• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports of PS accounts randomly permabanned (Up: errors are being reverted and bans lifted)

demigod

Still no emails here... :/ Sounds like it could have been though.

I have 2 factor set up though and no notifications except when I tried to sign in.
2 factor means shit. I was hacked this year on Amazon, Walmart, GNC, Paypal. I have 2 factor on Amazon and they STILL got into my account and ordered shit. 2 factor never popped up. What makes it worse is on Amazon you’re not required to input cvv when saving card on file. Amazon told me to change my password and it would kick the others out but yet they still got in after I changed my password. They were useless so I had to close that account.

Someone was able to change my wingstop password last month and I never got an email to reset the password. After I saw the email about my password being changed, I went to reset the password and lo and behold it gave me the reset email. I’m guessing these hackers are “phishing” cs and asking them to change the password.

Sleepwalker

2 factor means shit. I was hacked this year on Amazon, Walmart, GNC, Paypal. I have 2 factor on Amazon and they STILL got into my account and ordered shit. 2 factor never popped up. What makes it worse is on Amazon you’re not required to input cvv when saving card on file. Amazon told me to change my password and it would kick the others out but yet they still got in after I changed my password. They were useless so I had to close that account.

Someone was able to change my wingstop password last month and I never got an email to reset the password. After I saw the email about my password being changed, I went to reset the password and lo and behold it gave me the reset email. I’m guessing these hackers are “phishing” cs and asking them to change the password.
Definitely, once they have your email for one thing its better to migrate your accounts to a different one. Massive ball ache but worth it.

HAYA8U5A

Seems people on Reddit are starting to get back on in stages. Hopefully just a glitch/server issue and not a hack.

Edit: But then others are also reporting still getting randomly banned (could have been banned earlier and just signing on now though). Why Sony have not taken PSN offline while it is resolved is beyond me.

I can get on the app but going to avoid booting up the PS5 tonight. Got my Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday haul today anyway so just more of an excuse for a movie night.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Crazy. That's why I use virtual debit cards everywhere and not my real one.

2 factor means shit. I was hacked this year on Amazon, Walmart, GNC, Paypal.
tip: create accounts by using a + after your email identity, like demigod+wlmrt@mail.com, this will keep all your email logins semi unique, so even if they manage to get into one account, and you use a single password for all your accounts, they'd still need to figure out what modifier your other accounts use; this is why it's important to always use a different, unique password for the actual email account.
One thing I also do is have my payment stuff like paypal on a unique email address that's not used for anything else, it literally only receives paypal emails, no spam nothing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Easy fix to prevent hackers from stealing shit on your CC, dont save your CC info on your online profile.

Every time you buy something online, just manually enter it each time. It takes like 10 seconds if you know your CC info in your head. 20 seconds if you have to get your wallet.

It's like when you hear about kids charging $1000 to their gaming account buying Fortnite or Roblox mtx. Well, just dont have your CC file online and they cant do it. My bro should had done that. But he was one of those guys whose kids racked up tons of mtx charges. He got a refund though lucky him.

Last edited:

Larxia

It's always "no reason," then we later find out, there's always a reason.
Reminds me of some people on steam who got a VAC ban, saying they never used cheat engine, didn't do anything, and after a while later in the thread "ok, actually I remember my little brother installed cheat engine at some point, but I don't think he ever used it ", and then "maybe he used it on minecraft, but not on my steam games?" and so on :messenger_grinning_sweat:

And sometimes you have the extreme opposite annoying side too, people acting like cops and saying you will be banned from all your games if you use cheat engine in a single player game lol, it's all lies or speaking things they don't know anything about with people.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Definitely, once they have your email for one thing its better to migrate your accounts to a different one. Massive ball ache but worth it.

I have a main email address that I don't give out to anyone, and then for every new site registration I create an email forwarder that forwards emails sent to the forwarding email address to my main email address.

Main Email:
mainemail@domain.net

Forwarders:
website1@domain.net -> mainemail@domain.net
website2@domain.net -> mainemail@domain.net

Et cetera. If one email starts getting spam or gets hacked, all I have to do is delete the forwarding email and I'm good. No other website shares that same email address, so nothing else is compromised.

Boss Mog

This is why I don't link my PSN account to anything else, like discord. Who knows, you say something they don't like while chatting with your buddies and *poof* your account is gone. It's also why I always buy physical unless I'm forced to buy digital (like dlc and smaller games that don't have physical versions).

Hopefully people wake up on this issue, because for now it's videogames, but if Klaus Schwab and his cronies have their way, everything will be this way aka "you'll own nothing and be happy (or else)".

Last edited:

drotahorror

So you get banned from all digital purchases if your account is banned? Holy shit atleast with other services like Valve (VAC ban), EA (retracted, fuck EA), Ubisoft you just get banned from the online services. Granted Ubisoft especially has a lot of online only games.

Several years ago, I used to say the most heinous shit ever, glad I finally stopped. I saw this crackdown on shit talking coming to an end as more and more bans were going out in games I was playing frequently. So I just decided to keep my thoughts to myself, my accounts are way more important than being a dick to someone. It was fun while it lasted though.

Last edited:

Three

So you get banned from all digital purchases if your account is banned? Holy shit atleast with other services like Valve (VAC ban), EA, Ubisoft you just get banned from the online services. Granted Ubisoft especially has a lot of online only games.
Did you miss the "stfu" thread with EA?

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Just skimmed through the reddit thread and it looks that there's quite a few people with the same issue as the OP.

Anyway, both my (UK) and my brother's (US) PSN accounts are fine, thankfully.

Mine is fine too, I have a lot of PSN games and wouldn't be amused to be banned. Not great to see Sony customer service's appalling response to customers. The EU / CMA seem to be asleep at the wheel allowing this sort of arrogance. edit - looks like SOME of the CS reps are more helpful. Sony should have a robust appeals procedure, you should have the right to know what you're accused of and appeal, preferably with a third party regulator to appeal to as a last resort.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Hopefully this can be resolved for those affected.
They track and know everything (you can request your info in the EU through GDPR), someone got a printout of all the homebrew apps they ran on their PS3. Whatever happened here, they can absolutely revert this if it was a mistake.
Damn, always remember to clear your syscalls.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I was banned by doordash, to this day they still won't tell me why, other than I violated thier terms. I guess ordering food is a violation.then, lol.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not mine, but god damn "we can't provide any more information" lol

7zsmdk3vdd4c1.jpeg
We recommend you create a new Sony account :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I hate these companies so much.

Jayjayhd34

Sounds more like your email address is comprised.

How can check this I'm in hospital away from my ps5 and am really worried

Last edited:
This happened to me. I can’t play any downloaded games.

Edit. First I got a request to sign in with my phone. I took the picture which brought me to the PS App. I was then asked to change my PW which I did. I was then permabanned.
Sounds like you might've been phished. Did you scan a QR code?

Would be pretty disaterous if some punk managed to forge and implement a counterfeit malicious QR code in their systems.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Usually I agree. But it's unusual for it to happen to so many people at the same time with many saying no reason.

At one point we have to start thinking perhaps there was some PSN glitch.
It usually happens to so many people at the same time when a new cheat or exploit is released and they all try it

DonF

oh man my psn is from the ps3 era, I would HATE to be banned. Im also afraid to even open the ps app.

Rayderism

My account seems to still be OK. I don't really play online though. I'll play a few racing games online, but the ones I play don't appear to have any actual chatting features. Just connect and race. Otherwise, I don't use ANY of the online social features ever. No friends lists. No uploading any vids, none of that. Never shared my password with a soul, not even my brother who lives in the same house.

I also never bought any of their Discovery videos. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Maybe people using PS Portal from miles away from home through WiFi making things seem shady to PSN algorithms? Who knows.....

I have noticed PSN on the PS5 being a lot more slow and laggy the last month or two though. I've tried things like unplugging the console for a few minutes, clearing the cache, and rebuilding the database, but it never made any difference and doesn't appear to affect playing games themselves.

Last edited:

nowhat

They are somethings happened maybe they've hacked again or something but no way all these account bans are legit.
More than hacking, I'd (so far from what I've read) say this is just Sony's software incompetence.

It's a mystery really. Sony's first-party studios employ some frightfully talented programmers, like seriously S-tier. But I wouldn't trust Sony, the corporation, to program their way out of a paper bag. Why this is, I really can't explain it.

Edit: FWIW, I don't know whether this is related or not - I was redeeming the November PS+ games yesterday, and ran into a bunch of issues with authentication (I have 2FA enabled). Like, I was logged in at first. Then when redeeming a game I wasn't. Then I logged in again, and was able to redeem a game. Until it turns out I wasn't, and had to login yet again. This song and dance went on for quite some time, until I was able to redeem all the games. At least for me, the authentication servers were wonky yesterday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom