• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

Ozriel

M$FT
Now sure you can say a lot of that is posturing for the ABK trial, and I’m sure it is. But you can also view starting to shift software on competing hardware as a sign that something did indeed have to give within Microsoft. I think internally a lot of people were frustrated by the money lost trying to compete with Sony rather than the money potentially gained treating Sony as a client. So yeah it’s four games today. A year from now? Well let’s just see.

These ‘leaving money on the table’ arguments are conveniently only centered around Xbox.

MICROSOFT doesn’t have the fan base to maximize Profit out of a Triple A exclusive anymore they will be losing money at this point to not put it on PlayStation and they also conditioned their fan base to Gamepass which doesn’t help .

You could swap Xbox with Playstation in this paragraph and it’ll still be correct.
You make less money from each title when it’s exclusive to one console. but there are other strategic considerations involved in these discussion. And Spencer clearly indicated that Microsoft still has those in mind as they try to push hardware sales and GP subscriptions.

Unfortunately I think you misrepresent that ‘decent sized contingent’ of players who dont use GP. If they were a decent number then you would expect at least some games to healthy sales figures but they simply dont, in fact a lot of studios simply dont bother with Xbox at all anymore, the money they get from GP simply doesnt make up for the loss in sales. The only studios contrary to this are companies with Xbox leanings or first party who somehow never have a bad thing to say…

Source?

fallingdove

You could swap Xbox with Playstation in this paragraph and it’ll still be correct.
You make less money from each title when it’s exclusive to one console. but there are other strategic considerations involved in these discussion. And Spencer clearly indicated that Microsoft still has those in mind as they try to push hardware sales and GP subscriptions.
You really can’t. Development costs, risk of sacrificing customer loyalty, etc.

Sony has established itself as the multi-decade market leader because of the 1st and 3rd party exclusive franchises it has offered — layered on top of access to every other meaningful multi-platform release. Xbox has failed to execute this strategy in almost every way possible.

Xbox has neglected developing exclusive franchises. They’re also generally oblivious to the types of games the market is interested in and the expectations that enthusiasts have. (See Perfect Dark, Crackdown, Redfall, Fable, Halo, Minecraft sequels, etc.)

This lack of understanding has forced the routine purchase of studios/titles — failing to advance leadership team expertise in the process and making it more and more difficult to compete with the deep franchises and ever-growing audiences that Sony and Nintendo posses. (The day 1 PC releases have had a similar effect, watering down any value that their consoles offer in terms of unique/exclusive experiences.)

This has all contributed to their historical occupation of a distant 3rd place.

Xbox has much more to gain by offering their titles on other platforms than Sony or Nintendo. The big titles that they bought (COD, Elder Scrolls, etc.) have a larger aggregate audience outside of the Xbox ecosystem and in-house stuff (Halo, Fable, Forza, Hellblade) have withered on the vine or have little enthusiast recognition and need other platforms to grow the IPs and their respective fanbases.

Last edited:
These ‘leaving money on the table’ arguments are conveniently only centered around Xbox.

Isn't it obvious why?

Xbox has sold a pathetic number of consoles, whilst having a hardware user base fractured by an underpowered tard pack console that Sony wouldn't want holding back their first party games.

The business case for PS games on Xbox just isn't there. And all that is ignoring the damage going multiplatform would do to the PS brand.

ToadMan

I thought it was fairly obvious i was talking about GamePass subscribers. Thats what we were discussing.
i brought up Steam as an analog to highlight that many of these deals aren’t as widespread as you think.

‘Nobody buys games on Xbox because of GamePass’ also doesn’t make sense since we can tell from slowing GP growth that there’s a decent sized contingent of Xbox owners that aren’t interested in subscription services, as echoed by Spencer himself.

It’s clear at this point that GamePass cannibalizes software sales. But twice now you’ve leant into over the top exaggeration. ‘Nobody pays full price for GamePass’ and ‘Nobody buys Games on Xbox’.

I'm one of them. My $1 sub from 3 years ago, expires in 5 days. Not going to renew - I've barely used the service as is - and that means game purchases will be on PC and/or PS5 (and switch but that's different) going forwards as it has been this gen so far.

No reason to stay with Xbox - I have zero investment in that platform. That's what happens to subscribers when they leave GP. They have zero reason to stick around so declining GP subs don't mean an increase in sales on the platform.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Uncharted Legacy if thieves has been on Ps plus extra since its inception. They’ve gotten all the sales they are going to get. Should Sony port it to Xbox?
Sorry friend, if Sony were in the same position that MS have themselves just put them in then yes of course. But Sony haven’t just announced 4 games going to Xbox to test the water.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Uncharted Legacy if thieves has been on Ps plus extra since its inception. They’ve gotten all the sales they are going to get. Should Sony port it to Xbox?

The install base of Xbox is too small and Xbox console users have been conditioned not to buy their content. That's the reason MS is moving to PS5 and Switch.

AAA development is not sustainable at the install base / sales rate Xbox consoles have - especially when the Xbox store doesn't make significant third party revenue.

Fredrik

I'm one of them. My $1 sub from 3 years ago, expires in 5 days. Not going to renew - I've barely used the service as is - and that means game purchases will be on PC and/or PS5 (and switch but that's different) going forwards as it has been this gen so far.

No reason to stay with Xbox - I have zero investment in that platform. That's what happens to subscribers when they leave GP. They have zero reason to stick around so declining GP subs don't mean an increase in sales on the platform.
Yeah similar scenario here but I’ll phase out PS5 as well. The only game I’ve bought on Xbox this generation is Baldur’s Gate 3 but I have that on Steam too.

Problem for me, I have 20 years of investment on these consoles, tons of digital purchases from the 360 days and forward, plus physical games too.

Might not be possible to leave the consoles completely but I’ll phase them out during this year and will focus on Steam and will look back and see how that was in a year or two.

I’m just over spending money on platforms I don’t need. The hobby is expensive enough as it is. And the timed exclusivity strategy that Sony is doing on PC and Microsoft will do on Playstation and Epic are doing on PC just ain’t working for me. Just adds annoyances and/or buyers remorse to every release.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The install base of Xbox is too small and Xbox console users have been conditioned not to buy their content. That's the reason MS is moving to PS5 and Switch.

AAA development is not sustainable at the install base / sales rate Xbox consoles have - especially when the Xbox store doesn't make significant third party revenue.

ahhh this is a massive, massive thing I think many need to address regarding this whole thing.

I don't disagree that Gamepass has its appeal, it has its place and I'd never argue against that in terms of from the consumers perspective, buuuuuut this has conditioned this base to be against buying games at full price, as to why we might be seeing those lower sales on the platform. So its hard for that base to buy certain games, if there is this expectation that they can get it for free day 1 or free down the line etc.

Fredrik

ahhh this is a massive, massive thing I think many need to address regarding this whole thing.

I don't disagree that Gamepass has its appeal, it has its place and I'd never argue against that in terms of from the consumers perspective, buuuuuut this has conditioned this base to be against buying games at full price, as to why we might be seeing those lower sales on the platform. So its hard for that base to buy certain games, if there is this expectation that they can get it for free day 1 or free down the line etc.
Thoughts from someone who has been feeding good on Gamepass the last 6 years on cheap deals and now has to pay the full price.

Gamepass is awesome. For real.
For me it’s like using Netflix for TV shows instead of buying big season boxes. It’s no doubt my preferred way to consume games. Makes me play more games and makes me look beside the 9+/10 bubble.

BUT!
It all come crumbling down when there isn’t enough content and when the subscription fee keeps on getting higher.
I would think the same way with Netflix it there was only 100-200 movies/shows or Spotify if there was only 100-200 albums.
They need to go big with a ton of content for people of all ages and with all types of taste in games. Then people wouldn’t even consider cancelling their sub.
I don’t feel like they’re there yet, not even close.

And my Ultimate subscription ends in February.
Will I resub? Maybe some day, but not now.

I’m going to kick out the consoles from the living room this year so going forward I can see myself subscribing on PC Gamepass on rare occasions, for a month or so when big releases are dropping. There is no consequence of dropping in and out. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to Ultimate and long yearly subs. There is too many low periods with nothing special releases. Like, what’s coming before Hellblade 2 in May? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
w3Mk4Px.gif

That's why gamepass is harming gaming development. Microsoft has being doing "dumping" strategy for years (1€ subs) and now they are surprised of the outcome?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I agree with this. Although I've bought the odd game on my Series S, it pales in comparison to the amount of games I've purchased on my PS5.

My 16 year old son is even worse. He's had a series S for two years and has never purchased a game. If it's not on Gamepass then he just doesn't play it.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's why gamepass is harming gaming development. Microsoft has being doing "dumping" strategy for years (1€ subs) and now they are surprised of the outcome?

In what way?

I agree with this. Although I've bought the odd game on my Series S, it pales in comparison to the amount of games I've purchased on my PS5.

Why in the world would you buy a multiplatform game on Series S vs the much more powerful PS5?
Even if GamePass didn’t exist, I’d question the sanity of anyone buying (for example) Hogwarts Legacy on a Series S if they had a PS5 too.

Last edited:

IDKFA

In what way?

Why in the world would you buy a multiplatform game on Series S vs the much more powerful PS5?
Even if GamePass didn’t exist, I’d question the sanity of anyone buying (for example) Hogwarts Legacy on a Series S if they had a PS5 too.

Because they weren't available on PS5.

Dragon age: Origins, KOTOR and Supreme Commander 2 are a few of them.

Ozriel

M$FT
Because they weren't available on PS5.

Dragon age: Origins, KOTOR and Supreme Commander 2 are a few of them.

Yes. My point exactly. You’ve bought more games on PS5 than Series S because most games ARE multiplatform. And you’re covered for new first party releases with GamePass. On PlayStation, you have to buy first party releases if you want to play them close to launch.

If you didn’t have a PS5, you’d be buying your non-GamePass games on your Xbox

Megatron

This is arguing in bad faith. You know these are different.

Edit: I suppose MLB the show is a decent enough example.

Regardless, what MS is doing is fundamentally different in feel and vibe, and you know it.
Maybe but the argument that ‘this game is done getting sales on its original hardware and could earn more money if it got ported’ is a very valid point and it’s valid for the Halo collection and the Uncharted collection. Hell, I think Nintendo should take any game that didn’t get to 5 million sales and port those too. We should want these games on all systems. It only benefits gamers.

Maybe but the argument that ‘this game is done getting sales on its original hardware and could earn more money if it got ported’ is a very valid point and it’s valid for the Halo collection and the Uncharted collection. Hell, I think Nintendo should take any game that didn’t get to 5 million sales and port those too. We should want these games on all systems. It only benefits gamers.
Does that mean we should port games to the Atari Jaguar and Nokia N-Gage?

We don't port games to all systems, because it is not economical to make the port everywhere.

This is why wiiU had hardly any third party ports, while studios fall over themselves to port to Switch even if it is under-powered. The install base makes the difference.

Xbox had decided in a moment of madness that "Console sales don't matter". Their punishment for that madness is that now they have no pull because their install base is too small to be enticing. This is a self inflicted wound on Xbox's part, they said themselves that this is what they want, so that is what they get. Adults need to live with the consequences of their own actions.

yurinka

Normal, because the Xbox marketshare it's a shit, so if MS locks their games there they won't sell a shit. Because all these popular games they bought sold mostly in PlayStation.

Sony and Nintendo instead have a huge userbase in their own consoles, and Xbox has a tiny market so they wouldn't earn almost anything publishing their own games there, wouldn't be worth it.

trikster40

This is arguing in bad faith. You know these are different.

Edit: I suppose MLB the show is a decent enough example.

Regardless, what MS is doing is fundamentally different in feel and vibe, and you know it.
I wouldn't even classify MLB as a good example. MLB told them to make it multi-platform or they lose the license. Must make them enough to care or else they would have just let it go.

Raven117

I don’t disagree. But there are more considerations than just software sales. Of course to your point… if Zelda came out in all platforms… it would sell a zillion copies.

I wouldn't even classify MLB as a good example. MLB told them to make it multi-platform or they lose the license. Must make them enough to care or else they would have just let it go.
I just meant in the strictest sense… a Sony first party made a cross platform game.

ToadMan

Yeah similar scenario here but I’ll phase out PS5 as well. The only game I’ve bought on Xbox this generation is Baldur’s Gate 3 but I have that on Steam too.

Problem for me, I have 20 years of investment on these consoles, tons of digital purchases from the 360 days and forward, plus physical games too.

Might not be possible to leave the consoles completely but I’ll phase them out during this year and will focus on Steam and will look back and see how that was in a year or two.

I’m just over spending money on platforms I don’t need. The hobby is expensive enough as it is. And the timed exclusivity strategy that Sony is doing on PC and Microsoft will do on Playstation and Epic are doing on PC just ain’t working for me. Just adds annoyances and/or buyers remorse to every release.

Yeah I feel the expense too having so many gaming options. But I do find console gaming to be a different experience to PC gaming so I'd probably keep some console around for now.

But the lined are blurring. BG3 is a good example - for that I hooked my PC up the TV and played with a controller.

WitchHunter

Banned
Thoughts from someone who has been feeding good on Gamepass the last 6 years on cheap deals and now has to pay the full price.

Gamepass is awesome. For real.
For me it’s like using Netflix for TV shows instead of buying big season boxes. It’s no doubt my preferred way to consume games. Makes me play more games and makes me look beside the 9+/10 bubble.

BUT!
It all come crumbling down when there isn’t enough content and when the subscription fee keeps on getting higher.
I would think the same way with Netflix it there was only 100-200 movies/shows or Spotify if there was only 100-200 albums.
They need to go big with a ton of content for people of all ages and with all types of taste in games. Then people wouldn’t even consider cancelling their sub.
I don’t feel like they’re there yet, not even close.

And my Ultimate subscription ends in February.
Will I resub? Maybe some day, but not now.

I’m going to kick out the consoles from the living room this year so going forward I can see myself subscribing on PC Gamepass on rare occasions, for a month or so when big releases are dropping. There is no consequence of dropping in and out. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to Ultimate and long yearly subs. There is too many low periods with nothing special releases. Like, what’s coming before Hellblade 2 in May? 🤷‍♂️
You are too smart, maybe you need reeducation lectures about how you should spend your money, or should we say, give it to the company to see it grow even bigger.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Who gives a shit why? Sony makes games and releases them on Xbox. Why not take the games they can’t sell any more and also put them on XBox? Get some extra sales?

"Who gives a shit why?"

The reasons why are important. You know Destiny 2 was on Xbox before Sony acquired them. You know Sony putting MLB on other platforms was the result of the MLB contract agreement. Microsoft is under no obligation to put their games (owned IPs) on PlayStation or Nintendo Switch unless they're looking to make more revenue. We know the Xbox division is declining in many areas, something Xbox fans choose to ignore.

Why not take the games they can't sell anymore and put them on Xbox?

It takes months to port games over to another console. Sony's studios would have to create teams within most of their development studios just to port games over to Xbox, a small install base where games are proven to reap little to no financial benefits. It would also make Microsoft money.

Microsoft is one out of the three (Xbox, Nintendo, PlayStation) that's struggling with growth. Xbox sales are poor and their biggest investment in Game Pass doesn't seem to be going anywhere as many people have predicted 5 years ago.

Sony doesn't want to give anything to their major competitor.

It takes months to port games over to another console. Sony's studios would have to create teams within most of their development studios just to port games over to Xbox, a small install base where games are proven to reap little to no financial benefits. It would also make Microsoft money.

This made me think about something. Microsoft owns a ton of studios now. Which means they have many that are able to do porting work for them. Just a possibility that they could produce a ton of Nintendo/PlayStation ports at once if they really need that extra revenue.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In what way?
Do we not have TONS of proof by now?
  • Games like Redfall, Forza, Halo Infinite, Starfield, etc., with lots of cut corners and low ambitions just to save cost - because the expected ROI is low due to Game Pass?
  • Moreover, releasing games before they were fully ready just to keep the content pipeline full to avoid subscriber churn.
  • Not to mention the various concerns other game developers and publishers have raised against Game Pass, including your very own Bobby Kottick, that would translate into problematic game development.
At that point, it cannot be said that "Game Pass does not harm game development."

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This made me think about something. Microsoft owns a ton of studios now. Which means they have many that are able to do porting work for them. Just a possibility that they could produce a ton of Nintendo/PlayStation ports at once if they really need that extra revenue.
ABK and Zenimax are ready for sure. They're familiar with porting games to other platforms.

343 and others would need help for sure.

The main issue for MS now is they appear to have changed their strategy recently. They stopped the development of Starfield, Redfall, and Indiana Jones (contract) for PS5 and now they're rumored to bring 2 out of 3 to PlayStation. The reason why I think they're saying it's just 4 now is because it's hard to tell their developers to make PS5 ports when their games are due out within the next 4-6 months.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
  • Games like Redfall, Forza, Halo Infinite, Starfield, etc., with lots of cut corners and low ambitions just to save cost - because the expected ROI is low due to Game Pass?
  • Moreover, releasing games before they were fully ready just to keep the content pipeline full to avoid subscriber churn.
  • Not to mention the various concerns other game developers and publishers have raised against Game Pass, including your very own Bobby Kottick, that would translate into problematic game development.
At that point, it cannot be said that "Game Pass does not harm game development."

All games on game pass are available on retail, and all four examples you have named above are games which got delays from their original projected release dates, in case of Red fall and Star Field, a whole year.

So, no, game pass did not dictate those games development.

"Who gives a shit why?"

The reasons why are important. You know Destiny 2 was on Xbox before Sony acquired them. You know Sony putting MLB on other platforms was the result of the MLB contract agreement.

What about Marathon, it was announced after Sony acquired Bungie.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
All games on game pass are available on retail, and all four examples you have named above are games which got delays from their original projected release dates, in case of Red fall and Star Field, a whole year.

So, no, game pass did not dictate those games development.
Yes, it did. Those games were still not ready for release.

Or do you think Redfall was ready?

IDKFA

Yes. My point exactly. You’ve bought more games on PS5 than Series S because most games ARE multiplatform. And you’re covered for new first party releases with GamePass. On PlayStation, you have to buy first party releases if you want to play them close to launch.

If you didn’t have a PS5, you’d be buying your non-GamePass games on your Xbox

Hard to say because I've had a PS5 since launch and a Series S a year after. I don't know if my buying habits would be the same.

My son on the other hand only has a Series S and hasn't bought a single game. Everything is either F2P (Rocket League, Fortnite etc) or he'll just play what's on GP. He doesn't see the need in buying games.

Ozriel

M$FT

Redfall and Starfield were delayed by MS post acquisition to improve quality. Ambitions for both games were set in stone before the acquisition. Halo Infinite also had the one year delay and landed to excellent reviews. Most issues stem from slow delivery of post-launch content.

No other developer and publisher has made the claim that GamePass harms game development. On the contrary, we have devs praising it for allowing more risks and more experimental releases.

It’s 100% clear you people are just throwing aimless shit around and hoping something sticks 🤣.
I remember when the chief ‘concern’ was that GP was going to see every MS game forced into live service mode and yet a large chunk of their upcoming games are single player.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Who gives a shit why? Sony makes games and releases them on Xbox. Why not take the games they can’t sell any more and also put them on XBox? Get some extra sales?
Why do that, when Xbox is giving their fanbase less and less reason to stay there?
Makes no sense whatsoever to bring PS games to Xbox.

What's funny though, is that Bungie's Marathon is coming to Xbox, as Bungie already made that deal and Sony respects the deal despite aqcuiring Bungie.

Xbox, on the other hand, cancelled the PS5-version of Starfield the moment they aqcuired Bethesda. And now they’ll likely bring it to PS anyway, because Xbox is dying.

Talk about karma.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

Why do that, when Xbox is giving their fanbase less and less reason to stay there?
Makes no sense whatsoever to bring PS games to Xbox.

What's funny though, is that Bungie's Marathon is coming to Xbox, as Bungie already made that deal and Sony respects the deal despite aqcuiring Bungie.

Xbox, on the other hand, cancelled the PS5-version of Starfield the moment they aqcuired Bethesda. And now they’ll likely bring it to PS anyway, because Xbox is dying.

Talk about karma.
One of the conditions of Bungie being bought was that they were to stay multiplatform. Nothing to do with honouring any previous deals, multiplatform was the deal.

Ozriel

M$FT

Talk about karma.

Microsoft has put out multiple Minecraft games on PlayStation, and was right out of the gate to support the PSVR with a VR version of Minecraft.
After acquiring Bethesda, all expansions of existing games have come to PlayStation. Including next gen patches. They’ve also launched Quake & Quake 2 on all platforms.

Funny you mention Bungie…the only reciprocal action because Bungie mandated it as a condition for acquisition.

‘Karma’ indeed. It must have been quite the blow to you to learn that Xbox weren’t going third party 😀

Ozriel

M$FT
Ultimately, it boils down to the same thing then.

It shows that Sony does respect the wishes of Bungie and is not against it per se.

Good thing there’s nobody making the claim that Bethesda demanded multiplatform status as a condition for acquisition, eh?

Top Bottom