• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Request: List of PlayStation Launch Games

soul.less

Banned
Hi, I'm doing a "History" section on a Web site of mine and I'm looking for a complete list of the PlayStation's launch games in the U.S.

Thanks.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hey not a bad site you have there....

I'm wondering though...

your website is associated with the PSP and Xbox 360, right? So why are you doing a history of the playstation on your site? I know the PSP has the playstation name, but I think that's pretty much just a name used for extra sales, and that the real history of the playstation lies exclusively in sony's console efforts.

But that's just me. :)

soul.less

Banned
GaimeGuy said:

I'm wondering though...

your website is associated with the PSP and Xbox 360, right? So why are you doing a history of the playstation on your site? I know the PSP has the playstation name, but I think that's pretty much just a name used for extra sales, and that the real history of the playstation lies exclusively in sony's console efforts.

Thanks, but it's for my other site, souldotless.com, which I recently registered, heh.

Agent X

Total Eclipse Turbo (Crystal Dynamics)
Power Serve 3D Tennis (Ocean)
Street Fighter: The Movie (Acclaim)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (Acclaim)
Rayman (Ubi Soft)
Ridge Racer (Namco)
Battle Arena Toshinden (Sony)
ESPN Extreme Games (Sony)
Kileak: The DNA Imperative (Sony)
The Raiden Project (Sony)

soul.less

Banned
Agent X said:
Rayman (Ubi Soft)
Ridge Racer (Namco)

Thanks!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Agent X said:
Rayman (Ubi Soft)
Ridge Racer (Namco)

Who'd have thought this would be the system that would make gaming cool? :lol

ManaByte

On 9/9/95 you could walk into a store and buy:

NBA JAM Tournament Edition
Street Fighter: The Movie
Rayman
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak - The DNA Imperative
Raiden Project
Ridge Racer
Battle Arena Tohshinden

Don't let idiots tell you MK3 or Tekken were launch games as MK3 didn't hit stores until October 7th and Tekken wasn't until November 8th.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Rayman and Raiden Project. That's it. Wow, what an underwhelming start, eh? Who woulda thunk? :)

Namco's Air Combat came out 4 days later, on the 13th. PGA Tour 96 came out on the 23rd.

November was the killer month for the system with Wipeout, Warhawk, Twisted Metal, Tekken, Gameday, Destruction Derby and Jumping Flash.

Well, it was 1995. You have to go back and compare it to the launches of that early to mid 90s era (Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO, 32X, SegaCD, SNES, and Genny I guess for that matter.) None of them featured any kind of rowsing quantity and quality together. I think the biggest selling point in Sept. 95 was Ridge Racer and how much it bitch slapped Sega's sloppy Daytona conversion for Saturn.

soul.less

Banned
Spectral Glider said:
Well, it was 1995. You have to go back and compare it to the launches of that early to mid 90s era (Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO, 32X, SegaCD, SNES, and Genny I guess for that matter.) None of them featured any kind of rowsing quantity and quality together. I think the biggest selling point in Sept. 95 was Ridge Racer and how much it bitch slapped Sega's sloppy Daytona conversion for Saturn.

That's true... in fact, I'd guess that the first console to perfectly mix quality and quantity together would have to be the Dreamcast, and although it was a terrific game system, it flopped horribly.

ckohler

Battle Arena Toshinden, although a totally forgettable game, was a big system seller for the Playstation. My local Best Buy had both a Saturn (running the then ugly Virtua Fighter) sitting beside the new Sony PlayStation running Toshinden. It was no contest.

Ironclad

That's a pretty terrible launch for what the system is now. :lol

Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64? hmm, seems the exact opposite of the PS1's launch. Maybe you're trying to say that an excellent launch a winner does not make.

ManaByte

Gek54 said:
N64: Mario64 and Pilotwings64

Although Nintendo fucked over the shipments. Mario 64 was shiped 1:1 with the consoles, while Pilotwings was like one copy of the game for every six systems shipped so it was in very low supply. Some stores didn't even get Pilotwings it was so limited.

Raiden Project was a great game, and the first really good home versions of Raiden 1 and 2. Rememberm this is well before MAME.

Ridge Racer is not a gaem I like, but it's up there with Pilotwings, I'd say.

Amir0x

Banned
GaimeGuy said:

I'm wondering though...

That is just you because it makes no sense. Whatever the motivation for using the name, PSP is now part of PlayStation history and is very much a part of the brand going forward. That's just stupid. Sony hasn't seperated the brands, and so PSP = part of PlayStation history.

In fact, even part of Nintendo console history... its handhelds should be included. It's Nintendo Gameboy, Nintendo DS, Super Nintendo/Famicom, Nintendo/Famicom. These are Nintendo videogame brands. Gameboy is as much as Nintendo console history as PSP will become part of Sony's PlayStation brand.

Top Bottom