI, there's a new kind of phishing that's emerging as of recent called Quisphing (QR codes).

Last edited:
I don't use the PS App. Is it a Web app or a mobile OS app? I don't have knowledge about the internal security of the PS5. The QR code might've been sent/transmitted to your device and not be local.

FYI, there's a new kind of phishing that's emerging as of recent called Quisphing (QR codes).
It's an iPhone app in my case.

I used the restore licences trick. That did the trick!
  1. Go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Other > Restore Licenses.
  2. Select Restore.

Last edited:

graywolf323

that happened to me with my iTunes account last summer, they wouldn’t even tell me why I was banned 🤦🏼‍♂️ it took weeks and eventually emailing Tim Cook to get assistance where they overturned it

This is very concerning. Could be that some of these people were just using party chat to talk to people, and Sony was just listening to their convos. If that is true it's super disturbing. Plus Sony not telling people what they did and slamming the door shut is the very reason why you should still buy discs for PlayStation so at the very least you can still play your games you paid for.

Ugh... if this gets much worse then it might be time to just stop giving these companies money for anything.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Seems to be happening to a lot of people. I was just playing Fortnite, scared to turn my system back on.
You see, there's the problem right there. You were playing Fortnite. They didn't like that. But seriously, haven't checked my account in a couple months...maybe I should or was this just active accounts?

Saber

Gold Member
Bit of an overreaction wouldn’t you say

Not overreaction in the slightest. Experienced myself and had to ask the help of costumer service(and threat to sue them), because according to that cunt service "the onus was on me for the game that I purchase is not working".

Last edited:

Krathoon

If you say anything really offensive on a gaming service, you will get banned.

You have to say something pretty bad.

I have to watch cussing in the forums on Steam. So far, it has been fine, but sometimes I forget that it is not like a regular forum.

MarkMe2525

When I got my PS5 (March 2021, even though I had preordered in August 2020, but such is life living in Finland) the console broke down in like less than an hour. I'm not sure of the exact time, but I stopped getting notifications for downloads being complete soon after I finished setting up the device and left home, when I came back the thing refused to turn back on.

Called customer support, the representative had me go a checklist (which I already had, but I humored him at any rate), after which he emailed me a PDF to print on a parcel. Did so, shipped the console to France (at no cost, it's included with the shipping information) for repairs, less than two weeks later I receive a new console (the S/N is different so I think this must be the case) and have been happy as a clam since.

Now this is about hardware support, not software support, but as far as the hardware goes, my experience was great. I mean, other than not having a defective console in the first place, but ehh, shit happens especially with early production runs.
This is not a Sony exclusive problem, but I wouldn't consider being without working hardware for nearly two weeks a great experience. These scenarios have pushed me to make large electronic purchases at brick and morter stores. Love em or hate em, it's nice to be able drive to a best buy and leave with a replacement.

Last edited:

nowhat

This is not a Sony exclusive problem, but I wouldn't consider being without working hardware for nearly two weeks a great experience. These scenarios have pushed me to make large electronic purchases at brick and morter stores. Love em or hate em, it's nice to be able drive to a best buy and leave with a replacement.
I would have liked to do the same, but that's not what was available here in .fi. They (a largely online retailer, although they have a few retail locations as well) just redirect me to Sony support. This may very well have been due to supply constraints though, which very much were a thing in early 2021. And well beyond that, as we all know. Had I waited for a new unit from them, I would have waited far longer than two weeks.

MarkMe2525

I would have liked to do the same, but that's not what was available here in .fi. They (a largely online retailer, although they have a few retail locations as well) just redirect me to Sony support. This may very well have been due to supply constraints though, which very much were a thing in early 2021. And well beyond that, as we all know. Had I waited for a new unit from them, I would have waited far longer than two weeks.
It is true that it is all relative. Ps5's were hard to come by for quite awhile.

Top Bottom